• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DemonCarnotaur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
jurassiceraheader7fsmq.png

This thread is for general discussion of the Jurassic Park franchise, past present and future. The follow-up to Jurassic World has been announced for a June 22, 2018 release and there are plans for something of a "universe" following the huge success of Jurassic World. As such, there will be a lot to talk about going forward with new content coming as early as next year. In the meantime, open discussion for the series as a whole is encouraged.

One final but very important note: this thread is completely open to spoilers for all four movies.

4xj04mxyaksux.png

Paleontologists Alan Grant (Sam Neill) and Ellie Sattler (Laura Dern) and mathematician Ian Malcolm (Jeff Goldblum) are among a select group chosen to tour an island theme park populated by dinosaurs created from prehistoric DNA. While the park's mastermind, billionaire John Hammond (Richard Attenborough), assures everyone that the facility is safe, they find out otherwise when various ferocious predators break free and go on the hunt.
  • Directed by Steven Spielberg, written by David Koepp, original score by John Williams
  • Stars Ian Malcolm, Sam Neill as Dr. Alan Grant, Laura Dern as Dr. Ellie Sattler, Richard Attenborough as John Hammond, B.D. Wong as Dr. Henry Wu, Joseph Mazzello as Tim Murphy, Ariana Richards as Lex Murphy
  • Featured dinosaurs: Velociraptor, Gallimimus, Tyrannosaurus Rex, Brachiosaur, Triceratops, Dilophosaurus
  • Jurassic Park's budget was $65 million.

"You know the first... attraction I ever built when I came down south from Scotland? It was a flea circus. "Petticoat Lane." Really quite wonderful. We had a wee trapeze, and a merry-go... carousel and a seesaw. They all moved, motorized of course, but people would say they could see the fleas. "Oh, I see the fleas, mummy! Can't you see the fleas?" Clown fleas and high wire fleas and fleas on parade... But with this place, I wanted to show them something that wasn't an illusion. Something that was real, something that they could see and touch. An aim... not devoid of merit." - John Hammond

az1jee4za5sba.png

John Hammond (Richard Attenborough) summons chaos theorist Ian Malcolm (Jeff Goldblum) to his home with some startling information -- while nearly everything at his Jurassic Park had been destroyed, his engineers happened to have a second site, where other dinosaurs were kept in hiding. It seems the dinosaurs on the second island are alive and well and even breeding; and Hammond wants Malcolm to observe and document the reptiles before Hammond's financiers can get to them.
  • Directed by Steven Spielberg, written by David Koepp, original score by John Williams
  • Stars Ian Malcolm, Julianne Moore as Dr. Sarah Harding, Vince Vaughn as Nick van Owen, Pete Postlethwaite as Roland Tembo, Arliss Howard as Peter Ludlow, Vanessa Chester as Kelly Curtis, and Richard Attenborough as John Hammond
  • Featured dinosaurs: Procompsognathus, Stegosaurus, Tyrannosaurus Rex (x2), Triceratops, Velociraptor
  • The film originally ended with an aerial battle on Isla Sorna involving pteranodons, but Spielberg suggested the T-Rex be loose in the city. As such, the only pteranodon appearance is during the final shot of the film. The Stegosaurus was also included by popular demand.

"Peter, if you want me to run your little camping trip, there are two conditions: first, I'm in charge, and when I'm not around, Dieter is. All you have to do is sign the checks, tell us we're doing a good job, and open your case of scotch when we have a good day. Second condition: my fee? You can keep it. All I want in return for my services is the right to hunt one of the Tyrannosaurs. A male, a buck only. How and when is my business. Now if you don't like either of those conditions, you're on your own. So go ahead, set up base camp right here, or in a swamp, or in the middle of a Rex nest for all I care. But I've been on too many safaris with rich dentists to listen to any more suicidal ideas, okay?" - strafer

