• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

PhazonBlonde

User requested ban
Banned
May 18, 2018
Somewhere deep in space
I have to constantly report and tell people to shut the fuck up in comp OW cause they find is so strange that a woman is on their team.
I remember this guy dove in 1v5 as Winston when all we needed to do was guard the point because we got a pick and then he blamed the loss on only woman on the team for not healing his overextension.
That shit tilted me so bad because not only was it not even her fault at all, he couldn't even see how he was the one that cost us the win by not being near the team.
Thank you. All it literally takes most the time is one team mate saying "dude stfu and play the damn game."

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
You act cool and counter whatever they say.
If it they fire back and it keeps going back and forth, ask calmly if they (teammates) want to win this game or bitch around.
If that still doesn't work, you can still mute the others.

Honestly, I think a lot of people shouting "kill yourself" would shut up if you'd just go ahead with something like "why don't you try it first?". Harsh, but there's no reason not to be harsh to people telling you to kys.
All the women want to do is play the game.
Your only suggestions so far is that the women need to modify their behavior.
Kindly understand why you're getting pushback on your solution.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I think part of what pushed me away from multiplayer, aside from just not liking it all that much, is voice chat. Some people love it, but I can't stand it. If I was playing with a group of friends I'd be fine with it. But random people? Nah, I have no interest at all in that.

Kintaro

Oct 27, 2017
There's no way to police speech on XBL/PSN. You are always going to run into toxic individuals regardless of your gender -- the best way to handle these situations is to mute, block, and report. If you engage these people they will consider it a win.
"Xbox record that"
I mean does MS not accept video proof of the harrass to?

Green Yoshi

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cologne (Germany)
It was already bad in 2007 when I was new to online gaming. I can understand if people only want to play with their friends online.

Overflow

Oct 29, 2017
Wollongong
The Siege community at launch was such a breath of fresh air. Genuinely mature and respectful adults having a good time. That was before all the teenagers and COD crowd latched onto it.

Shit like this is just embarrassing and awful.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
This is a result of developers, publishers and platform holders essentially allowing this type of behaviour to exist and/or not punishing it hard enough.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
For every example of ppl talking shit to women online why isn't there ppl stepping in to say something?

I always see complaints, always see proof of ppl being assholes but yet never see or hear of ppl stepping in to stop the harrassment. It seems the only defence that happens is ppl discussing this thing here.

Would be nice to see ppl step in and make a difference instead of all sitting there with their mics muted recording video to later come here and discuss how awful ppl are.

What are you talking about? You realize the one who recorded that video is actually the woman being harassed, right?
And if you're still wondering why nobody spoke up is because they were all actively harassing her. Yes, that's the point we're at.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
That's tame compared to the compilations I've heard. Not saying this isn't an issue, more like my expectations were rock bottom to begin with.

I do think game companies need to actively fight this stuff. The fact that they remain silent is just them giving their approval for awful behavior.

TheWordyGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Okay, no joke... I had no idea that it's THIS bad for females.

These guys simply couldn't deal with a female joining them to play a game. What's frightening here is how old these guys sound. Maybe I could've envisioned 8-year-old males acting like this, but these are young men.

And, no, this sort of thing doesn't happen to 'everyone'. If you're a male you don't immediately have people talking like this to you the second you say something. She was attacked... just for being female.

OP, thank you for posting this. This video disgusted and enraged me. I'm astonished... just astonished... that not one male had the fucking balls to stand up to the other males and tell them to shut the fuck up.

Necron

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Why I play single-player...

Not to excuse anyone who does play online, though. There should be harsh moderation and reporting in place for these games. I haven't touched online modes in years so I probably should withhold myself from the conversation. Still, it's disgusting and has been going on for way too long. I have a feeling it has even gotten worse recently. I urge anyone to stand up to these kinds of people, though. Easier said than done, I assume - it does take some courage despite the anonymity. Ironically, said anonymity being partially the reason for such behaviour.

NamasteWager

Oct 27, 2017
The world is full of assholes and bullies both online and in real life. Unfortunately, online gaming is even worse for women and minorities because of anonymity and very few gamers speaking up to protect their fellow players while the behavior is occurring. I am guilty of this myself as I oftentimes will opt to mute all players rather than call out the behavior.

