• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
Is it the same universe as Yakuza, I know it might be a spoiler so a simple yes or no answer will do, are there returning Yakuza characters?
EDIT: Also how does it run and look? is it 60FPS?
these are not spoiler stuff since it was stated by Nagoshi himself before release.
It's set in Kamurocho, same universe as Yakuza.
Nagoshi said there won't be any Yakuza characters appearing in this game though.
The game runs 30fps on my base PS4. Doesn't have horrible tearing issues like Y6. Basically it feels similar to Kiwami 2.

JK-Money

Attempt to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Devilleon7 is easily the biggest Yakuza youtuber. His content is great and most of it is no commentary. Just pure gameplay, a lot of his stuff is spoiler free too so no worries on that front.

Thanks will check this out! This will be a long wait, but backlog needs to be finished

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Devilleon7 is easily the biggest Yakuza youtuber. His content is great and most of it is no commentary. Just pure gameplay, a lot of his stuff is spoiler free too so no worries on that front.

Ok, I agree with all but one part of your sentence. He's easily the most spoilery person in the Yakuza community - watch one of his vids and watch Youtube fill up your recommendations with spoiler filled vids from him, from final boss fights to hidden fights. I had to block his channel as I kept getting FOTNS spoilers back when it had only just been released in Japan. He's great for gameplay etc. though, no doubt about it.

Is it the same universe as Yakuza, I know it might be a spoiler so a simple yes or no answer will do, are there returning Yakuza characters?
EDIT: Also how does it run and look? is it 60FPS?

30FPS, 1080p on the Pro from what I understand. Dragon Engine isn't hitting 60FPS on the PS4, maybe PS5 if we are lucky. No returning Yakuza characters from what I understand unless its a super secret, while the game is set in present day Kamurocho (2018) its supposed to stand on its own which I like. Very much a part of the larger Yakuza universe (MCU style). Other than Kamuro, only other thing directly linked to the Yakuza series that makes an appearance here is the Tojo Clan, but the faction within the Tojo Clan for this game has not appeared in the main series.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Ok, I agree with all but one part of your sentence. He's easily the most spoilery person in the Yakuza community - watch one of his vids and watch Youtube fill up your recommendations with spoiler filled vids from him, from final boss fights to hidden fights. I had to block his channel as I kept getting FOTNS spoilers back when it had only just been released in Japan. He's great for gameplay etc. though, no doubt about it.
Really? I take back what I said then. He was pretty chill when it came to Y6 stuff but if he's been getting worse then there's no defending that.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Really? I take back what I said then. He was pretty chill when it came to Y6 stuff but if he's been getting worse then there's no defending that.
Yeah, I watch/listen to a lot of retrospective Yakuza stuff on Youtube and as soon as I started FOTNS (the Japanese release, I started it a month late) I had vids from him spoiling the appearance of the final boss/hidden boss. Its not entirely his fault mind, as Youtube recommendations suck so much for just spoiling stuff but his titles and thumbnails are blatant spoiler material and for JE and the upcoming Shin RGG I want to try and stay in the dark where possible ahead of playing them.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Yeah, I watch/listen to a lot of retrospective Yakuza stuff on Youtube and as soon as I started FOTNS (the Japanese release, I started it a month late) I had vids from him spoiling the appearance of the final boss/hidden boss. Its not entirely his fault mind, as Youtube recommendations suck so much for just spoiling stuff but his titles and thumbnails are blatant spoiler material and for JE and the upcoming Shin RGG I want to try and stay in the dark where possible ahead of playing them.
Wow, that's really annoying, sucks man :/

I definitely think it's the best decision to just avoid these channels as much as you can in that case.

everyer

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
anyone know of hardcore Yakuza streamers or youtubers that i can watch play Yakuza and this game, not really story wise but more for gameplay to get a feel of the game?
Highly recommend a Chinese streamer. Who did the world first beaten this game without leak in streaming, He skipped all animations.

His channel:
https://space.bilibili.com/10962046?spm_id_from=333.788.b_765f7570696e666f.2

Full walkthrough of the game in hard mode:
https://www.bilibili.com/video/av37340537

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a big fan of Tim Rogers, didn't see a new thread for this but here you go

Really good video/article. Shows off the beginning of JE nicely. I kinda like how the conversation mechanics work - basically just rewarding you for asking the right questions. Its not as non linear as LA Noire was, but seeing as they almost certainly only have one plot/outcome to the story I never expected it. Still not sold on the tailing stuff though.

