• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sweeney Swift

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
#IStandWithTaylor

Bless Bayley for trying though

New Japan really need to get over themselves.

Agreed completely. Had them all for an extra day but just wanted them out, had Kenny contracted during the New Beginning US shows but didn't want him around even before the visa shit went down, had them saying they wanted to keep working together and won't return calls now, and now they're wondering why their shows are flopping here. I still love their product, and the thing with Trent did suck, but they had chance after chance to keep Kenny long-term year after year and stuck with the dumb 1-year thing, and I've got less than no sympathy for them wanting a partnership where only they benefit and then being mad ROH is the best they can make work with that kind of toxic mentality

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Agreed completely. Had them all for an extra day but just wanted them out, had Kenny contracted during the New Beginning US shows but didn't want him around even before the visa shit went down, and now they're wondering why their shows are flopping here. I still love their product, and the thing with Trent did suck, but they had chance after chance to keep Kenny long-term year after year and stuck with the dumb 1-year thing, and I've got less than no sympathy for them wanting a partnership where only they benefit and then being mad ROH is the best they can make work with that kind of toxic mentality

They had Kenny under contract for two years from 2017-19

But yes I agree with all that

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
The Elite had the chance to make a real difference in the US scene and improve things, one they couldn't have done by staying with NJPW.

They did the right thing. The business needs something like AEW. Wrestlers already have more leverage and are getting paid better just from them existing.

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
I've got no sympathy for them and their US expansion as long as they keep partnering with RoH, especially after that MSG show that should've been a huge wakeup call. Partnering with AEW should have been a no brainer, best for both companies.

And maybe they should not have their contracts ending at the end of the month of their biggest PPV of the year.

He didn't tell New Japan that he was leaving for AEW or something like that. They basically found out when everyone else did.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
MypOsow.jpg

Before we get too high on Bixy.

Comparing Bobby Roode to Billy Gunn... please

Sweeney Swift

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
#IStandWithTaylor

His contract was coming up in early-Feb, they talked to him in early-January or so about it because they had plans for a push for him, and got a verbal agreement he'd stay

Later AEW approached him and Chuck saying they were doing a tag division and wanted them to be a significant part of it with a multiyear contract. They said yes and New Japan found out basically within the last two or so weeks of their deals there when we found out they were going there

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
In lolTNA news...

Dave says that the reason Sami beat Tessa at Slammiversary is that they were afraid people would "turn on Tessa" if she beat Sami in the main event. And they thought she'd get over better if she lost.

lol

Slightconfuse

Oct 25, 2017
Huh that is a bit of a bad look.

I understand the trepadation of njpw when are was just an idea. Once the gets going hopefully they start talking

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

Stall_19

Oct 27, 2017
I know the Elite had their reasons for leaving but there's no arguing that New Japan got screwed over by the whole ordeal

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
It's weird that NJPW used Jericho but is cold on Omega.

I still think money will.talk for WK but I didn't buy for that match so if it's not happening it's not happening

Deleted member 28474

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Im more excited to see how AEW works with DDT, OWE and AAA. More fresh match ups, exciting to see more talent get new exposure etc.

Oct 25, 2017
I do feel like people oversimplify the ROH relationship a bit too much with the "Just drop them and partner with AEW." stuff. NJPW and CMLL being partners and AEW and AAA being partners would make for a complicated situation, and I really doubt NJPW wants to drop their partnership with CMLL. So if they dropped their partnership with ROH, their options are basically TNA, MLW, or just don't have a US partner. I can see why they might not be jumping at the chance to drop ROH.

Slightconfuse

Oct 25, 2017
I do feel like people oversimplify the ROH relationship a bit too much with the "Just drop them and partner with AEW." stuff. NJPW and CMLL being partners and AEW and AAA being partners would make for a complicated situation, and I really doubt NJPW wants to drop their partnership with CMLL. So if they dropped their partnership with ROH, their options are basically TNA, MLW, or just don't have a US partner. I can see why they might not be jumping at the chance to drop ROH.

Plus they get access to guys like Cobb and Bandido

Lazybob

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Dave making it sound like NJPW is still ice cold on AEW
That New Years Dash Thing is interesting if only because it would have been a perfect time to say goodbye to the Elite in a way that actually ended the Bullet Club split storyline. I see too many fanboys mad at the Elite over that storyline going no where even though NJPW had plenty of time to book an ending.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
No they didnt. They gave people contracts, people fulfilled the contracts then left to do their own thing.

