• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
I applaud GF and Masuda for the decision. Would you rather pay $60 for another full version with some extra content or $30 for just the extra content? Plus over 200 new and previous Pokemon?

The only gripe is iirc having to rebuy the DLC if you want it for both versions. That needs changing.

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Is every complaint now harrasment? His twitter, from his name to his posts, seem to be defined by his work. It's a place to interact with the fans and promote the games.

Maybe don't use it during holidays when you want a break?

I don't access my work e-mail on sundays and then complain about work-related messages.

I get where he's coming from, would never directly bother devs on twitter myself and wish him a happy birthday.

But it seems like a pointless discussion for us to have.

That guy telling Capcom's Yoshinori Ono that he's lazy and making Ono apologize for being lazy? That's going too far, that's harrassment.

Asking a Pokemon Producer in a twitter that is nothing but food and Pokemon to talk about Pokemon being sold as DLC? Eh.

Because it then fuels shit like this:

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Is every complaint now harrasment? His twitter, from his name to his posts, seem to be defined by his work. It's a place to interact with the fans and promote the games.

I don't access my work e-mail on sundays and then complain about work-related messages.

I get where he's coming from, would never directly bother devs on twitter myself and wish him a happy birthday.

That guy telling Capcom's Yoshinori Ono that he's lazy and making Ono apologize for being lazy? That's going too far, that's harrassment.

Asking a Pokemon Producer in a twitter that is nothing but food and Pokemon to talk about Pokemon being sold as DLC? Eh.

The original tweet had nothing to do with Sword/Shield and was just about his birthday. There's no reason to bring the cut Pokemon stuff into every single thing. And the person just responded with "I'll do it later" rather than realizing that it maybe wasn't appropriate.

Oct 25, 2017
Because it then fuels shit like this:

Now this is fucking stupid. This is definitely going too far as well. Though it's so over the top that I'd even suspect it's parody.

But still, Twitter is clearly a work tool for him. Maybe consider logging off on his sunday holiday birthday. People won't stop messaging "official Pokemon accounts" just because it's a holiday. He could thank the happy birthday wishes tomorrow.

Japanese devs work enough as it is, he should avoid bringing work home when not necessary.

IzzyRX

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
He should take a break from social media, at least for now.
Honesly, it's gone too far already, this is not ok.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I applaud GF and Masuda for the decision. Would you rather pay $60 for another full version with some extra content or $30 for just the extra content? Plus over 200 new and previous Pokemon?

The only gripe is iirc having to rebuy the DLC if you want it for both versions. That needs changing.
The DLC differs somewhat for each version too though.

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Now this is fucking stupid. This is definitely going too far as well. Though it's so over the top that I'd even suspect it's parody.

But still, Twitter is clearly a work tool for him. Maybe consider logging off on his sunday holiday birthday. People won't stop messaging "official Pokemon accounts" just because it's a holiday. He could thank the happy birthday wishes tomorrow.

Japanese devs work enough as it is, he should avoid bringing work home when not necessary.

He was just answering back a happy birthday message, nothing work related. Something we all do when we want to be polite to others who have wished us a happy birthday.

Edit: I should add that there are many people who were positive to Masuda, just to balance this out a little.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
User Warned: Lazy Dev Rhetoric
Disgusting.... so toxic...

... even his Twitter account sounds lazy
/s because apparently it wasn't clear enough

Last edited:

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK

I don't get why telling the dev to stay away from the internet is better than telling entitled fans to not bother people about their work

What did this guy expect Masuda to say?

1) Yeah, it's great, we're ripping fans off for all that money!
2) I'm sorry it's not in my hands, but yeah it sucks
3) The company line
4) Wow, that's a unique perspective, I'd not considered that before
5) Yeah ok, I'll put the cut Pokémon back in the game first thing Monday

There is literally nothing he could say that would appease him, because he's an entitled and probably deluded fan, and it's better for everyone if we don't encourage them

RedOnePunch

Oct 26, 2017
They should just turn off notifications and not check Twitter. I'd hate to have to deal with people on social media. I don't envy anyone who has to.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017

Nah, man, fuck feeling entitled enough to reply to someone's birthday tweet spewing falsehoods. It's not even legit criticism.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
How very immature of shoving your complaints (which is dumb in this case also) to what is simply a response to a birthday message. That is harassment, no buts or ifs.

JayCB64

Oct 25, 2017
Wales
9o1Y2F2.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get why telling the dev to stay away from the internet is better than telling entitled fans to not bother people about their work

What did this guy expect Masuda to say?

1) Yeah, it's great, we're ripping fans off for all that money!
2) I'm sorry it's not in my hands, but yeah it sucks
3) The company line
4) Wow, that's a unique perspective, I'd not considered that before
5) Yeah ok, I'll put the cut Pokémon back in the game first thing Monday

There is literally nothing he could say that would appease him, because he's an entitled and probably deluded fan, and it's better for everyone if we don't encourage them
No one is telling him to stay away from the internet, just from the twitter account clearly used to promote his work.

Completely agree when it comes to "what the hell did you expect them to say?", people are just really dumb when it comes to that, unfortunately.

