• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Just got out as well. I loved it as well. I can see some of the elements people might not have liked. But this movie basically did everything I wanted it to outside being a full Dino Crisis movie lol.

Apr 26, 2018
Just got home. Saw the movie in potato quality online a week or so ago so I was already well aware of the script and pacing issues. Thought it was a 6 or 7 tops the first time around.

Second time around and watching in IMAX was much better. I think being prepared for the how quickly things move along and seeing how truly gorgeous the film is bumps up my rating to a 7 maybe 7.5.

My theater was really digging it it seemed. Laughing at pretty much every Chris Pratt and Justice Smith joke, clapping and cheering at moments, and a good amount gave it a standing ovation at the end. The jump scares got a number of people too. It was a fun. I'll be there day 1 for JW3

OP
OP
DemonCarnotaur

DemonCarnotaur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Really surprised by the positive reception. I really loath what this film has done to the franchise, like damn.

it's just fast and the furious level ridiculousness now. not what I want from Jurassic. Blargh. Jurassic park has its own thing going, and this just throws it all out for the super hero genre silliness (which I love in the right films)

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Wow, surprised to see the positive comments! Seemed like you guys liked it more than Mr. Outpost vx

OP
OP
DemonCarnotaur

DemonCarnotaur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
To my defense, everyone I have seen the movie with, and it's been a diverse crowd, everyone walked out disappointed to some degree. And some of them love Jurassic World almost more than park, and pretty much love everything.

We all had our own holdups and reasons though, but tonally it all was similar reasoning

CheeseConey

Oct 27, 2017
New rankings for me.

#1. Jurassic Park
#2. The Lost World (I adore this movie)
#3. Fallen Kingdom
#4. Jurassic World
#5. Jurassic Park 3

Im really wanting to see it again. Also best kid actor since the first film, she was pretty damn good. Still gathering my thoughts, but I didn't really have too many problems with it other than the first half of the film's pace being crazy fast.

Edit- Friend texted me that he thought it ruined the franchise, this movies divisive as hell.

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Just got out. Fucking loved it. Loved the elements it introduced to the franchise, and the direction it seems to be heading. It really felt like something Crichton would have come up with had he done a third book, then adapted into a blockbuster. I'm really not getting all of the complaints, which seem way overblown now.

Gonna see it again on Sunday, I'll hold off on ranking it till then.

Ororo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fallen Kingdom is no worse than any of the sequels, TLW, JP///, JW and FK all have flaws and ruing the essence of the original. I can't think of anything that FK does that I don't like that wasn't done in the previous sequels.

I love JP and I love sequels to it but it's such a stand alone movie that any sequel will be flawed when compared to the original. Even with that in mind I prefer to have a sequel and more dino action than nothing.

JP > TLW=JP///=JW=FK
That's my ranking, all sequels are equal but all are inferior to the original. If you really want to force me to choose I guess I'd go like:

JP > JW > JP/// > FK > TLW

Oct 27, 2017
Just got into my car after seeing the film and reading the above and last page reactions during the credits.

I'm mixed. Liked it enough, but what I yearn for in Jurassic flicks is walking and talking in the jungle bits with dinos looming. Maybe it's the book scenes that instilled that in me or my younger mind filling in the blanks and expanding those scenes in the original movie, but I just want more of that.

Some of the nitpicks I've read are very easily explained by the film, like *late film spoiler*
the heart monitor beeping right on cue when there was a clear readjustment of the finger clip that triggered the machine
for instance.

CheeseConey

Oct 27, 2017
I would have not complained if there was another 10-15 minutes on the island.

Edit- Also loved the soundtrack, especially the Indoraptor's theme.

Oct 27, 2017
Now that I'm home, I'll expand a bit.

It definitely moved at a clip and I would prefer some slower, intimate moments that aren't in bars, labs and bedrooms. An extended trek to find Blue to get to know the crew would have been welcome.

They being on board that boat gave me Indiana Jones vibes, but I felt it needed more sleuthing and even exterior shots to establish the setting and predicament to enhance these moments.

