• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ObbyDent

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
I think its funny people talk about how powerful the Vita is when the New 3DS CPU beats it in spades.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Oh wow. Now I feel like I should check my vitas again and see if everything is ok. I kinda stopped using them for a few months now.

...It's also why I treat the 32GB I got with my launch system and heavily used (since for a few years I was reviewing tons of Vita games, so lots of reads+writes to it) like it's a ticking time bomb.

I told my roommate (who I gave my old system) that, and I just hope it doesn't crap out soon.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Can't agree, the screen size is good enough but most of all it is light and fits my hands nicely plus the OLED screen is still amazing.

ToD_

Oct 27, 2017
I think the Vita screen size is fine, and for me the size and weight are perfect for a handheld. I do wish there was a way to adjust the OLED colors, however. It's stuck in a wide color gamut, making everything look oversaturated. In addition, it doesn't actually do full black like current OLED panels do (but better than typical handheld LCDs). Finally, there is the mura effect, which was also common on AMOLED panels around the time of the Vita's release.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
I think the Vita screen size is fine, and for me the size and weight are perfect for a handheld. I do wish there was a way to adjust the OLED colors, however. It's stuck in a wide color gamut, making everything look oversaturated. In addition, it doesn't actually do full black like current OLED panels do (but better than typical handheld LCDs). Finally, there is the mura effect, which was also common on AMOLED panels around the time of the Vita's release.

Boy, do I have news for you!

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
it just doesn't compare to the Vita in the build quality. It feels so damn cheap.

Gonna have to disagree with that. The Vita looks nice (I'm a sucker for glossy electronics), but there's clearly a lot more going on in the Switch that makes it feel like the big step up that it is. It's a very well-made system.

ToD_

Oct 27, 2017
I'll keep reading, and will experiment with this on my Vita, but this appears to do the opposite of what I want. I would like more accurate colors on the OLED, which is oversaturated (stuck in wide gamut). This seems to be helping those with a Slim who want more saturated colors. I'm also not sure if this trick is doing what people think it's doing. Typically forcing 0-255 range on a display set to 16-235 results does result in more saturated looking colors, but usually comes at the expense of shadow and highlight detail.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
I'll keep reading, and will experiment with this on my Vita, but this appears to do the opposite of what I want. I would like more accurate colors on the OLED, which is oversaturated (stuck in wide gamut). This seems to be helping those with a Slim who want more saturated colors. I'm also not sure if this trick is doing what people think it's doing. Typically forcing 0-255 range on a display set to 16-235 results does result in more saturated looking colors, but usually comes at the expense of shadow and highlight detail.

It should help with your black levels, at least.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gonna have to disagree with that. The Vita looks nice (I'm a sucker for glossy electronics), but there's clearly a lot more going on in the Switch that makes it feel like the big step up that it is. It's a very well-made system.
I don't agree at all, the switch especially with the joy cons feel pretty meh. I much prefer the build quality of the vita

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
I don't agree at all, the switch especially with the joy cons feel pretty meh. I much prefer the build quality of the vita

Versatility of the joy cons goes a huge way for me. From being able to play portably in handheld form, to popping them in the shell and using them like a controller, to sticking them in accessories like Ring Fit Adventure and never ceasing to be amazed at how damn accurate they are, to splitting them to play local co op, to using them for gyro aiming... they really make up for a lot in my mind with the various ways you can utilize them in different games.

Richter1887

Oct 27, 2017
For me personally it is not about the gloss.

The switch just doesn't compare in terms of build quality. The joycons feel terrible when put on the switch and feel as if they would rip off any moment. The device being very square compared to the roundness of the Vita combined with the weight make it feel much less comfortable to hold over a øong period of time. Not to mention the texture is much less smooth to hold.

Only things I feel it does better is the L2 R2 triggers causee they help with holding it. That's basically the only thing that feels better for me.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Versatility of the joy cons goes a huge way for me. From being able to play portably in handheld form, to popping them in the shell and using them like a controller, to sticking them in accessories like Ring Fit Adventure and never ceasing to be amazed at how damn accurate they are, to splitting them to play local co op, to using them for gyro aiming... they really make up for a lot in my mind with the various ways you can utilize them in different games.
I guess but the drift issues on top of they don't feel that good to me. They are versatile but they just don't hold up to better controllers

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For me personally it is not about the gloss.

The switch just doesn't compare in terms of build quality. The joycons feel terrible when put on the switch and feel as if they would rip off any moment. The device being very square compared to the roundness of the Vita combined with the weight make it feel much less comfortable to hold over a øong period of time. Not to mention the texture is much less smooth to hold.

Only things I feel it does better is the L2 R2 triggers causee they help with holding it. That's basically the only thing that feels better for me.

It feels like you want a Switch Lite, no? You said you wanted a Vita 2 so I'm guessing docked play isn't a factor in what you're looking for here.

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
I absolutely love Vita as a piece of hardware. Which makes it even more sad that Sony completely dropped it.

Deleted member 41651

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 3, 2018
The Vita looks beautiful but as somebody who doesn't even have large hands, it still hurt like a mofo after a half hour of play. I was forced to buy a hand grip thing which improved things a bit.

Avenger54321

Oct 27, 2017
Gurnee
Started using mine again recently to play some games on my PS4 using remote play while away from hime. Shocked by how good the battery life still is after all these years of no use.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Pulled my Vita out of it's drawer and the thing still powered up after god knows how long. 32gig memory card a-okay as well ! I think I might use it to replay FF7 before the remake comes out.
Also I have some completely forgotten games on here like Ragnarok Odyssey and Soul Sacrifice that I played a ton of yet were erased from my memories for some reason lol

Richter1887

Oct 27, 2017
It feels like you want a Switch Lite, no? You said you wanted a Vita 2 so I'm guessing docked play isn't a factor in what you're looking for here.
Not really.

I prefer the smaller system but the reason I never got the lite was for two things. The analogs being very fragile too cause drift (which makes a switch very risky. The other is battery life).

Still the point is that even the lite doesn't compare if the kiosk demo is anything to go by. It still felt cheap.

alundra311

Oct 25, 2017
With regards to holding a charge, I think the OG DS is king. After years without using, I decided to turn it on to check if it still works and, lo and behold, it still shows a full charge.

Augemitbutter

Oct 25, 2017
Not only is it shockingly small after getting used to the Switch, I'm at a point in my life where I can no longer see the Game Boy Micro screen. I was so disappointed when I realised it.
it was harder for me too, lol. After 15 min. my eyes got used to it again and it went surprisingly smooth. The first time was a shocking moment though. Oh well, it's a postage stamp after all.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
Some of us just like smaller portables. I only use OG Switch for docked play. Lite is so much better for handheld play. I really like the Vita's size. Love live Vita!

Deadceptor

Oct 26, 2017

It should help with your black levels, at least.

I've extensively tested this on three different OLED Vitas and I can tell you that changing the RGB range from default 0 (=auto) to 1 (=limited) or 2 (=full) does absolutely nothing. No better black levels, nothing.

On the other hand changing the color space mode to 1 might correct the saturation a bit on a Vita that has more of a neutral tone. Though I couldn't see the difference on Vitas that had a warmer tone.

Last edited:

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
I played my Vita recently and it's funny how the screen quality seems on par or better than my Switch.