• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017

It's unfortunate that he hadn't even done anything for the game yet. Would have loved to see his designs in a horror game.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I really want a Junji Ito horror game that isn't tied down by an existing IP.

Juan29.Zapata

Oct 25, 2017
Colombia
I feel like Kojima was waiting to finish MGSV to start working hard on Silent Hills.

It's a shame that Ito was not approached for Death Stranding.

And what's the scene from Spongebob that got a Junji Ito reference?

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Went to Karaoke with Kojima and Del Toro, got free tickets to Pacific Rim and he didn't even do anything for the project. Worth it.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"I never started designing monsters. Nothing exists. There are no roughs or sketches."

VgXCk.gif

Glass Arrows

Jan 10, 2019
I don't think there's a cancelled game whose lack of existence upsets me more than Silent Hills.

This could have been legendary.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Honestly what I'm sad about is that after the cancellation neither Kojima nor Del Toro talked to Ito afterwards.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
There's no guarantee that the game would have actually been good, though. Everyone imagines what could have been without considering what could also have gone wrong.
I mean, you can say that about literally anything. Should people never get excited for anything since it would possibly be bad?

Also, people played PT and loved the shit out of it.

Krvavi Abadas

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Videoland
I never started designing monsters. Nothing exists. There are no roughs or sketches.
This is the part that really sticks out to me.
I always had a feeling that Silent Hills (Outside of the PT demo.) had barely started development by the time Konami (Most likely due to them scrambling to get the absurdly expensive MGSV project out the door.) cancelled it, and this outright confirms that.

I don't think Del Toro should have ever brought up the fact he wanted Junji Ito to help work on it, because all it's done has been misleading people into thinking that the game was further along in development than it actually was, which only riles up the "#FucKonami" crowd for no good reason.

Masterspeed

Oct 25, 2017
England
The more I hear over the years at what SIlent Hills could of been, I grow progressively pissed off. I can't believe that something out there was actually able to take a crack at being one of the best horror video games ever made, all for it to just be thrown away because of something like Konami. I don't think I'll ever get over it.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
There's no guarantee that the game would have actually been good, though. Everyone imagines what could have been without considering what could also have gone wrong.
Considering the demo was already amazing and the talent involved was amazing I doubt it.

Demacabre

Nov 20, 2017

The demo alone kind of started a trend in pc horror games of copycats. I know the final version was going to be third person, but the talent was there.

I respect skepticism before a launch though, so you could be right.

Oct 27, 2017
Man Silent Hills had some really interesting people involved. Fuck Konami.

Junji Ito in particular could have made some really cool stuff.

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Despite not being able to have a link to Silent Hill itself, I still really hope that one day, we get the Kojima/Del Toro/Junji Ito collaboration. They'll have to think of another name for it, but even given the P.T demo, a lot of it wasn't even grounded in Silent Hill (except the ending, maybe). Maybe after Kojima does his passion project (Death Stranding) we'll get that P.T inspired game from him. That's the hope, anyway. :(

Whompa

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
shame there's no sketches or anything. Would have loved to see his takes.

Is there anything particularly stopping Silent Hills to be reborn in all but name?

Well considering there wasn't even pre-production work on the actual game from Ito at least, I guess there's not much to rebuild...so...hopefully Konami can get its head out of its own ass and get a good team together.

Shame it wont be from Kojima/Del Toro/Reedus/Ito's perspectives though.

Toriko

Banned
Dec 29, 2017
A fully crazy Kojima, Del Torro and Junji Ito in one project could have resulted in the greatest horror game of this gen. I will always begrudge Konami for the nonsense they pulled.

bangai-o

Oct 27, 2017
Is there anything particularly stopping Silent Hills to be reborn in all but name?
Is Kojima exclusive with Sony now? That would make it hard for any 3rd party studio who is interested.

A fully crazy Kojima, Del Torro and Junji Ito in one project could have resulted in the greatest horror game of this gen. I will always begrudge Konami for the nonsense they pulled.
Also Fox Engine. It seems like such a marvelous game engine.

Aftermath

Oct 27, 2017
What made the PT demo so good to me as slightly messed up as this will sound.

FPP games make me queasy usually to the point I barely play them any more, thats why I got upset about another game thats going to be FPP instead of TPP but thats not a topic for this thread right now, but cos of that factor and I love horror, I made an exception to play PT even though it was making me feel almost ill.

It made PT a dizzying horrifying experience for me, added to the uncomfortableness like a good horror should, plus it was due to go TPP in a full game anyway.

TLDR - FPP games make me dizzy/feel ill, I forced myself to play PT cos I love horror and loved the fact that the game made me dizzy and uneasy just from the perspective alone and then add the horror ontop.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Despite being a playable teaser, PT is legit the scariest game I ever played.

I really hope after Death Stranding they decide to do another horror game.

Fairy Godmother

Backward compatible
Oct 27, 2017
That's a shame. But the movies and anime based on his works were terribad.
Manga is probably the best platform for his imagination, until I'm proven otherwise.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
If you mean in terms of getting the same team together, it would be the timing. Del Toro is already overbooked as is, and Kojima is able to work on games that aren't Metal Gear, so he seems pretty content too.

El-Pistolero

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
Sony should consider a future collaborative project in the same veing...
Why OP, why? Just when you start forgetting...