Desmond

Oct 25, 2017
That Tim Rogers piece (whoever he is, not familiar with him) is a tad hyperbolic. While great, Judge Eyes isnt better than Zero, 2, Ishin, or the PSP games. Combat needed more refinement, and some of the detective techniques are literally just tacked on. It plays too much like Yakuza at times. Not enough to distance itself and makes me wonder why they added new mechanics that don't go far enough to distance itself.

HaremKing

Banned
Dec 20, 2018
I'm a big fan of Tim Rogers, didn't see a new thread for this but here you go

Just watched the 3 hour intro and my goodness that guy goes on so many different tangents. Was pretty entertaining though, and the game looks rather fun in a way I figured a Yakuza x LA Noire mashup could be. Thanks for sharing. Has this been confirmed by SEGA to come to PC or is it PS4 only for now?

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Just watched the 3 hour intro and my goodness that guy goes on so many different tangents. Was pretty entertaining though, and the game looks rather fun in a way I figured a Yakuza x LA Noire mashup could be. Thanks for sharing. Has this been confirmed by SEGA to come to PC or is it PS4 only for now?
PS4 only for now. We've still not got any info on where Kiwami 1 is on the PC and that was supposed to be out by end of 2018.

On the brighter side, I started Judge Eyes for myself today. And its absolutely fantastic so far. I still need to put more time to get its systems down more, but the improvement to the engine, content and combat over Kiwami 2 are already pretty great. Won't be long now before the newer games are as content filled as 0 or even 5...

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Game looks great. Even though Yakuza 0 exists, I know people that still think the series looks cool but impenetrable at this point.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
X posting this from the Yakuza thread, finally completed the first chapter: 8 hours... and that was with me mainly just focusing on the story. Yeah. This game is going to take me quite a long time to finish if each chapter is packed with content like this!

So the first chapter introduces is preceded by a short prologue chapter that introduces Yagami and most of the other main characters and acts essentially as a tutorial to basic combat and investigation aspects. Then its into the first chapter...

The chapter focuses around one particular murder case and most of it involves a mix of gathering evidence in order to strengthen your case (sorta like a more free roam Phoenix Wright - its linear so you gotta go to all the plot points and get all the evidence) but there is one set piece about half? way through the chapter where you get the option of storming a building by force, by stealth? (I think that was an option) or using a disguise. Naturally I took the disguise route as that sounded like the most fun option - its a mix of lockpicks, finding more evidence and then when inevitably your disguise fails, good old fashioned brawling - this particular set piece I really enjoyed as you scout out the entire building via drone first before you make the choice as to how you enter, so you get a brief idea of the layout of it. Again, its linear so its not as if its hard to navigate, but I liked the extra layer of immersion.

Combat wise the set pieces have some brilliant cinematics, QTEs and EX actions you can use (and Kaito rocks as a buddy to fight beside). Difficulty wise it feels at least a notch above the last couple of Yakuza games, because EX moves aren't doing insane damage so that's nice. I like the more underpowered nature of Yagami, helps makes the longer fights last and feel more epic when you take out a boss.

There's also loads of side stuff to do which I've basically not touched yet (so really, most of the 8 hours is me doing the story) but you have friend events which mainly just require you to shop/eat at places and get to know the owners/workers and you eventually earn perks/new EX moves.

Mini game wise I've mainly just been focusing on Puyo Puyo - it had a challenge to beat all 10 rivals (required for the 100% trophy) so of course that basically means you need to win 30 consecutive times in the game. That took a few tries but I nailed it down in the end! While 90% of the trophy list is really straight forward the 100% requirement is basically what happens if you take the sheer number of requirements of Yakuza 6, then make all of them required for the trophy, not just some of them. Great for me who enjoys this stuff loads, not so good for anyone wanting an easy plat like 6 ;)

So in terms of opening chapters. This is right up there with 0 - maybe even better as stuff opens up faster and there is just so much to do. This is the kind of thing that could be sold as an episodic game (or just its own game outright) and you'd still have more content than many other games I've played. And I've still got like another dozen to clear!

