• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
There's tons on the eShop. It's designed in a way that makes it difficult to find anything that hasn't just come out or that you don't already know the name of...

OP
OP

Typhonsentra

Oct 27, 2017
Are you trolling op? If not, where have you been hinding for the last 3 years? Also, out of over 1000 games you can find in the eshop, you can't find anything you like?
I really tried my best here to not make this thread confrontational but I guess it kind of just ends up that way for a thread about Nintendo. To Clarify: I own Mario Kart as part of a bundle and bought Cuphead and Goose Game already. I also am interested in Pokemon but haven't bought it yet, along with the aforementioned Mana Collection. I did forget about Octopath until this thread which I remember wanting as well before it came out. After that though, I'm not really sure? I probably will eventually get Odyssey because I had so much fun with it but it feels hard to justify paying full price since I already beat it.

Noog

▲ Legend ▲
May 1, 2018
The lack of true access to Nintendo's back catalog is one of the things holding the Switch back from being a truly great console. You can get some NES and SNES games with Nintendo Online, but they stopped adding new monthly games and frankly I'm not sure when or if we're getting more SNES or NES games.

The Wii U was far better in this regard. Plus, you're right about the apps. People like to blame Netflix, Amazon, etc., but Nintendo has to have some weird policy or something that makes them not want to bring their platform to Switch.

It gets really good exclusives a few times per year, and you can play a lot of really good indie games and ports of older games on the go which is nice.

You can't really criticize the Switch without getting shit on, but your critiques are valid.

brinstar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really tried my best here to not make this thread confrontational but I guess it kind of just ends up that way for a thread about Nintendo. To Clarify: I own Mario Kart as part of a bundle and bought Cuphead and Goose Game already. I also am interested in Pokemon but haven't bought it yet, along with the aforementioned Mana Collection. I did forget about Octopath until this thread which I remember wanting as well before it came out. After that though, I'm not really sure? I probably will eventually get Odyssey because I had so much fun with it but it feels hard to justify paying full price since I already beat it.
You could've titled your thread better. Like saying you just bought a Switch and need recommendations, and laid out your tastes. Saying the eshop is empty is just inviting conflict. It's not even close to being true and it makes it look like you're trying to start an argument.

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
I accidentally left my Switch at work on Friday and I had to turn my X1 and PS4 on for extended periods and all I did was browse the shops, buy nothing, then shut them off.

Literally NOTHING to buy.

OP
OP

Typhonsentra

Oct 27, 2017
For what it's worth, I am grateful to the one guy who actually took the time to make recommendations as I missed Octopath and that is definitely something that interests me, so thank you for that.

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
Bad thing: You didn't get the enjoyment you felt entitled to.

Good thing: You brought enjoyment to many in this forum with this nonsense.

So basically, everybody wins!
Except you. You lost.

upinsmoke

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There is plenty of games on there. The app side of things needs work and the UI is generally shite and sluggish but there is definitely lots on there. Alot of shit I would never play but loads of good stuff I would too.

Oct 25, 2017
Like yeah, I could look up inf about there being no virtual console but is it really unreasonable to assume it'd be there given it's been a part of their platform strategy since the original Wii was launched 13 years ago? I wouldn't really care as I have only ever bought one game from the Virtual Console in all these years (Earthbound Zero/Mother), but yeah, it surprised me to not see that get ported over. I remember it not being at launch, but people on GAF kept insisting it would come but I guess it didn't.
3 years in, absolutely unreasonable to assume anything if you just think what you heard on gaf would apply by now if you've like..you know.

Been here.

Like you're not new. You've been here since Era went online. How did you go all this time assuming the traditional virtual console was a thing by now. And you've got all the arcade ports, and the NES and SNES app stuff. Those exist.

That said, the eShop isn't barren. That's not what the word means.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't browse the eShop. It's not well designed for browsing. Instead, ask for game recommendations on here or look up articles online.

Deleted member 21326

User requested account closure.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
2900+ titles 🤔🤔🤔 Wouldnt it have been less clickbait, to say you dont like the titles offered?

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
In what world are in we in that the Switch eShop is barren and has no RPGs or retro games, of all things? "I guess it kind of just ends up that way for a thread about Nintendo." Huh?

OP, if you do earnestly want some eShop recs, I highly recommend tolkir's monthly Nintendo eShop thread, where we all complain about how there are too many games to keep up with and add more RPGs and retro games to our neverending backlogs.

EDIT: Also, while I miss the curation and unified wrapper of the Virtual Console, I'd be lying if I said I didn't have way more classic games for way less money than I did when Virtual Console was active. For instance, you could get the Sega Genesis Classics collection for $30 plus a year of Nintendo Switch Online for $20 (which includes NES and SNES game apps) -- that $50 will get you 110+ NES, SNES and Genesis games (all with way better quality of life features than the VC). For that price on VC, you'd have netted a whole 10 NES games.

Last edited:

Deleted member 925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

You're clearly not an informed buyer going by bits of info in this thread, so this is all on you. Also, Mario Odyssey was $30 at Target and $40-43 everywhere else, including the eShop.

My issue is that there's far too much to play on the Switch. I'm currently back and forth between Link's Awakening, Luigi's Mansion 3 and Pokemon. Not to mention a few indies I bought over the weekend.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
For what it's worth, I am grateful to the one guy who actually took the time to make recommendations as I missed Octopath and that is definitely something that interests me, so thank you for that.

