• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which do you prefer?

• Jurassic Park

Votes: 266 43.8%
  • Terminator 2

Votes: 341 56.2%

• Total voters

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
T2 is a lesser retread of The Terminator.

Jurassic Park is a magical evergreen experience that is so good that its franchise is still surviving off of its greatness like some shitty trust fund kid.

fairwxfriend

Jan 31, 2021
I understand some peoples predisposition towards terminator but I think people forget just how seminal of a work Jurassic Park was for the industry. It literally shifted the trajectories and careers of influential special effects artists like Phil Tippett at ILM.

Comparing these movies is weird tho - one's a sequel and one stands alone on its own. They're gonna tick different boxes.

The answer is JP tho lol

rashbeep

Oct 27, 2017
honestly I think I might go jp

it just has the more impactful moments for me.. the t rex breakout scene and final confrontation is stunning to experience with a good sound system

Ubik

Nov 13, 2018
Canada
They are both in my top 10 of all time. JP gets the edge though because of 7 year old me seeing it in theatres. Didn't see T2 until shortly after it was out on video. The only better theatre experience was seeing 2001: A Space Odyssey in IMAX for the 50th anniversary. Also that John Williams score just edges out the Terminator theme too. Super close though.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
T2 is one of the best action movies of all time.

JP has neither the best action nor the best sci-fi nor the best dialogue nor the best music etc lol

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
For my childhood, I'd have to say Jurassic Park. That movie had a bunch of 5th graders suddenly start reading Crichton whereas I can't really recall watching T2 until later in life (though surely I did once it hit the rental shops).

As an adult, I've probably rewatched T2 more though.

Dogstar

Oct 29, 2017
A tough one. The only thing letting both down is some annoying kid acting moments, but T2 has less annoying kid moments by a whisker. Both amazing and cutting edge in their day, and both filling different moods. Can't pick tbh.

Mucha

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
I think Jurassic Park is an awesome adventure that climaxes with the stunningly crafted T-Rex outbreak. It's fantastic with fun characters and incredible dinosaurs and special effects.

That said, Terminator 2 just hits different for me. It's a masterpiece that builds up to an incredible crescendo. The feeling of impending doom is felt throughout the whole movie.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
I voted T2 because I think it has cooler scenes that, for me, elevate it quite a bit, but I'd much rather sit down and watch Jurassic Park.

Shiz Padoo

Oct 13, 2018
Jurassic Park. I have all films on each side but seeing Jurassic Park for the first time in the cinema was magical. The anticipation of seeing the first dinosaur on the big screen was intense.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
I love them both but JP is damn well near the defining cinematic experience. Very few movies have had such a profound impact on so many people. Shit JW movies are still making a billion based almost entirely on nostalgia for the original. It's hard for anything to compare.

Having said all that T2 may be the best action movie ever and certainly deserves to be discussed among the all time greats.

MadraptorMan

Oct 27, 2017
Niigata, Japan
Jurassic Park literally defined my existence in the 90s. T2 was cool, sure, but it didn't have velociraptors and ironically outdid Cameron in the effects department.

Kinketsu

Nov 17, 2017
Terminator 2 by a mile, didnt care much for JP at the time outside of a big "event". In fairness I was never really interested in dinosaurs and was already a solid Arnie / action movie fan by the time JP came out a few years later. However I used the hell out a Jurassic Park collectable cup full of off-brand coke while watching Terminator or Running Man or whatever at home.

Oct 30, 2017
this is even less of a question than the die hard thread. JP by about three million miles, the greatest blockbuster of all time

Kinketsu

Nov 17, 2017
Setting aside all other aspects...

JP has actual acting, characters you care about and confronts some ethical questions.

T2 is basically about an annoying kid following a robot around, making corny 1 liners while trying to not get killed by another robot.

If only T2 had ethical questions like not judging people based on previous experience and nature vs nurture, what constitutes humanity, if it is right to indoctrinate your child into your belief system, if you should judge / kill people based on what they might do rather than what they have already done and so on....but alas...

J2C

Oct 26, 2017
T2 set the stage. It was more unanimously beloved upon release, surpassing most people's already high expectations. JP was and has become a classic, but critics were comparing Spielberg's desire to show off the dinosaurs vs his restraint with the shark in Jaws. It was hyped to no end before release, and mostly lived up to its pretty lofty expectations. On home video (in the 90s) before incredible sound systems and video were a thing, JP was a little underwhelming, and only a film me and siblings sometimes would watch if we were patient enough to get through the slow beginning. T2 meanwhile shot out like a cannon, was as good on home video as in theater. Superior pacing, hooks an audience more, is less reliant on 'wow' factor, lighter on the sap

I also want to say in terms of structure and cinematic equivalents, you can probably find a number of films comparable as an experience to JP. I wouldn't say the same is true for T2, it really feels singular in what it does or any films that tried a similar experience fell well short.

Last edited:

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
I mean, T2 is clearly the better movie. Jurassic Park also sucks because it left out the more interesting parts of the book to focus on the ooh and the ah and then the running and screaming. T2 doesn't have a book it fails to live up to.

Still voting Jurassic Park though. How couldn't I. It's about dinosaurs and came out when I was eleven. I watched it four times in the cinema.

Terminator 2 came out when I was 9 so I wasn't allowed to see it in the cinema. Had to wait until it was on VHS, and even then I was too young to fully appreciate it.

(And since I'm 40 so at the edge of boomerlennial, I would argue T2 is much more a Gen X movie, given its higher age rating than JP)

Oct 25, 2017
Both are great sci-fi flicks, but T2 has the edge for me.

While T2 respectfully wins this one... How would it hold up to...say...LOTR: Fellowship?

Very well, but I'm not big on fantasy in the first place. I do think T1 is even better than 2 though. That is such a lean and mean movie. Pretty much perfect. The Tech Noir scene is phenomenal.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
Tough one. Both represented films that had such massive impact on me. Jurassic Park represented the wonder of my childhood come to life, in sometimes brutal ways, while T2 was like the cold nihilism of reality slapping me in the face as a sort of wake up call.

T2 was also the first R-rated film I got to choose and watch without it being something I happened to watch that my parents were watching and let me watch, so even more so that it had these sort of existential themes about free will was something that really resonated with me.

Both are such great films though with cutting edge visual effects that still hold up pretty well. I think JP might be better as a story. The thriller components of both are top notch, along with the action. T2's themes and action I think top it.

The dread you can feel during T2, from the stakes to the villain to the world-building, I think set the bar for storytelling in media for me. It's something that is kind of an untangible that is tough for films to reach and all the following Terminator films just haven't captured.

I think for that, I put T2 on top, but I think from a technical direction, storytelling, writing, and acting perspective, I think I'd give a Best Picture award to JP over T2. If I was picking my favorite, most impactful film of the two, T2.

Muitnorts

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Perhaps the best movie ever or T2? Yeah Jurassic gets this one fucking easily. A total masterpiece of suspense.

The T Rex paddock scene alone is leagues better than anything T2 has to offer. That's not really a slam though, it's one of the best sequences ever.

Frodo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'll vote Jurassic Park, because as much as you can argue that T2 is the better film, Jurassic Park had a much bigger impact to me when I was a kid.

Both incredibly re-watchable, though. Although both have annoying kids. T2 wins on having fewer kids, if that's the metric we are considering.

Orso

Oct 28, 2017
Jurassic Park is one of the few films that can make me pause for a second before voting for T2, the greatest story ever told.