• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 26, 2017
UK
Man, every time there's a big NJ main event match with a big, intricate finishing sequence that a bunch of people freak out over, I can always guarantee on obnoxious AJPW fans sticking their heads up in my mentions to remind people how awful the thing they're enjoying is. Bonus points if someone's had the temerity to call Ospreay wrestler of the year, then you get the Kento stans enraged as well.

I don't understand why people can't just like what they like, and leave others and their own personal tastes be.

It's a consequence of people's online identities being built around brands. Their team winning or being better is more important than just enjoying the product.

Quoting Spirit of Jazz instead of me like a coward. Heromanz is a chickenshit heel, everyone.

No, but Days of Ruin was the worst imo and probably killed the series.

All Advanced Wars games are for Nintendo kiddies who can't deal with big brained PC RTS micro.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Fire Emblem you value each comrade and fight alongside them against oppressive regimes
Advance Wars you accumulate as many men as possible and send them out until they perish from your comfy HQ in your bid for world map conquest
So basically Advance Wars is the Vince McMahon simulator, my logic is infallible.

Deleted member 290

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

R1fdEt3.gif

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Really though Dark Conflict/Days of Ruin was neat, honestly my fave of the Wars games from a gameplay standpoint.

Just to highlight the NERD factor of Asuka, the japanese version of that game initially didn't release in Japan, not until 2013 where it was an exclusive club Nintendo option for a 3DS download a whole five years after its western release, basically it's niche as heck.
Asuka must be one of the dozens of japanese players with a copy.

tenor.gif

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
Kenta vs. Evil was damn good. Loved Kenta's strikes and Evil's power and determination. G129 day 7.

This tournament is so goooood. First time I'm actually trying to keep up with it.

foggy

Oct 25, 2017
Man, every time there's a big NJ main event match with a big, intricate finishing sequence that a bunch of people freak out over, I can always guarantee on obnoxious AJPW fans sticking their heads up in my mentions to remind people how awful the thing they're enjoying is. Bonus points if someone's had the temerity to call Ospreay wrestler of the year, then you get the Kento stans enraged as well.

I don't understand why people can't just like what they like, and leave others and their own personal tastes be.

Joshi fans largely have the same reaction too. It's perplexing but fans are gonna be fans. I'll be happy for the day when people move on from using their dislike of New Japan as some measuring stick for enlightenment.

The extended counter sequences are a feast/famine thing. They either look incredible or they look labored and arbitrary. It's the one trend of this year's G1 that I'm not a fan of. Some guys just aren't fluid enough to make it work.

I am however glad they've largely moved on from their over-reliance of using opponents' finishers. That was way too prevalent last year.

DarkstarIV

Feb 21, 2018
Asuka has had a very bad 24 hours. First her car apparently broke down. Then she found out her credit card was fraudulently used, and her flight was delayed by 9 hours because Delta.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
G129 day 7

Ibushi vs. Sanada was good fun. They started off playing to the crowd and trying to one up each other with their skills and reversals, but ended up just going hard until things broke down and it became about winning. 4.25/5.

Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
modern wwe cage matches are awful

Fixed this for you. No need to thank me.

I am three days behind on G1. The mountain is growing.

Being sporadically overwhelmed with content is what made me back off New Japan last year when I dipped in. More so, when the feedback I got is that New Japan is best when the volume of material is overwhelming. I am more than three days behind right now and see no path forward unless I either just spend a day doing nothing but catching up or picking and choosing matches.

Asuka has had a very bad 24 hours. First her car apparently broke down. Then she found out her credit card was fraudulently used, and her flight was delayed by 9 hours because Delta.

IIconics defending their tag belts using 24/7 tactics.

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
Blame NJPW's label for no more "Elevated" for Will Ospreay:

L288UNH.jpg

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Blame NJPW's label for no more "Elevated" for Will Ospreay:

L288UNH.jpg

Y'know, Will's new theme has been growing on me, but...why do this at all?

Being sporadically overwhelmed with content is what made me back off New Japan last year when I dipped in. More so, when the feedback I got is that New Japan is best when the volume of material is overwhelming. I am more than three days behind right now and see no path forward unless I either just spend a day doing nothing but catching up or picking and choosing matches.

NJPW has more than enough content to overwhelm, on the low. My trick is to reduce things to only the most important shows. Cut the Road to shows, cut the B-Show PPVs. Even then, being smacked with NJC, BOSJ, G1, and pretending I care about their tag series in the Winter can still be a lot.

Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
Y'know, Will's new theme has been growing on me, but...why do this at all?

NJPW has more than enough content to overwhelm, on the low. My trick is to reduce things to only the most important shows. Cut the Road to shows, cut the B-Show PPVs. Even then, being smacked with NJC, BOSJ, G1, and pretending I care about their tag series in the Winter can still be a lot.

Yeah, I cancelled last time because of a sense of being overwhelmed. There is no telling when a tag match is going to be a nothing tag match or have storytelling associated with it. Heck, story even unfolds in post show media scrums. If you don't watch absolutely everything you get lost. When I watched Wrestle Kingdom this year I enjoyed most of the matches and was able to follow some of the major stories but there was stuff where the emotional quality of it fell flat for me because I hadn't seen enough. I got back in after Mania weekend because of the MSG show where all the New Japan stuff was great and ROH did ROH things. And three months later I've already drowned in content at least twice. I managed with BOSJ but it took work and I ended up not watching other wrestling I wanted to see to accommodate it and here I am, a month a change later, drowning in G1. New Japan is great but it is so fucking much.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Me being the filthy casual of wrasslin' that I am, has only just watched my first match of this G1

But I'm very happy with my pick, it was always gonna be Ishii to kick things off for me so i figured him vs Mox might be my jam, it was very much my jam.
Dem dueling chairs, those table teases paid off in the best way, the Stocky Stronghold™ is a treasure.

Status
Not open for further replies.