• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Desma

Oct 27, 2017
I remember picking up my PSP after playing on my Switch for a while.

That sure was something, lol

chanman

Nov 9, 2017
I am still using mine to play some Legend of Heroes games and the size is hardly an issue for me.

optimus

Banned
Feb 5, 2020
Same thing happened to me.

The OLED screen was so beautiful on the Vita that I thought I would sill choose it over the Switch when there was a multiplat on both that I wanted, but getting used to the greater real estate of the Switch just made Vita seem tiny.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I'm glad it still worked. All my Vita memory cards died after a couple years of storage. 😥

100s of games installed and meticulously organized to my great pleasure - gone. I was so disappointed that I didn't even bother fixing them. My Vitas gave up on me. I remain devastated.
Woah. Is that a common problem? I haven't fired mine up in awhile but that worries me.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I've used my Vita daily Since it was released. To me, everything about it is perfect. I'm very comfortable with any control set up Especially with remote play, when the rear panel turns in to 4 buttons. I almost never have issues pressing what I want, and my hands don't cramp up with it either. Now, I use it to play my ps4, despite my ps4 being ~20ft away or so. I feel if I sit on my console, being tucked away in the back of my home, I'm too cut off. I love Vita remote play though...thousands of hours have been spent playing MoHun and GTAO with it. Even from like 40-50 miles away. I've fine tuned my network over the years, so for me it works near flawlessly, no matter how I connect it. It's been my favorite gaming thing to happen, aside from VR. I'll be sad to see it die out next gen :(
I always wished remote play worked like that on my end. Every single time I've ever tried it was a terrible experience.

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017
It's honestly the perfect size to me. The Switch is way too unwieldy to shine as a portable (haven't used the Lite yet).
Then again, the GB Micro was my favorite GBA iteration…

Oct 27, 2017
I was just using my Vita on the way home, on the train. Love me some Isaac on the go.

I've tried, but the Swotch just doesn't cut it for me. Everything, from the hardware to the games, has been a major letdown for me. I wish Sony would make a beefier Vita focused on indies and smaller games. That'd be perfect for me.

pillowtalk

Oct 10, 2018
Vita should have had a bigger screen. I can remember some people defending the small screen because they wanted to fit it in their pant pockets. Are they wearing JNCO jeans? who the fuck are these people? I dunno, I'm not going back to gaf to check.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel the opposite. I got a switch a couple of days ago and it feels so damn heavy and tiring to hold. The joy cons feel as if thhey could pop off any moment and it just doesn't compare to the Vita in the build quality. It feels so damn cheap.

I wish a Vita 2 came out...

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
This is me with older smartphones I had to use my buddies iPhone SE the other day to take a photo. I'm so used to my Note 9 now that it felt like a toy to me.

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly prefer the Vita's form factor and weight. The Switch feels like a stone slab in comparison, legit having trouble playing Project Diva on it.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad it still worked. All my Vita memory cards died after a couple years of storage. 😥

100s of games installed and meticulously organized to my great pleasure - gone. I was so disappointed that I didn't even bother fixing them. My Vitas gave up on me. I remain devastated.

My memory cards are okay, but the game cards are kinda shit. Now my Rayman Origins game card won't read.

But it could also be my Vita just dying because the start button doesn't work anymore, and boy, does it struggle with a couple of the games that you can still play without needing to hit the start button.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
I still use my Vita a ton. I think besides PC I beat more games on mine last year than any other system.

SD2Vita/PSVSD are what you need in your life.

Baron Von Beans

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I always wished remote play worked like that on my end. Every single time I've ever tried it was a terrible experience.
It took a LOT of tweaking. I've set all my wireless connections in my household to be on different channels from my vita. My PS4 is wired, but in the remote play settings I have direct connection to PS4 turned off. I only turn that on if I'll be taking my PS4 somewhere and I can't guarantee a monitor will be available. So my vita is going through my router through wifi , to the PS4 through Ethernet. Anything that can be on 5g is, leaving the lesser spectrum free for the vita only. My building is ooolllld, so the walls are pure shit for transmitting signals, so some of the tweaking came from the router location. Power save unchecked on Vita, and I think there was one or two other settings I had to enable/disable that were on/off by default. Very rarely, during "peak hours", I get a little interference, but I'm not sure if it's my appliances or neighbors and their devices. But when it works, it's like buttah. I can be close to 50ft away on my patio on the opposite end of house playing MoHun without missing a frame. All I can say is keep at it, but I know not everyone has the patience to go through everything. Once I moved to where I am now, it took me a few months to perfect it. But I really think a key component for me this time was wiring the PS4, and then disabling the direct connection to the PS4. It's a pain for sure, but it's so great once it's set up just right. Good luck to ya.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
I loved my vita, but it always felt like it had too many compromises. The switch feels like what I wanted from the vita.
Exactly. The Vita was really, really good for the time, but just not good enough to reach its full potential due to hardware compromises and software catalogue (for my taste).
The Switch takes what the Vita set out to deliver and delivers on nearly all fronts; only two things I think the Vita's still ahead: 1.) the hardware build quality (except shoulder buttons) feels more premium than the Switch, which still feels really solid; 2.) the Vita has Persona 3 and 4.

