• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Troast

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
The gameplay is solid. I played the beta enough to know I enjoy that part a lot. I don't play fighting games for story mode.

I bet a lot more people will enjoy this game once it gets a chance, its not that bad.

Byakura

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
no surprises here but still disappointed. I was so hyped for this game when it was first announced man.....

Skeleton

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The old as hell DS version is still the greatest. Such a shame. I was so hyped for this, but they butchered it in every single way.

Booki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
Put Jotaro Kujo in a good game, ya jerks.

jotarokujo-jailcell.gif

Flevance

Oct 28, 2017
That's not surprising, didn't even bothered myself to try the beta when they gave me a code for it

TheAvatar

Nov 4, 2017
Honestly GameSpot and ign giving it those higher scores is kinda mind blowing, I really want to sit those reviewers down and ask them what they were possibly playing

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah those scores are about what I expected. Honestly maybe even a little higher than I expected based on the clips coming out the past few days.

Sebalt

Oct 28, 2017
The gameplay is solid. I played the beta enough to know I enjoy that part a lot. I don't play fighting games for story mode.

I bet a lot more people will enjoy this game once it gets a chance, its not that bad.

Yeah the gameplay is fun enough but the game still has some big flaws. As a Jump fan, I give it a 7 at best because I' m a fanboy but I'm really not surprised with the worst scores, still not finished the Story but It's awful.

Hope the next patchs will really fix those horrible loadings.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Man I hate storymode in fighting game where you play as custom created character. It's such a cheap way to circumvent having different story when you play as different character.

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
"Every dollar spent on licensing is a dollar not spent on quality".

There are exceptions to this rule, but it's mostly true.

random88

Oct 25, 2017
Not US
I don't think we are on Metacritic yet, but I gave it a 6.

https://www.emuglx.org/nextgen-igre/jump-force-2019/

It's a missed opportunity. I thought that the artstyle isn't so bad and that the battles look spectacular, but the gameplay mechanics are too simplistic (even compared to similar games in it's genre) and the loading times are absolutely killing it. I spent more time looking at the loading screens than fighting. It takes ages to get to the fight, which makes the story a chore to play through.

Honestly, if you're making an anime game, just give it to ASW, they'll know what to do with it.

Last edited:

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
I've always wondered why they don't do a Smash type game for those cross franchise projects, Bamco have more experience than anyone else outside Nintendo in making Smash games right now, put some of that into your own platform fighter instead of repeating this arena fighter garbage for the Xth time!

kingdoug87

Jan 8, 2018
I hoped it was going to be good. I had this as a counter pick on one of my fantasy drafts so deep down knew.... I knew.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
62 on MC is too high for this crap.
Nah, the gameplay is still solid which matters the most at the end of the day for a fighting game. It should definitely be docked for the seemmiingly piss poor story mode, but it's silly to berate a fighting game for the story mode alone.

Honestly GameSpot and ign giving it those higher scores is kinda mind blowing, I really want to sit those reviewers down and ask them what they were possibly playing
Did you play the beta? Not hard to see what they played if you did. The story mode and lack of content are poor, the gameplay isn't.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Not surprised at all with the bad reviews, I've never heard good impressions about this and you could see from the very first footages that it wasn't going to be a good game.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
Not at all surprised with the reception, especially with the clips I've been seeing the past two days. This game should be such an obvious hit for anime/manga fans, but the execution seems to be severely lacking.

Datrael

Oct 25, 2017
It looks like a fun fanservice game to me, in any case. I really enjoyed xenoverse 2, I guess I'll really enjoy this one too, despite its flaws.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
No one is going to talk about Deku being racist and immediately assuming Piccolo is evil because he's green in this?

Like dude you hang out with a dude that has bird face.

8t8gyp78ndg21.jpg

1etiif2aqdg21.jpg

Last edited:

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I've always wondered why they don't do a Smash type game for those cross franchise projects, Bamco have more experience than anyone else outside Nintendo in making Smash games right now, put some of that into your own platform fighter instead of repeating this arena fighter garbage for the Xth time!
That's basically what Smash Ultimate Stars was - which was the take on this series before the current iteration.

lyte edge

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The gameplay is basically Xenoverse but somehow even more dumbed down than that

The game play is like One Piece: Burning Blood. It's a little different than Xenoverse but certainly there are some similarities. It's fun enough to play and the game looks and animates just fine in-game- it's the story cut scenes that are cringe here.

Anyway, even though I like the game enough, I wouldn't recommend buying it right now solely because it looks like it's going to be a complete flop and the price should drop quickly enough.

lyte edge

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

They tried. It didn't go so well.

Jan 2, 2018
Pasadena
I am posting my review today but I feel it's a lot better than these scores indicate. The actual fighting is really good. We're also to the point where reviews before launch are meaningless because so much gets patched.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
tenor.gif

The idea is promising, but this game need either:

1. More time in the oven
2. A bigger budget
3. A better studio making it.

Probably all 3 to be honest.

This game had, what, 4 years in the oven? Same studio that made J-Stars, and they were obviously going to make a game for Jump's 50th (since J-Stars was for its 45th), so presumably this should've been at least somewhat in the works since then.

So time shouldn't have been an issue. The issue is more that Bamco is cheap as fuck and Spike is just not that great of a developer (which Bamco keeps going back to most likely because, again, they're cheap as fuck).

That said:

I am posting my review today but I feel it's a lot better than these scores indicate. The actual fighting is really good. We're also to the point where reviews before launch are meaningless because so much gets patched.

Translated from Japanese patch notes. If the changes are good enough it potentially addresses the straight-up jank outside of gameplay. Of course there's still the problem of having a day-1 patch not ready for your early-release "Ultimate Edition".

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2018
Pasadena
No one is going to talk about Deku being racist and immediately assuming Piccolo is evil because he's green in this?

Like dude you hang out with a dude that has bird face.

8t8gyp78ndg21.jpg

1etiif2aqdg21.jpg

Piccolo was a villain and is an alien. That doesn't make Deku racist; Piccolo isn't even human. These images were made as satire/a joke. The whole thing is ridiculous.

CrocodileGrin

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Man, that opening paragraph in The Sixith Axis review:
Bandai Namco obviously believes otherwise, though, because they've stripped all of that Japanese artistic style away from Jump Force to create a messy, dull game best described as "The Michael Bay Transformers of anime games"
From everything I've seen, that sounds about right.

Oct 27, 2017
CC2 shoulda have done this game instead of this studio.

Why not put pour all the effort into a game like this that has so much iconic manga characters? Like way to squander the potential.
Why does Bandai namco do this? They realize quality matters, look at fighterz or the storm games.

Another way of looking at it is how activision had the Spider-Man IP for so long and only treated it as cheap cash in and than Sony and insomniac gets their hands on it and it becomes a mega hit because they put time and effort in.
Cause weebos will buy it regardless.

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I was expecting this to get 4-5 all over, actually surprised.
The 30 minutes I had with the beta was enough to put me off this game. Everything about it felt bad.