• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I would love a separate topic created for all this (probably wont happen), but this just seems pretty off topic at this point.

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You can say there were people who didn't like the mod team... But it imploded because the owner shut the site down and started mass wiping discission about himself.

Conflating upset at mod decisions with that mass exodus is revisionist history. They were separate issues.

They were not completely separate. I was glued to that Discord in those days when GAF was down before ERA came up and the general sentiment I remember was that almost no one wanted the old mods to carry over to ERA and that the moderation practices needed a huge overhaul with a focus on transparency and fairness.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
You guys are crazy if you don't think extremely over the top moderation wasn't a huge part of the issue at GAF.

Evilore's shitty behavior toward women (and people in general) had been posted about for years and those posts and whole accounts would get nuked before it could spread. It was only when a story got so big and out of control that Evilore and the mods couldn't keep shut it down fast enough did the site implode.

I literally saw a user call Evilore out for some problematic posts and within minutes Evilore's posts, that user's posts and their entire account were gone from the board.

And that was on EvilLore himself. I'm pretty sure we've had old mods basically confirm he did whatever he wanted including blatantly breaking the rules of his own site for really petty reasons.

Gestahl

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
You guys are crazy if you don't think extremely over the top moderation wasn't a huge part of the issue at GAF.

Evilore's shitty behavior toward women (and people in general) had been posted about for years and those posts and whole accounts would get nuked before it could spread. It was only when a story got so big and out of control that Evilore and the mods couldn't keep shut it down fast enough did the site implode.

I literally saw a user call Evilore out for some problematic posts and within minutes Evilore's posts, that user's posts and their entire account were gone from the board.
Evilore's Europe vacation thread of ass groping fun was half a decade before the site imploded, yeah. I think my favorite moment though was when he was bizarrely obsessive over whether some Muslim kid made a clock or not

Oct 25, 2017

There is no Evilore here. The forum is owned and run by a team of people to prevent that from happening.

The mod whining here has very little merit. I say that as someone who has been banned like four times for being a dick.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
And that was on EvilLore himself. I'm pretty sure we've had old mods basically confirm he did whatever he wanted including blatantly breaking the rules of his own site for really petty reasons.
Nah, he couldn't be everywhere at once. There were definitely mods helping/alerting him to shit. Certain stuff would get taken down near instantly. Pretty sure we had confirmation of that too?

E: apologies Bronson

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017

I'll just say a lot got blamed on the "mod team" at the old place.

I was never very active as a mod, so I'm more a casual observer who saw behind the curtain

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Also going to point out that early on in this forums life we had drama about the issue of moderation but coming from the exact other end of the spectrum. It wasn't harsh or swift enough and let a lot of shit sneak in that really offended a lot of posters causing some of them to leave after making a stink about it. The moderation on this site is never gonna please everyone and its no doubt going to be shifting one way or another for the duration of its life.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
Anyway, this story is nuts. He should lose his career (and will). Not sure he should go to jail or not. Seems being a laughing stock is sufficient.

Verano

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I come back and some how gaf is involved in the discussion lol..
There's a time and place to discuss those matters but for this thread...I just wanna read updates on the jussie case at hand

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
kBSLqOU.png

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
This dude should just admit it already. Take responsibility admit you fucked up, apologise and try making amends.
That'd be the end of him as a public figure, and he'll apparently do anything to be a public figure in order to do this thing in the first place. He'd probably be fired from empire within hours of that apology instead of still working there like he is now.

Has there ever been a case where apologizing for something like this lead to more people's forgiveness than there are skeptics turned to haters? The incentives aren't there for it, and maybe that's a problem.

Thurston Last

Banned
Jul 26, 2018
That'd be the end of him as a public figure, and he'll apparently do anything to be a public figure in order to do this thing in the first place. He'd probably be fired from empire within hours of that apology instead of still working there like he is now.

Has there ever been a case where apologizing for something like this lead to more people's forgiveness than there are skeptics turned to haters? The incentives aren't there for it, and maybe that's a problem.

Realistically no. Everyone says they want an apology, but as soon as it comes the comments will be:

"Too little too late"
"doesn't change anything"
"Apology wasn't good enough"
"I don't think he meant it..."

Etc...

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017

Even if there were examples, this is one where apologies aren't going to amount to people shifting their views on him. What he did angered everyone for different reasons no matter where they're politically. Democrats despise him for trivializing a very serious issue in hate crimes against minorities and people in the LGBT community. And Republicans despise him for making up a story and trying to pin it on them.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
he send a letter using US post with white powder in it ... that's serious shit. I find it very unlikely they wouldn't pursue the case.
Oh I know. But prosecutors don't go after every single infraction. He has a hotshot lawyer so he may be able to negotiate something if that is pinned on him.

requiem

Dec 3, 2017
I can't believe he's doubling (tripling?) down on this insanity. You guys are right in saying an apology isn't going to really help him, but it's going to be a hell of a lot better than maintaining his innocence right up to the moment the State and the Feds drop a nuke on him in court.

Own up to it and plead guilty. Idiot.

Drey1082

Oct 27, 2017
I can't believe he's doubling (tripling?) down on this insanity. You guys are right in saying an apology isn't going to really help him, but it's going to be a hell of a lot better than maintaining his innocence right up to the moment the State and the Feds drop a nuke on him in court.

Own up to it and plead guilty. Idiot.

He's got a high profile lawyer who will probably be able to get his sentence reduced so he's going to keep this going. You can tell by his statement they're already trying to attack the leaks and other issues within the Chicago Police Department.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Really shitty that Empire and fox are just carrying on as if nothing happened and he's already back on set.

Im sure their legal team is advising them on what to do. He was literally just charged today. I know it's obvious to everyone and their momma that he's guilty as shit, but they have to tread lightly as his employers.

CDX

Oct 25, 2017
Im sure their legal team is advising them on what to do. He was literally just charged today. I know it's obvious to everyone and their momma that he's guilty as shit, but they have to tread lightly as his employers.

I wonder if he gets charged for the letter if that would make a difference for FOX.

What he's currently being charged with happened outside of work and he's claiming his innocence, and no court verdict has been reached yet.

However, the letter was sent to his workplace, so he'd be facing charges for something that happened directly at his place of employment.

Opto

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Damn, he asked cops to turn off their body cams? You could originally see that as a case of him not wanting the video to be leaked depicting his condition, but now in retrospect that's so fucked up.

Fuck him for this deception and abuse of people's good will.

Status
Not open for further replies.