• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication
Title changed per OP's request. Again

KaCo

The Wise Ones
The Fallen
May 22, 2018
Judgement is probably being prepped to be a new franchise alongside Yakuza. Given the positive momentum that Yakuza has now in the west, having Judgement come out with an English dub for its first entry is really smart. They can try to ride that positive wave of Yakuza's success while building a new path.

Gosh, if so I hope it does really well. With the cast, it seems much more expensive then the regular Yakuza game LOL

LAM09

Oct 25, 2017
Had hope for an actual day. Nice to see the team give the game the best chance of thriving from the get go.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Is the combat pretty similar to Yakuza? I love the yakuza story but i just can't get into the combat so i always end up dropping the games half way through.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
More important than english dub, they should spend that localization budget on translating subs in more languages. I have several friends here in France who will never touch a Yakuza game because they don't understand English.

Anyway, I'll be getting this day one, it's one of my most anticipated games. I was hoping it would come a little sooner but summer is still okay.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017

Wow, this is crazy! This means that the English subtitles for the English dub will be different than the subtitles for the Japanese dub, so there won't be any situation where the subtitles won't match what they were saying because they had to take liberties with the dub. That's a lot of extra work and they will still manage to release the game just half a year later after the Japanese release. Rock on, Sega localization team!

JunkerWoland

Jun 8, 2018
It's dual audio what's the problem?
Adapting the game for English audio generally means making additional localization compromises to facilitate natural sounding dialogue, and ultimately even playing with Japanese audio, you'll be reading a transliteration of the dubbed script. This isn't inherently an issue for me, but at times in games it leads some funky dissonance between text and native audio. As I previously said, I'll follow the game's development, but if I don't particularly care for how the dub is sounding, I might pass on the title.

::edit::
Just saw the above post/tweet. Looks like they'll be producing a separate set of subtitled text for the Japanese audio, so my previous concerns are apparently unfounded. That's really going above-and-beyond and seriously appreciated.

Bizzquik

Chicken Chaser
Nov 5, 2017
Really happy by the turn-around by Sega this console cycle. Yakuza finally found an audience out west, and this may well, too.

Hope their work with the English dub pays off for them, and I'm glad we have options to choose!

RyougaSaotome

Oct 25, 2017
Adapting the game for English audio generally means making additional localization compromises to facilitate natural sounding dialogue, and ultimately even playing with Japanese audio, you'll be reading a transliteration of the dubbed script. This isn't inherently an issue for me, but at times in games it leads some funky dissonance between text and native audio. As I previously said, I'll follow the game's development, but if I don't particularly care for how the dub is sounding, I might pass on the title.

You should probably check out the post directly above you.

They're doing two separate subtitle tracks. lol

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
looks fucking amazing and glad to see dual audio is confirmed, not that there was any doubt. def playing this subbed

been calling it judge eyes for these past few months that now having to call it something else is weird lol

Akumatica

Oct 25, 2017

Wow, this is crazy! This means that the English subtitles for the English dub will be different than the subtitles for the Japanese dub, so there won't be any situation where the subtitles won't match what they were saying because they had to take liberties with the dub. That's a lot of extra work and they will still manage to release the game just half a year later after the Japanese release. Rock on, Sega localization team!

I was just coming from twitter to post that. This is great news!

flattie

Nov 5, 2017
Sweet. Looking forward to this. Happy to see sega are continuing to get these games translated and shipped in fairly reasonable time frames.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I hope dual audio pays off for them. It seems risky and unnecessary from where I'm standing.

They want to see if they can expand the series sales potential, which is fine by me. After so many games, I think I'll stick with the Japanese dub, anything else in Kamurocho would just be weird for me now.

Doing an English dub just shows they have high hopes for this game.

Chessguy1

Oct 25, 2017

wow no idea what option i will use to play..

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I hope for at least on SHOTEH FOCK OP in the game.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
Is this the same universe as Yakuza games?

Yes, it even takes place in Kamurocho. Not sure if it will reference any events from the Yakuza games, though. It might be as "easter eggs" for fans of the series but outside of that it will be fully playable and understandable even if people didn't play the Yakuza games. It's an entirely new IP.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Dual audio!?

My dream came true.

After playing all the Yakuza games with subs, plus Lost Paradise, it would've been weird to play with an English dub.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Oh man this is nice.

I will play my first playthrough with Japanese for sure but I'd like to play the game with English VA on my second run. Also this will help get more people into the game which is super cool.

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wow look at that, SEGA realized that making a quality localization of a good game would be rewarded. If only someone told them that for years and years...

Rosur

Oct 28, 2017
Yes, it even takes place in Kamurocho. Not sure if it will reference any events from the Yakuza games, though. It might be as "easter eggs" for fans of the series but outside of that it will be fully playable and understandable even if people didn't play the Yakuza games. It's an entirely new IP.

Cool, was wondering as the trailer mentioned it in Kamurocho and it being run by Yakuza. I do wonder if we will meet Yakuza characters at all.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
Is this in the same world as Yakuza? That kind of looked like kazuma doing the dropkick

Kuni

Oct 27, 2017
That's a surprise! Was getting this regardless but an English dub is one nice bonus. I don't know how that team does it!

Deleted member 2618

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Judgement is probably being prepped to be a new franchise alongside Yakuza. Given the positive momentum that Yakuza has now in the west, having Judgement come out with an English dub for its first entry is really smart. They can try to ride that positive wave of Yakuza's success while building a new path.
Yeah definitely. Since Yakuza is also at a point in the story that is prime for people to jump into the series as well (I'd say more than 0 even), I can easily see Shin Yakuza or whatever it'll be called having a dub as well.

Plus if they're really smart about Judgment being a new series, they should alternate releases between it and Yakuza yearly. That way itll be at least somewhat of a better pace between entries. They both fill that type of game so I can see it happening.

KiLAM

Jan 25, 2018
So I am guessing it comes sometime in August(based on previous Yakuza releases) which means we will get Shenmue 3 and Judgment very close to each other.
Damn

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
Hope it sells well enough for the dual audio to be worthwhile. I'm really looking forward to the game, in any case.

Chessguy1

Oct 25, 2017
Oh man this is nice.

I will play my first playthrough with Japanese for sure but I'd like to play the game with English VA on my second run. Also this will help get more people into the game which is super cool.

yeah prolly what i'm going to do

first run sub
second run like 6 months later dub -- cancelled if the game is bad but you know that isnt happening