• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
I've wanted one how close is it to the size of a vita?
how-small-is-the-switch-lite-size-comparison-gba-ds-lite-3ds-xl-switch-psp-and-vita.jpg

Pretty close. About the same thickness as the OG Vita model too.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
It's a pretty common experience for me as well. Theres not a lot of really strong titles, and the price of everything feels about 30-50% higher than it should be. So most often its 10 minutes of browsing, maybe adding something to my wishlist, then closing the store. I think Nintendo is doing better than we can expect though. It's a portable console. Theres just a lot that can't be ported, plus all their portable devs are having to learn more modern game design and it's just taking time. If you don't enjoy Nintendos quirky ideas like Ring Fit and don't want to play old games then just realize it probably won't be your daily driver.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
I dont care about streaming APPS when the Wi Fi and Battery life is so shit (on og hardware)
I cant even get the thing to work unless its next to the router

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Can't disagree more.

Just off the top of my head, I have:

Super Smash Bros Ultimate
Odyssey
BotW
MK8D
Splatoon 2
Xenoblade Chronicles 2
Mario+Rabbids: Kingdom Battle
Luigi's Mansion 3
Super Mario Maker 2
Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze
Super Mario Party
Mario Tennis Aces
Astral Chain
Fire Emblem: Three Houses
Link's Awakening
Octopath Traveler
+ a shit ton of indies, arcade titles, NES, and SNES games, as well as a lot of Genesis/Master System titles.

If you can't find plenty to play in that list, I'm questioning why you even bought a Nintendo console to begin with.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
It's a pretty common experience for me as well. Theres not a lot of really strong titles, and the price of everything feels about 30-50% higher than it should be. So most often its 10 minutes of browsing, maybe adding something to my wishlist, then closing the store. I think Nintendo is doing better than we can expect though. It's a portable console. Theres just a lot that can't be ported, plus all their portable devs are having to learn more modern game design and it's just taking time. If you don't enjoy Nintendos quirky ideas like Ring Fit and don't want to play old games then just realize it probably won't be your daily driver.
You can't buy Ring Fit on the eShop so that was pretty awkward one to end on.

TalonJH

Oct 27, 2017
Louisville, KY
If anything, I think there are maybe too many games in the eShop without having a review system but It's not that big of a problem for me, honestly. I get the complaint about apps though if you are coming from other consoles.

Deleted member 5764

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hope Nintendo reads this thread, tracks down OP, and restricts his Switch so that Hulu is the only thing he can see on the eShop going forward.

Globule

Banned
May 9, 2018
People have smartphones they bring literally everywhere that are more powerful, have better screens, batteries and up-to-date YouTube applications yet they still want YouTube on their Switch.

I. Cannot. Understand.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Can't disagree more.

Just off the top of my head, I have:

Super Smash Bros Ultimate
Odyssey
BotW
MK8D
Splatoon 2
Xenoblade Chronicles 2
Mario+Rabbids: Kingdom Battle
Luigi's Mansion 3
Super Mario Maker 2
Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze
Super Mario Party
Mario Tennis Aces
Astral Chain
Fire Emblem: Three Houses
Link's Awakening
Octopath Traveler
+ a shit ton of indies, arcade titles, NES, and SNES games, as well as a lot of Genesis/Master System titles.

If you can't find plenty to play in that list, I'm questioning why you even bought a Nintendo console to begin with.

In addition to this list you have super high quality stuff include

Ori and the Blind Forest
Cuphead
Into the Breach
Boxboy + Boxgirl
Bayonetta 2
Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate

Like if none of this stuff appeals to you (which it's totally fine if it doesn't) there is no point in owning a Switch.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I recently bought a Switch and found the eshop awful, it was hard to find anything, I just wanted to browse a bunch of games and see if anything stood out but I couldn't seem to find a way.

Nano-Nandy

Mar 26, 2019
"Empty" because of barely any multimedia apps and no Virtual Console (ignoring NES/SNES online apps, NeoGeo, Arcade, etc).

Lets also ignore the over 1,000 games on it too.

Yeah...

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I recently bought a Switch and found the eshop awful, it was hard to find anything, I just wanted to browse a bunch of games and see if anything stood out but I couldn't seem to find a way.
There's a "featured" tab, but yeah - the Eshop itself is really awful and Nintendo needs to update it ASAP. The Wii U one was much better.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
I will say it's downright astonishing how much apparent garbage there is on the eShop. The Wii U and 3DS eShops were bad as well, but the Switch's success has made it a real shovelware gold rush of sorts.

