• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SparkleMotion

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I've seen a combined total of 3 positive posts in the most recent page of this thread And the damn AEW thread regarding the company. Three

Typos suck. Librarians suck. I get it. It doesn't negate the great matches that have happened at each event so far and that are advertised for this next event. At all. Wouldn't be able to tell from the discourse though! It's 99% that and it'd be less exhausting if it wasn't all about under 5% of the actual product

People love to latch onto the negative. If a wrestler makes one mistake, you'll hear about it constantly and repetitively on here.

foggy

Oct 25, 2017
I've seen a combined total of 3 positive posts in the most recent page of this thread And the damn AEW thread regarding the company. Three

Typos suck. Librarians suck. I get it. It doesn't negate the great matches that have happened at each event so far and that are advertised for this next event. At all. Wouldn't be able to tell from the discourse though! It's 99% that and it'd be less exhausting if it wasn't all about under 5% of the actual product

Your stanned promotion is going to be ok

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017

Typos suck. Librarians suck. I get it. It doesn't negate the great matches that have happened at each event so far and that are advertised for this next event. At all. Wouldn't be able to tell from the discourse though!
Look, I'm sorry, man.

Its just I lived through excruciating eras of both TNA and WWE waiting for something like AEW to come along and finally do it right. Its made me very cynical so when someone gives me hope and does something ridiculous with it, it triggers that part of me. I get annoyed, I get defensive and want to distance myself from it because I'm tired of giving promotions chances only for them to slip on a banana peel and run into mistakes they should have seen coming.

Its the last chance to see an alternative done right. If they fuck this up, its over. Its just going to be the Indies or NJPW forever as WWE continues to consume and dilute everything special about good wrestling at a rapid pace.

Maybe I'm harder on them than I should be but thats becuase I have higher expectations for them than any company since WCW. But I'm still here with them, I like what they've been doing and I've enjoyed the shows.

Porcupine

Oct 27, 2017

I don't think it's because people don't like AEW, it's more like people WANT AEW to succeed, so mistakes like the typos get more attention.

Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
Oh cool, all the good women get thrown together in a nothing tag match while Brandi gets a singles match

Very nice

I'd be cool with the tag match if there was something that advanced a larger narrative for their womens division. They bothered to highlight that both Riho and Dr. Britt Baker, DMD are both undefeated. Maybe they get taken to a time limit draw and Britt turns on Riho and blames her for not clinching the win? Setting up a singles rivalry? I don't necessarily object to tag matches and multi-woman matches in and of themselves my problem is that the singles match we've had so far was bad. (Thanks Leva.) And the singles match we'll get Saturday will likely be bad. (Thanks Brandi.) Add to that they aren't really using either BTE or Road To fill any storytelling around the tag/multi-woman matches those matches just kind of come off as "Hey internet, we heard you like them Joshi. Here's some Joshi."

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It has a very pretty hairdo.
giphy.gif

Seraphis Cain

Oct 25, 2017
AEW is the only American promotion I currently give a shit about. As others have said, it just hurts a bit to see them making mistakes that even small-time indie companies aren't making. I just want them to do well.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Oh cool, all the good women get thrown together in a nothing tag match while Brandi gets a singles match

Very nice

Shoko vs Bea would have been real interesting. Still, I don't think you should see all singles matches as being more important than all tag matches.

One match has the Stardom champ, TJPW champ, Gatoh Ace, and AEW's favourite woman. I don't think the Brandi match is higher profile than it.

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
Legions of hardcore fans who will defend anything calling any small criticism of their favorite company as "being too negative"

maybe AEW really is the new TNA

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
I don't particularly care about AEW, but it needs to succeed. Purely for what that would mean for the industry.

As in alternatives.

Not the other stuff, the other stuff will remain as fucked as it always was.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017

I'm pretty hyped for the PPV, I just haven't said anything about the graphics because I don't give a shit about misspells. I'm happy we got another women's match on the card. Hoping they figure a way to do more story for All Out.

Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix

I am incredibly excited for this show. Putting Jungle Boy and Luchasaurus in a tag match allows the pairing to be elevated above BTE goofiness. I think it will play to the strengths of both. I expect fuckery between Shawn Spears and MJF in the 3v3 match that will advance the Cody and Shawn Spears story and put MJF over even more. Should be super good. Kenny Omega and Cima should really shine and I think will convey to a potentially unfamiliar audience the appeal of Omega in a way that a brawl with Jericho or a six man tag couldn't. The women's tag match should be legit awesome. Cody and Dustin's promo on Road To left me super excited and between All In, Double or Nothing and Fyter Fest I'm now convinced that Cody is actually better than average. It'll be interesting to see the contrast of less is more and more is more in terms of in-ring styles in that match. Easily my most anticipated match of the show.

That all said.... I got concerns about the overall direction of the womens division, how their social media is being handled and when/if they are sunsetting this intolerable Librarians foolishness. On the last point I recognize they actually have to kill it on screen to do so. I wouldn't expect them to just abandon it without another word WWE style. So in theory, I have no problem with Avalon and Kiss because you can't kill The Librarians without having a match to kill them. But on the womens division and social media stuff those are bigger problems that can't be fixed by booking one blow off match. Don't mistake my concerns for a lack of enthusiasm. I am high on their product right now but that doesn't mean pretending my concerns don't exist.