The anonymity is the worst part. People feel they can say whatever they want and there will be no repercussion even though they are hurting people on the other side. I spoke out against people like this a few times when I played LoL, but it all just became so toxic that I had to just quit all together. I really dislike being labeled as a 'gamer', even though I play tons of games, I just feel like it's a super negative term because this immaturity is what comes to my mind.

And you think with things like e-sports becoming a more televised thing, you would start to see examples of normal human beings that play games (and I am sure there are a good few examples in there) but you still see a ton of players getting pulled from teams for being racist/sexist/homophobic on streams/tournaments.

Deleted member 2595

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've had to call out people I used to play with often cause they pull shit like this. Staying silent is staying complicit

Yup

Then let's get heavy moderation in then rather than this sexist, and also frequently racist, wild west shit.

Yup

I also wonder what power removing usernames would have. Obviously not for the whole multiplayer mode of a big game, but perhaps on a certain playlist.

"ranked
"non-ranked"
"non-anonymous"

Or in Fortnite it something:
"singles"
"duos"
"Non-anonymous singles"
"Non-anonymous duos"

Etc

See how people behave when it's their real name up there.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Then let's get heavy moderation in then rather than this sexist, and also frequently racist, wild west shit.

How would this be possible? I don't see how real-time moderation would be a thing given the number of sessions across each ecosystem.

I suppose voice data for every player could be stored for a certain amount of time, but I don't know how feasible that would be either.

Ashdroid

Oct 27, 2017
While I'm sure MMOs aren't immune to that sort of harassment, it does seem a lot less frequent on there. I mainly play FFXIV, and don't see nearly as much stupidity, even in the discord chats.
I suspect that a required subscription is enough of a barrier to keep a decent number of the harassers out.

However, ESO, being pay-to-play and cheap ($10 for a digital copy on sale, less for a used disc), can be really bad. Lots of sexual harassment through text chat if you have even a vaguely female-sounding name, lots of randoms following female players around, dudes repeatedly positioning their character to make it look like they're holding hands with you or giving you a lapdance (while you're waiting for something to spawn, so it's either put up with it or miss out), plus the usual and old af shit ("girls are trash at video games", "make me a sandwich", etc.) Equipping an item that shows the name of my (women-only) guild over my character brings out alllllll the weirdos and creeps. I report and send screenshots of the worst in text chat, but how do you report someone for just following you around for 30 minutes?

AndrewDean84

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fontana, California
It genuinely angers me to see this kind of stuff. It's one of the many reasons why I've mostly given up on any sort of multiplayer gaming.
Same here. Makes me fear the day my daughter wants to chat online. Thank GOD Nintendo is ass backwards with voice chat and I don't have to worry about her having to deal with the scum online. She loves playing Splatoon 2 and Minecraft online with her Switch.

DaToonie

Oct 26, 2017
What's wrong if it happens to other ppl too? Should it be used to validate their behaviour? No. And if that's what your getting at, that's fine, but dont sit there saying no one else is allowed to complain of their experience no matter what race or gender. We are all humans.

That is not what this topic is about.

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For the record Annemunition is a quality ass streamer, really good at Overwatch too.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
How would this be possible? I don't see how real-time moderation would be a thing given the number of sessions across each ecosystem.

I suppose voice data for every player could be stored for a certain amount of time, but I don't know how feasible that would be either.

Silent report that brings in an invisible moderator into the voice chat who can then action it. For starters... With yeah a temp storage of sound data so the mod when brought it can review what has been said.

ThatsMyTrunks

Mokuzai Studio
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
San Antonio, TX
I've had to call out people I used to play with often cause they pull shit like this. Staying silent is staying complicit
Agreed a hundred percent. I was on a fireteam with a dude who said "that's pretty gay" when Saladin said "You look pleased" during Iron Banner. I asked the guy why, and continued to ask him what he really meant by it and eventually he questioned himself. Sometimes a mirror is all you need.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Yup

Yup

I also wonder what power removing usernames would have. Obviously not for the whole multiplayer mode of a big game, but perhaps on a certain playlist.

"ranked
"non-ranked"
"non-anonymous"

Or in Fortnite it something:
"singles"
"duos"
"Non-anonymous singles"
"Non-anonymous duos"

Etc

See how people behave when it's their real name up there.

