• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They can't. The only way they can add new charges is if the UK agree to them. Which they won't if it includes the death penalty.

So trusting the UK not to later down the line not give a shit because Assange isn't our problem at that moment in time?

Your confidence in the UK and American governments is to be applauded, but let us see how this all plays out over the next few years.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At this moment in time yes. You still put the onus on America only doing that and/or not trying to find a way to push for more. As I said, I don't trust America, and for me he should be getting extradited to Sweden.
You're saying that, by acknowledging that he's going to get a light sentence, I'm advocating for him to be killed?

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You're saying that, by acknowledging that he's going to get a light sentence, I'm advocating for him to be killed?

No? What I said was I'm not all that impressed with the apparent confidence everyone now has in the UK and more so American Governments. Especially considering how Trump and a lot of his cronies are now backpedalling and acting.

Obviously, Snowden is now a Russian plant, but it's also funny seeing the disconnect between Cenk/EFF and others and some of the comments in this topic

D7PMvwv.png

The greater point being whatever your thoughts on how shit a person Assange is, there is a landslide of ethical issues and considerations about simply cheering the US on here, and even the UK. If the UK gave a shit Assange would be going to Sweden first.

One has to probe why Trump's Government is going in on such a "weak charge"? Is it just to get Assange into the US?

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
So trusting the UK not to later down the line not give a shit because Assange isn't our problem at that moment in time?

Your confidence in the UK and American governments is to be applauded, but let us see how this all plays out over the next few years.
I do not see any reason to think the US either WANT to kill Assange or that the UK will change so much as to allow it. Theresa May has prevented extraditions to the US for hacking when they carried overly harsh sentences, and she's been doing so since before she was Prime Minister.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
The greater point being whatever your thoughts on how shit a person Assange is, there is a landslide of ethical issues and considerations about simply cheering the US on here, and even the UK. If the UK gave a shit Assange would be going to Sweden first.
When and if Sweden restore the charge against him and put in an extradition request, I'll agree that he should face those charges in Sweden first. Until they do, you can't blame the UK for it.

AzorAhai

Oct 29, 2017
Liking Assange is one thing, seeing that Justice is being used as a political tool in more and more countries is another. The stakes are far more important than this man.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I do not see any reason to think the US either WANT to kill Assange or that the UK will change so much as to allow it. Theresa May has prevented extraditions to the US for hacking when they carried overly harsh sentences, and she's been doing so since before she was Prime Minister.

Theresa May has also been directly responsible for a load of shit as home secretary, so forgive me for not thinking she's now the bastion of trust

In August 2013, May supported the detention of David Miranda, partner of Guardian journalist Glenn Greenwald, under the Terrorism Act 2000, saying that critics of the Metropolitan Police action needed to "think about what they are condoning".[51]Lib Dem peer and former Director of Public Prosecutions Ken Macdonald accused May of an "ugly and unhelpful" attempt to implicate those who were concerned about the police action of "condoning terrorism".[51] The High Court subsequently acknowledged there were "indirect implications for press freedom" but ruled the detention legal.[52]

May also championed legislation popularly dubbed the Snooper's Charter, requiring internet and mobile service providers to keep records of internet usage, voice calls, messages and email for up to a year in case police requested access to the records while investigating a crime. The Liberal Democrats had blocked the first attempt,[53] but after the Conservative Party obtained a majority in the 2015 general election May announced a new Draft Investigatory Powers Bill similar to the Draft Communications Data Bill, although with more limited powers and additional oversight.[54][55]

But I guess everyone online commenting on this from an ethical point of view, should just sit back and trust the UK and US?

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
This is like pointing to the disconnect between Donald Trump Jr and the posters in the Mueller report threads.
Yeah. I'd rather be on the same page as the Washington Post than Cenk.
Theresa May has also been directly responsible for a load of shit as home secretary, so forgive me for not thinking she's now the bastion of trust
Look up what she's done when the US wanted to extradite people for hacking and put them in jail for decades.

Of course she's shit. But she has a very clear record on this exact specific issue that I'm not going to pretend doesn't exist.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Look up what she's done when the US wanted to extradite people for hacking and put them in jail for decades.

Of course she's shit. But she has a very clear record on this exact specific issue that I'm not going to pretend doesn't exist.