The entire Uncharted 4-esque auction stuff just felt like Hollywood tropyness and needed more of a scientific bend. Not villainy villains twirling their fingers with dollar signs in their eyes or bloodthirsty buyers seeing evildoer war potential. Hell, it could have just been a genuine effort to save the animals but a single evildoer warmonger group infiltrates and sets off the final act.... thanks to Wu who secretly created the Indoraptor and Hoskins leaking that info (pre-death) to his cronies who found out dinos are now off the island. Hell, maybe Buffalo Bill was said crony. But now I'm entering fan-fic territory.

So many callbacks to the first two, it's not even funny... or actually it was funny to me.

That post credit scene.......................................

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I'm actually more surprised at the negative reception. I mean, I can see some of the complaints some could have. But I really didn't feel there was anything here all that bad. Surely nothing worse than what's JW did. About the biggest issue was

why didn't they just shoot Claire and owen lol. Movie could've been done if they had just did that

But everything else I felt fit well. The series has been needing to move off the island and into new territory and this essentially did what I had talked about ages ago. I can't wait to see what they do next.

Also I will add. That opening is so fucking good. I wish we could have a whole movie like that. I'm gonna see it a few more times to see where it sits. But this might easily be my second favorite in the series.

OP
OP
DemonCarnotaur

DemonCarnotaur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I don't like the The Last Jedi, but I feel like it's a competent film overall - just not one that resonates with me, for a multitude of complex reasons.

While JA Bayona's abilities really shine during this movie, I don't think it's very good at all.

But agreed. Love or hate the film, at least people aren't going to abuse the cast or filmmakers or cook up wild conspiracy theories. The only thing I really want are some new seasoned scriptwriters to better execute Colin Trevorrows ideas.

Side note: for those who liked Fallen Kingdom, is your primary draw to Jurassic just dino action, and are the dinosaurs just parables for monsters in your mind? If so, I can see why you'd like this film - it's not great, but it delivers in that sense.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I don't like the The Last Jedi, but I feel like it's a competent film overall - just not one that resonates with me, for a multitude of complex reasons.

While JA Bayona's abilities really shine during this movie, I don't think it's very good at all.

But agreed. Love or hate the film, at least people aren't going to abuse the cast or filmmakers or cook up wild conspiracy theories. The only thing I really want are some new seasoned scriptwriters to better execute Colin Trevorrows ideas.

Side note: for those who liked Fallen Kingdom, is your primary draw to Jurassic just dino action, and are the dinosaurs just parables for monsters in your mind? If so, I can see why you'd like this film - it's not great, but it delivers in that sense.

I definitely think that's a factor. I've said before at this point. These things aren't necessarily dinosaurs per se. Once you incorporate the cloning and genetic angle heavily. You were gonna start getting into like Resident Evil territory. I fully watched and enjoyed the film as a creature feature. However, that's how I've essentially enjoyed dinosaurs even as a kid.

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, look at the reviews alone.

The Last Jedi the movie definitely is not.

Oh don't get me wrong, it's no critical darling like TLJ. But from what I've seen here and elsewhere, it's been splitting the fan community pretty evenly.

That's the thing, only certain dinos have been used as parables for monsters in all of these movies and I've always found the nature vs nurture argument satisfactory. Owen was pretty explicit about it in the last film, and Wu was basically shouting it at the audience in this film. There was plenty of the rose tinted Hammond view of dinos, but this film went heavier on the Muldoon/Malcolm/Grant realist view and maybe that's a turn off?

Oct 27, 2017
Opening scene is amazing and the film needed more of that with the main crew. Even that compy in the window scene from the trailer had me anticipating some great ruined park adventure action and all it was was just a scene.

CheeseConey

Oct 27, 2017

Maybe people were looking for something else but I thought it was really entertaining, more so than the first Jurassic World. I felt it did everything it needed to do to push the franchise in a different direction. The writing could have been better, but I think the direction and action was enough to keep me glued to the screen, I was never bored during this movie. I know I'm still in a hyped state right now and maybe my opinion will change over the next few months but I'm really struggling to find many issues with it. It fully embraced the silliness/fun of Jurassic World and it just worked for me. Im actually looking forward to the sequel, can't wait to see where they go with it.