I'd rather no have people who have no problem making sexist comments be able to know my real name and find me thanks. Facebook plugin comment sections should tell you that anonymity means nothing.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
People are playing games trying to kill each other, been the most violent makes you the most points, the more you kill the better you are... and then expect people to be nice to each other. I am sorry but I believe there is a disconnect with that sort of thinking.

I'm seeing a disconnect, all right.

Nobody should be subject to harassment because of who they are, what they believe or any other reason, but people paying war games for fun are weird.

So people who play games you don't approve of are the ones at fault and should be harassed? Thanks for the empathy.
Also a suggestion; if a sentence forms in your mind that starts with "nobody should be harassed because of who they are, but...", perhaps don't complete the thought, or at least don't commit it to written form.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
I call this shit out whenever I hear it. But then I just get accused of "white knighting" and get harassed for that.

Majukun

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
you really don't wanna play in a voice chat at all if you are not with people you know,you are getting a miserable experience no matter what your gender is.

Deleted member 2210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thank you. All it literally takes most the time is one team mate saying "dude stfu and play the damn game."

Guys have to start saying something. My homegirl STILL doesn't VC on online games and we both started online gaming back at the advent of it in the early 2000s.
Dudes who don't say shit about it need to constantly shut it down whenever they hear it.

I call this shit out whenever I hear it. But then I just get accused of "white knighting" and get harassed for that.

Same here, but idgaf, let them call me a white knight. Better than being a harassing mouthbreather.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, without heavy moderation I don't think there is anything you can do against this.

Your best bet as a female player is to play along or "not feed the trolls".
Did you watch the clip in the OP? Would you say that strategy was effective?
What's just as frightening here:

All you have to do is read through this thread, and it becomes blatantly obvious that right here at Reset Era we have males amongst us who could easily be one of the males in this video.

It's actually quite interesting that some of you guys are revealing yourselves without even realizing it.
Even if they're not, I think enabling it or giving it a pass is at least as bad because it is a reason it can propagate unchallenged.

TheWordyGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

All you have to do is read through this thread, and it becomes blatantly obvious that right here at Reset Era we have males amongst us who could easily be one of the males in this video.

It's actually quite interesting that some of you guys are revealing yourselves without even realizing it.

Oct 28, 2017
It's not just reddit my friend, look at all the dudes doing the same shit in this thread throwing up their hands and saying nothing will fix it. Solution is simple, more ppl call it out and kick sexist assholes.

Ubi just implemented a report feature for toxic behaviour, that's what it's there for.

The reality is that kicking them does nothing. You can do it if you like but nobody really cares in casual because it takes them a grand total of 10 seconds to find a new match and it'll result in an auto-loss for you anyway.

Casual mode in Siege is rife with absolute tossers. With no stakes involved, every game involves a barrage of mic spam, ladder tking, abusive chat, you name it.

DaToonie

Oct 26, 2017

Truly terrifying.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Silent report that brings in an invisible moderator into the voice chat who can then action it. For starters... With yeah a temp storage of sound data so the mod when brought it can review what has been said.

If people still abuse the reporting system like they used to, you'd have to have a lot of moderators to cover every report. I still don't think real-time moderation is possible.

Temporary storage of voice data, messages, and sending in gameplay videos as proof of abuse (you can do this on PS4, don't know about Xbox or Steam) would go a ways to helping, assuming Sony/Valve/MS/Nintendo get serious about policing toxic behaviour.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
The problem isn't exclusive to games.

We are discussing this within the context of gaming. What happens in other mediums has no relation to what's going on, right here, in this thread where the topic is about gaming.

The fact that you had to comment to defend this pre-fabricated idea of 'gamers' says a lot honestly

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

The difference being that when you end that session the harassment goes away. Women don't get that luxury.

Also remember that when they're busy harassing you, at least they're not harassing her. Seems like a small price to pay for giving someone a respite from this bullshit.

Oct 30, 2017
What are you talking about? You realize the one who recorded that video is actually the woman being harassed, right?
And if you're still wondering why nobody spoke up is because they were all actively harassing her. Yes, that's the point we're at.

