• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It doesn't seem good but fuck it, still buying it. The beta was enjoyable and it seems like a fun thing to play with my friends for a bit on our game nights.

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, totally expected crappy scores. Well at least it looks like it's going to end up higher than the shitty J-Stars.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
giphy.gif

Shonen Jump deserves better than this. I wanted this to be good, but the writing was on the wall

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Yikes. I didn't actually expect it to be as bad as it (visually) looks. I guess in this case you can judge a book by its cover. :D

Last edited:

sandboxgod

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
These scores suck. I was actually looking forward to this early on after the E3 vid. But gradually started losing interest.

I would be down
  1. If it had an 'anime' looking shader or looked toon style like DQX1 at least
  2. Ragequit punishments which is a feature every anime fighter seems to strangely lack so far (budget?)
  3. 60fps
I am still interested in buying on a deep sale for 50% or much more off Digital

i-hate-u

Oct 25, 2017
Who actually approved this art style? I literally called this game off after the first 30 seconds of the debut trailer.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
Oh god, I'm watching the giantbomb quicklook and... Dai is in this?
Holy shit, I totally missed that announcement. Fly / Dai no Daiboken was my favorite cartoon as a kid. Has he ever been in one of the past Jump games?
Still not gonna buy this any time soon but this is making it so much harder.

Revven

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not surprised with the cutscene direction and production, Spike has not had any good story modes since 2009 (Dragon Ball Raging Blast) and even then that game mostly consisted of characters standing still and talking. Much like Dragon Ball Z Tenkaichi 2 (though, the latter, is more forgivable due to just how huge that game's story is and it being a PS2 game).

Most people would say Tenkaichi 2 is the last actual, great story mode Spike has made for an anime game. That's almost 15 years ago. You've got to assume due to the merger and the amount of time that has passed much of the staff that worked on those older games have left. Whatever "talent" that was there is probably gone (I assume, again, it'd be cool to know for sure by looking at the credits of the various games they've made). But overall Spike Chunsoft has not put out a must have game in over 10 years so these scores are unsurprising as well as the quality of Jump Force.

Maybe one day we will get something like this made by Arc. Maybe. If FighterZ is given a break lol.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not surprised with the cutscene direction and production, Spike has not had any good story modes since 2009 (Dragon Ball Raging Blast) and even then that game mostly consisted of characters standing still and talking. Much like Dragon Ball Z Tenkaichi 2 (though, the latter, is more forgivable due to just how huge that game's story is and it being a PS2 game).

Most people would say Tenkaichi 2 is the last actual, great story mode Spike has made for an anime game. That's almost 15 years ago. You've got to assume due to the merger and the amount of time that has passed much of the staff that worked on those older games have left. Whatever "talent" that was there is probably gone (I assume, again, it'd be cool to know for sure by looking at the credits of the various games they've made). But overall Spike Chunsoft has not put out a must have game in over 10 years so these scores are unsurprising as well as the quality of Jump Force.

Maybe one day we will get something like this made by Arc. Maybe. If FighterZ is given a break lol.
Must have fighter* (and I'd argue ever, since I really disliked Tenkaichi). Their visuals novels and Shiren games remain top tier.

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018
sad to see that the only game having characters from my favorite anime in it (hunter x hunter) is getting reviews like this

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Crazy to think that the Jump IPs and nostalgia probably bumped all of these scores up too. Can't imagine how trashy it really is without that paint job.

Deleted member 11421

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
At least make Frieza look like he's flying, his feet don't even move, his tail doesn't even react, and he looks like he's still on solid ground
This is not how Frieza flies.
With no animation budget he does.

He actually does animate as one would expect in other scenes (arms crossed, tail and body animated, actual expressions, etc.). The game has several hours of cutscenes and the vast majority aren't meme-worthy, they're just dull. The Poochie one is funny but it's an exception rather than the rule.

Overall it appears like it was literally unfinished, hell I don't believe they optimized much because the load times are (currently) ridiculous and it crashes occasionally, but the biggest technical/presentation issues are being addressed via patch as soon as possible.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
At least we could a very fun Giant Bomb QL from it.

Also, good for that Black Glover dude he's not the only one that constantly screams now.

Wreck We Em

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Watching gameplay of this game, I'm not sure what everyone was so excited for

It looked terribad from the start, especially with those animations....yuck

Deleted member 11421

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's no way this is real, right?

He poses in other scenes when he floats, it's probably a bug and shows just how rushed the game is, and that's why the upcoming patch notes mention story scene improvements.

The Sanji dash didn't look as bad as that twitter video when I reached it, but I don't know what platform they captured it on.

EmptyWarren

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
What is really odd is that if you were just glancing at the game, given quality shown, you'd never guess that all of the properties on display collectively have sold literally billions of dollars worth of merchandise.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
This looks like one of those "rent for a weekend" type games that we had when we were kids lol. Like this is one of those games you picked up at Blockbuster on a Friday night while also ordering a Pizza Hut pizza type of games.

Etain

Oct 25, 2017
More good reviews than I seriously expected. Well, it'll probably a fun stupid thing to mess with for free or crazy cheap.

Onyar

Nov 1, 2017
I had the oportunity to try the game at a videogame show and it was mediocre for me, so no surprise.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
They should've never gone 3D with this franchise. Jump Ultimate Stars is still the best celebration of shonen jump's catalogue, and that was DS...

Deacon

Oct 25, 2017
I've enjoyed the fighting but outside of that everything is just awful. Trunks' model in particular sticks out to me for some weird reason. It was so jarring to see. It's like he's stuck shrugging his shoulders while squashing his head down.

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
2 hours of this shit garbage was enough. Putrid graphics, boring fighting and unskipabble tedious "cinemas". Even at 60fps without the nauseating motion blur.