OP
OP
DemonCarnotaur

DemonCarnotaur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
If you all want a version of Dr. Wu that isn't 1-dimensional and evil, plus some references to Sorna - pick up the new novel, The Evolution of Claire. It's not perfect, but it takes place on Nublar in 2004 right before the park opens, and it goes into some very interesting lore.

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Apparently it's glanced over. But Site B dinosaurs had been diminishing and were later all corralled up and taken to Jurassic World.

I legit was wondering the entire movie why no one brought up site B lol

Apparently the Evolution of Claire novel will be addressing the fate of Isla Sorna.

If you all want a version of Dr. Wu that isn't 1-dimensional and evil, plus some references to Sorna - pick up the new novel, The Evolution of Claire. It's not perfect, but it takes place on Nublar in 2004 right before the park opens, and it goes into some very interesting lore.

Oh cool, more Wu is always good. I did find it hilarious how he was basically dragged out of this movie.

CheeseConey

Oct 27, 2017
After sleeping on it I still feel the same way, can't wait to see it again. I want more of this insane shit in the next one, bring it on.

CheeseConey

Oct 27, 2017
Got my first Wave 2 figure from Amazon today, like it more than I thought I would. This line continues to be great.

6UzNnwph.jpg

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017

They should make a TV series about how they brought Jurassic Park back and make it full operational. That would be an interesting show.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Got my first Wave 2 figure from Amazon today, like it more than I thought I would. This line continues to be great.

6UzNnwph.jpg

I couldn't even find a page for it. Shopping for JW stuff on Amazon sucks. 3rd party toy sellers LOVE setting prices to "scalp". Even the Ceratosaurs is $34.99 instead of $14.99 -_- The hunt continues... (I miss TRU as another option...)

CheeseConey

Oct 27, 2017
I couldn't even find a page for it. Shopping for JW stuff on Amazon sucks. 3rd party toy sellers LOVE setting prices to "scalp". Even the Ceratosaurs is $34.99 instead of $14.99 -_- The hunt continues... (I miss TRU as another option...)

I feel ya about Amazon, I wish I could get most of the figures on there but the majority of the time they are sold out/3rd party. Someone on JPtoys posted the link to the Suchomimus right when it went up for sale, so I got lucky.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
Sounds more interesting as everything since the Reboot together

Yeah, there's so much potential. Like season one will be about company politics and recovery operation of the dinosaurs. Then you can build on it and work from tons of angles like corporate espionage on cutting edge technology. How to keep dinosaurs alive in a zoo environments. Animals breaking out (at least in minor least destructive scenarios). The secret projects. Building the Indominus rex.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Looking at the opening and the upcoming competition. Jurassic World really should've opened worldwide on June 6. Could've had like 3 weeks at number one until Incredible if it had done it. Along with a bigger opening. It definitely won't hold as strong as the first. Even with the summer ticket sales on weekdays.

500 million domestic is probably the high end for it.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Looking at the opening and the upcoming competition. Jurassic World really should've opened worldwide on June 6. Could've had like 3 weeks at number one until Incredible if it had done it. Along with a bigger opening. It definitely won't hold as strong as the first. Even with the summer ticket sales on weekdays.

500 million domestic is probably the high end for it.

But but Solo competition... My theater down the street's been packed all weekend. Between that and Incredibles, yeah it's a big weekend!

Oct 25, 2017
I just saw the film and thought it was so awful that it made Jurassic Park 3 look a lot better in retrospect.

There are so many nonsensical character and plot decisions in this movie and to a lessor extent the last Jurassic World movie.

Oct 27, 2017
I kind of want an Owen origin story where he's raised by raptors as a kid, Mowgli style, and we get talking raptors a la The Jungle Book where it's just an English translation of the law of the jungle.

After several years, he's found by InGen on one of the islands, they tweak his mind to forget his experience, he joins the military years later and then nu-InGen finds him in their database and realizes he may be able to perform their raptor controlling war application.