• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jayson's Rage

Oct 24, 2017
I've had to call out people I used to play with often cause they pull shit like this. Staying silent is staying complicit

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When my girlfriend made a gamertag that ends with "Girl", she didn't really know what she was going against. On the one hand, she met a lot of surprisingly polite people (the reasons are obvious, unfortunately), congratulating her every good move. On the other, she got tons of group invites, friend requests for doing nothing, and in some cases some pretty offensive calls. And she is only playing Rocket League online, basically, no other multiplayer game really matters to her. So yeah, I can mentally multiply that for a regular game who also, gasp, plays FPSs like in this video. I can only imagine. Siege has a very toxic community regardless of sex, I can imagine how bad it has to be with girls, considering the amount of votekicks, harassment, teamkills, etc. for the most futile reasons even on male (or not obviously girl) players.

N00MKRAD

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
User banned (1 Week): disregarding harassment suffered by women
I mean, without heavy moderation I don't think there is anything you can do against this.

Your best bet as a female player is to play along or "not feed the trolls".

Sir Guts

Use of alt account
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah especially in this game. Siege community is garbage unfortunately. But believe me not only women experience this, we all do. I'm not taking a way anything from this or saying it's okay, but if you think of it that's what we all face while playing online. I won't say people are shit because I met great people online and generalizing anything is wrong. When you meet the kind of these asshole report and mute them to have a good time. Small advice: Don't feed the trolls

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Been playing a lot of MP games this gen and for whatever reason, it really seems like the scum of the earth flock to Siege the most. Didn't expect that when I first started playing tbh. Now if I play with randoms, I just automatically put voice chat on mute for everyone.

PhazonBlonde

User requested ban
Banned
May 18, 2018
Somewhere deep in space
To everyone saying "don't feed the trolls " how the fuck is that possible when they start acting like this just after hearing a female voice? The only solution is to stay off the mic, which in certain games does impair gameplay.

How about instead we hold men to act like decent human beings? They only do this because other men don't call them out on their shit.

VeryHighlander

The Fallen
May 9, 2018
It's disturbing how they fixate on every single detail about her..it really is predatory behavior. Fucking losers

Bonfires Down

Nov 2, 2017
It's sad. The number of toxic idiots is probably pretty small overall, but it takes just a few of them before you want to throw your mic away.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah especially in this game. Siege community is garbage unfortunately. But believe me not only women experience this, we all do. I'm not taking a way anything from this or saying it's okay, but if you think of it that's what we all face while playing online. I won't say people are shit because I met great people online and generalizing anything is wrong. When you meet the kind of these asshole report and mute them to have a good time. Small advice: Don't feed the trolls

Nah it doesn't happen the same way and with the same intensity for everyone and no they are also not just trolls and no ignoring them is not actually the solution.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
"We're not being like this because you're a woman, we're being like this because you're shit".
*gets awarded MVP of the team*

Suburban Thug

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Midwest
Then let's get heavy moderation in then rather than this sexist, and also frequently racist, wild west shit.
There's no way to police speech on XBL/PSN. You are always going to run into toxic individuals regardless of your gender -- the best way to handle these situations is to mute, block, and report. If you engage these people they will consider it a win.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
It genuinely angers me to see this kind of stuff. It's one of the many reasons why I've mostly given up on any sort of multiplayer gaming.

Deleted member 2171

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Don't feed the trolls" aka "hide and bury your own identity to make gamerz feel more comfy while playing their game"

Nov 1, 2017
In fairness the Siege community is trash and treat each other like trash in game. I saw the first few seconds of video and knew exactly how it would go.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
There's no way to police speech on XBL/PSN. You are always going to run into toxic individuals regardless of your gender -- the best way to handle these situations is to mute, block, and report. If you engage these people they will consider it a win.

Ahh yes once again, regardless of your gender, the desire to universalize harassment of women so you can play it off as just part of life is spectacular.

Darklor01

Nov 2, 2017
To everyone saying "don't feed the trolls " how the fuck is that possible when they start acting like this just after hearing a female voice? The only solution is to stay off the mic, which in certain games does impair gameplay.

How about instead we hold men to act like decent human beings? They only do this because other men don't call them out on their shit.

Sadly, Internet anamnimity allows people the freedom to act like the worst versions of themselves, and in some cases, the most honest version of themselves for good or bad. We hold hope out for good fun conversation with good natured ribbing during play sessions. I can't imagine how it feels to lady gamers to have to suffer baseles attacks on their person when simply trying to enjoy a game online.

N00MKRAD

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

You act cool and counter whatever they say.
If it they fire back and it keeps going back and forth, ask calmly if they (teammates) want to win this game or bitch around.
If that still doesn't work, you can still mute the others.

Honestly, I think a lot of people shouting "kill yourself" would shut up if you'd just go ahead with something like "why don't you try it first?". Harsh, but there's no reason not to be harsh to people telling you to kys.

Ashdroid

Oct 27, 2017
wow, zero sexual comments? Did Anne not include those, or is the Seige community that tame?

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
No matter what game I play, disabling voice chat is the first thing I do, even as being a guy, even text chat is something I turn off very quickly.

Been playing a lot of MP games this gen and for whatever reason, it really seems like the scum of the earth flock to Siege the most. Didn't expect that when I first started playing tbh. Now if I play with randoms, I just automatically put voice chat on mute for everyone.

