• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 9838

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Has anyone else been OG permed on the other site way back when and came back as an honest and productive poster? Just wondering I apologise if this doesn't seem thread worthy....

Cream

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean I've already gotten banned a couple times for getting too heated but I think I'm doing ok

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
I like to think I'm more productive here, but I'm also more cynical in general so that's got to mean something.

I was only permed like a couple of months before the whole thing though.

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of perma-banned posters are back, including myself.

This is a new site, so everyone got a new beginning. It's easy to avoid getting banned, in my case it's just avoiding some controversial topics, I'm liking ERA a lot more than the old site so I'll keep it that way. I don't believe I deserved my old ban but that is old history by now.

I'd like to think that I'm a quality poster, and a lot of people seem to like me for whatever reason, so I'll stick around.

Last edited:

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When I was unjuniored:

Hi Krejlooc,

I just wanted to let you know that I've upgraded you to 'Member'. You are no longer a Junior Member anymore. That means you now have the ability to make threads.

You've proven to be a good poster with a long history on NeoGaf, and that's why I decided to make an exception for you.

Have a great week.

- Emily

Monogatari

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I made a comment the other day that would have surely got me banned on the old site. Here I got a warning and had a civil discussion with a mod about it.

Ouroboros

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I try to think before I post. I've caught myself and reframed from hitting the post button because my post would not contribute to the discussion. I was banned once at the old site for "drive by posting". So far so good over here.

Deleted member 25606

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I think the issue would be less "threadworthiness" and more that it's a violation of the lets not bring baggage from GAF policy.

And to answer I am sure the answer is yes even without examples, but more importantly it's brought life back to those that should not have been permed in the first place, but again other site baggage that's is best just to leave behind with the other site.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
I was permabanned several times on GAF, and I'm an honest but mediocre poster now.

OP
OP

Deleted member 9838

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I mean like kinda og permabanned *pre 2013* and then coming back to gaf and maybe having a few more until you learned how to behave and open minded?

You gotta give a little cred. As much as there were problems there always was a really good standrad of behavior and it could be learned by to be more mature in general.

T'Chakku

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I was perma banned in 2012 on GAF.
I think I've been ok here, so far.
I only shit post a little.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Ace Bandage. I remember you.
Back when rumours of the WiiU started coming out, I lurked gaming side everyday for every bit of news I could. Threads upon threads of speculation and you were at the forefront of the hype train.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nope, only time I got ever got banned on Gaf was a temp ban when I said the Disney Afternoon collection should have been announced for Switch as well. Apparently a mod had said "no more port-begging" but they hadn't updated the first post or topic title yet so I felt a little hard done by. I also wasn't port begging, just saying it was stupid to not be on the platform but whatever.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
GAF was completely cold-hearted with the bans. This place is about a thousand times more fair and - I don't wanna say less elitist - but I'm gonna say less elitist.

They very first time I got banned from NeoGaf, was because of a topic asking why NeoGaf was the most important gaming website on the internet. My response was that it wasn't, and that I considered sites like Gamasutra more important.

I got perma banned with a message saying, basically, that if the site wasn't so important to me, then I could take never coming back again.

The next (and last) time I was permabanned was for something not even related to the website at all. It was an argument with someone off the boards.

what isn't ban worthy here that makes it less elitist?

ResetEra seems way less eager to hand out perma bans. They'll ban you if you're being an idiot, but it seems temporary and they give you plenty of warnings. I say this from experience.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
I was banned a few times and it was due to political threads. If I disagreed about anything I would get dogpiled to the point I just gave up due to being overwhelmed. I'm doing my best to avoid certain topics. I'm sure I would get dogpiled here as well.

Chamaeleonx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As a Lurker I have seen plenty of names back that I saw getting perma banned on the old site. Often the reason was pretty mild as well and I didn't understand their reasoning.
The warnings help a lot more to actually teach people to take a second look at their opinions and what they wrote. Sometimes you just get heated and write something, leave your machine and then you are banned even if you realize what you wrote was pretty bad. Therefore I prefer this system over the others, even though ERA has a few problems as well in my opinion.

Still, glad that posters are back that have been banned on the other site.

Cats

Oct 27, 2017
I've never been in trouble for anything in my life, but I took a perm almost a decade ago for telling you know who to go you know where. I still do not feel like I was in the wrong on that one considering the subject matter.

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Nah I was banned a few times before but not a perm.

I wish some of the permabanned members would come back, like the dude who was obsessed with Natalie Portman lol

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
They very first time I got banned from NeoGaf, was because of a topic asking why NeoGaf was the most important gaming website on the internet. My response was that it wasn't, and that I considered sites like Gamasutra more important.

I got perma banned with a message saying, basically, that if the site wasn't so important to me, then I could take never coming back again.

The next (and last) time I was permabanned was for something not even related to the website at all. It was an argument with someone off the boards.

ResetEra seems way less eager to hand out perma bans. They'll ban you if you're being an idiot, but it seems temporary and they give you plenty of warnings. I say this from experience.

it's more lenient. but i would say the bans / warnings are still largely against the same things so i'm not sure how it could be less elitist, not that the things in question are elitist to start with

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
it's more lenient. but i would say the bans / warnings are still largely against the same things so i'm not sure how it could be less elitist, not that the things in question are elitist to start with

I feel confident that I could tell Daniel Ahmad that his site isn't god's gift to the internet without him banning me outright, though.

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
GAF was completely cold-hearted with the bans. This place is about a thousand times more fair and - I don't wanna say less elitist - but I'm gonna say less elitist.

I mean, from what I've seen moderation here is still a bit ridiculous. Some of the warnings are baffling. Still annoying rules about going even slightly off topic.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This has got to be an Evilore ban, seems entirely in character.

It definitely was. I actually met Evilore in person a couple of times in Austin. I told him about the ban once and he just laughed. I really did not like the guy. I always thought he was honestly one of the worst members on the site, and when he'd come into a topic he'd usually cause all sorts of anxiety among posters. I don't feel nearly the same way about the ownership of this site. In fact, I generally think those in positions of authority here were among the best posters on GAF.

Rembrandt

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was permed on the other site for my posts on the gaming side but it seems like the obvious sony bias has died down considerably on that side and the mods here haven't let their preference in system affect their modding yet like a few mods once did.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I requested a permaban on NeoGAF almost 2 years ago. I lost my shit in a thread about some tweet John Blow made that decried piracy. I really didn't appreciate how many people were hating on Blow for what was ultimately a pretty innocuous tweet, and I felt at the time that people were being way too charitable toward piracy and pirates. I'm a lot less loose with my posting habits now, I think.

Cerium

The Former
Oct 23, 2017
We appreciate the enthusiasm, y'all, but please remember our position on old baggage. I'm glad that the response to our approach to moderation has been so positive, but bans on other forums isn't really a productive topic for discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.