• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck, the readmitted Pokemon aren't even part of the paid DLC. You get them reguardless of whether you buy the expansions or not.

Also, the whole point of this is so GF doesn't have to make a full priced special edition. People are treating this like they introduced loot boxes or something.

Updates, reintroducing cut Pokemon, adding post game content, introducing a cheaper alternative to special versions, even when GF gives these creeps exactly what they want, nothing satisfied them, almost like they're fans of the outrage rather than the games.
Honestly, I think the minutia of Pokémon availability just isn't something a lot of people have had to think about before, thanks to the factors like:
  1. Since Gen 3, compatibility between generations has never been an issue outside of one-off forms for the Pikachu line locked to specific games.
  2. Especially recently, there's been a lot of stuff that lets you catch a fair number of Pokémon not found in the regional dex.
  3. GTS has been there as an easy way to get things you can't easily find.
  4. Especially recently, stuff like starters, legendaries, and mythicals have been kept fairly available through a combination of Mystery Gifts, remakes, and third versions.
It remains to be seen how well Gen 8 is going to do on #4 (Crown Tundra seems to have the legendaries fairly covered, at least), but the other 3 factors are all missing so far, which is actively calling attention to the lack of availability in a way that hasn't really happened before. Combine that with a definite mix of misinformation and probably some legitimate confusion about the availability of the Pokémon without the DLC from people who heard about it second hand, as well as probably some confusion about the DLC pricing (having two games you can buy the DLC separately for, and also two waves of DLC included in the pass, certainly isn't doing them any favors on the communication front), and I can kinda see why this might rub some people the wrong way.

Basically what I'm saying is that I think there's a fair number of misconceptions going around right now.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
The same also can be said for Smash community. Just take a look at Sakurai at every Smash Direct. The man seems to be lacking sleep (despite seemingly looking younger as the years go by).

Let the man (and the devs behind it) take a one month long break or something.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
They probably love the fact that he replied directly to them. Had it coming sounds like something was actually done about it.
No, I didn't mean it that severely. I just find it mildly amusing when a director/developer gets verbally annoyed with an angry fan. It sucks when it happens, but I still get a chuckle out of it. What Masuda said wasn't even that heated. Would have been funnier if he turned into Kamiya for that moment.

Redeye97

Banned
Apr 25, 2019
Honestly, I think the minutia of Pokémon availability just isn't something a lot of people have had to think about before, thanks to the factors like:
  1. Since Gen 3, compatibility between generations has never been an issue outside of one-off forms for the Pikachu line locked to specific games.
  2. Especially recently, there's been a lot of stuff that lets you catch a fair number of Pokémon not found in the regional dex.
  3. GTS has been there as an easy way to get things you can't easily find.
  4. Especially recently, stuff like starters, legendaries, and mythicals have been kept fairly available through a combination of Mystery Gifts, remakes, and third versions.
It remains to be seen how well Gen 8 is going to do on #4 (Crown Tundra seems to have the legendaries fairly covered, at least), but the other 3 factors are all missing so far, which is actively calling attention to the lack of availability in a way that hasn't really happened before. Combine that with a definite mix of misinformation and probably some legitimate confusion about the availability of the Pokémon without the DLC from people who heard about it second hand, as well as probably some confusion about the DLC pricing (having two games you can buy the DLC separately for, and also two waves of DLC included in the pass, certainly isn't doing them any favors on the communication front), and I can kinda see why this might rub some people the wrong way.

Basically what I'm saying is that I think there's a fair number of misconceptions going around right now.
These are definitely legit concerns that a calmer fanbase would be able to express without throwing a collective tantrum.

Sadly, we're not hearing this from the calmer part of the fanbase, and having these issues addressed isn't they're goal. These people clearly have a different idea in direction than what GF is going for, and want the franchise to be in the hands of the other developers. This is why they continue to harass gamefreak, hoping to have them step aside, why they keep storming up controversy to create pressure, and why they harass people who have few or no complaints about the new game. They don't want Pokemon fixed, they want GF gone.