Story wise the cinematics are fantastic and as expected characters are brilliant. And the chapter ends on a nice cliffhangar hook for the story to branch out further. Can't wait to play more :)
Only real negative I see is the game having trailing sections. But it depends on how many they have, as it was easily the weakest section of the game for me, though it was so short that it isn't really that bad. Just not especially fun.

Yung Kyubii

Banned
May 12, 2018
Combat looks goofy as fuck, but I have read many positive impressions. Maybe it plays out better than what it looks like, as was the case with Yakuza 0 for me.

Desmond

Oct 25, 2017
Be prepared for a lot of tailing, Shadow lol

One side event had trailing AND chasing, I was livid

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
I'm up to Chapter 7 of Judge Eyes (13 total), I've been doing every Side Case and Friend Event as they become available, and I've almost hit 50 hours on the clock.

I absolutely love it. They have done so well with this premise of a legal drama TV show in video game form; the cast of characters is wonderful, they're balancing an intriguing over-arching story with really great standalone 'episodes' and shorter story arcs, and the overall themes and tone are a really nice change from your average Yakuza game. This game is lighter, often even comedic (and well done comedy, too!) and deals with very different kinds of character relationships to the tried and true father figure/kyoudai stuff in Yakuza, but RGG Studio's writers still absolutely nail it.

I don't want to speak too soon since I'm only halfway through, but boy I really like this game. Let's say what I've played so far has been a top tier first half of a game :P

Desmond

Oct 25, 2017
I'm up to Chapter 7 of Judge Eyes (13 total), I've been doing every Side Case and Friend Event as they become available, and I've almost hit 50 hours on the clock.

I absolutely love it. They have done so well with this premise of a legal drama TV show in video game form; the cast of characters is wonderful, they're balancing an intriguing over-arching story with really great standalone 'episodes' and shorter story arcs, and the overall themes and tone are a really nice change from your average Yakuza game. This game is lighter, often even comedic (and well done comedy, too!) and deals with very different kinds of character relationships to the tried and true father figure/kyoudai stuff in Yakuza, but RGG Studio's writers still absolutely nail it.

I don't want to speak too soon since I'm only halfway through, but boy I really like this game. Let's say what I've played so far has been a top tier first half of a game :P
I'm in the same boat, just finished a really fun section in chapter 7. Have 35 of the friend events done but the Ebisu Clerk friend event is a pain in the ass lol

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I love chases though. Its basically channeling Shenmue QTEs (good) and not whatever the heck they were doing in Yakuza 3 (baaaaaaaaaaaaad!). Nice to hear you enjoying it loads matrix-cat :) I can't believe how much I enjoyed it based solely on the first chapter, I almost passed on importing the game (to wait for its English release) but I'm so glad I relented on that one as I'm loving the heck out of the game.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Fuuck, these impressions are getting me so excited.

Not excited about tailing or chasing people though lol. Hopefully they're a piece of cake on easy.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Fuuck, these impressions are getting me so excited.

Not excited about tailing or chasing people though lol. Hopefully they're a piece of cake on easy.
They are a piece of cake on hard. So no worries there. You can even get some upgrades to make them easier (basically making less sound/harder to detect. Its more the length and pace of them. Its really no worse than your standard tailing scenes (which I've played across many games, and enjoyed 0 of them, even when you have badass powers like in Gravity Rush or Spidey) but at least they aren't as bad as in the PSP Yakuza games at least!

ara

Oct 26, 2017
They are a piece of cake on hard. So no worries there. You can even get some upgrades to make them easier (basically making less sound/harder to detect. Its more the length and pace of them. Its really no worse than your standard tailing scenes (which I've played across many games, and enjoyed 0 of them, even when you have badass powers like in Gravity Rush or Spidey) but at least they aren't as bad as in the PSP Yakuza games at least!

Alright, that's good to hear. Boring tailing I can take, hard (usually frustratingly so) tailing is something I've hated since, like.. GTA 3.

Desmond

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I bumped the game up to hard and it's been a cakewalk. I don't think tailing/chasing is even determined by the difficulty setting

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
Oh this thread is bumped again.
I am on the last chapter right now so I should be beating it within a day or two.