• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
Xo7yO1J.jpg

GameSpot - 7/10
Jump Force is a worthy celebration of the legacy of Shonen Jump manga, but it honors its source material a little too well with how filler-heavy the middle of its story arc is. However, even if the game rarely provides a clear motivation for stopping evil other than good must always oppose it, the act of stomping out villains in Jump Force's frantic bouts of tag-team arena combat is an enjoyable test of strategy. And with over 40 characters to master, there's ample opportunity to develop new strategies and reach greater feats of combat prowess in online multiplayer.
Shack News - 7/10
What this game is really about is fan service and I must admit that it succeeds in offering folks up a hefty chunk in that department. Jump Force knows that it's really for the Shonen Jump fans and if you are a fan there's plenty to like here. One would probably be better off focusing on the core fighting game aspects though.
IGN - 6.3/10
If you've got like-minded anime fans who are down to smash some buttons and watch the sparks fly, Jump Force's fighting system allows for at least a few hours of shallow fun before it gets stale and repetitive. The bland story feels half-baked and never does anything interesting with its impressive roster of beloved characters who've rarely or never had the chance to meet before, making this celebration of 50 years of Weekly Shonen Jump a disappointment overall.
Destructoid - 6/10
Like the Dissidia series, Jump Force is something I'm going to be coming back to for random bits of fun throughout the years. The core is good, it's just let down by some odd design choices and an average campaign. This is an older brawler in an HD skin: if you want something more than that, look elsewhere.
Wccftech - 6/10
Jump Force has major problems, but it can actually be really fun. It feels tedious when playing missions, and repetitive at times in combat. But using your favourite characters' abilities in battle remains fun throughout. It's going to be an acquired taste, but anime fans will actually find a lot to enjoy here. Just stick to the online play, where you can remain blissfully ignorant of the awful cutscenes and animation.
Screen Rant - 6/10
Because that's what Jump Force is all about. It's the Smash Bros. of manga, a collection of favorites and newcomers alike that finally get to face one another in battle. So even with the concessional misstep or missed opportunity, enjoyment is guaranteed.
CGMagazine - 5.5/10
I didn't expect much from Jump Force and yet, I still can't help but feel disappointed. Its core gameplay makes for an enjoyable time, something I haven't been able to say for an anime arena fighter in a long time. Failing in nearly every other aspect though, I find it extremely to wade through Jump Force's aggressive shortcomings, so much so that I almost wish the fighting mechanics were bad so I could ignore this title completely. In a world where titles like Dragon Ball FighterZ exist, its hard to swallow the pill that is Jump Force.
The Sixth Axis - 3/10
Crossover games are nothing new to Bandai Namco or Shonen Jump, so it surprises and disappoints me to see that none of the good aspects or successful mechanics of these previous games made their way into Jump Force at all. Jump Force is a visual mess, It lacks the fun and charm that a wild crossover like this should embrace, and It's just a technical mess from top to bottom. Jump Force is a huge celebration of some of the most iconic manga in history, but it fails to do any of them justice.
Windows Central - 2.5/5
None of these issues are enough to bring a fighting game down on their own, but together they make for an excruciating exercise in patience, and I might have been able to find that patience if the game at large had more to offer. Its hyper-focus on gameplay does it no favors in that regard. Wait for a sharp discount if you must have it.
ComicBook.com - 2/5
No matter which way you slice it, Jump Force isn't the game fans dreamed it would be upon its announcement, but it will excite anime fans who've got a thing for 3D fighters. If you can see past its abysmal story mode and questionable animation, Jump Force clearly put its focus on fighting. The battles can be crisp, dynamic, and challenging enough to keep those invested coming back. However, as soon as a victor is crowned, Jump Force goes back to being a shonen spectacle with a shocking lack of substance.
Gameblog - 5/10
Gamekult - 4/10

Last edited:

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
tenor.gif

The idea is promising, but this game need either:

1. More time in the oven
2. A bigger budget
3. A better studio making it.

Probably all 3 to be honest.