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
One of the worst things about the whole dexit fiasco is that it led to people like distantkingdom to get a cult like following, he revealed that he is transphobic asshole

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
OP should almost be updated out of fairness to Masuda. Fans used a tweet celebrating his birthday as an opportunity to complain to him and shit on his game.

People in this thread "don't harass devs but yeah the game is shit" are really disappointing. The dude is getting harassed on Twitter, it doesn't much matter if you think "the game is shit".

Come on.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
The dude is getting harassed on Twitter, it doesn't much matter if you think "the game is shit".

Its a pretty similar line of reasoning people used to justify harassing certain Star Wars or Ghostbusters actors and directors because they didn't like their movie. I don't know wtf peoples opinions of a game have to do with the real issue here and it feels like an attempted justification to even bring it up.

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
Yep. Gen 3->4 was the only one that didn't need any extras (Unless you shifted to DSi)

Gen 2 -> 3 was non existent. To get a full dex you needed to buy a combination of Ruby/Sapphire, Emerald, FireRed/LeafGreen, Colosseum and XD

So yeah, a $5-10 HOME subscription is SO EGREGIOUS.
Home does not have a confirmed price. You don't like when people spread mis-information so please don't do it yourself either

TheWill

Sep 24, 2018
Wait... the original question asked about adding older Pokemon through DLC constitutes as harassment how?

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
These are definitely legit concerns that a calmer fanbase would be able to express without throwing a collective tantrum.

Sadly, we're not hearing this from the calmer part of the fanbase, and having these issues addressed isn't they're goal. These people clearly have a different idea in direction than what GF is going for, and want the franchise to be in the hands of the other developers. This is why they continue to harass gamefreak, hoping to have them step aside, why they keep storming up controversy to create pressure, and why they harass people who have few or no complaints about the new game. They don't want Pokemon fixed, they want GF gone.
I'm sure improving Pokémon is ultimately what most of these people want, but Game Freak hasn't exactly been inspiring much confidence that they can pull it off lately. The recent DLC announcement is the most positive sign in a while, and even that is somewhat muddled and depends a lot on execution and what they do afterwards.

Redeye97

Banned
Apr 25, 2019
I'm sure improving Pokémon is ultimately what most of these people want, but Game Freak hasn't exactly been inspiring much confidence that they can pull it off lately. The recent DLC announcement is the most positive sign in a while, and even that is somewhat muddled and depends a lot on execution and what they do afterwards.
And I don't think replacing gamefreak is the end all solution either. A lot of Pokemon's issues are systematic and run right through all aspects of the Pokemon company and its partners. I don't think replacing them would solve all these people's problems and would probably lead to other problems as well. And even if it did, they are still but a part of the greater fanbase who are probably fine with Pokemon the way it is under the developers it has.

I'm surprised I haven't heard of an indie alternative, kinda like Stardew Valley to Harvest Moon. I feel that would be the best way for super fans to get the experience they want.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
"Replacing Game Freak" doesn't even make sense because its their game. Like Satoshi Tajiri was the president and a founder @ GF.

Nintenleo

Nov 9, 2017
Italy
In general, people should calm the fuck down when it's about video games.
And if you really want to harass someone on Twitter, choose Donald Trump.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
As someone who wasn't fond of the decision to cut the national dex and skipped Sword and Shield, moving from updated rereleases to DLC expansions seems like the best possible direction for the series. Not sure why anyone is complaining about that.

Feb 21, 2018
All our problems would be solved if we listened to our mothers and stopped talking to strangers. It's not like he can read all the comments anyway so why bother deluding ourselves into thinking we're having a conversation with someone we admire.

