• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
Glad to hear it was successful for them. I am a bit surprised considering the sales were not looking too good at all.

Hoping if they can make a sequel it is far removed from the Yakuza tropes though. Give it more of a unique identity while Shin Yakuza goes completely insane with the series' gimmicks.

Will be there for sure day one on PC.

Oct 25, 2017
I played through like 6 chapters just generally enjoying myself, but somewhere around there I became absurdly hooked and ended up with 4 girlfriends and 42 friends and I'm not sure what was even going on in the main story for a bit. I was on chapter 7 for like 20 hours. I still haven't finished, but the game has its claws dug in and I keep playing. Would definitely be down for a sequel, if the mystery is even half as good as this one it'll be incredible

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Have they confirmed the localization already? Would be amazing to get it day 1 with Japan
They haven't even announced the actual title lol

But since they confirmed the localization for Judgment the moment it was announced, I expect them to the same here for Shin. I don't expect day and date release with Japan though.

If I had to guess 4-5 months after the Japanese release would be when we could expect the western version.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
Yes more Yakuza and more Judgment using the kickass dragon engine! I was a fan before but these games are so much more visually appealing, allow for a lot more exploration, and feel far more immersive with that new engine.

Mupod

Oct 25, 2017
They need to iron out some gameplay mechanics, but the story was really great. I would definitely buy a sequel.

yeah the tailing missions...could be better. I don't mind the chase sequence or investigation stuff. It does seem a bit repetitive sometimes that every mission ends up being one or more of those, but I guess in Yakuza games they end up being random fights instead. Overall I get what they are going for and they really do change the feel of the game enough from the Yakuza formula to have its own identity. They just need more refinement and variety. I don't even want them to get rid of the tailing stuff, it actually fits the game well, I'd rather they just made them more interesting and spread them out a bit more.

Either way, the story has really picked up in the back half and I'm riveted now. Yagami is a fun protagonist too.

krg

Oct 27, 2017
I was playing the demo the other day and it grabbed me instantly. I really want it to come to PC with Fist of the North Star.

DualEdge

Jun 11, 2018
Not entirely sure why this is surprising news to them. People finally know about their studio through the growing success story that is Yakuza. Still, I'm glad that this has franchise potential now.

D-Man

Oct 25, 2017
Did my part and bought it on Day 1 so I'm glad it did well but I have yet to play anything past the first 40 minutes since I was sucked into Dragon Quest XI at the time. Really gotta give it a go before the end of the year.

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
Excellent. Judgment is great and I'd love to see a follow-up that improves on a few things (Ex. I'd like to see a Judgment 2 differentiate itself a bit more from Yakuza, and focus more on the detective side of things).

Nayeon

Oct 29, 2017
I'd instantly buy a sequel. I'd even preorder it if it were to have the Karaoke minigame. That's my only gripe with Judgment. The lead actor is a singer and SEGA refused to offer Karaoke? Almost criminal!

Still - my favourite game of the year so far.

Deleted member 13155

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Its a masterful game. Some things far better than Yakuza, some things kind of worse. But the characters are A, the story is good and the cutscene directing is ace as usual.

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Hell yeah, it's my favorite game from them so far personally, I loved the intrigue and how it integrated the Yakuza stuff but didn't centralize it.

Feels like the perfect game from them to give us a female playable character, too. I love Yagami but throw in another town with a female detective he works a case with, or something.

Also more Saori
Dont even need to be a new female detective, just put Saori on the job. She was already playable in the 1st one for a short bit, so she can help with investigation work as well, just send her to a new location to investigate something on her own while co-operating with Yagami to solve a case or gather enough evidence for court cases.

MGPanda

Feb 25, 2018
I'm actually playing it right now and gotta agree with some people here. Even with its issues, it's easily one of my favourite RGG Studio games (and that's saying something, Yakuza is one of my Top 3 favourite series). I wasn't expecting it to be this good.
I was thinking the same thing. a Female protagonist would fit this IP like a glove.
Holy shit, yes! RGGS constantly shows how they're actually a pretty progressive studio (for a japanese standard, that is), so a badass female protagonist would be absolutely awesome!

