• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

The Driver

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I agree, I got zero interest atm in JW3 but I can say at least FK didn't fuck up Malcolm so even if the movie is trash I doubt they will have old man Alan and Ellie running from dinosaurs again.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
I agree, I got zero interest atm in JW3 but I can say at least FK didn't fuck up Malcolm so even if the movie is trash I doubt they will have old man Alan and Ellie running from dinosaurs again.
I'm not so sure to be honest. Trevorrow wields the nostalgia hammer with all the deftness of Star Wars kid and IIRC having the JP gang back for JW3 is something Universal wants. I think Ian being completely shoehorned into FK is more of a deliberate tease, and I don't really want to know what Trevorrow will do with those characters when he has more than 2 minutes and some Crichton dialogue to repurpose.

The Driver

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hey at least you know Trevorrow will give the people what they want and the old JP crew won't show up only to DIE like another franchise muahahah.

They'll probably get to ride dinosaurs or give commands to Blue to boot.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Realistically, I think the best way for the dinos to go out is to die of disease. It makes sense. Like, they will rampage for a bit, but after being isolated on an island for so long? Now they are being exposed to tons of lifeforms and a non-tropical environment. I wouldn't be surprised if they catch dino small pox or something, and naturally die out.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I don't see any problem with Jurassic World Series playing with nostalgia. Other recent franchise revivals do it. It's a nice bit of extra fun for the community.

Seeing Grant, Alan, and Ellie even if it's just them at a coffee shop would be pretty cool.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Realistically, I think the best way for the dinos to go out is to die of disease. It makes sense. Like, they will rampage for a bit, but after being isolated on an island for so long? Now they are being exposed to tons of lifeforms and a non-tropical environment. I wouldn't be surprised if they catch dino small pox or something, and naturally die out.
This was sort of an element of the Lost World novel.

Would also be thematically fitting, and a nice homage to War of the Worlds.

Edit: also -
"Like I said, there's this other book
by a guy named Bakker and he says dinosaurs died of a bunch of diseases. He definitely didn't say they turned into birds. And his book was a lot fatter than yours. It was like, like this."

lol

Last edited:

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
What is wrong with people? Creating a petition to remove Colin as director for JW3. Ugh.

Sometimes I hate internet.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
But the point of Jurassic Park was that Hammond was wrong.

:P

What is wrong with people? Creating a petition to remove Colin as director for JW3. Ugh.

Sometimes I hate internet.
I'm not going to make or sign a petition, because that's as petty as it is pointless, but I understand the sentiment. He's a mediocre director, incompetent writer, and kind of a shit person.

Oct 27, 2017
Alan to Owen: "You allowed that girl to let those dinosaurs loose?! These are species separated by millions of years we're talking about! You're no better than the people who built that park!"

Owen: "Just look at this footage. My Blue is out there. I need your help tracking her as I hear you have a one of a kind resonating chamber..."

Alan: "...what species is this?"

Owen: "That's... uh... a velociraptor."

*familiar ringtone interrupts*

"Kirby speaking... Oh hi, Eric. How's your mother?" *audible screech through phone*

Grant: "Please excuse the renovations, this is Paul Kirby, he's my personal maintenance guy. He owed me a favor..."

*Kirby nods as he walks past* "I'm sorry, there's something lodged in the speaker, I'm having a hard time hearing you."
*Shakes dried Spino droppings out of phone*

"That's one big pile of shit" *studio audience cheers*

*Ian Malcolm standing in the doorway, removes his sunglasses while chomping on gum*

Alan: "Ian! It's nice to see you! Can I offer you a cup of water?" * he motions to Claire, camera zooms to her knuckles*

Ian: "rawrha harhuh"

*Title sequence*

Last edited:

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Decided to flex my AMC Alist and watched this movie when I wouldn't have had otherwise.

Wow. Every character in this movie is a blinking idiot. Yet somehow the ending intrigued me as to how batshit insane and inane they want to take it. It's like some crazy shit from a 1950's sci-fi, like someone wanted to take the theme of these movies to their idea of a logical conclusion, except that that person is a raving madman to begin with.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
The movies would be a lot better if they ditched the whole " oh shit, something went wrong because someone was an idiot" pitch and instead just went with Adventures on Dinosaur Islands, have some compelling characters and some good effects and mystery and action, it worked for Kong: Skull Island and Jumanji, we don't expect great story telling, we just want something exciting and fun to watch.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Man who's this "we", because I sure as hell do expect great story telling, and something a helluva lot better than/different from Skull Island and Jumanji, lol

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I mean, at the state we're at with the world movies, and even 2 and 3 weren't that great in story telling, we want great story telling but at this point I don't expect it anymore. If you know what I mean. We need a complete reboot of anything past the first Jurassic Park with some good director and writer if we wanna expect great story telling I think.