9yfuthfec6shc.png

After being persuaded by a wealthy businessman to conduct an aerial tour of Isla Sorna, InGen's second site for a failed Jurassic Park experiment, Dr. Alan Grant (Sam Neill) discovers the true reason for his invitation. A tragic accident maroons the party of seven, and they must attempt to escape with their lives.
  • Directed by Joe Johnston, written by Alexander Payne and Jim Taylor, original score composed by Don Davis
  • Stars Ian Malcolm's book, Sam Neill as Dr. Alan Grant, William H. Macy as Paul Kirby, Tea Leoni as Amanda Kirby, Trevor Morgan as Eric Kirby, Alessandro Nivola as Billy Brennan
  • Featured dinosaurs: Spinosaurus, Tyrannosaurus Rex, Velociraptor, Ankylosaurus, Pteranodon, Carnotaurus, Procompsognathus
  • The film's second script involved Pteranodon escaping from Isla Sorna and causing a spate of mysterious killings on the mainland, which was to be investigated by Alan Grant and a number of other characters including Billy Brennan, a naturalist named Simone, a tough military attaché, wealthy Paul Roby, and Roby's teenage son Miles.

"Alan." - PTSD Velociraptor Manifestation

zu3lrnjo9wsl4.png

Located off the coast of Costa Rica, the Jurassic World luxury resort provides a habitat for an array of genetically engineered dinosaurs, including the vicious and intelligent Indominus rex. When the massive creature escapes, it sets off a chain reaction that causes the other dinos to run amok. Now, it's up to a former military man and animal expert (Chris Pratt) to use his special skills to save two young brothers and the rest of the tourists from an all-out, prehistoric assault.
  • Directed by Colin Trevorrow, written by Colin Trevorrow, Derek Connolly, Rick Jaffa, Amanda Silver, original score composed by Michael Giacchino
  • Stars Ian Malcolm's book, Chris Pratt as Owen Grady, Bryce Dallas Howard as Claire Dearing, Vincent D'Onofrio as Vic Hoskins, Irrfan Khan as Simon Masrani, Ty Simpkins as Gray Mitchell, Nick Robinson as Zach Mitchell, B.D. Wong as Dr. Henry Wu, Matty Cardarople as the Gyrosphere Operator, and Jake Johnson as Lowery
  • Featured dinosaurs: Indominus Rex, Tyrannosaurus Rex, Velociraptor, Mosasaurus, Apatosaurus, Ankylosaurus, Triceratops, Stegosaurus, Pteranodon, Dimorphodon
  • Jurassic World went through over ten years of concepts and revisions with several scripts written by many different writers, the first of which being Josh Sayles who pitched a draft involving a character named Nick that would go to Isla Nublar to retrieve the Barbasol can and deliver it to InGen, which led to the creation of trained dinosaurs that could use weapons. Despite this version not being used, it is easy to see how loose remnants of this script would find their way into the final film.
  • The Indominus Rex's scientific name, mentioned by Claire in the film, is Archaeornithomimus.

"Enough about cost! John Hammond entrusted me with his dying wish and not once did he mention profits. Spared no expense, he used to say. Don't forget why we built this place, Claire. Jurassic World exists to remind us how very small we are, how new. You can't put a price on that. Now please -- we're flying!" - Simon Masrani

