• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
As I'm listening to the score, I'm reflecting on the past movies and I think I realize what's "wrong" with the new films (disclaimer: I enjoyed JW and have yet to see FK).

The first movie didn't have super celebrity actors that kids knew and HAD to go see it because of their presence. JW had friggin' Star Lord and even gave him a hero pan shot for his introduction. I just think it changes the viewer's perception and it seems more self aware compared to kids going to see it for the dinosaurs. The very first sequel was even guilty of this with Malcolm's return and treatment.

I don't know if my ramblings make sense or if anyone agrees, but I'm digging the OST as I write this.
Guardians of the Galaxy was released 10 months before Jurassic World. Before that he was best known for Parks and Rec. He absolutely was not cast as a huge star. He was definitely miscast though, and leaning hard on his typical character style in Fallen Kingdom isn't something I'm a huge fan of.

World's casting in general wasn't terribly far off from the first one though, to be honest. Brolin would have been a great fit for the series and much better casting.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I still say the characters should be important in these films. If not you might as well just watch walking with dinosaurs again.

I will however agree with casting affecting the tone. If we had Brolin in the lead. These films as a whole would be a lot differnt. Far less jokes for everyone and humor more tailored to how it was in the first two films.

Oct 27, 2017
Guardians of the Galaxy was released 10 months before Jurassic World. Before that he was best known for Parks and Rec. He absolutely was not cast as a huge star. He was definitely miscast though, and leaning hard on his typical character style in Fallen Kingdom isn't something I'm a huge fan of.

World's casting in general wasn't terribly far off from the first one though, to be honest. Brolin would have been a great fit for the series and much better casting.
Yes, I had erased my "happy coincidence" line regarding him being in world, but just the impact and expectation when seeing him changes the perception. Though I actually quite liked his character and more serious side.

I was just making the observation that that perception could be what makes for such differing opinions. I'm also realizing that despite liking JW, I'm recognizing what keeps it from JP status.

I guess I want to see less Nickelodeon awards show host types and more serious casting/cinematography/pacing etc.

Or maybe I'm still just really grumpy because I haven't seen FK yet and the honeymoon/hype period is over with for the rest of the world and negative opinions have soured me...

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I wonder if we will ever get a R rated Jurassic movie.

Seeing a Raptor fucking rip some poor dude.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Still no idea whats the deal is with avoinding the classic theme so much.
Still no idea why everyone gets crazy when Gaccino is attached to a movie anyway. Every Blockbuster he is in has a shit soundtrack with zero memorability.
??? the classic theme pops up in JW1 like... 40 times lol

Giacchino's Pixar and Star Trek scores are all-time greats (Incredibles and Up are particularly good), along with everything he's done with JJ (Lost is damn god-tier) and his Medal of Honor work. Rogue One was great, particularly given that it was written, recorded, and edited in weeks. Spider-Man and Dr. Strange suffer more from being Marvel movies, those things are generally allergic to good scores outside of the main themes for Avengers and Cap (though Winter Soldier was aight). Pretty sure those are a case of the director's really not giving the composers a whole lot to do, and then chopping it all up haphazardly, which is unfortunately all too common nowadays.

GAMEPROFF

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
??? the classic theme pops up in JW1 like... 40 times lol
Yeah, its starts playing and stops before the memorable part comes. The two seconds in the beginning of the track do not count as the theme popping up.

Giacchino's Pixar and Star Trek scores are all-time greats (Incredibles and Up are particularly good), along with everything he's done with JJ (Lost is damn god-tier) and his Medal of Honor work. Rogue One was great, particularly given that it was written, recorded, and edited in weeks. Spider-Man and Dr. Strange suffer more from being Marvel movies, those things are generally allergic to good scores outside of the main themes for Avengers and Cap (though Winter Soldier was aight). Pretty sure those are a case of the director's really not giving the composers a whole lot to do, and then chopping it all up haphazardly, which is unfortunately all too common nowadays.
Cant remember a single track of Rogue One. I just remember that he fucked up doing what the music is supposed to do when certain things happen (This is Star Wars, when a imperial Star Destroyer jumps out of hyperspace, you have to do a variation of the march). And I dont think that because every other componists in a Marvel movie is bland its ok that he is also bland in these one.
Maybe he is not suited for live action, he should go back to do Pixar Movies. He doesnt live up to his hype in everything else.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
And I dont think that because every other componists in a Marvel movie is bland its ok that he is also bland in these one.
The MCU has the likes of Silvestri and Djawadi and they definitely weren't turning in their most memorable scores either. It's absolutely in line with how they are produced and directed, and Marvel's "music problem" is something that's been written about plenty enough. They just aren't projects that give their composers a whole lot to work with. Even then, I'd say the main themes of Strange and Spider-Man are still solid, particularly amongst the franchise as a while.

And there's really not much of a difference between composing an animated feature and live action one, so that's not really much of a point.

As far as memorable themes for Rogue One (which again, was completed start to finish in a matter of weeks), I'd say his Jyn, Empire, and Whills themes were all grade A classic Star Wars.

Some other great pieces from him:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EO1FZEUbZJE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xhIX4qr9JI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ql2DVjVTyWE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t45bv4RfHvw
Hell, even his Tomorrowland theme is great: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yHNE1kI6gI
A videogame, but: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4HlBOgb42k

OP
OP
DemonCarnotaur

DemonCarnotaur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I think I would be up for a new composer taking a stab at JW3, in all honesty.