I can at least name another 10-15 good rpgs on Switch:

Dragon Quest Builders 2
Mario + Rabbids
Cosmic Star Heroine
The Alliance Alive HD
Ys VIII
The Caligula Effect Overdose
Valkyria Chronicles 1
Grandia HD Collection
The Last Remnant Remastered
Super Neptunia RPG
Oninaki
Lost Sphear

Switch is my jrpg machine :P

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
You tried to make a thread non-confrontational by titling it "this store with 2929 games is empty" and an OP that boils down to "I didn't do any research about the Switch before buying it"? You have very valid points about the lack of apps and the navigability of the console version of the eShop, but you're framing those points with "I couldn't be bothered to do a two second Google search and am shocked". But sure, blame Nintendo fans, I guess.

If you wanted Switch recommendations, you could have just asked for them. You've never explicitly asked for them, but hussien-11 posted a list of the system's best RPGs for you anyways. The eShop thread Barn mentioned is also a great place for recommendations, especially for more easily overlooked titles.

When buying a console my personal rule of thumb is that the MSRP of the exclusives I want to play on a console must match the price of the console. For example, there would be 5 full priced games I would want to play on a $300. The games you've listed don't pass that threshold. To me, it sounds like you shouldn't have bought a Switch yet if there are that few games you want to buy for it.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Bought a game console and searched the store for not games. Ok then.

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
The eShop does a very poor job of highlighting games worth buying. The Featured tab is okay, but I have no idea how "featured" games are chosen. You can check out the monthly eShop thread if you need some recommendations on what to play.

massoluk

Oct 25, 2017
Thailand
Considering the amount of retro games available either via collection releases (Mega Man, Dragon Quests, SNK) or Switch Online services, is the lack of VC still even a valid complaint? For all intents and purposes, the label "Virtual Console" is gone but the retro libraries ain't bad at all.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I thought this thread would be about some issue with a regional store... but the problem seems to be entirely located within OP's lack of research.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England

Possibly filter the shop by games with demos. Also, keep a check on the news channel as that is great for flagging games and deals. As for VC, hit up the Online subscription. Forthcoming titles are really well documented on the eshop thread here. Plus that's a good, what should I buy question thread.

pariah164

Oct 25, 2017
Just say nothing pleases you and go.

Seriously, if you think there's nothing on the eShop as far as games go, then either you're super picky, or you're just bound and determined to be disappointed with everything.

Deleted member 51848

Jan 10, 2019
The eshop has the exact opposite problem. There is so much stuff it's a nightmare to navigate.

Amibguous Cad

Oct 25, 2017
If you strip out the inflammatory title, though, he's just got the same complaints everyone else does:

-Switch needs Virtual Console
-Switch needs more multimedia apps.

The latter, in particular... like, I don't blame anyone, at all, who buys a Switch and expects to be able to watch Netflix on it. It is a reasonable customer expectation that a tablet-like device will at least have rudimentary streaming capability in the year of our lord 2019.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
There are many RPGs on the Switch. There are not many apps on the Switch, no one really knows why for sure. And there is no VC on the Switch, but that really isn't news.

ZangBa

Oct 25, 2017
Barren is the last word I'd use for the shovelware hellscape they call the eshop.

Billdrew

Apr 8, 2019

If you enjoy JRPGs and haven't played Xenoblade 2 and the Torna expansion for it then you are honestly doing yourself a disservice. Plus the original Xenoblade remastered is launching next year.

dodmaster

Apr 27, 2019
As someone who doesn't own a switch, this thread made me think Nintendo doesn't have much in the way of online store content. Which obviously is wrong, according to a lot of people.

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
Switch does have many excellent rpgs, both Japanese and western:

Xenoblade 2
Torna
Octopath Traveler
Valkyria Chronicles 4
Tales of Vesperia
Undertale
Ni no Kuni
FF games
DQ11S
The World Ends With You
Atelier Ryza
3 Disgaea games
Fire Emblem Three Houses
Saga Scarlet Grace
Pokemon Sword Shield

... just a few examples.

You seriously haven't mentioned Witcher 3 here?!

Oct 29, 2017
He's right in saying that there's very very little that's actually exclusive to Switch on there.

If you already owned a Wii U, it's slim pickings for original content.

If you didn't though? You're drowning in great games however!

Jun 2, 2019
He's right in saying that there's very very little that's actually exclusive to Switch on there.

If you already owned a Wii U, it's slim pickings for original content.

If you didn't though? You're drowning in great games however!

Well, I own a Wii U, a PC and i'm still drowning in games.

Not only the era of exclusive third party games basically ended, you're also wrong in your Wii U comment. The Wii U games ported to Switch amount to a small percentage of the games released by Nintendo. Hell, just one month ago they released the best Luigi's Mansion ever made, and two weeks later the first home console pokémon game. Also, a new, small new ip got shadow released as The Stretchers. And that's only for the last month.

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, I own a Wii U, a PC and i'm still drowning in games.

Not only the era of exclusive third party games basically ended, you're also wrong in your Wii U comment. The Wii U games ported to Switch amount to a small percentage of the games released by Nintendo. Hell, just one month ago they released the best Luigi's Mansion ever made, and two weeks later the first home console pokémon game. Also, a new, small new ip got shadow released as The Stretchers. And that's only for the last month.
To be fair you're picking the key month for big releases for any platform and using it as an example of a typical month...