fallenkingdombannertbueb.png

On June 22, 2017, one year before theatrical debut, the sequel to Jurassic World gets a full title and logo: Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom.
  • Directed by J.A. Bayona, written by Colin Trevorrow and Derek Connolly, original score composed by Michael Giacchino
  • Stars Chris Pratt, Bryce Dallas Howard, James Cromwell, B.D. Wong, Toby Jones, Rafe Spall, and Jeff Goldblum
  • They envisioned a trilogy from the very beginning, laying the groundwork for the sequels in Jurassic World.
  • Jurassic World was based on Ian Malcolms quote "I'll tell you the problem with the scientific power that you're using here, it didn't require any discipline to attain it. You read what others had done and you took the next step. You didn't earn the knowledge for yourselves, so you don't take any responsibility for it. You stood on the shoulders of geniuses to accomplish something as fast as you could, and before you even knew what you had, you patented it, and packaged it, and slapped it on a plastic lunchbox, and now you're selling it." hence the corporate atmosphere, product placement and more.
  • Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom is based upon Dr. Grants quote "The world has just changed so radically, and we're all running to catch up. Dinosaurs and man, two species separated by 65 million years of evolution have just been suddenly thrown back into the mix together. How can we possibly have the slightest idea what to expect?"
  • Departing from the parks and islands 'We've seen people chased by dinosaurs on the islands, it's time to explore new things and places'
  • It's about extraordinary things happening in our world. References alien invasion movies and how they focus on "What would happen, what would we do?"
  • Not about going bigger in scale, but bigger with the story and further exploring our relationship with animals, dinosaurs and the impact of bringing the animals back to life.
  • References the concept of 'Apple vs PC' again, as in the possibility of two manufacturers of Dinosaurs in the future.
  • Claire and Owen tied deeply to the universe going forward, both have 'opened Pandora's Box' in some regard and are 'responsible' for things to come.
  • They now have free reign in creating the films and expanding the universe. There were certain parameters for Jurassic World, but now the sky is the limit.

jpnovelsunuo6.png

Jurassic Park is a 1990 science fiction novel written by Michael Crichton, divided into seven sections (iterations). Often considered a cautionary tale on unconsidered biological tinkering in the same spirit as Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, it uses the metaphorical collapse of an amusement park showcasing genetically recreated dinosaurs to illustrate the mathematical concept of chaos theory and its philosophical implications. A sequel titled The Lost World, also written by Crichton, was published in 1995. In 1997, both novels were re-published as a single book titled Michael Crichton's Jurassic World, unrelated to the film of the same name

• The novel began as Crichton conceived a screenplay about a graduate student who recreates a dinosaur in 1983. Eventually, given his reasoning that genetic research is expensive and "there is no pressing need to create a dinosaur", Crichton concluded that it would emerge from a "desire to entertain", leading to a wildlife park of extinct animals. Originally it was told from the point of view of a child, but Crichton changed it as everyone who read the draft felt it would be better if told by an adult.

Information from Wikipedia.

60d-1i3jaass2.png

Hybrids!? Don't freak out, this is probably a merchandising thing only, and it's not even confirmed. However, the evidence is stacking up:
So, we'll probably get some toys, comics and stuff in vein. This is not indicative of the direction of the Jurassic World sequel!

Huge thanks to brandonh83 who made the original thread back in 2015 - I have shamelessly stolen it. To be fair, I helped work on it then! I will be making tweaks and edits the OP to fully transition to JurassicEra and embrace all the new information we know.

SPOILERS FOR FALLEN KINGDOM SHOULD BE TAGGED

Welcome to....

dmyrC5l.gif

Welcome to....

dmyrC5l.gif

We like dinosaurs. We like Jurassic Park. Enjoy some images that sum up our community.

gbEa5Eg.jpg

Again, we are

under_constructionag9ka2.gif

Do you think they'll have this on the tour?

e9a9b371-e386-4d0d-a36e-91e4c915fd50

PCDvaum.gif

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Haha you actually used my mspaint picture. I thought you were joking.

I realized only recently that Toby Jones is going to be in the new one. I like that guy.

OP
OP
DemonCarnotaur

DemonCarnotaur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I just want to note that the photo-real Little Foot is terrifying and I have been waiting a long time to find a reason to share it.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
I've been hearing a great deal about you guys while we waited to join. Didn't even know you guys were real until we were shown our entry orders. Just wanted to check up, and perhaps join in on the conversations some time. I love the movies, and I love dinosaurs.

