• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
from experience, does anyone have some historical duration data between console update reveals and release?
iphones don't count.
Revisions that decrease the price of the console have a shorter time between announcement and release.

The PS4 Slim was announced 1 week before release. The PS4 Pro, which was announced at the same time, released 3 months after.

Sterok

Oct 25, 2017
[NSW] 340K
[PS4] 225K
[XB1] 135K

Mario Maker 2 1.7 times up from MM Wii U.

With the vouchers and digital increasing in general, Nintendo lacking digital data is going to get frustrating real fast.

slavesnyder

Oct 26, 2017
SlaveSnyder Media Corp.
[NSW] 340K
[PS4] 225K
[XB1] 135K

Mario Maker 2 1.7 times up from MM Wii U.

With the vouchers and digital increasing in general, Nintendo lacking digital data is going to get frustrating real fast.
there are only two solutions for this dilemma.
either stubborn nintendo gives in to the npd's constant hitting-on or we can finally end net neutrality, so that bandwidth becomes a resource like any other and isn't wasted on common people downloading junk for their banal time-killing occupations like gaming.

Limabean01

Oct 29, 2017
WA, australia
[NSW] 329k
[PS4] 207k
[XB1] 102k

Soo... did something happen last thread after I stopped following lol

Why is everyone saying it's going to be even more of a ghost town than it already was :/

Myriotes

Jan 30, 2018
Germany
Soo... did something happen last thread after I stopped following lol

Why is everyone saying it's going to be even more of a ghost town than it already was :/

I think there is no particular reason for that sentiment (no further insider exodus), the two last months were just really low. Maybe it will get better now after the 'first halfyear lull' and E3. I think this thread is already more active (pre-deadline) than the last two months.

Limabean01

Oct 29, 2017
WA, australia
I think there is no particular reason for that sentiment (no further insider exodus), the two last months were just really low. Maybe it will get better now after the 'first halfyear lull' and E3. I think this thread is already more active (pre-deadline) than the last two months.
Yeah, that's what I thought (hoped?) was the case. We still have enough people around for some interesting discussions! Many of the notable regulars still seem to be posting at least.

m051293

Oct 29, 2017
Recap
September is almost always an improvement in weekly average. Not much else besides that if there isn't much going on, the increase might be small, but don't be surprised by massive improvements either.

The biggest September ever recorded during the 7th gen was the Wii with 687K back in 2008. Second biggest? Xbox 360 with 528K back in 2007.

The biggest September ever recorded during the 8th gen was the PS4 with 538,000 in 2014. Second biggest? PS4 again with 354K back in 2015.

Does a revision launch count? Sights would have been set for a close to record performance (this gen) with how strong the software momentum would be in September, launch of the Lite model could push it over the edge.

IronTed

One Winged Slayer
Jun 6, 2019
Funny that the Switch is the first of the 3 to actually hit $199 MSRP in some form. Too bad we won't get splits though.

Limabean01

Oct 29, 2017
WA, australia
Switch might be kinda down in July-August following this announcement.. not too much though considering the revision targets an audience that isn't quite the same as that of the existing sku

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
Does a revision launch count? Sights would have been set for a close to record performance (this gen) with how strong the software momentum would be in September, launch of the Lite model could push it over the edge.
Oh that revision will do something.

It actually kind of depends if Switch sales start to drop faster than expected between now and launch. If they do, Switch Lite can open to fantastic numbers and September sees a massive boost.

If Switch appears to hold between now and launch, it's possible Switch Lite launches lower than some would anticipate, but then it heavily makes up for it in the holidays. This would result in a lower than expected September, but better November and December sales.

Right now, my gut feeling is mixed. If people also treat the Switch Lite as a $100 price cut, then September could just well break the PS4 record. If there is some hesitation on it being handheld only, then overall sales could just miss it. It being late September also limits what it can sell in September. October will see a massive increase thanks to this.