As for Skull Island, sure there was barely any story but it knew exactly what it was and didn't take itself seriously and it's what made the movie so enjoyable, it also had some very nice visual direction. I wish the Jurassic Park movies would loosen up and had fun instead of the whole corporate greed and trying to get a message over.

OP
OP
DemonCarnotaur

DemonCarnotaur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
As much as I love the idea of a volcanic eruption threatening the island and animals, it felt haplessly under-cooked and tacked on in Fallen Kingdom. I fully believe the movie would have been better and more focused without it.

Same premise:

Three years after the fall of Jurassic World, the bio-ethical debate rages on for what to do with the dinosaurs, the islands, and the tech that allowed this to happen. Meanwhile, Isla Nublar has become a popular spot for illegal poaching, and while the waters outside are patrolled by Costa Rica authorities, rumors of animal trafficking echo abroad.

While Owen has turned his back on Jurassic World, Claire and the 'Dinosaur Protection Group' are determined to secure the islands and animals future by establishing Nublar and Sorna as fully operational and protected sanctuaries, keeping the animals safe and people away. When approached by Eli Mills, a representative of Benjamin Lockwood's estate, this dream may become a reality, as they plan to buy the island from Masrani Global, and protect it privately. Claire has her reservations, as she has been lobbying for the island to be protected as state owned land on a government level, but this seems to be the one shot at saving the dinosaurs from poaching and potential sanctioned euthanization.

As their efforts to gain ownership of the land gain momentum, they learn of a disturbing rumor: animal traffickers are on Isla Nublar, and are looking for Blue. This is not the first time the unique Velociraptor has been searched for, and won't be the last. After some debate and convincing, Owen Grady decides to return to the island, track and capture Blue, and release her on Isla Sorna with the wild raptor populations on the island. As Sorna is larger and more naturally protected than Nublar, she has a better shot of survival and happiness, among more of her kind.

However, things are not as they seem, and as Owen successfully tracks down Blue, it's discovered the intel was shared directly by the traffickers, who needed Owen's unwitting help to find the elusive Velociraptor. Chaos ensues, and soon the heroes find themselves on a journey to the mainland with captured dinosaurs ready for auction, as even darker secrets come to light.

---------

So essentially, the same film, without the giant baggage of a disaster film and volcanic eruption sequence that feels massively out of place.

The Driver

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
As much as I love the idea of a volcanic eruption threatening the island and animals, it felt haplessly under-cooked and tacked on in Fallen Kingdom. I fully believe the movie would have been better and more focused without it.

Same premise:

Three years after the fall of Jurassic World, the bio-ethical debate rages on for what to do with the dinosaurs, the islands, and the tech that allowed this to happen. Meanwhile, Isla Nublar has become a popular spot for illegal poaching, and while the waters outside are patrolled by Costa Rica authorities, rumors of animal trafficking echo abroad.

While Owen has turned his back on Jurassic World, Claire and the 'Dinosaur Protection Group' are determined to secure the islands and animals future by establishing Nublar and Sorna as fully operational and protected sanctuaries, keeping the animals safe and people away. When approached by Eli Mills, a representative of Benjamin Lockwood's estate, this dream may become a reality, as they plan to buy the island from Masrani Global, and protect it privately. Claire has her reservations, as she has been lobbying for the island to be protected as state owned land on a government level, but this seems to be the one shot at saving the dinosaurs from poaching and potential sanctioned euthanization.

As their efforts to gain ownership of the land gain momentum, they learn of a disturbing rumor: animal traffickers are on Isla Nublar, and are looking for Blue. This is not the first time the unique Velociraptor has been searched for, and won't be the last. After some debate and convincing, Owen Grady decides to return to the island, track and capture Blue, and release her on Isla Sorna with the wild raptor populations on the island. As Sorna is larger and more naturally protected than Nublar, she has a better shot of survival and happiness, among more of her kind.

However, things are not as they seem, and as Owen successfully tracks down Blue, it's discovered the intel was shared directly by the traffickers, who needed Owen's unwitting help to find the elusive Velociraptor. Chaos ensues, and soon the heroes find themselves on a journey to the mainland with captured dinosaurs ready for auction, as even darker secrets come to light.

---------

So essentially, the same film, without the giant baggage of a disaster film and volcanic eruption sequence that feels massively out of place.
I luv it.