I'm not asking you not to pretend it doesn't exist, I'm suggesting people don't trip over themselves to celebrate because a man has been got you want to see get got. The actions and ethics of both the UK and US still need to be scrutinised even in the face of "bad people".

It's not like we talk about the Wars, Guantanamo Bay and more and just *shrug* because "There are terrorists and bad people involved here". The President of fucking America, unsurprisingly, but still chillingly, is lying and deceiving in the face of this extradition. To me, that alone is grounds for the UK to delay handing Assange over to America.

Irrespective of any Americans going "but Trump lies all the time".

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017

But I guess everyone online commenting on this from an ethical point of view, should just sit back and trust the UK and US?

From an Ethical point of view he should be in jail

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm kinda baffled by the position of many in here

Him getting Russia as an ally is understandable since the US would kill him if possible. Didn't Snowden did the same?

If the hate is regarding the sexual abuse allegation, ok ... I get it.

But the other arguments here seems to be pretty government defensive, which is baffling to me. Even after all that's been leaked?

Maybe I'm missing something
Getting backed by Russia predates virtually everything. We didn't know it then, we know it now. Assange and wikileaks actions in the past decade are not that of neutral "truth minded" people, but that of an organization explicitly interested in working against any country's issues except Russia, who they would scrub out of "leaked" documents.
The people whining about press freedom and attacks against journalists look real fucking dumb because Assange is not a journalist.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Getting backed by Russia predates virtually everything. We didn't know it then, we know it now. Assange and wikileaks actions in the past decade are not that of neutral "truth minded" people, but that of an organization explicitly interested in working against any country's issues except Russia, who they would scrub out of "leaked" documents.

The people whining about press freedom and attacks against journalists look real fucking dumb because Assange is not a journalist.

So what next, every one of these organizations, including the noted Freedom of the Press/EFF, is simply Russian stooges or "really dumb people"? There is zero value in them scrutinising the charges of America and what Trump is now doing?

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
So what next, every one of these organizations, including the noted Freedom of the Press/EFF, is simply Russian stooges or "really dumb people"? There is zero value in them scrutinising the charges of America and what Trump is now doing?

Engaging in criminal activity is not a press freedom

He's a damn anarchist that didnt follow any ethical process for gathering his information and endangered lives and society with his actions

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do you really think that Assange isn't a Russian intelligence asset? Do you think that Paul Manafort was merely a "campaign manager"?

I didn't say Assange wasn't. I asked for you to elaborate on your "real fucking dumb" comment as I assumed you had some more insight that could make all of these reputable organizations look "real fucking dumb"?

Dude Abides

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If he did what you describe, that's aiding and abetting. He's going down. Offering to help a spy cover up their tracks is not small beer.

He's not charged with aiding and abetting.

I agree he's probably going down, as I said, because American criminal law is rather farcical (though maybe a juror or two will see this for what it is). Anyone else would get a plea but he's an enemy of the NatSec state.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't say Assange wasn't. I asked for you to elaborate on your "real fucking dumb" comment as I assumed you had some more insight that could make all of these reputable organizations look "real fucking dumb"?
Because actual journalists redact their information to avoid harm. Assange actively didn't do that because he wanted snitches to get stitches. From not protecting intelligence sources with the Manning stuff all the way up to not redacting credit card numbers and personal information with the DNC hack. The only thing wikileaks ever redacted to protect anyone was stuff that would make Russia look bad.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

He's a damn anarchist that didnt follow any ethical process for gathering his information and endangered lives and society with his actions

So you put the Trump administration on better standing than the Obama administration on the charges America currently has levied?

For years, the Obama administration considered indicting WikiLeaks publisher Julian Assange, before rightly concluding it could not do so without encroaching on core press freedoms. Now almost nine years in, the Trump administration has used the same information to manufacture a flimsy and pretextual indictment involving a "conspiracy" to violate the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act—based entirely on alleged conversations between a journalist and source. While the Trump administration has so far not attempted to explicitly declare the act of publishing illegal, a core part of its argument would criminalize many common journalist-source interactions that reporters rely on all the time. Requesting more documents from a source, using an encrypted chat messenger, or trying to keep a source's identity anonymous are not crimes; they are vital to the journalistic process. Whether or not you like Assange, the charge against him is a serious press freedom threat and should be vigorously protested by all those who care about the First Amendment.

How about scrutinising both?

Yeah sure, but some of you really aren't doing that as now apparently Trump and May can be trusted without any real deep dive into their Governments.