Altera

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
The eshop is flooded with games. To the point where finding things is kind of a hassle.

Bad thread title is bad.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I will say it's downright astonishing how much apparent garbage there is on the eShop. The Wii U and 3DS eShops were bad as well, but the Switch's success has made it a real shovelware gold rush of sorts.

Conversely, there's a ton of good software and much of it is priced to move, sometimes for literal pennies on the dollar.

There's rarely a week that I don't nab something on the e-Shop sale and I am constantly buying stuff for ridiculously low prices.

Deleted member 925

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Please take a moment to really think this over.

And discover why it's absolutely not true and makes no sense.

Honestly the people who make those comparisons, who also said Smash on Switch was just a Wii U port or Splatoon 2 was a Wii U port, are just arguing in bad faith. Basically trying to bait people.

3 years in and people still using the same arguments. They tried.

Cugel

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 7, 2017
It's overflowing with good games. It is a pain to search however.

Manzoli

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
I deleted my wishlist because it became so long that I got overwhelmed by it and mentally set myself free. The eShop is why I am finally buying a 512GB SD card.

I review my wishlist every now and then to delete some games and let only the ones I'm 100% sure I wanna play. Still have 100+ games there...

Deleted member 11008

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
"Empty" because of barely any multimedia apps and no Virtual Console (ignoring NES/SNES online apps, NeoGeo, Arcade, etc).

Hamster's Arcade Archives is truly a VC (and multi-platform!) successor IMHO (at least for the Neo-Geo and Arcade stuff the Wii VC got). I think that now every publisher want publish their own retro-games something like the VC is not feasible.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
To the people that hate how easy it is for companies to overcharge for things or making money by tricking people into buying things, or:

To the people that always talk about how they hate capitalism and how bad consumerism for consumerisms' sake is:

Just know that, a poster here that has been a member since the first month of launch, and has over 1,000 posts here on one of the most prominent gaming communities on the internet outside of Reddit...just spent at least $200 on a system without much of a clue on the existing library and services.

I don't have a PS4 or XB1 and yet I can probably name every exclusive they've had this gen...because I've been reading a videogame messaging board for over 2 years.

Is this how people spend money? And this is someone that isn't new to gaming...I don't understand the thought process. I also like how every Switch exclusive on the last three pages is ignored. In a year like 2019 where Nintendo has had their best output. And people are saying the eshop needs curation? Resetera is curation for all gaming content...how can you buy a Switch in November 2019 and be unsure on what to buy?

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
To the people that hate how easy it is for companies to overcharge for things or making money by tricking people into buying things, or:

To the people that always talk about how they hate capitalism and how bad consumerism for consumerisms' sake is:

Just know that, a poster here that has been a member since the first month of launch, and has over 1,000 posts here on one of the most prominent gaming communities on the internet outside of Reddit...just spent at least $200 on a system without much of a clue on the existing library and services.

I don't have a PS4 or XB1 and yet I can probably name every exclusive they've had this gen...because I've been reading a videogame messaging board for over 2 years.

Is this how people spend money? And this is someone that isn't new to gaming...I don't understand the thought process. I also like how every Switch exclusive on the last three pages is ignored. In a year like 2019 where Nintendo has had their best output. And people are saying the eshop needs curation? Resetera is curation for all gaming content...how can you buy a Switch in November 2019 and be unsure on what to buy?
This.

Reminds me of people who love to play the ignorant card in threads with "who?" posts even when they know about the person or could look it up in less than 5secs.

Just say that you don't care about the person or news, no need to act extra ignorant when you have access to the information.

A active ERA member having no idea about potential Switch eShop purchases when we have monthly eShop thread with recommendations, weekly eShop sales threads with recommendations, indie Directs.....

It would be something else if the post was just asking for recommendations as a new Switch owner or that the eShop navigation is lackluster.....nothing wrong with that.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
This.

Reminds me of people who love to play the ignorant card in threads with "who?" posts even when they know about the person or could look it up in less than 5secs.

Just say that you don't care about the person or news, no need to act extra ignorant when you have access to the information.

A active ERA member having no idea about potential Switch eShop purchases when we have monthly eShop thread with recommendations, weekly eShop sales threads with recommendations, indie Directs.....

It would be something else if the post was just asking for recommendations as a new Switch owner or that the eShop navigation is lackluster.....nothing wrong with that.