I definitely don't understand the complete neglecting of Isla Sorna the new movies are doing. They could do a lot with the other island but I don't even know if the general pop knows there are two islands in the series tbh.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Little kid (<8 years) at Target today, talking about a backpack: "This says Jurassic World, but I want it to say Jurassic Park..."
His dad: "Actually, they're the same thing, buddy."
Kid: [silence]

Don't worry kid, I get you.

Deleted member 35011

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Oh my god just saw the movie today. It was the dumbest fucking thing haha. I loved it, don't get me wrong, but this was even more of a "turn off my brain" movie than the first one.

"Behold! I'll mark someone with a laser gun and then the dinosaur will attack them!"
"But...if you can mark someone with that laser gun couldn't you like, just shoot them? Isn't the dinosaur just an unecessary middle man at this point?"

"THESE DINOSAURS ARE THE PERFECT WEAPONS even though they seem super vulnerable to bullets right now."

"Dinosaurs could take over the planet from us now, because of reasons not quite explained."

"Dinosaurs being free is an issue now, even though the underwater one has been free for years and presumably only decided to actually get near humans now because he's susceptible to peer pressure and saw that all the other cool dinosaurs are doing it."

I had a huge smile on my face watching the entire movie, Chris Pratt is awesome to watch, Blue is like the Daniel Bryan of tiny dinosaurs, and everything was just fun to watch. The movie was absolutely insane and runs on like kid logic which is both its main issue and its top asset. Dumb as fuck movie, 10/10, would watch again.

EdReedFan20

Oct 25, 2017
When the current trilogy ends, would anyone like to see a reboot of sorts of the series where they do the original again, but make it much closer to the book? Characters would be more like their literary counterparts. Characters that were cut from the original movie would appear. It wouldn't be the first time a book has multiple adaptations of it and wouldn't be the last. Just because the first movie is considered so iconic, it doesn't mean they can never try to adapt the original book again.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Little kid (<8 years) at Target today, talking about a backpack: "This says Jurassic World, but I want it to say Jurassic Park..."
His dad: "Actually, they're the same thing, buddy."
Kid: [silence]

Don't worry kid, I get you.

Haha, indeed. That kid gets it.

Oh my god just saw the movie today. It was the dumbest fucking thing haha. I loved it, don't get me wrong, but this was even more of a "turn off my brain" movie than the first one.

"Behold! I'll mark someone with a laser gun and then the dinosaur will attack them!"
"But...if you can mark someone with that laser gun couldn't you like, just shoot them? Isn't the dinosaur just an unecessary middle man at this point?"

"THESE DINOSAURS ARE THE PERFECT WEAPONS even though they seem super vulnerable to bullets right now."

"Dinosaurs could take over the planet from us now, because of reasons not quite explained."

"Dinosaurs being free is an issue now, even though the underwater one has been free for years and presumably only decided to actually get near humans now because he's susceptible to peer pressure and saw that all the other cool dinosaurs are doing it."

I had a huge smile on my face watching the entire movie, Chris Pratt is awesome to watch, Blue is like the Daniel Bryan of tiny dinosaurs, and everything was just fun to watch. The movie was absolutely insane and runs on like kid logic which is both its main issue and its top asset. Dumb as fuck movie, 10/10, would watch again.

The laser pointer is even more dumb because dinosaurs will attack and eat anyone without being told to, just let them loose. The only thing you need is something to make them not attack *you*.

Deleted member 10060

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Reading the evolution of claire now and...eh, kinda wish it read more lik a Jurassic World novel and less like an empowering YA novel for young girls. Not that there's anything wrong with YA, but I'm almost 40, and I want a good story, not "an introduction to feminism".

Amalthea

Dec 22, 2017
I think the book could have been all of this at once if it cut a some of the mundane stuff and leaned harder into THAT mystery and building a more overall strong level of suspense instead of describing everytime how they go to the dining room to eat or having to watch eggs or shoveling shit.

GAMEPROFF

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
When the current trilogy ends, would anyone like to see a reboot of sorts of the series where they do the original again, but make it much closer to the book? Characters would be more like their literary counterparts. Characters that were cut from the original movie would appear. It wouldn't be the first time a book has multiple adaptations of it and wouldn't be the last. Just because the first movie is considered so iconic, it doesn't mean they can never try to adapt the original book again.
Like I once suggested, make it to a TV show with a really big budget.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I loved the first movie and I rewatched it yesterday but after reading the first book I realized how great every character is in that book and that the movie barely explains who Gerrano and Malcom are or why they're there, I also loved all the science and biology talk and that it's more of a big adventure throughout the big part of the park which could have been fine if they didn't touch the timeline and didn't switch up events. Makes me wish we would have gotten Jurassic World instead of West World.