So in every game ever played, every team member that one woman has is an asshole? Your telling me there's not one person that could have said cut this shit? This is one video of many. One game of many games that get played. Obviously there are situations where an entire team can be idiots, but I highly doubt that its statically all the time.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
People are playing games trying to kill each other, been the most violent makes you the most points, the more you kill the better you are... and then expect people to be nice to each other. I am sorry but I believe there is a disconnect with that sort of thinking.
Nobody should be subject to harassment because of who they are, what they believe or any other reason, but people paying war games for fun are weird.

It is not just shooting games. Any game that keeps score in some way is plagued by such behavior. I would encourage you to go to closest park near you and watch, or better yet play, a couple of hours of pickup basketball (really any team sport). There will be a ton shittalking (not just the typical trashtalking) that crosses the line there as well.

The anonymity is the worst part. People feel they can say whatever they want and there will be no repercussion even though they are hurting people on the other side. I spoke out against people like this a few times when I played LoL, but it all just became so toxic that I had to just quit all together. I really dislike being labeled as a 'gamer', even though I play tons of games, I just feel like it's a super negative term because this immaturity is what comes to my mind.

And you think with things like e-sports becoming a more televised thing, you would start to see examples of normal human beings that play games (and I am sure there are a good few examples in there) but you still see a ton of players getting pulled from teams for being racist/sexist/homophobic on streams/tournaments.

Agreed. Although anonymity is not the only factor. As we know Internet forums and comment sections are full of folks, using their real FB profiles, harassing others as if it is going out of style.

Last edited:

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
It's good that evidence like this exists, but I hope more people will just learn to believe women when they say they're harassed instead of saying "prove it."

Majukun

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

and just like this girl you just either just let them talk or just close the voice chat and keep playing like a boss

assholery is not gonna disappear from the world anytime soon.

Aomame

Oct 27, 2017
I understand the intention of pointing out that the player in the video is decent at games, but this vitriol isn't acceptable regardless of your skill level. To some degree I think the video is complicit in that too, though it's to highlight the irony of these men telling her she sucks even though she was MVP.

Even if a female player isn't doing too hot, she doesn't deserve to be harrassed for her gender.

tiebreaker

Oct 25, 2017
Online gaming community need to change. Seems like the options are mute or have your own party.

It's one of the reason why I stop playing Dota, and women have it worse.

Deleted member 1726

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The more I see stuff like this and the replies to them, the more I hate the use of the word "trolling". It's a mindless way to excuse dealing with a problem by equating genuine sexism, racism, and what have you with harmless pranksters.

It isn't trolling, it's generally being a piece of shit and should be labelled as such.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So in every game ever played, every team member that one woman has is an asshole? Your telling me there's not one person that could have said cut this shit? This is one video of many. One game of many games that get played. Obviously there are situations where an entire team can be idiots, but I highly doubt that its statically all the time.
You are missing the point, it doesn't matter whether or not this happens every time or even most times, it matters that it happened at all. It's unacceptable that this happens to anyone at any point.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
Are there any social MMO games where people communicate without the toxicity? I mean, you can't avoid the occasional asshole, but are there games with a very relaxed player base?

I remember Pangya was pretty good. I played solo or tournament matches, and at worst it was people making lame golf puns.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

Thanks for literally pulling statistics out of your asshole rather than challenge your preconceptions that the situation might, indeed, be that bad. I would direct you to watch the Overwatch video above which has a couple dozen instances of men acting like that to women with zero other men calling them out, but I'm sure you'll also dismiss them all as cherry-picking.

Please continue to tell yourself that these are all black swan events in a sea of kindness and empathy, so that you can sleep better at night. Wouldn't want you to be upset or change your way of thinking just because women are being literally harassed out of games.

Paches

Oct 25, 2017
We are discussing this within the context of gaming. What happens in other mediums has no relation to what's going on, right here, in this thread where the topic is about gaming.

The fact that you had to comment to defend this pre-fabricated idea of 'gamers' says a lot honestly
I think you are misunderstanding me. My view is that by saying comments like "gamers are awful" minimizes the problem at large. Yes, it is a massive problem within gaming, but also with the culture at large. What happens in other mediums does have a relation in creating a environment that normalizes this type of behavior.