• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rvaan

Oct 25, 2017

Charles! That man has a family!
If he doesn't end up in prison, then I at least hope he spends the rest of his life under constant mockery and disdain from his communities.

I feel bad for his sister, though, she should probably just change her name before Birds of Prey comes out.
I cannot wait to see who will be the first person to ask her about him on the press tour; because you know someone is going to do it.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Won't be popular opinion but people on here are obsessed with this story as well. Sure it's interesting but the way your are all salivating over every detail is bizarre.

It probably ties together with the fact that the right is obsessed with it as well.
That seems odd to me. Ignoring major stories because they don't support one's political side is a really fucked up way to live your life. It's a major story and an interesting one. Why shouldn't people be interested in it? It raised a number of important issues, both in society and on Era:
Hate crimes and people disbelieving them in general
The potential for hoaxes (however rare they may be)
C/D list Hollywood finances
Era moderation/dogpiling
The mountain of evidence that can be accumulated when you combine a massive investigation with one of the worst criminal minds seen in years.
The legitimately fucked up actions of the CPD (not in this case, but in several other notable cases)
The way in which people jump on stories for propaganda value.
People jumping to conclusions early to confirm their biases (Trevor Noah's video)

Shutting down all of that because people on the other side of the political spectrum are interested in the story is ridiculous. People who support Trump also drink water, breath air, wear clothes, and watch Game of Thrones. I'm not going to stop doing those just to distance myself from them.

No way he lasts if this is even remotely true.

I don't think it moves the needle really. I'm sure his final days on set would have been more harmonious if he had come clean, but they're quickly writing him out of the show either way, I'm sure.

Kreed

The Negro Historian
Oct 25, 2017
So have the authorities mentioned whether or not the brothers even did anything illegal?

CPD have mostly praised the brothers for working with them against Smollett in statements. There is likely enough evidence that they could go after the brothers for working with Smollett if they really wanted to, but since all the brothers did damage wise was beat Smollett up and they are cooperating, it's probably just not worth the effort to the CPD vs going after Smollett.

Phonzo

Oct 26, 2017
It's almost as if you dont know the difference between the words "interest" and "obsession".
Era is as obsessed as any other outlet. People are not literally using that word to say that this story is constantly on their mind, and they cant eat or sleep without thinking about it. it is just a very interesting story that has captivated peoples attention for the time being.

You guys are too obsessed with the way people use the word obsessed.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Era is as obsessed as any other outlet. People are not literally using that word to say that this story is constantly on their mind, and they cant eat or sleep without thinking about it. it is just a very interesting story that has captivated peoples attention for the time being.

You guys are too obsessed with the way people use the word obsessed.
The poster called it bizarre and implied it's because we're all secretly rabid right-wingers. Do you agree with that take? It sounds like you don't as you say it's an interesting story.

Vilix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Breaking: CNN reporting Fox is removing Smollett 's character for the final two episodes of Empire.

Last edited:

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
to be expected, how he expected to just walk back on the set with all that evidence is crazy, not that I am surprised with how dumb he proved him self to be.

Dec 9, 2017
giphy.gif

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
After everything that was laid out yesterday, that he thought he could just look his friends/family/coworkers dead in the eye and be like "i didn't do it" is some true sociopath shit.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
After everything that was laid out yesterday, that he thought he could just look his friends/family/coworkers dead in the eye and be like "i didn't do it" is some true sociopath shit.
Maybe lawyerly advice? Still seems like a bad strategy. But I'm no Mark Geragos. He knows way more than me about criminal law and defending high profile cases.

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017
So Jussie's character will be in the mystery person in the casket they've teased all season then, got it.

No need to wonder how they write him off, it sure as hell didn't seem like he'd be the one dead, but now it's an easy fill.

Nov 1, 2017
So...in order for his plan to be successful, this had to get a ton of press coverage and outrage but not enough for the police to get involved? Yeah should have thought that through a bit more

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
So Jussie's character will be in the mystery person in the casket they've teased all season then, got it.

No need to wonder how they write him off, it sure as hell didn't seem like he'd be the one dead, but now it's an easy fill.

There was probably some truth to him being written off the show. This was his way to prevent it, but it only cemented it.

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017
There was probably some truth to him being written off the show. This was his way to prevent it, but it only cemented it.

I always assumed it would be one of the other brothers since both of them were basically doing super fucked up shit last season, the only way Smollet's character just up and dies right now is like the good ol soap opera sudden death by car/gun/stabbing/etc or actually contracts and dies of full blown AIDS from his partner, but they've been making an effort to highlight that people who are HIV positive aren't sentenced to death all season so idk.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Whoever it was before is like "WHEW".

They should literally just put a stock photo of him in the casket for the reveal.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
So...in order for his plan to be successful, this had to get a ton of press coverage and outrage but not enough for the police to get involved? Yeah should have thought that through a bit more
The fact that he thought that there will be no thorough investigation, in a city like Chicago, with a high profile and politically charged alleged hate crime, shows the guy is just not smart.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
I don't watch the show but I can't imagine it being anything other than anticlimactic. You've got actors who don't want to be in the same room together, a sociopath who's not really in the mood, writers who have to create a justification for his exit and the ripple effect it will have on other characters and plots.

I expect his character's exit to be ungraceful and clunky. Totally understandable at least, so don't bash the writers too hard!

jontin

User Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 29, 2017

I haven't seen Empire but it would be great if the plan was, and continues to be, someone other than Jussie's character in the coffin. Then in the 3rd to last ep have his character killed off-camera, anticlimactically lol.

OuterLimits

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
We're overwhelmingly progressive, and this forum is generalist, so of course it's a hot topic here. What this story has to do with conservatism is, again, beyond me.

But we all know why they're discussing it so much.

doesn't seem surprising to me that conservatives are constantly discussing it. Smollett blamed two Trump supporters for attacking him and shouting "this is MAGA country". It was a big story with the media, and celebrities/ politicians were talking about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.