EdReedFan20

Oct 25, 2017
I loved the first movie and I rewatched it yesterday but after reading the first book I realized how great every character is in that book and that the movie barely explains who Gerrano and Malcom are or why they're there, I also loved all the science and biology talk and that it's more of a big adventure throughout the big part of the park which could have been fine if they didn't touch the timeline and didn't switch up events. Makes me wish we would have gotten Jurassic World instead of West World.

From what I understand, Gennaro is actually a more likeable character in the book. The movie mashes him and another character Ed Regis (InGen PR) together. I have yet to read the book, but I know that the opening moments has Ed bringing a dying victim of a raptor attack to a doctor. Ed says its an industrial accident (run over by a backhoe), but the doctor knows the victim was attacked by an animal.

Last edited:

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
From what I understand, Gennaro is actually a more likeable character in the book. The movie mashes him and another character Ed Regis (InGen PR) together. I have yet to read the book, but I know that the opening moments has Ed bringing a dying victim of a raptor attack to a doctor. Ed says its an industrial accident (run over by a backhoe), but the doctor knows the victim was attacked by an animal.

He's a cooperate dude but he's written as an actual human being instead of the cartoony employee of Evil Corp like the World movies, he also doesn't die 10 minutes in and doesn't spent his final moment on a toilet.

And yeah, the book starts not with Hammond visiting Grand and Ellie and inviting them for jolly park times, everyone goes to that park because compy's got to the mainland somehow and were attacking sleeping children and infants and it needed a security check. A park worker also got brutally attacked and got transported to a clinic off Island. It's way more gruesome than the movie.

EdReedFan20

Oct 25, 2017
He's a cooperate dude but he's written as an actual human being instead of the cartoony employee of Evil Corp like the World movies, he also doesn't die 10 minutes in and doesn't spent his final moment on a toilet.

And yeah, the book starts not with Hammond visiting Grand and Ellie and inviting them for jolly park times, everyone goes to that park because compy's got to the mainland somehow and were attacking sleeping children and infants and it needed a security check. A park worker also got brutally attacked and got transported to a clinic off Island. It's way more gruesome than the movie.

It would've been a neat scene to have had, but I assume InGen is much less "nice" place. I know Hammond is not warm and kind like in the movie, but rather a real pompous jerk.

Also, I just went ahead and bought Jurassic Park and The Lost World for my Kindle app and got the Audible narration with it (you get a nice Audible audibook discount when you have the Kindle version of a book).

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
It would've been a neat scene to have had, but I assume InGen is much less "nice" place. I know Hammond is not warm and kind like in the movie, but rather a real pompous jerk.

Also, I just went ahead and bought Jurassic Park and The Lost World for my Kindle app and got the Audible narration with it (you get a nice Audible audibook discount when you have the Kindle version of a book).

I'm almost done with the first book and can't wait to dive in the the second, the first one is is such a fantastic read though, couldn't put it down.

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
this brings a smile to my heart.

Fg9ORFW.png

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island

The Driver

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I want that.

The other stuff is super weird though.
Hmmm I guess if you don't wear tech/street wear too often it's definitely the kind of pieces that can look like they are wearing you instead of the other way around.

Personally, I like almost the whole collection which is weird because I don't really like modern clothing with loud branding. This stuff is pretty inventive with the placement and colors though and idk I guess I've seen 10 billion classic JP logo on black tees that this feels like fresh air haha.

Last edited:

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Hmmm I guess if you don't wear tech/street wear too often it's definitely the kind of pieces that can look like they are wearing you instead of the other way around.

Personally, I like almost the whole collection which is weird because I don't really like modern clothing with loud branding. This stuff is pretty inventive with the placement and colors though and idk I guess I've seen 10 billion classic JP logo on black tees that this feels like fresh air haha.

It's more like the random arrangement, The jurassic park logo, some random word like DROP DEAD like it's from The Walking dead and, some random geometry and on the back a random photo from the movie. It's like a Nickalodeon jacket but with Jurassic Park on it.

If anyone is interested:

I got the regular Bluray version since I don't have a 4K TV yet, amazing deal. First one looks great in Bluray, although the non Animatronics dinosaur scenes like the first brachiosaur scene stands out like a sour thumb.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
So what the hell is going on with the second wave of legacy toys? I want my Ian and Spino.

We know that at least a couple showed up on Amazon by third parties (how these random toy sellers get ahold of things things weeks and weeks before big chain like Target, I'll never know :x)

Still seen nothing in stores... just more W1 replenishments.

tata toothy

Dec 24, 2017
What's the deal with Vince Vaughn surviving in The Lost World? He's basically responsible for getting everyone killed and barely does anything in the last half of the movie anyway. Seems like that jackass should have got what's coming to him.