Avengers23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
AEW is not legitimate until they can show that they are down with the clown, that they are a part of the Dark Carnival.
DifferentOrganicBarnswallow-size_restricted.gif

This is why the NJPW US expansion has stalled.

Tanahashi needs to work the Gathering of Juggalos.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Legions of hardcore fans who will defend anything calling any small criticism of their favorite company as "being too negative"

maybe AEW really is the new TNA

"Legions." It's one person, dude. AEW is under a microscope and has been since day one because everyone's so desperate for an American show that isn't a joke.

mattsdl

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I resisted posting my very funny Bea Priestley joke but I can't not point out that they fixed Priestley's name in the graphic but now have the pre-show thing in the background which is probably also wrong.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
DO they still only have like 5 people in the back office? Cause that seems ridiculous when you got billionaire money backing you and are on syndicated cable.

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017
Telling someone to go back to a place we all left because it was toxic because they're tired of how this threads specific brand of tiring sarcasm is not funny. It's rude, petty and at that persons expense. No one found it funny. And if they did -- they didn't make it known. It's okay to make bad jokes and admit it's bad once called out. Fun and play are welcome, but that's flirting with some bad suggestions that aren't okay to just lump onto a person because you want to make fun of them for being annoyed.

Sweeney Swift

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
#IStandWithTaylor
Dustin interview with SI https://www.si.com/wrestling/2019/07/12/aew-dustin-rhodes-fight-fallen-young-bucks-interview

Dustin said:
That match with Cody at Double or Nothing was the greatest thing I've ever done in 31 years.

The crowd started the 'Dusty' chant right at the beginning of the match, and I thought, 'Holy shit, this is fucking incredible.' From that moment on, everyone in the arena disappeared. They were there, so I could see them, but I couldn't see them. I could hear them, but I couldn't hear them. Cody and I were so focused in the moment, and it was one of those nights where the stars aligned. We told a story with two interviews before the match, and we continued that story throughout the match. We built it up to where everybody was standing on their feet, wondering what was going to happen next.

There was a point where I was bleeding very, very heavily, and I asked myself, 'Am I going to make it through this match? Or am I going to die here? Is this my last stand?' But I trained so hard for this match and I was ready for it. We took our time and made everything mean something. We didn't rush. A high-flying match can be good at times, but me, I'm old school. I like to get the people invested, tell stories with psychology. This match could not have been more perfect than it was.

To get a five-star rating from Dave Meltzer, at my age, I was very proud of it. It's one of the best storytelling matches in the past five years, and it did wonders for me at 50. I was honored to do it and honored to be in there.

There weren't 30 writers for this match, people who are just a bunch of 'yes men' scared to death of a man. There was a small group, and that's all you need to create a magical environment. That environment was such a difference from where I came from, and it was a pleasure to be around them.

And yes, he talks about The Big Dogs

Brute is my 225-pound English Mastiff.

He was on the circuit as far as dog shows, and we got him when his owner became highly allergic after she had a child. Knowing we already had a Mastiff and how we take good care of our dogs, she reached out to us. We brought him home, and we gave him a loving home.

Brute is my boy. He loves everybody, but he really loves me. He's as big as a house and he's heavy as hell. When he crawls into your lap, you know it. But Brute is just the friendliest dog.

Our other English Mastiff is Khaleesi, and we've had her since she was a puppy. She's only 170 pounds. She goes crazy when she sees deer run across the yard, and that gets Brute going. When people come to our front door, they're greeted by these two giant horses—most people take a step back. But they're such lovable dogs.

data west

Oct 25, 2017
The last aew event was worse than the last impact event so I dont know why were acting like aew is nailing it on all cylinders

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Telling someone to go back to a place we all left because it was toxic because they're tired of how this threads specific brand of tiring sarcasm is not funny. It's rude, petty and at that persons expense. No one found it funny. And if they did -- they didn't make it known. It's okay to make bad jokes and admit it's bad once called out. Fun and play are welcome, but that's flirting with some bad suggestions that aren't okay to just lump onto a person because you want to make fun of them for being annoyed.
Oh you were serious? My gif was just a playful response but okay. I didnt tell anyone to go anywhere. I wouldn't recommend the worst posters here to go back there. We all just need to take a chill pill. Everything is alright.

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017
Oh you were serious? My gif was just a playful response but okay. I didnt tell anyone to go anywhere. I wouldn't recommend the worst posters here to go back there. We all just need to take a chill pill. Everything is alright.
You implied they would be going back there. Just felt like it was a bit across the line. You can see how that would come across as toxic to someone already feeling PRETTY jaded about how folks talk about stuff here? Everything is alright. But I think some stuff requires more tact, man. Especially when a regular is feeling pushed out by negativity.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
I'm ready for a fight. Its been five minutes since I argued with someone about the Librarians.

You want to go, Spacesong? YOU WANT TO GO?

I'm not afraid to hit a cosplaying charrmander.

Status
Not open for further replies.