• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 31, 2017

He was the Secretary of Housing and Urban Development under Obama and the former Mayor of San Antonio.

He also made the keynote speech at the 2012 DNC.

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
I'd be cool with it, he seems like an awesome dude. Though he wouldn't make it far, especially since there's a more famous/popular democrat from Texas who's also probably gonna run in 2020. Castro is unfortunately not very well known.

Last edited:

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
Republicans will run that name into the ground worse than "Crooked Hillary" and Barack "HUSSEIN" Obama.

Seems like a good dude though. I'd vote for him.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't have the name recognition to win I don't think but by all means let him run and show us what hes got.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm all for it as a fellow hispanic. But Texas may already have another front runner for candidacy. Well see later on who knows.

THE210

Nov 30, 2017
Seems like he or his brother should make a bid for Governor or senator first

Last edited:

Deleted member 31923

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I'd be cool with it, he seems like a cool dude. Though he wouldn't make it far, especially since there's a more famous/popular democrat from Texas who's also probably gonna run in 2020. Castro is unfortunately not very well known.

This. I'd vote for him, but it's hard to see him get anywhere with Beto in the running. I'm not sure he would get anywhere even if Beto doesn't run.

Republicans will run that name into the ground worse than "Crooked Hillary" and Barack "HUSSEIN" Obama.

Seems like a good dude though. I'd vote for him.

Yeah, he would give Cubans in Florida even more of an excuse to vote for Trump. Unfortunate name.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
Julián is great, but his quest for the presidency seems insanely quixotic. And the whole idea that he should vault directly from Mayor to HUD Secretary to President seems to be that a Texas Dem can't win state office, and so has to jump straight to the presidency, except now how do you go up against Beto who said fuck that and actually tried? I'd have a lot more respect for Castro if he had jumped on the ticket with Beto and made a run for Attorney General of Texas, because looking at how things turned out, he could've won it, but he was already all in on the presidency instead.

If Beto runs for president, Castro should suck it up, accept that he's now Texas' #2 Dem, and run for Senate and hope that a Beto presidential campaign plus his own talents will be enough to put a dent in Cornyn.

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017
feels weird that he decided the best thing for his brand would be to disappear for a couple years.

how many presidents have had "cabinet secretary" as their highest previous office?

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
I'd vote for him. He was a pretty good mayor, as far as I remember.

Fun fact: I wouldn't have been able to get into college if it wasn't for a program he helped establish for poor students.

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, he can try

But Idk who is going to vote for him. He backed off when the party asked him to run for Governor in Texas. Many insiders are probably still upset about that. We really REALLY could have used him, a bad governors race hurt us so much

Beto at least tried. He spent the last two years working, walked across every spec of dirt in Texas, and now has a lot of experience on how to organize and run a large scale campaign. Castro could have got the same. Or he could have even won. Or helped Beto cross the finish line.

His brother Julian has more election experience. I'd rather he run at this point tbh

Indiana Jones

Oct 27, 2017
Ehhh... Castro's a midcarder and the 2020 Dem Royal Rumble is filling up with main eventers.

He should run against John Cornyn in 2020.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This dude used to be in the spotlight as a promising up and coming democrat but he just fell off

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
Could some of y'all popular red state progressives actually win an election in your home state?

Thanks in advance.

At least Beto/Abrams/Gillum tried to run in a statewide race in 2018 (each of which resulted in several downballot Democrat wins)... Castro sitting 2018 out is pretty unforgivable in my eyes, given the consequences of that election.

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
Ehhh... Castro's a midcarder and the 2020 Dem Royal Rumble is filling up with main eventers.

He should run against John Cornyn in 2020.
He should but he won't.

He legit said on Colbert "I hate congress and never want to work there".

Like, I don't understand why he thinks being President will be better than working in Congress or something, seeing as how, who the President has to work with to achieve anything, but, whatever I guess.

But yeah in a 2020 cycle where there is going to be so many people contending I have no idea where he fits in or who his base will be

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
His last name is going to be an issue.
The fact he will never poll over 1% and most primary voters wont even know he is running is probably more of an issue.

Never heard of Obama once before he ran. Granted, I was in middle school so..
Obama was nationally well known before he announced in Feb 2007. In the 2006 midterms Obama was the most popular candidate that those running called on to come do rallies for them. He was a hugely popular figure that everyone tried to get to their rallies in 2006.

Dec 6, 2018
He probably should have started making moves a year ago. I guess since he was Sec of HUD he has enough experience to at least not be a joke but he fades into the background against ost of the other candidates. He could probably be a decent VP pick though

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
I just got a text from MoveOn with results of a poll they conducted regarding 2020 candidates:

X2seMAT.png

That large "Don't know" contingent is very healthy.

I wish the three women were on top, frankly, but Beto being above Biden is a pleasant surprise.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
His last name is going to be an issue.
Nah, the 'D' beside his name and skin color is worse than his name. Especially considering you got the ghoul Ted Cruz in Texas and Marco Rubio over in Florida. Jesus could run as a Democrat and Christians wouldn't vote for him because he's a liberal.

Edit: Oh...Castro...right. Because everyone named Castro has to be a dictator from Cuba just like every Mohammed is a terrorist. Gotcha.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
Just no. The dude does not excite and I don't really see significant achievements he can tout either.

He also is not going to turn Texas blue like Beto could.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
You're either willing to vote for Trump or not.

The idea that we need a centrist in 2020 to somehow court those stuck in the middle is so insane and outmoded to me.

Dec 6, 2018
I just got a text from MoveOn with results of a poll they conducted regarding 2020 candidates:

X2seMAT.png

That large "Don't know" contingent is very healthy.

I wish the three women were on top, frankly, but Beto being above Biden is a pleasant surprise.

LOL at Bloomberg being above Booker. I didn't realize that Warren was less popular than Harris, perhaps that's just Californians?

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
Bloomberg placing at all is utterly baffling, but yeah, Booker seems like a weak candidate.

Dec 6, 2018
The common consensus is that either Warren or Sanders will run correct? Not both at the same time. Since they could be considered interchangeable that should put a more progressive candidate higher.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The common consensus is that either Warren or Sanders will run correct? Not both at the same time. Since they could be considered interchangeable that should put a more progressive candidate higher.
Both are likely to run and both have been making moves to run. And I don't know a single progressive who wants Warren to win. She is completely toxic option as a nominee after the DNA debacle angered the base.

Most Dems want neither. No more over the hill 70+ year olds.

Dec 6, 2018
Both are likely to run and both have been making moves to run. And I don't know a single progressive who wants Warren to win. She is completely toxic option as a nominee after the DNA debacle angered the base.

Most Dems want neither. No more over the hill 70+ year olds.

Yeah I feel age will be the defining divide of the primary, I just hope Beto is a bit more progressive and was holding himself back for the rest of Texas.

But are you sure about the Warren, Sanders thing? The Atlantic seems to think otherwise:

"'his decision is an audience of one: Elizabeth Warren,' the Sanders adviser says bluntly. No matter his appetite for running, he's conscious of her potency. 'They have to sit down and figure out who's going,' the adviser added. "

I also feel like the DNA thing will be old news by that time.

Hokahey

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Why does he sound like he's trying not to wake somebody up in the other room in that video?