Or as Kirblar implies, everyone is just really fucking dumb if they don't see things as simple/black and white as he does.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I'm not asking you not to pretend it doesn't exist, I'm suggesting people don't trip over themselves to celebrate because a man has been got you want to see get got. The actions and ethics of both the UK and US still need to be scrutinised even in the face of "bad people".

It's not like we talk about the Wars, Guantanamo Bay and more and just *shrug* because "There are terrorists and bad people involved here". The President of fucking America, unsurprisingly, but still chillingly, is lying and deceiving in the face of this extradition. To me that alone is grounds for the UK to delay handing Assange over to America.
You're asking me to ignore the kind of actions taken against people who have hacked the US, to believe that the US will try and put Assange to death. I am against the death penalty in all circumstances. If the US start trying to put people like Manning and Assange to death, I would evidently be against it.

But you've failed to convince me it's plausible enough to worry about.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
So you put the Trump administration on better standing than the Obama administration on the charges America currently has levied?

Yeah sure, but some of you really aren't doing that as now apparently Trump and May can be trusted without any real deep dive into their Governments.

Are they not scooping up hackers that were in the employ of Wikileaks or at least at the direction? I say follow the money

There is no way he was JUST publishing from sources. His sources didnt maintain a journalistic relationship.

And if we are wrong about this then the charges will be overturned in court

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You're asking me to ignore the kind of actions taken against people who have hacked the US, to believe that the US will try and put Assange to death. I am against the death penalty in all circumstances. If the US start trying to put people like Manning and Assange to death, I would evidently be against it.

But you've failed to convince me it's plausible enough to worry about.

Asking you to be wary of trusting the US given the invested interests they have in this case is not implying any certainty around what they might do. It's reminding yourself and others you can't simply cheerlead your Government when it's convenient. The way your Government and Trump are acting right now is raising suspicion, and even the Labour party in the UK knows that the Conservatives have a lot to answer for when it comes to handling foreign policy, no matter what they say one day from the next.

There's also a reason many reputable outlets online are saying what they are saying. Read and pay some thought to this whole process is all I ask, I don't really care if you see it as a question of whether I convince you or not. It's up to yourself to convince yourself in your own beliefs and the amount of trust and thought you give to the State(s) swarming around this case.

If you want to play 'argument from authority' I'll again direct you to the Washington Post's position on this.

Stating that Assange should face justice for what he has done is not the same as stating there are ethical concerns about the current specific charges America is using to get him onto US soil.

Some of you seem to be so rigid in conflating "Assange needs to face justice" that you simply think anyone questioning the current charges also believes Assange should be a free man facing no charges at all.

Last edited:

Irminsul

Oct 25, 2017
Well, just take a step outside the American bubble and you can find a lot of (mainstream) newspapers who aren't really psyched by the idea of Assange getting extradited to the US. Just as an example, the Austrian "Standard", a left-leaning, mainstream newspaper and one of the most frequented German-speaking news websites:

Nun aber droht ihm sehr wohl eine Auslieferung an die USA, wo sich Trump kaum für die indirekte Wahlkampfhilfe dankbar zeigen wird. Davon sollten die britischen Behörden Abstand nehmen. Ob Assange in den USA einen fairen Prozess nach europäischen Maßstäben erwarten kann, ist zumindest fraglich. Zu groß ist die seit Jahren aufgestaute Wut über die peinlichen Enthüllungen durch Wikileaks. Das hat die Whistleblowerin Chelsea Manning, die ihm einst als US-Soldatin die Dokumente über den Irak geliefert hat, durch ihre jahrelange Haft zu spüren bekommen. Und auch wenn die Vorwürfe der US-Justiz gegen Assange derzeit limitiert sind, wäre eine Verurteilung des Wikileaks-Gründers auch ein Schlag gegen die Pressefreiheit. Aber Assange ist nicht die Lichtgestalt, als die ihn viele darstellen, sondern Teil jener Kräfte, die heute an der Zerstörung der liberalen Demokratie arbeiten. Er verdient Fairness, aber keine Bewunderung.