Mercenary09

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A few days ago I thought this game would be good at least. Somewhere in the 70 range. After I started seeing footage from the single player I knew this would be a disaster. Such a shame.

Wise

Oct 27, 2017
DigitalCentralMedia - 19%

For a game with such potential Jump Force is a colossal blunder and a rushed mess. The visuals and art style is atrocious, the gameplay lacks any kind of depth, and the animations are horrific. Overall Jump Force is a huge disappointment.

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
CC2 shoulda have done this game instead of this studio.

Why not put pour all the effort into a game like this that has so much iconic manga characters? Like way to squander the potential.

Spikematic

Oct 28, 2017
What a waste of a great concept. I'd probably have avoided it even if the reviews were better, simply because of how revolting the art style is to me.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Man. They squandered a great opportunity with this one. What the hell happened?

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Why does Bandai namco do this? They realize quality matters, look at fighterz or the storm games.

Another way of looking at it is how activision had the Spider-Man IP for so long and only treated it as cheap cash in and than Sony and insomniac gets their hands on it and it becomes a mega hit because they put time and effort in.

jrDev

Banned
Mar 2, 2018
Hmm, no wonder NB aren't asking Switch owners to beg, the game looks like it sucks (it looked terrible in trailers)...think we are also maybe hitting Saturation point for DB games; Fighterz and Xenoverse still being updated and now this and the new action RPG. It's a lot!

PhantomKnight

Oct 25, 2017
When I played the beta I expected the game to be around a 7, but after seeing everything outside of combat I knew it will lower than that. I am really glad I didn't pre-order this, since I was really hyped for the game, might still get later (if Tsuna is DLC) at a lower price.

OP
OP
ElBoxy

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
Man. They squandered a great opportunity with this one. What the hell happened?
So far there's only 2 Japanese studios that can make great anime games: CC2 and Arc System Works, and they're busy. And even if they're not busy others want them to make a JoJo game, Sailor Moon game, One Piece game, Naruto game, etc. Idk if there's really not enough talent to go around to make these games or if Bamco is putting these out cheaply to try and fill the void of anime games.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
So far there's only 2 Japanese studios that can make great anime games: CC2 and Arc System Works, and they're busy. And even if they're not busy others want them to make a JoJo game, Sailor Moon game, One Piece game, Naruto game, etc. Idk if there's really not enough talent to go around to make these games or if Bamco is putting these out cheaply to try and fill the void of anime games.
You might as well include Dimps if you're going to include CC2.

OP
OP
ElBoxy

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
It's all yours. I don't think anyone here cares enough since this forum is "the only place on the internet that is hating on the game".
I'm not skilled enough to do that type of OT. I'm just surprised. Even Battleborn on the old site got an OT and that got almost as much hate as this.

Deleted member 11421

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's all yours. I don't think anyone here cares enough since this forum is "the only place on the internet that is hating on the game".

Most of those reviews still suggest there is an audience for it and the gameplay isn't that bad.

Also: https://twitter.com/VEpicAGE/status/1095928157650116608

Upcoming Jump Force patch notes:
- Added free avatar suit
- Improvement of story cutscene production
- Improved load time reduction (currently PS4 only), will improve over time
- Battle adjustment, activation timing of high speed counter
- Cutscene skip option
- Lobby improvement

So they clearly rushed the game and that's likely why those select scenes that became memes look so off. I'm like 80% through the story and the majority aren't as bad as what went viral. That Sanji scene synched up better for me too; he didn't move that abruptly and actually had a running animation lol

I expected a 60-70 game after hating J-Stars but mildly enjoying both Xenoverses, and those didn't exactly light up the scoreboards either.

Ada

Nov 28, 2017
After the wreck that was Jstars this outcome was expected. Game looked terrible from day one.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
No surprise there.
I might still pick it up down the line if it ends up on sale for super cheap on PSN or something . I could see myself having fun with it. But not right now and not at full price.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At least it's spawning good memes. The art style was always off but to see that the full game actually has such animations and general polish... yikes.