It's not that telling devs to not use their work-related twitter is better, but it's one thing they can control. People will always bother them about their work regardless of how much we say it's stupid. If it's not a work day, don't go to your work places. Physical or digital.

Nugnip

Oct 25, 2017
Does that tweet constitute harassment? Unless you're referring to the community as a whole, to which I'd agree.
Harassment is the accumulation of "small" comments like this one. Itself in a vacuum, it's no big deal, but when it piles up with hundreds of similar messages even from different people, on every platform, all day long, for months, yeah, it's harassment, absolutely.

EloquentM

Oct 25, 2017

Lol

Deleted member 2426

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That subset of the Pokémon fan base REALLY need to move on. It's not that serious it will never be that serious.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
I'm starting to realize re:things like twitter that there really is very little to gain from fans having direct contact with creators.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
There's a lot of misinformation being spread about that the returning old Pokémon are paywalled
Interesting. I never had the impression old Pokemon are paywalled from the Direct announcements, but I can see where they are coming from.

They (players) wanted to be able to capture the old Pokemon by themselves, rather than having someone else trade their old Pokemon over to them. Even if the trading aspect allows everyone to trade old Pokemon for free, they feel the "capturing" game is "paywalled".

Rockets

Sep 12, 2018
Always felt like Game Freak and the Pokemon Company never get the credit they deserve. Yes, the games have issues and are never technical showpieces, but keeping an IP relevant for over 20 years, while competition keeps burning out, takes some skill.
Agreed. Hell for an indie studio SWSH are really well made all things considered especially since it's their first 3D console game and it only took them 2 years to make

brinstar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Interesting. I never had the impression old Pokemon are paywalled from the Direct announcements, but I can see where they are coming from.

They (players) wanted to be able to capture the old Pokemon by themselves, rather than having someone else trade their old Pokemon over to them. Even if the trading aspect allows everyone to trade old Pokemon for free, they feel the "capturing" game is "paywalled".
The discourse has warped so much since it's initial start lol. Originally the anger was coming from not being able to transfer every one of their old Pokemon over to the new games, knowing they wouldn't all appear in Sw/Sh as per the series history. So they're getting the (eventual) ability to transfer an extra 200 on top of the 400 already supported by Sw/Sh whether they purchase the expansion or not. Obviously 600/890 still isn't all of them, but it's not anything to sneeze at, I think.

So now the conversation has shifted to not wanting to pay to be able to capture them. Which is understandable I guess, but not surprising given the series history (Platinum, B/W2, etc etc)

Merc_

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
The falsehoods all over the place don't surprise me as there are certain Youtubers that are dedicated to stirring negativity in the Pokemon community for views and profit.

Masuda is pretty much getting the Rian Johnson treatment now where people harass the guy over every tweet no matter what it's about.

Last edited:

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Posts doing the whole "game is trash but it's not ok to harass people" are not helping and actually pretty garbage tbh. Your thoughts on the game are not relevant to the abuse Masuda is receiving. There's a better time and place to seek validation on a video game you don't like.

Feb 24, 2018
Yeah things like that are going to far, same way s*** harassing bogleech and their wife privately and publicly because they didn't like not having all his favs in the games and not liking some or the new Pokemon. Toxicity and harassment is never right and the Pokemon fandom over the pass two years has gotten worse and worse, regardless of the opinion or what's being discussed, it feels like harassing anyone has become acceptable if they feel it helps fuel their fan war.
Posts doing the whole "game is trash but it's not ok to harass people" are not helping and actually pretty garbage tbh. Your thoughts on the game are not relevant to the abuse Masuda is receiving. There's a better time and place to seek validation on a video game you don't like.

Same for the people using this to act smug and using Masuda's or anyone harassment to do "gotchas" at anyone who disagrees with them or don't like, it feels so nastly self servicing and show they couldn't care less about the harassment and more about how the harassment can benefit them. Plus it serves nothing but to add further fuel to the flames.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017

That was never going to be the case and the whole "BBND" movement was predicated on transferring

There are:

128 missing in XY
244 missing in ORAS
419 missing in SM
246 missing in USUM

There's around 100 Pokémon that weren't natively in either of the 3DS Pokémon games.

No game has had the capability of "catching them all" since the originals

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I mean, catching them is paywalled, but they said in the direct that trading them doesn't require the pass. If, say, you don't want any of the content in the expansion but your favorite Pokémon is returning exclusive to one of the new islands, you can just trade with a friend who has the pass for that one Pokémon, allowing you to have it without buying the pass.

At least, those are my assumptions based solely on the info in the direct. If I'm wrong, please correct me.
But no Pokémon game has had all Pokémon being available natively since the originals and the whole "BBND" movement was based on getting them added for transfer, which will be possible

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Garbage Twitter comment and very inappropriate.

But maybe just get off Twitter on your Birthday and/or Holiday? Can't be good for you to read this stuff on such days.

Last edited:

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Note, 890 is no longer the correct total unique Pokémon, as there will be new legendaries coming in. I'm guessing there's 900 of them unique Pokémon in total, including the DLC exclusive legendaries.