I don't think so, it just seems that way because alot of people say the game their playing attracts the most vile, it's probably a sum of something popular that attracts more people and it being competitive, it's the competitivity that brings out the worst and isn't even connected to just video games because there's a lot of aggression in sports as well. Mic up every soccer player and you'll get the same I think.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yuk that's disgusting. As a young (male) adult during my World of Warcraft days (2006-2010), I did countless voicechated PvE with girls, women, mothers, housewifes or single ladies without hearing a tiny fraction of this amount of garbage (I can't speak for them of course). Only creepy (or desperate) message while playing a female avatar.

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
Hire more people to handle abuse reports to actually hand out bans and then report the result of the investigation to the person who initiated the report. If people see their reports are actually doing something, they will continue to do them and perhaps more often. Taking away their vidyagames is the best way to counter immature assholes and change their behavior.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it's disgusting. I had to inform my girlfriend when making a PSN name that it didn't point to her being female.

And the fact I've to do that, is pathetic.

PhazonBlonde

User requested ban
Banned
May 18, 2018
Somewhere deep in space
If it they fire back and it keeps going back and forth, ask calmly if they (teammates) want to win this game or bitch around.

Honestly, I think a lot of people shouting "kill yourself" would shut up if you'd just go ahead with something like "why don't you try it first?". Harsh, but there's no reason not to be harsh to people telling you to kys.

Not everyone has this personality. Also it's literally the opposite of the other dudes opinions in this thread because it's literally feeding the trolls.

I do have this personality and your suggestion oesn't work 80% of the time when you're a woman. It also sometimes back fires and gets them making even more extreme misogynistic comments.

Unclebenny

Oct 28, 2017

If your first response to this is "it happens to all of us" then you are taking away from this. You're not helping, you are in fact, actively harming.

Yes, this kind of barely comprehensible nonsense insult dribble happens to lots of people but women get it all the time. They don't have to "do" anything to encounter it other than be recognizable as a woman.

That's the difference and by trying to minimise it as "just a thing that happens" you are empowering the idiots who do it. Try instead to call out anyone you hear doing it, so at least there is some resistance.

Also be supportive of any abused group who makes a point of how crappy their lot in the gaming space is.

lupianwolf

Oct 27, 2017
I remember watching a video about women who deal with this kind of BS. They all said that having other people call that shit out while they're playing would help. Of course on r/games that led to a bunch of men calling them dumb and that it wouldn't work.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Do you think women haven't actually tried doing what you suggested?
It's been useless.
Developers need to own up and take charge with better moderation and outright ban accounts who don't comply. Not just temporary suspensions or pretending there's no problem. Drive these people out.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
I once saw this myself when playing Left 4 Dead 2 with a friend of mine. This guy kept talking to her via text chat through the entire campaign, and it was a versus match, so essentially we played through the campaign twice.
No matter what I or she said to him, he wouldn't stop. Eventually he started to get aggressive in his comments, only to be completely crushed by her in-game every single time. This part was glorious, but it would all have been better if he'd never been a dickhead in the first place.

yungronny

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Have been playing with a female best friend on Xbox Live since Halo 2 and I've seen this soooo much. Luckily, she's immune to this shit and it mostly ends up being fun for us because we've been dealing with it since we were basically children. I get it decently often too being a big homo.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
The more I see stuff like this and the replies to them, the more I hate the use of the word "trolling". It's a mindless way to excuse dealing with a problem by equating genuine sexism, racism, and what have you with harmless pranksters.

Cien

Oct 25, 2017
Yuk that's disgusting. As a young (male) adult during my World of Warcraft days (2006-2010), I did countless voicechated PvE with girls, women, mothers, housewifes or single ladies without hearing a tiny fraction of this amount of garbage (I can't speak for them of course). Only creepy (or desperate) message while playing a female avatar.

While I'm sure MMOs aren't immune to that sort of harassment, it does seem a lot less frequent on there. I mainly play FFXIV, and don't see nearly as much stupidity, even in the discord chats.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
Gamers were a mistake. The only way they like women is fictional and naked.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
It's honestly bizarre that these people act this way. Like they are so socially inept and without consequence. I find that there are even a ton of people that don't harp and harass a girl but still ask at the start if they are a girl like it's pertinent info. Like just don't, how hard is that? Fools.

Sir Guts

Use of alt account
Oct 26, 2017
Which kills me, because the community started out awesome. People were communicative, helpful, polite, and wanted to win but also have fun.

But of course, like any game that gets popular, that goodness was diluted heavily by the idiots that came over from other big games.
Indeed. I don't really understand where's the fun in insulting other people while playing. Also the thought of "Women don't know how to play video games" must vanish.
Nah it doesn't happen the same way and with the same intensity for everyone and no they are also not just trolls and no ignoring them is not actually the solution.
I'm not saying the same, I'm saying it happens either you're a man or woman. There's no other solution but to report them. What are you going to do exactly? Talk to them about how it's wrong and make them stop? They won't.

Stoof

Oct 25, 2017
Absolute lol at the "This happens to everyone!" comments, didn't even make it to second page before that started rolling in.

MarcyPoos

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck people.. I was playing Fortnite squads on my own and was matched with a kid aged 8 - 12 and another aged 13 - 15. I didn't have my mic on but the younger kid asked where we were going twice and if anybody had a mic and the older kid started swearing at him telling him to shut up and it broke my heart. Needless to say I plugged in my mic and let them both know I was there and told the younger kid that he could lead the team. The older kid didn't say a word after that.

Point is, if you come across toxic behaviour online, be a good example and maybe these people will stop for a second and think about what they're saying. Or at the very least another person might get to have a better experience.