• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
The comparison to previous Nintendo consoles isn't really relevant unless they are the only consoles you buy. It's library should be compared to current options, ps4, xbox and steam.

Well the OP brought up the Wii U comparison not me, so the assumption is that he has at least some interest in and knowledge of Nintendo games. VC is the only point in Wii U's favour, it pales in comparison in both quantity and quality whether you're looking at first party, third party or indies. There isn't a single genre where Wii U beats Switch. If he doesn't like Nintendo games then that's just me misreading the OP but if that's the case then buying a Switch over the consoles you mentioned without researching it's library is an unbelievable move lol.

Last edited:

YolkFolk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The North, England
The comparison to previous Nintendo consoles isn't really relevant unless they are the only consoles you buy. It's library should be compared to current options, ps4, xbox and steam.

OK.

I think the Switch has a better library after less than 3 years than the PS4 and Xbox One did in the same time frame.

The Switch's best games are comfortably better than the best PS4 and Xbox One games during the same period as well.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
There's no shortage of good games, the way the eshop is laid out is just garbage

Gnorman

Banned
Jan 14, 2018
OK.

I think the Switch has a better library after less than 3 years than the PS4 and Xbox One did in the same time frame.

The Switch's best games are comfortably better than the best PS4 and Xbox One games during the same period as well.
That's a fair enough opinion. Previous consoles aren't competing for your time and money was my point.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Whew, can't go down that path with you OP.
Amazing handheld library, still can't believe it when I play the Lite.

lsa8gkzn.png

Last edited:

Murdy Plops

Banned
Dec 21, 2018
So does this confirm that the switch still has no games? Jeeze. It's been 3 years since launch nearly. What have Nintendo been doing?! 😅

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
So does this confirm that the switch still has no games? Jeeze. It's been 3 years since launch nearly. What have Nintendo been doing?! 😅
Can't tell if you're serious or if you didn't bother the rest of the thread..
But anyway, if you're buying a console three years in you should have a pretty good idea of what you'll get out of it when you purchase it and what Nintendo will produce in the future. Thread would have been better for you if you just asked for recommendations instead of starting with a false premise but hopefully some of the games you got recommended will satisfy your needs.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
None of those games I mentioned are really exclusive to Switch. You can play Link's Awakening on GB/GBC and Mario Maker on Wii U (which has most of the same content). Sure, LA is a great remake and MM2 is a nice upgrade from the Wii U original, but they're not really new experiences.

They're not really original, which was my point in the first place. If you have already played these games before, there isn't that much to entice you here. The Switch is lacking in actual, original content.
"You can play Link's Awakening on GB/GBC" I've never seen an argument this ridiculous even for games like the Shadow of the Colossus Remake which remakes a game way more recent. "You can play this game on 25 years old hardware in a way uglier form so it doesn't count." Lmao.

How can someone be so incredibly disingenuous. Does it hurt being like that?

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Beautiful list of games you've got there.
Switch is the best console I've ever owned. And my recently acquired Switch Lite has made things even better.
Thank you, I look forward to playing them some day 😂 year has left me with some sincere catching up to do!
Jokes aside it's a phenomenal console, and as you say the Lite really takes it up a notch. Such a nice bit of kit.

Jun 23, 2019
lol Don't feel bad OP, I feel the same way about my Switch. Everyone in here is harping about all of these amazing games, but let's be honest; eShop is filled with a lot of junk games. When you do manage to slog through the thousands of almost shovelware-esque indie games, you're left with playing games thats might have already had other ports on PC/other systems or Nintendo exclusives. It's why I'm usually disappointed whenever I go to the Great Deals tab.

On the bright side, because so many devs are crabs in a barrel trying to get noticed in a sea of other similar crabs, they will drop the prices of their games to almost unheard of prices to sell. That's when I pounce. Who is saying no to a .50 cent or cheaper game? Lol

Adroitone

Nov 12, 2017
I think we should add the Witcher 3 as mentioned, but amazed no one mentioned
Baldur's Gate 1+2
Planescape Torment + Icewind Dale
Neverwinter Nights (coming this week)
And...

Torchlight 2
Pillars of Eternity
Divinity: Original Sin 2 (one of the best RPGs this generation)
Wasteland 2
Mutant Zero

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
There is next to zero discoverability on the eshop.

You're right, but the discovery is being really well handled over on the news feed instead. I generally only hit up the shop when I am specifically looking for something. Other than that, my channel in to the store is through there. And it's done really quite well, very personalised.

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
You're right, but the discovery is being really well handled over on the news feed instead. I generally only hit up the shop when I am specifically looking for something. Other than that, my channel in to the store is through there. And it's done really quite well, very personalised.
I feel like people would have a way better opinion on the eshop if they just added the news section as the first tab on the eshop. Nintendo are really doing them a disservice because most people skip it as soon as they launch the console.

Though to be honest they should also try to make the eshop faster and remove any loading when scrolling, wading through all the games on the deals section is a pain because of the time it takes to browse.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
The notion that a Era users that waited nearly 3 years to buy a console has no idea what kind of games he wants to buy on it or are avaible is hard to believe.

There isn't a week that goes by without recommendation threads or impressions of new interesting games. The monthly eShop ERA thread also highlights the relevant releases.

If you can browse on the internet it take less than 15secs to come up with a solid list of eShop recommendations ...something that most people would do before spending 300 bucks on a console.

Yes you could read those threads or Google a list yourself but a modern day store front should have some level of curation baked in. Every other system does. Hell even the 3ds and wiiU had curation systems in place.