Oct 26, 2017
Him finally snapping back at these assholes makes me happy

You do realize that snapping back meant nothing in the grand scheme of things? The only thing that happened is Masuda gave the troll the satisfaction of a response, which meant that now the troll knows he's gotten under Masuda's skin. We have ignore/block buttons for a reason.

This has been a problem ever since the existence of Social Media, and this isn't going to go away just because one guy told the troll the equivalent of "shut up."

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
And I don't think replacing gamefreak is the end all solution either. A lot of Pokemon's issues are systematic and run right through all aspects of the Pokemon company and its partners. I don't think replacing them would solve all these people's problems and would probably lead to other problems as well. And even if it did, they are still but a part of the greater fanbase who are probably fine with Pokemon the way it is under the developers it has.

I'm surprised I haven't heard of an indie alternative, kinda like Stardew Valley to Harvest Moon. I feel that would be the best way for super fans to get the experience they want.
To be clear, replacing Game Freak really doesn't even make sense and doesn't have any real chance of happening. But at the same time, they're not going to be able to fix the problems without some changes to their development philosophy.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
All our problems would be solved if we listened to our mothers and stopped talking to strangers. It's not like he can read all the comments anyway so why bother deluding ourselves into thinking we're having a conversation with someone we admire.
Talking to strangers is fine. Masuda made a public social media account for a reason, and he probably does enjoy talking about his work.

I think the issue is moreso assuming that just because you have the medium with which to talk to him about his work, that it's appropriate to make demands to him about his work. It's not a PR account that's there to gauge fan response, it's just the account of some bloke. There are more appropriate places to voice your complaints.

Osu 16 Bit

QA Lead at NetherRealm Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago, IL
I get fan complaints every day, no matter what I tweet. I understand I wouldn't have the followers if I wasn't a public figure and that people have the right to criticize a product. I try to be understanding and patient but it wears me down. Facing transphobia is brutal though. I try to limit where I read stuff now(tho I sometimes give into temptation and that's usually a mistake). It's heartbreaking because I used to love reading everything, seeing ppl's impressions, predictions, and takes. Now it's common I see someone being shitty and just makes my day worse. Don't want to be entirely negative though, being known has given me wonderful, super supportive followers who make my day better.

Redeye97

Banned
Apr 25, 2019
To be clear, replacing Game Freak really doesn't even make sense and doesn't have any real chance of happening. But at the same time, they're not going to be able to fix the problems without some changes to their development philosophy.
Agreed. It's just something I keep hearing from the people complaining about Pokemon recently. I'm not necessarily talking about you or anyone else who has legitimate complaints about Pokemon, but the people who continue to harass GF.

And a lot of the development philosophy of gamefreak is not just unique to them either. It's something you see in a lot of Japanese developers, and those in charge of big franchises. GF though probably faces more pressure considering they are stewards of the largest franchise in the world. There's no way anyone could please everyone with a franchise that big, especially combined with Japanese corporate bureaucracy.

Oct 25, 2017
I legit don't know how ed boon stays on twitter.

Like i'm not one of those people who think suggesting or asking a dev or whoever about something is inherently harassment.But every single tweet ed makes is " where i X character " i swear to god even fucking sakurai doesn't get this shit. How does he do it.

I think Ed basically hit a realization those people are fucking idiots and he gets enjoyment from trolling them.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Good lord reading the toxicson this tweet thread made me want to get out of gaming culture for a moment. Such entitled dorks.

#BringBackNationalDex Retweeted

And why would we give you a rest? The only way to write the wrongs that you did and the longtime fans' lives that you destroyed is to #BringBackNationalDex

did they lose their jobs or something

Oct 26, 2017
I don't get it, wasn't the whole National Dex controversy always about transfers?

It was a lot more complicated than that.

The controversy started in E3 2019 when GameFreak publicly announced that not all Pokemon would return in Sword and Shield. They claimed that this was done to increase the quality of the game as far as animations, graphical fidelity, as well as features. This effectively meant that whatever was in the Galar region would ONLY be coded into the game. This isn't Sun/Moon/UltraSun/UltraMoon where you could transfer in non-Alolan Pokemon even with Alolan Dex.

