• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Oct 27, 2017
Basically the cons list can be summed up as: "It's like a Yakuza game."

Especially the "it's the same old Kamuro-cho" point, if only because of 7 mainline Yakuza games, nearly all of them having you spending a significant amount of time there. If Judge Eyes/Judgment is a 7 for this, so is literally every Yakuza game outside of the first one. Same with the points about linearity and cutscenes/dialogue. Cinematic direction and high-fidelity scenes are one of the main draws of the games this studio makes.
The full review provides more nuance but I couldn't translate everything

SothisKrieg

Oct 25, 2017
Gamekult is a tough outlet, but I like that about them. They even have a meme: "It's a 7!" because that's what they rate most good games, compared to 10's and 9's of the US.

I will add that Gautoz has given too many 9 for the GK scale imho :p Well who cares anyway, their written reviews align very well with my tastes most of the time and i think it's the most important.

Their RDR2 review aligns perfectly with me for instance.

Anyway the game seems good.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, sounds good to me. I have incredibly high hopes for this game.

danmaku

Nov 5, 2017
Sounds like the classic strenghts and weaknesses of the series. I like Yakuza, but they could use some trimming on these neverending dialogues. Also, since this isn't a Yakuza game, how about a new area of Tokyo? Shibuya? Shinjuku? Akihabara? It would be great to explore a new map with the usual level of detail, but nope.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
Bad:
It's still the same old Kamurocho

Bad? In my opinion, this is absolutely a positive thing. I love revisiting familiar locations in games... getting fresh new locations is great and all, but there's something special about returning somewhere you've been before and seeing what has changed and what stayed the same. And after several Yakuza games, I can now find my way around Kamurocho without having to stare at a minimap. As long as you're going to different places within Kamurocho, staleness is a complete non-issue.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Is this like a red light district or something? I'm unaware of the meaning of the term.

Kamurucho = ficitional Kabuchiko (red light district in Japan)

The amazing thing is that they Kamurucho always gets updates with new entries and you can navigate it almost the same in real life. I just visited it for a short time this year and it was really cool : )

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
What the hell... Imagine reviewing FIFA and saying 'Same old grassy pitch', and, 'Be prepared for a lot of men kicking balls!' If part of the draw of the series is your 'cons' you probably shouldn't be reviewing the game.

FIFA is called...FIFA?
This is called Judgement, it is not called Yakuza, i love Yakuza, but it is clear that Judgment has a lot of reused assets from Yakuza Dragon Engine titles and it's ok to point it.

Sep 28, 2018
FIFA is called...FIFA?
This is called Judgement, it is not called Yakuza, i love Yakuza, but it is clear that Judgment has a lot of reused assets from Yakuza Dragon Engine titles and it's ok to point it.

It's set in the Yakuza Universe... Set in the same city. It's just about a Judge rather than a member of the Yakuza. This IS a Yakuza game in all but name.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
There's a reason Gamekult isn't used on Metacritic... 7 for them is high praise.

SprachBrooks

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kamurucho = ficitional Kabuchiko (red light district in Japan)

The amazing thing is that they Kamurucho always gets updates with new entries and you can navigate it almost the same in real life. I just visited it for a short time this year and it was really cool : )

Did you erm, use any of the services there?

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
Good score, don't understand the ''prepare for a lot of dialogue'' critique, was the dialogue bad? If not then why is it a bad thing?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Oct 27, 2017
Oct 30, 2017
Bit disappointing that it seems to be the same old bread and butter, but not terribly surprised given how popular the Yakuza series is now.

I'm beyond burned out on the Yakuza gameplay loop so this is a pass for the time being.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
These games need a real shake-up, the repetitious gameplay is starting to become stale. I'm still in for Judge Eyes, but I'm expecting a FotNS-level game and not Yakuza.

/edit: did they really just take the same map as every Yakuza? That's kinda balls.

Be prepared for a game made by the Yakuza team plays like an Yakuza game....makes sense.
Binary Domain didn't play like Yakuza. If this is the only type of game you can make, I'd say you're coasting as a studio.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
Bad? In my opinion, this is absolutely a positive thing. I love revisiting familiar locations in games... getting fresh new locations is great and all, but there's something special about returning somewhere you've been before and seeing what has changed and what stayed the same. And after several Yakuza games, I can now find my way around Kamurocho without having to stare at a minimap. As long as you're going to different places within Kamurocho, staleness is a complete non-issue.
This was a good point maybe 5 games ago, but I think they're pushing it now.

OP
OP
Oct 27, 2017
thats what im thinking

there are a ton of japanese reviews and the western version is many months away
This isn't the first review though. IGN Japan among others have already reviewed it:
https://jp.ign.com/judge-eyes-sinigami-no-yuigon/31886/review/judge-eyes
I searched 'judge eyes reviews' and didn't find a thread

Anyway, I'm posting this for free and have no obligation to do so, if it's not good enough for you I don't know what to say

Valdega

Banned
Sep 7, 2018
"Bad:
It's still the same old Kamurocho
Be prepared for a lot of dialogue "
Yea i wouldnt call that bad

If it's anything like Yakuza, I would. Yakuza's conversations have pretty awful pacing, especially the serious ones. The side-quests are tolerable because they're so zany but I think streamlining the dialogue would be a big improvement. Short and sweet, please.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
I searched 'judge eyes reviews' and didn't find a thread

Anyway, I'm posting this for free and have no obligation to do so, if it's not good enough for you I don't know what to say
This forum is pretty western focused, only real popular japanese games get their famitsu scores posted here as threads since they are famitsu otherwise not many here would pay that much attention to what's currently import games, those would get import threads if enough people here would show interest. This disparity in release windows does hamper interest in general.