Aside from that... Can't really bring myself to pick up the Vita anymore. But I also stopped playing on my commute, so I don't really need a handheld as portable as the Vita or 3DS.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Funny i just pulled out my Vita a few days ago as well, fired up some Ratchet & Clank

Aneru

Mar 15, 2019
I remember I stopped using my Vita because it was on firmware 3.60 which was the needed firmware to mod it, but I never really got around to it. So it's been sitting on a little display stand I made on my bookshelf for a while. Thinking I might just update it proper and get around to some of the games I started and never finished. Is it still worth it to mod, for emulators and ability to use a micro sd card? Any other neat things you can do to mod it?
I just modded mine last week and I am super happy with it. Just as an FYI, there are mods now that will revert the current firmware back to 3.60 for a full hack and you can even run hacks on later firmwares without reverting if you'd rather run a more current firmware.
I've only been using it for a week but I'm really happy with it. Definitely found it worth the effort.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
It took a LOT of tweaking. I've set all my wireless connections in my household to be on different channels from my vita. My PS4 is wired, but in the remote play settings I have direct connection to PS4 turned off. I only turn that on if I'll be taking my PS4 somewhere and I can't guarantee a monitor will be available. So my vita is going through my router through wifi , to the PS4 through Ethernet. Anything that can be on 5g is, leaving the lesser spectrum free for the vita only. My building is ooolllld, so the walls are pure shit for transmitting signals, so some of the tweaking came from the router location. Power save unchecked on Vita, and I think there was one or two other settings I had to enable/disable that were on/off by default. Very rarely, during "peak hours", I get a little interference, but I'm not sure if it's my appliances or neighbors and their devices. But when it works, it's like buttah. I can be close to 50ft away on my patio on the opposite end of house playing MoHun without missing a frame. All I can say is keep at it, but I know not everyone has the patience to go through everything. Once I moved to where I am now, it took me a few months to perfect it. But I really think a key component for me this time was wiring the PS4, and then disabling the direct connection to the PS4. It's a pain for sure, but it's so great once it's set up just right. Good luck to ya.
That's awesome you were able to set up such an ideal environment for it. On paper it's such a great feature but I definitely didn't get to experience its fullest potential.

Oct 27, 2017
Just be glad that your memory card still works. I'm constantly paranoid that my card is going to die again. I need to invest in one of the SD card adapters at some point.

"Hands cramping" people are always funny, just relax your hands and keep playing, the discomfort will be gone in less than a day unless you really have a fucked up grip you don't wanna fix.

That doesn't really help when you have really long fingers. The buttons are too close to the edge of the system, so I have to hold it in an uncomfortable way. I avoid cramps by getting those grip things that bulk up the system. Had to do the same with the 3DS, and the Daemon X Machina controller on the Swtich accomplishes the same thing.

Deleted member 13155

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Same, my vita was dead pretty much every time I left it in a drawer for a few days.

Same here, was a PITA. I think you had to disable live updates etc, or shut it down completely.

But Vita was so amazing. I beat FFX on it and that felt rather surreal back then, suspend/resume was such an awesome feature.

stan_marsh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I love the Vita but the fact that save games are tied to game data is fucking nonsense. If you delete the game the save data goes with it.

Luckily I have PS+ and can use the cloud to upload the save data.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
Not only that, i'm sure it still had a considerable amount of charge left. That Vita was a wizard with battery life.

Fake edit: Also, this was back in the day with 5" screens were big, so being an a 6"+ phone for years makes it hard to go back.
No Sony handheld has lasted more than a month with any type of charge for me with non use. The PSP battery would drain in a week.

DS battery on the other hand went over a decade of non use and still had a charge.

Bunzy

Banned
Nov 1, 2018
I really need to charge mine, it's been a while. I was playing castlevania x last, prob over two years ago.
I booted up my new 3ds xl to play fire emblem sacred stones after 2 years plus and it was perfect, hope vita is lucky too.

Also I really need to see what all the fuss about persona 4 Golden is all about.

Shoshi

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Would love to have a dockable Switch Pro in the same size as Switch Light and Vita.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

My condolences. My cards have been sketchy at best, but seem to be holding on. I'm currently playing Shovel Knight King of Cards on it. I dunno, the Vita is still a lot more convenient for me than the Switch. I have a rigid clamshell lid and can slip it into one of my coat's pockets. With the Switch you need a backpack and travelling case, which makes it such a chore every time you want to take it out or store it.

Waffle

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah it wasn't the most comfortable to hold. Also the lack of some buttons made the thing not deliver on the home console experience I wanted. It was still a pretty cool handheld though.

yyr

Nov 14, 2017
White Plains, NY
I still use my Vita all the time, and I think it has some of the best controls ever put into a portable.

My Switch is the thing that collects dust. I still think it's too damn big.

Yes, I know this is an unpopular opinion.

Stefarno

I ... survived Sedona
Oct 27, 2017
I have really short fingers so the Vita size is perfect to me.

I sold my original Switch to get a Switch Lite and I'd do the same again if they released a mini Switch Lite.

Wetalo

Feb 9, 2018
The Vita is the perfect size for a handheld and you finding it small is heresy against the machine god.

FPX

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I just modded mine last week and I am super happy with it. Just as an FYI, there are mods now that will revert the current firmware back to 3.60 for a full hack and you can even run hacks on later firmwares without reverting if you'd rather run a more current firmware.
I've only been using it for a week but I'm really happy with it. Definitely found it worth the effort.

Are there any threads/subreddits/discords etc that I can check out and ask beginner questions?

Oct 26, 2017

Booted up my Vita recently after a long time and almost had a heart attack when it asked me to set up the date and time. Thought my memory card erased everything.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017

Oh shit. I should check mine.

SonicFighterV

May 13, 2019

I thought this was happening only in 64gb and some of the off brand memory cards. I have a 32 gig and 16 gig since launch and never had a problem with them.