"Now, however, there's a real danger that he will be extradited to the US, where Trump probably won't be thankful for his indirect help in the election campaign. The British authorities should refrain from that. Whether Assange can expect a fair process in the US that adheres to European standards is questionable at least. The rage built up over years by the embarrassing disclosures on Wikileaks is simply too big. This has been felt by whistleblower Chelsea Manning who, as a US soldier, gave him access to documents about the Iraq war and was incarcerated for years. Even if the charges by the US authorities against Assange are limited right now, a conviction of the founder of Wikileaks would be dealing a blow against freedom of the press. Still, Assange isn't the luminous figure he's depicted as by some, but a part of the forces working on destroying liberal democracies today. He deserves fairness, not admiration."

Again, that's not some fringe opinion you can only find at this single newspaper. I can find a lot more, again in mainstream European newspapers. It's even pretty clear that Assange is a bad guy according to this comment, but it is still against extraditing him to the US. Because the US is the problem. No wonder you won't find opinions like this in the Washington Post.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Asking you to be wary of trusting the US given the invested interests they have in this case is not implying any certainty around what they might do. It's reminding yourself and others you can't simply cheerlead your Government when it's convenient. The way your Government and Trump are acting right now is raising suspicion, and even the Labour party in the UK knows that the Conservatives have a lot to answer for when it comes to handling foreign policy, no matter what they say one day from the next.

There's also a reason many reputable outlets online are saying what they are saying. Read and pay some thought to this whole process is all I ask, I don't really care if you see it as a question of whether I convince you or not. It's up to yourself to convince yourself in your own beliefs and the amount of trust and thought you give to the State(s) swarming around this case.
Why would I entertain the notion that the US are lying that they won't extradite him on anything that would give him the death penalty?

Have they been giving people like him the death penalty? Have they been bait and switching extradition requests? Have the UK been letting the US extradite people for hacking they wanted to put in prison for life or multiple decades?

Yes, Trump lies about *everything*. Yes, May is a terrible Prime Minister. Yes, Trump wants to harm brown foreigners, but he's got zero record of going after white people that got him elected who are friends of Russia.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why would I entertain the notion that the US are lying that they won't extradite him on anything that would give him the death penalty?

Have they been giving people like him the death penalty? Have they been bait and switching extradition requests? Have the UK been letting the US extradite people for hacking they wanted to put in prison for life or multiple decades?

Yes, Trump lies about *everything*. Yes, May is a terrible Prime Minister. Yes, Trump wants to harm brown foreigners, but he's got zero record of going after white people that got him elected who are friends of Russia.

When it comes to ethics in situations like this, many concerned voices rightfully act before the fact. Questions are aired on the presumptions of what could happen or may happen versus what is certain to happen.

If you have a Government, let alone a President, acting disgracefully in the public eye, deleting tweets and conversations, then that simply fuels suspicion. So many outlets like the ones quoted above are going to raise concerns about that and also point to the Obama administration decision-making that was different from the Trump administration around this singular charge.

The death penalty is getting mentioned for two main reasons, it's part of legal recourse for the espionage act. Something the US was investigating Assange for in 2010

After WikiLeaks released the Manning material, United States authorities began investigating WikiLeaks and Assange personally with a view to prosecuting them under the Espionage Act of 1917.[138] In November 2010 US Attorney-General Eric Holder said there was "an active, ongoing criminal investigation" into WikiLeaks.[5] It emerged from legal documents leaked over the ensuing months that Assange and others were being investigated by a federal grand jury in Alexandria, Virginia.[139][140] An email from an employee of intelligence consultancy Strategic Forecasting, Inc. (Stratfor) leaked in 2012 said, "We have a sealed indictment on Assange."[141] The US government denies the existence of such an indictment.[142][143]

And also because the current sitting President of the US, mentioned it himself

"I think it's disgraceful. I think there should be like death penalty or something," Trump said of the website. The 2010 comments were uncovered by CNN's KFile.

Whether or not it's a 0.00000001% reality of ever being considered or a 0.00002% reality, is not simply why it's ethically being discussed and concern raised around the people in the US Government that are currently leading these charges.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Well, just take a step outside the American bubble and you can find a lot of (mainstream) newspapers who aren't really psyched by the idea of Assange getting extradited to the US. Just as an example, the Austrian "Standard", a left-leaning, mainstream newspaper and one of the most frequented German-speaking news websites:

"Now, however, there's a real danger that he will be extradited to the US, where Trump probably won't be thankful for his indirect help in the election campaign. The British authorities should refrain from that. Whether Assange can expect a fair process in the US that adheres to European standards is questionable at least. The rage built up over years by the embarrassing disclosures on Wikileaks is simply too big. This has been felt by whistleblower Chelsea Manning who, as a US soldier, gave him access to documents about the Iraq war and was incarcerated for years. Even if the charges by the US authorities against Assange are limited right now, a conviction of the founder of Wikileaks would be dealing a blow against freedom of the press. Still, Assange isn't the luminous figure he's depicted as by some, but a part of the forces working on destroying liberal democracies today. He deserves fairness, not admiration."