As for the similiarity issue, can't fault the point. Not an issue for my personal tastes. Joking around what i'd say is that you can't call it a Yakuza game since there is no karaoke in this game, instant disqualification, we all know that's the real reason to call this a spin-off series.

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
It's hilarious Sega created a new IP and it still they reused Kamurocho yet again. Inyakuza you had the excuse they needed that to cut development cost and time, but they did a new IP just to, yet again, re-use the same assets and locations from Yakuza games while putting new stuff in at the same time, which is not really different than releasing another Yakuza game.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Yeah for context, 7/10 from gamekult is always a really good score, they use the full scale and they never gave a 10 yet! Plus it got editor choice here

Here's what they say about 7 on their website :

A 7/10 is an appealing game in many aspects, which will be fun for many players. A safe bet if you like the genre, and for the other they can try it with low risk of disappointment

While i wouldn't put dialogue in bad (although i understand why it would be for some people, sometimes they speak for really long time just to say one little obvious thing), Kamurocho again is definitely there! While i love the place, after 7 games there it's becoming quite tiring

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
For reference:

Fist of the North Star got a 4
Kiwami 2 got a 7
Kiwami 1 got a 7
0 got a 7
6 got a 7
4 got a 7
3 got a 6
5 got a 6
Dead Souls got a 5

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
People complaining about reusing Kamurocho, probably should play the game first before being so down on that choice. Its actually a pro and not a con for some people (like me). It actually shows a different side to the city, and thanks to the investigative side of the gameplay there are far more buildings to enter and explore as your solving the various cases that the game throws at you throughout the chapters. Makes the city feel more "alive" I guess, and this is helped by the side cases and friendship events which again help build that "lived in" feel to the city - as you get to know the various people who inhabit Kamurocho, and unlike Yakuza where they just disappear once the side story is done, these stick around and help Yagami throughout the game in various ways, even going so far as joining you in random encounter fights to provide backup.

I'd also argue against the game feeling repetitive, I've put 55 hours into the game so far and am half way through the games story, and repetitive would be the last thing I'd use to describe the game. They've toned down any sort of completionist grind (its not gone completely) and the pace of the games story and side content just feels "better". Its hard to describe exactly but in the time I've spent on the game so far, despite putting in 100 hours to a Yakuza game just the other month, I'm playing this daily without any hint of boredom, its bloody brilliant.

Only thing that feels to close to Yakuza maybe is the combat. Because... well it is similar, but Yagami's move list is thankfully quite different from most protags. Its kinda a mix of Akiyama, Tanimura, and Bruce Lee. You've got a ton of brand new moves and EX moves, and you can combo off walls in various ways now. It starts off slow but once you start unlocking moves like the wall combos, one inch punch, and even a Shinku Hadoken for the VR mini game (not real VR mind you) it just gets way more fun.

Oh, and the story is without a doubt one of the best in the Yakuza universe. I'm loving it so far and I'm not even in the end game where things usually get insanely hype (I can only imagine what that'll be like). As usual the team have crafted an intriguing story with a fantastic cast of characters.

Oh. And for the person who asked - the game is set after Yakuza 6, if you remember 6's story there's a certain event that hits part of the city, and you can still see that in JE
Little Asia was hit by a huge fire, and its still being rebuilt

Moves better than a Yakuza? I don't even understand...
Aside from a few control tweaks to dashing/running which feels much more intuitive control wise than the Dragon Engine games (as you don't have to hold a button down to dash, so you can run and move the camera at the same time) Yagami is far more mobile in combat - more dash attacks, wall attacks etc. He's just a more agile and versatile character than Kiryu was.

John Frost

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
That's a good score from Kamui, he really likes the Yakuza series.

Plus his game of the gen is Bloodborne, so he's okay in my book. He also thinks that Nier automata deserved a better score than the 7 that was given by Gamekult from another reviewer. The guy has good taste.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
Sounds decent.

It's still disappointing they're using Kamurocho again. At this point it's genuinely surprising that the Fist of the North Star game wasn't just inexplicably set in Kamurocho.

You know I feel like this may be better off this way. Kamurocho has been utilized so much that it's densely packed with little wrinkles that make it a memorable location. As long as they do enough to mix it up to keep it fresh like the series seems to have been doing for some time.

In FOTNS, the city feels really barren and lacking in personality in comparison to Yakuza games and I think the need to create a whole new area is partly to blame.

I think "returning to Kamurocho" shouldn't been seen as a problem as much as "how similar is it to Kamurocho from Yakuza 6?" should.