Sasaud

Oct 28, 2017
I think there are 2 problems with the eshop but none of them are the games (unless u got all the other systems and u buy ur games there).
the store needs updating and the sales should be more aggressive.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
No Virtual Console but there is a ton of great retro content available now on Switch eShop if you know where to look. For 70-90s systems specifically:

Collections
  • Arcade Classic Anniversary Collection (Konami/Hamster/Gotch)
  • Atari Flashback Classics (Atari/Code Mystics)
  • Capcom Beat 'Em Up Bundle (Capcom)
  • Castlevania Anniversary Collection (Konami/M2)
  • Collection of Mana (Square Enix/M2)
  • Contra Anniversary Collection (Konami/M2)
  • Grandia HD Collection (GungHo/Sickhead)
  • Mega Man Legacy Collection (Capcom/Digital Eclipse)
  • Mega Man Legacy Collection 2 (Capcom/NowPro)
  • Mega Man X Legacy Collection (Capcom/NowPro/M2)
  • Mega Man X Legacy Collection 2 (Capcom/NowPro)
  • Namco Museum (Bandai Namco/Gotch)
  • SNK 40th Anniversary Collection (NISA/SNK/Digital Eclipse)
  • Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection (Capcom/Digital Eclipse)
Retro lines
  • ACA NeoGeo (Hamster/Gotch)
  • Arcade Archives (Hamster/Gotch)
  • Psikyo shmup ports (Zero.Div)
  • Sega Ages (Sega/M2)
Remakes & Remasters
  • Dragon Quest I-III (Square Enix/Beetribe)
  • Final Fantasy VII-IX (Square Enix/Dotemu/Guild Studio)
  • Ikaruga (Nicalis/Treasure/Zereo)
  • The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (Nintendo/Grezzo)
  • The Ninja Saviors: Return of the Warriors (ININ/Taito/NatsumeAtari)
  • R-Type Dimensions EX (Tozai/Esquadra)
  • Romancing SaGa 2-3 (Square Enix/ArtePiazza)
  • Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers (Capcom)
  • Wild Guns Reloaded (Natsume/NatsumeAtari)
  • Yu-No: A girl who chants love at the bound of this world (Spike Chunsoft/.Mages)
Retro sequels
  • Blaster Master Zero (inticreates)
  • Blaster Master Zero 2 (inticreates)
  • Mega Man 11 (Capcom)
  • Raiden V: Director's Cut (UFO/Moss)
  • Sonic Mania (Sega/PadogaWest/Headcannon)
  • Super Mario Maker 2 (Nintendo)
Nintendo Switch Online (subscription)
  • Nintendo Entertainment System (Nintendo/NERD)
  • Super Nintendo Entertainment System (Nintendo/NERD)
There's likely stuff I'm forgetting too, honestly it's overwhelming. I think Switch is pretty easily one of the best consoles ever if you're into this sort of stuff and definitely the best console on the market today for it.

Last edited:

Nightbird

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I wish I was you OP.

I over here in the meantime am trying my hardest not to overspend my money on the eshop because there's so much I wanna buy.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
If you're on the market for RPGs, SaGa Scarlet Grace launches by tomorrow with a 20% discount (from $30), and it's meaty.

Chirotera

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Someday I hope I'm financially well enough to have hundreds of dollars to throw at something I know nothing about just because. And then go to a forum to complain about it not having anything I like.

Duck-Zilla

Feb 21, 2018
This thread is basically like the eshop. You have to go trough pages of filler content to actually have some good recommendations

HOUSEJoseph

Oct 27, 2017
Step 1) Use Metacritic.
Step 2) Select Switch.
Step 3) Click All-Time Best Switch games and pick from the hundreds of quality games from that list.

I don't see what the problem is here.

Jun 17, 2018
There are loads of games on Switch. Did you literally buy one without knowing what games you wanted with it? Seems short sighted to me...

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
I'm 95% physical for my Switch games, of which I own 32 physical games. That said, in what way can you honestly feel the eshop is empty? There's a ton of stuff on there as of today.

leburn98

Nov 1, 2017
dude bought a Switch to watch youtube and netflix.

giphy.gif
In 2019, I don't see why people care so much about these streaming apps on a game console. For starters, it's very difficult not to buy a TV without smart features built in. Even if you have a "dumb" TV, Roku and Firesticks are ridiculously cheap and Amazon is practically giving them away at this point. On the go, most are likely to have a smartphone (or tablet) with better capabilities and screen than a Switch. On top of that, most are likely to have a cell with them at every moment while on the road. I for one always have my smartphone with me, the same can't be said for the Switch.

Stevo

Jan 29, 2019
Thought this was gonna be about the interface being empty, not the library. LOL.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
You, an intellectual: Switch has no games lol

Me, an imbecile:
cuMq51P.jpg

Seriously though, I'm not even sure how it's possible to completely ignore the hundreds of titles in the eShop that match the description of games you're looking for.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Yes you could read those threads or Google a list yourself but a modern day store front should have some level of curation baked in. Every other system does. Hell even the 3ds and wiiU had curation systems in place.
Not really what OP is saying though - you would have to be willfully ignorant to browse on ERA regularly while waiting for years to purchase a console - not knowing about some of the eShop classic or where to find recommendations.

You would have a point if we are talking about a young or very old player with next to no internet and console experience ...these kind of threads in 2019 are just mindboggling to me.

It never was easier to find impressions about games or to have access to review scores and relevant data.