Again, that's not some fringe opinion you can only find at this single newspaper. I can find a lot more, again in mainstream European newspapers. It's even pretty clear that Assange is a bad guy according to this comment, but it is still against extraditing him to the US. Because the US is the problem. No wonder you won't find opinions like this in the Washington Post.
Many reputable people are arguing against his extradition. I'm not pretending that isn't the case. My post was mainly to counter the notion that the reputable sources are all against it, and that the people supporting it are just posters on message boards.

And you will find opinions like that in the Washington Post. It's just the opinion of their own staff that Assange aint shit, and that this doesn't erode freedom of the press and I happen to agree with them.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Many reputable people are arguing against his extradition. I'm not pretending that isn't the case. My post was mainly to counter the notion that the reputable sources are all against it, and that the people supporting it are just posters on message boards.

And you will find opinions like that in the Washington Post. It's just the opinion of their own staff that Assange aint shit, and that this doesn't erode freedom of the press and I happen to agree with them.

Well, seeing as you've primarily been arguing with me, I want to make it clear I never made those claims. The journalism world is split over this, on both political sides (right/left).

The EFF and Freedom of the Press are reputable sources, but I do agree they are still only two outlets in a sea of dispute and conflict around Assange and the current US charges.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
When it comes to ethics in situations like this, many concerned voices rightfully act before the fact. Questions are aired on the presumptions of what could happen or may happen versus what is certain to happen.

If you have a Government, let alone a President, acting disgracefully in the public eye, deleting tweets and conversations that simply fuels suspicion. So many outlets like the ones quoted above are going to raise concerns about that and also point to the Obama administration decision-making that was different from the Trump administration around a singular charge.

The death penalty is getting mentioned for two main reasons, it's part of legal recourse for the espionage act. Something the US was investigating Assange for in 2010

And also because the current sitting President of the US, mentioned it himself

Whether or not it's a 0.00000001% reality of ever being considered or a 0.00002% reality, is not simply why it's ethically being discussed and concern rasied around the people in the US Government that are currently leading these charges.
Yet again, the US is not going to extradite him for espionage. They haven't included that charge in the extradition request, and they have made assurances that they won't. The UK won't honour the extradition request if they did, and wouldn't approve such charges if the US asked to add them later.

I don't see any reason to keep talking about espionage. If he gets the death penalty (or anything close to a life sentence) you're welcome to serve me endless plates of crow, but again, you've failed to convince me it's a probable enough outcome for me to keep expending energy discussing or worrying about it.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yet again, the US is not going to extradite him for espionage. They haven't included that charge in the extradition request, and they have made assurances that they won't. The UK won't honour the extradition request if they did, and wouldn't approve such charges if the US asked to add them later.

I don't see any reason to keep talking about espionage. If he gets the death penalty (or anything close to a life sentence) you're welcome to serve me endless plates of crow, but again, you've failed to convince me it's a probable enough outcome for me to keep expending energy discussing or worrying about it.

That's fair enough, you can check-out and not worry about it then. Others will still talk about it and raise their ethical worries about what the US could or might do, and/or what the UK may or may not do later down the line.

Oct 25, 2017
"Hurts national security" is in the same family of phrases as "hurts small business" or "reverse-racism." Vague enough to seem plausible at some level, rarely validable in practice, but absolutely an excuse for those in power to protect their power.

You don't have to be a journalist for journalism laws to apply. There is no certified journalist, just people posting enough stuff. Assange clearly has some deal with Russia, but regardless even if he was an official arm of the Russian government posting US secrets is not illegal, only leaking them is. And in fact, US citizens should demand that these secrets are published because as we've seen this stuff that is buried under "national security" often includes things like war-crimes, so no, they should never get the benefit of the doubt and we should not allow them to seek retribution for embarrassing our armed forces. But neither does this doesn't excuse all the other shit you can pin on Assange, who is a career asshole.