OP
OP
DemonCarnotaur

DemonCarnotaur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I've been hearing a great deal about you guys while we waited to join. Didn't even know you guys were real until we were shown our entry orders. Just wanted to check up, and perhaps join in on the conversations some time. I love the movies, and I love dinosaurs.
Welcome to the party! You looking forward to Fallen Kingdom?

Oct 25, 2017
Hello JurassicERA

I am looking forward to Fallen Kingdom but not as much I'm looking forward to Jurassic World Evolution on PC

OP
OP
DemonCarnotaur

DemonCarnotaur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Doesn't it debut with Star Wars?

When I was first told a trailer date a few months back, prior to the recent mainstream news break, I was told it would debut online in November alongside the new social/web marketing campaign, and was formally attached to The Last Jedi in theaters. It is guaranteed to be out with The Last Jedi, but unless something major changes, we should be seeing it prior to that.

Jurassic World did something similar - mainstream movie blogs reported it would be attached to The Hobbit 3 (it was), but it hit the web in November.

Ominym

Oct 25, 2017
When I was first told a trailer date a few months back, prior to the recent mainstream news break, I was told it would debut online in November alongside the new social/web marketing campaign, and was formally attached to The Last Jedi in theaters. It is guaranteed to be out with The Last Jedi, but unless something major changes, we should be seeing it prior to that.

Jurassic World did something similar - mainstream movie blogs reported it would be attached to The Hobbit 3 (it was), but it hit the web in November.
Fingers crossed then. All the promotional material we've seen thus far has got me ready for something more substantial.

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Come on Demon, fix that OP, this is not acceptable, Jurassic ERA deserves better. :D

OP
OP
DemonCarnotaur

DemonCarnotaur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Maybe I can hide the original OP in spoiler tags if I make a proper one... it's just, it's grown on me.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
New revolving logo is awesome, clay Littlefoot is creepy, and Indoraptor is still a dumb name... but I can't wait to see it!

Xam3l

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Sup guys! May I join the ride?

I'll keep this under my sight as Im excited af for the next Jurassic movie.

For now I'll leave this gem here.

Xam3l

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
T'was my fav lego game since the first star wars ones.

Oh and the track from the triceratops recovery level is the loveliest of them all.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
I really enjoyed the hell out of it, but I can't say I wasn't disappointed they had to use stand-ins for all but the principle cast members in the first 3 movies. I get it, but Not-Wayne Knight and co. bugged me haha.

I really hope Fallen Kingdom gets a Lego adaptation, but I'm not holding my breath. :\

OP
OP
DemonCarnotaur

DemonCarnotaur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
That's something I have been wondering - what did they do for the LEGO The Force Awakens game?

Universal did say they have more Jurassic games to tie in with Fallen Kingdom that will be announced "soon".

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
That's something I have been wondering - what did they do for the LEGO The Force Awakens game?

Universal did say they have more Jurassic games to tie in with Fallen Kingdom that will be announced "soon".
The main story was 10 missions long, as opposed to the typical 5-6 per film from the multi-film games. Then they had a prologue (the end of RotJ) and epilogue (which is just making your way up the mountain on Ahch-To to meet Luke), and 6 bonus side-stories that provided additional semi-canon backstory for various characters and events in the movie (Rathtar hunt, Lor San Tekka's return to the village). There's also the typical hub world progression and quests.

Altogether it was easily the size of the standard multi-film games. They also had a few DLC bonus missions too.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DemonCarnotaur

DemonCarnotaur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
The main story was 10 missions long, as opposed to the typical 5-6 per film from the multi-film games. Then they had a prologue (the end of RotJ) and epilogue (which is just making your way up the mountain on Ahch-To to meet Luke), and 6 bonus side-stories that provided additional semi-canon backstory for various characters and events in the movie (Rathtar hunt, Lor San Tekka's return to the village). There's also the typical gun world progression and quests.

Altogether it was easily the size of the standard multi-film games. They also had a few DLC bonus missions too.

Did the quality line up for the multi-film games? If they were able to extend one film to the same size of content, I suppose it's possible!