Exciting times right now, and there is still a Pro version to be announced. If that launches in September, then yeah, Switch most likely breaks 500K going on 600K.

slavesnyder

Oct 26, 2017
SlaveSnyder Media Corp.
Switch might be kinda down in July-August following this announcement.. not too much though considering the revision targets an audience that isn't quite the same as that of the existing sku
this sounds weird. as there was only one switch before, everyone who wanted to play nintendo games was the target. there was no alternative. now, this audience can be segmented into into those who want to have all the gimmicks and those who don't care too much. there's choice now.
of course, the group of potential buyers base is enlarged additionally by poor people, kids and curly-haired skater-dudes.

Ryng™

Nov 2, 2017
Italy
[NSW] 351K
[PS4] 257K
[XB1] 154K

Switch July 2018 was very strong, should be down YOY and flat in August. September/October will be up a lot

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
this sounds weird. as there was only one switch before, everyone who wanted to play nintendo games was the target. there was no alternative. now, this audience can be segmented into into those who want to have all the gimmicks and those who don't care too much. there's choice now.
of course, the group of potential buyers base is enlarged additionally by poor people, kids and curly-haired skater-dudes.
Don't forget astronauts.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Lot of untapped audience here (that could be adressed with the Lite)

That represents 20M players in the Americas alone.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
July for Switch will be interesting.

Last year the most notable event was Amazon Prime Day, along with a heightened baseline thanks to Fortnite.

This year, July has the announcement of a model that will be $100 cheaper in September. This will go against Mario Maker 2 pushing consoles along with Fire Emblem. Prime Day is going to be interesting as Amazon could go all in on deals for the current Switch to move inventory ahead of the Lite.

August is going to be dead all around I think. Madden launches in the July period, so PS4/XB1 have literally nothing in August, and if a Switch Pro gets announced for this year, I think that'll happen in August. If not, sales will slow anyway for Switch in the lead up to the Lite where August also has nothing.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
July for Switch will be interesting.

Last year the most notable event was Amazon Prime Day, along with a heightened baseline thanks to Fortnite.

This year, July has the announcement of a model that will be $100 cheaper in September. This will go against Mario Maker 2 pushing consoles along with Fire Emblem. Prime Day is going to be interesting as Amazon could go all in on deals for the current Switch to move inventory ahead of the Lite.

August is going to be dead all around I think. Madden launches in the July period, so PS4/XB1 have literally nothing in August, and if a Switch Pro gets announced for this year, I think that'll happen in August. If not, sales will slow anyway for Switch in the lead up to the Lite where August also has nothing.

Doug Bowser has confirmed no additional Switch models this year beyond the Lite. Switch Pro is 2020 at the earliest.

Edit - actually, I think he just said there's nothing more to announce currently, so who knows

Last edited:

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Doug Bowser has confirmed no additional Switch models this year beyond the Lite. Switch Pro is 2020 at the earliest.

Edit - actually, I think he just said there's nothing more to announce currently, so who knows

They can't really say anything else at this point. They'll be denying it right up until the announcement or really risk destroying HW sales.

Oldhand

Oct 28, 2017
First timer... no science behind these estimates whatsoever...

[NSW] 250K
[PS4] 160K
[XB1] 120K

IronTed

One Winged Slayer
Jun 6, 2019
bowser's insider story

Please never stop being you.

They can't really say anything else at this point. They'll be denying it right up until the announcement or really risk destroying HW sales.

Yeah, the idea that when asked about another Switch revision they'd say "Oh yeah we have another premium model that we're going to launch soon" is laughable.

Hoping (but not expecting) that we get splits for the Switch/Lite. Maybe the first month we get lucky and Nintendo will release PR.

OP
OP

donny2112

Oct 27, 2017
Rumor from another thread is that Nintendo is doing a normal lifecycle change to the regular Switch to update the board and some internal components. Possibly to remove the known vulnerability in the current setup and maybe will fix the Joycon connection issue. This may or may not be the rumored "upgrade" to the Switch. Definitely not a Switch Pro, though.

Deader2818

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Won't it seem odd that NPD will track switch lite as a console when its actually a handheld since it has no actual way to connect to the tv?

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Rumor from another thread is that Nintendo is doing a normal lifecycle change to the regular Switch to update the board and some internal components. Possibly to remove the known vulnerability in the current setup and maybe will fix the Joycon connection issue. This may or may not be the rumored "upgrade" to the Switch. Definitely not a Switch Pro, though.

There is no vulnerability in the Switch since July 2018.