I agree in every regard except the Trent thing being sketchy.

Other than that, yeah, NJPW chose to feature them when they were under contract and those guys chose to do their own thing when the contracts were up. Nobody did anything sinister.

Lazybob

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
TNA also partners with AAA so the only other option is just MLW lol.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
That New Years Dash Thing is interesting if only because it would have been a perfect time to say goodbye to the Elite in a way that actually ended the Bullet Club split storyline. I see too many fanboys mad at the Elite over that storyline going no where even though NJPW had plenty of time to book an ending.

I mean it pretty much had one.

The Elite reconciled in San Fran, the Tongans told them to go to hell... then they became the only Bullet Club and the end of the story was Jay White joins as leader with Gedo and Jado

Deleted member 28474

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I agree in every regard except the Trent thing being sketchy.

Other than that, yeah, NJPW chose to feature them when they were under contract and those guys chose to do their own thing when the contracts were up. Nobody did anything sinister.

Yeah the Trent thing is kinda fucked up but thats it really.

I mean, AEW have even said NJPW can use three of their biggest stars in Omega, Jericho and Moxley. It isnt even like they are being real dicks about anything tbh.

Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
Dave gave Tessa/Callihan ****1/4

Pretty sure that's the highest rating he's given a match with a woman in TNA. Even Gail only had ***3/4 (also against Tessa http://profightdb.com/wrestler-star-ratings/gail-kim-385.html)

As much as I enjoyed the match itself it didn't really make much sense in the context of larger, long-term booking for Impact and Callihan's need to rely on brawling doesn't mesh well with Tessa's style. I would actually say that Callihan's match from Slammiversary last year was north of ****1/4 because he was working with Pentagon, another brawler, and they really did put together something special. Every time this match really got going their styles clashed and it lost gas. The 'he respects her and hands her bat' bit felt dumb because a recent Tessa respect moment was so much better (the Gail Kim match) and also the story line didn't really demand or benefit from Tessa earning Sami's respect. This was Dave's Tessa bias in full gear. The Janela-Statlander match from a few weeks ago told a much better story and was overall a better match by far.

I just don't see a way forward for Impact. Since their people can work other shows (with the exception of US/Canadian outfits that have TV) there is no measure of exclusivity to their offering. Almost everyone on that card has been in more interesting matches outside of Impact in recent memory. So they have to bank on the idea that their ongoing storytelling is worth the substantial price of their PPVs and that just ain't working.

Sounds like the future of LAX is still up in the air. I still think they'd be insane to not go to AEW.

Somebody made the point earlier today that WWE had bought themselves out of a lot of trouble/risk on the talent front recently. If WWE is assuming that they will start in September then maybe the offer was so stupid high than they believe no rational person could turn it down. Please enjoy a salary well north of the standard NXT salary to job to the Forgotten Sons on the Largo Loop for the next five years.

How are they in the wrong? Poster above makes a solid point.

Even if they decide to not work with AEW the ROH relationship is not helping their North American expansion plans. ROH has demonstrated they don't understand the current US market and the Enzo and Cazz stunt at MSG shows a lack of self awareness and disrespect for NJPW that isn't helpful for putting together co-branded shows. So I'm gonna fantasy book a NJPW-GCW partnership in my head so I can see Ishii-Lloyd and Ibushi-Deppen. If NJPW is hooked up with an indie outfit in the UK a man can dream.

Stall_19

Oct 27, 2017
No they didnt. They gave people contracts, people fulfilled the contracts then left to do their own thing.
And gave them tons of leeway. Let them do the Elite thing as part of the show, let them use Okada on All In, let's Kenny use New Japan talent for the first CEO, let them do Ladder matches, triple threat matches...etc. I'd feel disrespected if you do all that for someone and them not only leave but base the company on something New Japan let them get over, based off the success of a show they lent them talent for. Like they even stole some of Wrestle Kingdom press cycle by announcing their new company days before New Japan's biggest show of the year.

Seraphis Cain

Oct 25, 2017
Come on, Takagi. Send someone from DDT over to AEW for a while. Doesn't even have to be one of the top guys. Send Ueno or Yoshimura. Hell, send Nobu to run around and scream OI OI OI DAMNATION OI OI. Just give me some DDT talent on AEW TV.

Status
Not open for further replies.