But the Fallen Kingdom score is pretty nice.

Oct 27, 2017
I actually find the JW theme very memorable and hummable (and likeable) but that may be because it got ingrained in my head thanks to the Lego Jurassic World game.

Ororo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I got Baby Blue and the Indoraptor as McDonalds toys today, they're pretty good for being fast food toys.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
There's something I really like about how Jurassic Park and Lost World look. Unsure if it's the camera they used to film it or what. But it just has this nice look that gives them their own feel

CheeseConey

Oct 27, 2017
Managed to get the new Mondo Jurassic Park poster, usually never have any luck getting their limited posters. This one seems to have sold out instantly too, by the time I had completed the purchase it was gone.

CheeseConey

Oct 27, 2017
There was a new one? :( Link, to see what I missed?

yhIUp5P.jpg

Limited to 300

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
FYI, looks like Gamestop will also be carrying JW2 toys. The stock photos used list Series 2 stuff on there, so I wonder how accurate that is? Buying online just sends you "at random". None of my close stores have any figures in (yet) to check out.

OP
OP
DemonCarnotaur

DemonCarnotaur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
FYI, looks like Gamestop will also be carrying JW2 toys. The stock photos used list Series 2 stuff on there, so I wonder how accurate that is? Buying online just sends you "at random". None of my close stores have any figures in (yet) to check out.
Series 2 attack packs have shown up at my local stores.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Man, sometimes I forget how un-predatory Pokémon Go is. Then I open up that Jurassic PoGo clone and am *immediately* greeted by "VIP EPIC INCUBATOR $9.99 JOIN NOW", lol

CheeseConey

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe that would kick Universal into gear to make some changes...

Im sure Trevorrow is a great guy and all but they really need to get some more experienced writers. From all the reviews I have read JA Bayona's direction does not seem to be problem, Trevorrow's writing is. Would love for Universal to bring Bayona back and have some different writers come in. Still seeing it multiple times regardless, and still excited.

OP
OP
DemonCarnotaur

DemonCarnotaur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
You should have heard the insane internal projection Universal was apparently telling their license partners mid last year. If they were serious, this has fallen way short.

Maybe it was the case of over zealous reps speaking out of term? Either way.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Domestic is expected to be lower than 150. It was always going to be less than 208 million. But 150 million is a HUGE drop. Especially when you factor in some the titles this year like dead pool 2 which barely dented down from their originals.
Ah, yeah I remember that number, thought you were pointing at it being even lower than that. It's a pretty sizeable drop, but not really anything too terrible in isolation. But then the legs are probably gonna be godawful, so there's no point in taking it in isolation anyway, lol.

Even still, I think it would need BvS legs on that opening before Universal acted, and I genuinely don't expect that. BvS made more than half of its entire run in its opening weekend, and that's not really possible without the combination of the absolutely insane hype and a film so bad it started crumbling by day 2. JW's opening has already scaled down to match generally accurate expectations, so I'd be surprised if it failed to get a 2.5 multiplier or thereabouts, based on Justice League comparisons.

Oct 27, 2017
Tonight, FINALLY!

After rerererererewatching JW, I still absolutely love the tracking shots in its finale. Anything comparable in FK?

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
delayed response, lol

You should have heard the insane internal projection Universal was apparently telling their license partners mid last year. If they were serious, this has fallen way short.

Maybe it was the case of over zealous reps speaking out of term? Either way.
They weren't expecting growth, were they?

Maybe they're dumber than I thought. Which might bode well.

That said, a low opening reflects upon marketing and the previous film, though I wonder how much they'll accurate assign to whom and if we have some nonsense like Bayona catching the flack.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
I got my tickets for Sat night with friends. Despite the mumblings, I'm still really looking forward to it. There's NO WAY it can be worse than 3.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
I got my tickets for Sat night with friends. Despite the mumblings, I'm still really looking forward to it. There's NO WAY it can be worse than 3.
Jurassic World already was, lol.

JPIII really isn't that bad. It just sort of... exists. It's an entirely innocuous 90 minute DTV-esque sequel that's more or less a montage of random scenes from the first two movies/novels.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Jurassic World already was, lol.

JPIII really isn't that bad. It just sort of... exists. It's an entirely innocuous 90 minute DTV-esque sequel that's more or less a montage of random scenes from the first two movies/novels.

It may have had some book events, but there's no way that I can agree that 3 > JW. 3 was just executed awful. I still watch it sometimes for funsies, but while admitting that it wasn't good. I get so much more enjoyment with The Adventures of Blue vs Indominous.

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Off to see Fallen Kingdom finally. I don't have much in the way of expectations, I just hope it's a fun ride. See y'all on the other side.

Ororo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dang it, this isn't in my area. Are you outside of NA? Had my wife pick up McD's and got Incredibles 2 toys. Now that's in my belly as I get ready to see JWFK in theaters.... x.x

Well I'm in NA just not the US ;)
I think McDonalds US isn't getting it though, it's out elsewhere in the world though, there's 10 different dinosaurs: here is a pic from my twitter of the 10 and the Indoraptor/Baby Blue toys I got.