Because Game Freak opened the can of worms by justifying the cuts due to increase in graphical fidelity and quality, this resulted in people trying to find any points of comparison. Either by datamining the game, or by comparing the rigs/frames of each Switch model to the 3DS models, or by showing video content of Pokemon with rather awful animations (for instance Double Kick being underwhelming when compared to signature moves). At this point, it became a vicious cycle of going from criticizing the fact that not all 900+ Pokemon will return, to bashing every single new thing that was shown because it didn't look like "quality" animations.

Syranth

Oct 28, 2017
Maybe don't use it during holidays when you want a break?

I don't access my work e-mail on sundays and then complain about work-related messages.
I get your point, but the guy is reading the well wishes his fans have been adding to a birthday card. It's like getting a birthday card at work and one of the people that signs it put's "why don't I have that report yet?" I don't think we can't ask people to not read their birthday cards.

I also hate to even think the world has gotten to this point yet but saying don't go on social media is almost akin to "don't go outside". I'm older and remember days without it, but to some it's a part of their every day tradition. Hiding is not really a great way to handle things.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Dunno, but this guys making threats and after an attempted mass shooting in 2015 (and social media threats in general) by a disgruntled Pokemon fan I don't know why nobody seems to care about this.

I either never heard or forgot about this.

The apparent threats were posted on a private Pokemon group and included references to Columbine, the Boston bombings and the Boston Massacre, authorities said, prompting the moderator of the forum to contact the Pokemon Company International, setting off the chain of events that led to law enforcement stopping the men from entering the tournament.
Norton planned to shoot a Pokémon game moderator who had blocked him from the private social media forum, prosecutors said.

This is both horrifying and shamefully petty.

Osu 16 Bit

QA Lead at NetherRealm Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago, IL
"just leave social media", "social media is bad" is a pretty simplistic, unhelpful take IMO. There's a lot of good to be gained from it. It's dramatically changed my life for the better.

ak1287

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
User Banned (1 Day): Hostility toward another user.
Wait... the original question asked about adding older Pokemon through DLC constitutes as harassment how?
Motherfucker, this was attached to a post about HIS OWN FUCKING BIRTHDAY.

Like, this tweeter's dumb fucking thoughts wouldn't even be important to us if he hadn't tweeted the dev ON HIS BIRTHDAY, in response to a post ABOUT HIS BIRTHDAY.
"just leave social media", "social media is bad" is a pretty simplistic, unhelpful take IMO. There's a lot of good to be gained from it. It's dramatically changed my life for the better.
Yes, it's not a net bad, and ALSO IT'S NOT INCUMBENT UPON THE PERSON BEING TREATED LIKE SHIT TO CHANGE.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
So sad, and such a bad timing.

They should've played their Sinnoh games to see the diamond dust from today instead of bothering developers on Twitter

slsk

Oct 27, 2017
Are these people actual fans, or just full time trolls? There's no way to find time to play games and complain/nitpick this much.

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
I wish it was the case but I have actually seen the exact same people make the complaints about having to transfer now after asking for transfer
I'm sure there's some people like that, but they're probably either misinformed or just trolls. If they have some actual misconceptions, then it would probably be worth clearing them up, but I don't think we really gain anything from paying too much attention to the trolls. To the contrary, I think there's already been so much focus on trolls and harassers during the entire situation with Sword and Shield that it's really hurt the discourse around the games.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I'm sure there's some people like that, but they're probably either misinformed or just trolls. If they have some actual misconceptions, then it would probably be worth clearing them up, but I don't think we really gain anything from paying too much attention to the trolls. To the contrary, I think there's already been so much focus on trolls and harassers during the entire situation with Sword and Shield that it's really hurt the discourse around the games.

It's more this
EOG4x0CW4AAHeWt.png