Oct 28, 2017
Have the UK been letting the US extradite people for hacking they wanted to put in prison for life or multiple decades?

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by this but it bears mentioning that Assange is being indicted under the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act, which offers wide latitude for stacking numerous felonies for largely innocuous acts and can potentially result in large penalties. See: the Aaron Swartz case.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
The effort to establish Assange as a legitimate journalist is astounding and I'm depressed by the number of people on the populist left who are assenting to this narrative. Assange is not a journalist and his corporation, WIkileaks, is not a journalistic outlet. Breaking into private property, stealing classified information, and sharing it with hostile political actors is not journalism. Strategically releasing private information at the behest of politicians, dictators, autocrats, and strongmen as a means to disparage opponents of those people & organizations is not journalism. Maintaining a platform that supports espionage efforts by hostile intelligence agencies is not journalism.

If Julian Assange is a journalist, then so are Nixon's plumbers who broke into the Watergate Hotel.

I'm not astounded or depressed by the number of people on the populist right who are looking to defend Assange. We always knew they were idiots.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I'm not entirely sure what you mean by this but it bears mentioning that Assange is being indicted under the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act, which offers wide latitude for stacking numerous felonies for largely innocuous acts and can potentially result in large penalties. See: the Aaron Swartz case.
The UK has denied at least 15 extraditions on such charges. As of the most recent case I found (https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-42946540), they hadn't granted any such extraditions.

Due to how extraditions work, they can't stack charges after the fact. If they were trying to extradite Assange on the kind of charges they were trying to extradite Lauri Love (he was facing a maximum of 99 years), I doubt it'd be approved.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
Apathy towards how America may handle this might not be the exact same as openly saying "I want this guy killed", but it's cowardice from some that show their true inner thoughts suggesting they don't really care what America might do if it happens to a bad man.

If "I don't want him extradited if it could mean facing the death penalty" is apathy in your book, this entire conversation is meaningless.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
If you find yourself defending Julian Assange, remember, you're defending someone whose organization posts anti-semitic tweets, who blames his persecution on a "radical feminist conspiracy," and who smears his feces on the wall of the embassy that was harboring him, in addition to playing the useful idiot to homophobic dictators and autocrats.

Assange is in more danger staying in the UK then getting jailed in the US.

So he will be safer in a US jail

Yeah, this is probably true. It would likely be a matter of time before he finds a strange chemical smeared on his face.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
He's not charged with aiding and abetting.

I agree he's probably going down, as I said, because American criminal law is rather farcical (though maybe a juror or two will see this for what it is). Anyone else would get a plea but he's an enemy of the NatSec state.

You're quibbling. The charge is conspiracy. I find it interesting that you're still pushing this notion that this is a farcical law. If two or more people are engaged in a joint criminal enterprise, why should they not all be tried on that basis? It's a law that has equivalents in practically every jurisdiction on the planet, and rightly so.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you find yourself defending Julian Assange, remember, you're defending someone whose organization posts anti-semitic tweets, who blames his persecution on a "radical feminist conspiracy," and who smears his feces on the wall of the embassy that was harboring him, in addition to playing the useful idiot to homophobic dictators and autocrats.

Yeah, this is probably true. It would likely be a matter of time before he finds a strange chemical smeared on his face.

Also remember, it's possible not to defend any of that whilst still talking about the actions of two Governments and what may come of it.

The desire people on the internet have to conflate "here's all this genuinely horrible shit you must now be defending" with "Having a serious ethical debate on charges/crimes and Governments" is peak poisoning the well.

Nothing rustles my jimmies more than the intellectual dishonesty required of someone to quote a serious post with some sort of variation of "So this means you now support rape?".

I'm not necessarily saying you're doing this The Albatross, but your opening remark leans towards that kind of logic. Which I have to say always seems to be missing if we talk about terrorist mistreatment at Guantanamo Bay or somewhere else. No one really goes "So you're pro-terrorist because you're commenting on the actions of a Government towards terrorists?".

Deleted member 44129

Banned
May 29, 2018
So... About the personal hygeine stuff, and smearing shit up the walls... His hosts were the only thing keeping him safe.... So is the assumption that he is basically mentally ill at this stage?

Dude Abides

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You're quibbling. The charge is conspiracy. I find it interesting that you're still pushing this notion that this is a farcical law. If two or more people are engaged in a joint criminal enterprise, why should they not all be tried on that basis? It's a law that has equivalents in practically every jurisdiction on the planet, and rightly so.