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I've been praising the game since its Japanese release, its a fantastic game (like all Yakuza games really). So glad to hear its reportedly meeting Sega's expectations, next up is Shin RGG which we'll finally get some info on this week, the Yakuza train never stops it seems (I type this as I get ready to finish Yakuza 5's finale again!)

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Dont even need to be a new female detective, just put Saori on the job. She was already playable in the 1st one for a short bit, so she can help with investigation work as well, just send her to a new location to investigate something on her own while co-operating with Yagami to solve a case or gather enough evidence for court cases.

I agree, cos Saori is awesome, but I could see RGGS wanting to have every playable character be combat focused or have something similar enough, like Haruka's dance battles

Then again it'd be pretty in-character for Saori to inexplicably be a master of tai chi or something, and I'd be all for that

MadeULook

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Washington State
Currently on chapter 10 with almost 50 hours played and still having a blast with Judgment. Glad to hear it's been selling well and I would definitely be one of those to pick up a sequel day one.

The tailing can go away though. I wouldn't miss that.

Renteka-Bond

Chicken Chaser
Dec 28, 2017
Clearwater, Florida
Good job y'all. Wish I could say I helped, but I didn't. After trying Yakuza 0 and Fist of the North Star, I was already kinda burned on the style, but I wanted to support them for getting an English dub (but I didn't). I'll pick it up when it finally comes to PC, but for now, I'm probably still not gonna pick it up anytime soon.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This pleases me. I have yet to buy the game; I will do so eventually.

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I agree, cos Saori is awesome, but I could see RGGS wanting to have every playable character be combat focused or have something similar enough, like Haruka's dance battles

Then again it'd be pretty in-character for Saori to inexplicably be a master of tai chi or something, and I'd be all for that
Better yet, make it like a Shenmue where Saori decides to train martial arts and keep getting better at it . And yes a Tai Chi kinda style would fit her like a glove. Something more elegant to contrast the crazynes of Yagami moves.

Same way as Harura had her dancing lessons in Yakuza 5 where we had the teacher lessons then the dance battles on the street, we could have similar mechanics where Saori would go train in a dojo where she learn and unlocks new fighting skills, then use the punks on the streets for practice and experience.

Nugnip

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how much the French, German, Italian and Spanish localization helped. It's the first time a Yakuza game (or Yakuza adjacent) gets translated this way and I know a ton of people here in France who never played a game like that before who picked this one for that reason.

ValKiryuSonicEX

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Great to hear, hope this also means that they keep doing high-quality dubs for the games, the one in Judgment was pretty damn good.

brokenswiftie

Prophet of Truth
Banned
May 30, 2018
this is awesome news!!!
just finished yakuza 3, I plan to tackle this as soon as i finish 4,5 and 6
already have the game though lol

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
Have they confirmed the localization already? Would be amazing to get it day 1 with Japan

If they're gonna do what they did with Judgment, they might announce a localization the day they show major footage.

Unless I'm mistaken, they plan on showing Shin Yakuza this week, on the 29th. If not there or TGS, it'll be a later announcement.

Akabeko

Oct 27, 2017
That's great news. I should finish the game tonight or tomorrow and really enjoyed my time with it so far.

[Sigma]

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Great to hear but at the same time, more mission variety please. Wayyyyy too many tailing and chase missions of the exact same thing. You can have those missions and put some variety/variants within those missions so it doesn't get absolutely stale. Please don't bring back the drone racing.

Apr 24, 2018
Awesome news. I'm playing through Kiwami II right now and will likely pick up (and play) Judgement before the end of the year.

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Well deserved. While there are some aspects I hope they improve upon. I'd definitely like to see a continuation of the series in conjunction with Yakuza.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Great to hear, not got round to it yet due to still being a bit burnt out on the Yakuza formula, but I'm sure I'll love it when I get round to it.