Actually reading and understanding an indictment isn't "quibbling."

There's no point in discussing this if you aren't interested in the facts. The alleged conspiracy here included publishing material that it was not unlawful to publish, and did not require any hacked passwords. It wasn't simply the half-hearted attempt at the hack.

The government is trying to have it both ways here and chill behavior that is not criminal without charging him for it. Anyone not blinded by "OMG Assange rapist Russian stooge" hysteria would be concerned about it.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Also remember, it's possible not to defend any of that whilst still talking about the actions of two Governments and what may come of it.

The desire people on the internet have to conflate "here's all this genuinely horrible shit you must now be defending" with "Having a serious ethical debate on charges/crimes and Governments" is peak poisoning the well.

Nothing rustles my jimmies more than the intellectual dishonesty required of someone to quote a serious post with some sort of variation of "So this means you now support rape?".

I'm not necessarily saying you're doing this The Albatross, but your opening remark leans towards that kind of logic. Which I have to say always seems to be missing if we talk about terrorist mistreatment at Guantanamo Bay or somewhere else. No one really goes "So you're pro-terrorist because you're commenting on the actions of a Government towards terrorists?".

You're definitely right, it's valid to criticize government actions if you think those are unjust while not necessarily taking on the stench of everything else associated with Assange. I don't see Ecuador's actions as unjust, or the UK's actions in following through with an extradition request for a person with a sealed indictment from the US Justice Department as unjust. And I actually have faith in the American justice department more so than, say, Ecuador's, Russia's, or any of the governments of the hostile intelligence services that Assange worked with.

I take issue with a broader defense of Assange as some sort of journalist or that Wikileaks is some sort of journalistic outlet, and my last post was a continuation of the post before that. You're seeing this defense mostly from the ... conspiratorial info-sec community, the Glenn Greenwalds and Intercept-writers of the world, but it has a lot of play in anti-establishment populist circles, both left and right too. Assange and Wikileaks are more similar to the Mossad, CIA, and FSB than they are ... the Washington Post or New York Times, that is to say, they're closer to a foreign intelligence agency than they are to a journalistic outlet, and so I think it's ridiculous to try to make them seem journalistic -- which seems to be at the heart of Assange's defense.

Make no doubt, there have been "journalists" who have made their chops by breaking into opponents computers and stealing private information, and then using that for political gain... That was one of the tactics at the Rupert Murdoch owned News of the World, which is now shuttered, but I wouldn't consider them journalists anymore than Assange. So, from my last point, I could summarize it as "not only is Assange not a journalist, but he is these other despicable things."

As for the "what may come of it" point, I don't support the death penalty, but the spectre of the death penalty (which is probably an unlikely result), for me, is not a valid argument against pursuing justice for other credible crimes. Assange dying some early misbegotten death is as likely in the United Kingdom as it is in a United States federal prison. Despite working with Russian intelligence for years, he's also quixotically an assassination target for Russian intelligence.

That Assange happens to espouse global feminist conspiracies against him, shares anti-Semitic dogwhistles that appeal to neo-nazis, smears feces on his residence, is criticized for abusing his cat, is a credibly accused rapist, worked with homophobic dictators, worked to elect a racist, unhinged president, and so on, just doesn't build a strong character defense for him. But, you're right, even the most despicable people in the world deserve valid criminal defense, which he'll get in the United States... Something he wouldn't get from any of the countries that he does espionage work for.

Dan

Oct 25, 2017

This.

I heard a brief interview with a guy called Tim Marshall, former foreign affairs editor at Sky News - who I think put it best. Assange leaked the information not in the way a proper journalist would have done, where sources were protected, innocents didnt die (which they did) and people didnt have to flee their country (which they needed to). Assange recklessly dropped this information in a way that did all that and more. The guy has blood on his hands.

To me, anyone that champions him or Wikileaks, who are happy to sweep the destruction both those entities have done under the carpet, deserve the contempt they should be treated with.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I don't necessarily disagree, but why do you think he'd be safer in an American federal prison than in a British one?

Are there charges against Assange in the United Kingdom? I know that he's been indicted in the US, which is what the basis of his extradition warrant is, and he had been charged in Sweden for rape and then jumping bail, but I wasn't sure if additional charges were bring brought against him from the UK, Australia, or other countries?