OMG YES!
(I thought about retweeting your prior post in this thread as I totally agreed, but I wanted to add my outrage LOL)

I always say, I love the modern smartphone and the access to the internet it provides...I always say "smartphones expose dumbpeople"...people literally need to be spoon-fed EVERYTHING...or, psuedo-concern troll when they aren't confident enough to just say they like something that isn't popular or don't like something that is popular.

You have people posting here for 2 years and you didn't know that the Switch doesn't have VC or Netflix? Really? Meanwhile people are getting free Nintendo games and such in the gifting thread.

MadeULook

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Washington State
One of the few things I hate about the Switch is the god awful eShop.There is a lot of good stuff on there but you got to go through shovels of garbage to find any of it. Search is absolutely useless at times as well.

Empty though? If nothing appeals to you (and that's a-okay) why did you buy the system to begin with? Did you do any research on the Switch beforehand?

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I can at least name another 10-15 good rpgs on Switch:
The Caligula Effect Overdose

Switch is my jrpg machine :P

Wait, is caligula Effect good? I heard it was.. uhh.... pretty bad which turned me off from getting it. I liked the style though, so I'd like a reason to get it eventually.

OT: I disagree about the lack of games. There are tons of games, though there is also a good amount of late ports which may not be super appealing to someone coming in having played a good chunk of them especially if you're not as super invested in nintendo's first party output. Who buys a console without looking up available games for the hardware first though?

Last edited:

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
Wait, is caligula Effect good? I heard it was.. uhh.... pretty bad which turned me off from getting it. I liked the style though, so I'd like a reason to get it eventually.

It is very easy for people to dismiss a niche game, especially that the original version suffered from several issues.

Overdose is a lot of fun and has many QoL improvements, and the story/characters are as good as (if not better) than any Persona game depending on your preferences. but i guess some won't like that there aren't enough "comedy" in the game. regardless, it tackles modern issues for young people as you can expect from a former Persona writer, and as time goes by you will learn more about those characters (much more than you will initially think), the game is lengthy too with additional content for this version including the possibility of siding with the villians.

It has no Persona-like activities though, and the game play is more linear or storytelling-based, there is no calendar and freedom to do what you want. i liked the characters and the art style was wonderful to me:

The%20Caligula%20Effect_%20Overdose_20190224135603-noscale.jpg

(Notice the use of grey).

iKhameleon

Oct 27, 2017
Can't really agree. There's a ton of great games on there. Unless you're one of those "it's all crap!" people who hate everything. I just bought Ori on sale the other day and it's scratching a metroidvania itch I didn't know I had. Most gaming fun I've had in awhile.

That said, the shop itself does need a redesign badly. I honestly rarely bother browsing through it. I generally know exactly what I'm looking for beforehand and search by name, then buy it or add it to my wishlist.

Wayoshi

Oct 27, 2017
I thought this was about the bad UI from the title lol.

saying the shop is actually weak on content... that's a take.

legend166

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I always think it's weird that people who actively visit a video game forum actually want to use these online stores for discoverability.

Did you use to walk into Gamestop and read the back of cases to figure out what to buy?

donny2112

Oct 27, 2017
I really tried my best here to not make this thread confrontational
Based on your OP, the issue is that the standards you were expecting from Wii and Wii U in terms of streaming apps and VC were not there. If you had said that in the title (e.g. "Just bought a Nintendo Switch and.... where are the streaming apps and VC?"), there wouldn't have been any confrontational issues, and you would've gotten a whole lot of "Yep, I agree" posts. Seems simple to expect pitchforks and torches when claiming that the eShop is empty, when it has a very large digital library of games. As a learning point for next time, try to make your title fit the OP's points from an objective perspective (i.e. if someone else was reading it). If the two don't seem to match, rewrite one, the other, or both. This is a key point in any written communication, by the way, and working on it will be very helpful in improving written communication skills for your entire life.

Manzoli

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Also, what i can agree and bothers me to hell is the eShop performance... It's awful!

(It's laggy and unresponsive, that's what I mean)

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I generally find it much easier to use the eShop via https://www.nintendo.com/games/game-guide/ than from the actual Switch.

No RPGs? There are 477 games in the RPG category. Nintendo alone has published several RPGs for it this year alone - Pokémon Sword & Shield, Fire Emblem: 3 Houses, the enhanced version of Dragon Quest XI, Astral Chain, Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3, Little Town Hero, and Daemon Ex Machina. The system is only about 2.5 years old. This is an unheard of amount of content for such a new system.

Yes, many of the games on the Switch are ports, but the thing is a portable system so there's a lot of value in ports of good games. It's like a Vita with more power, better 3rd party support, and with much stronger 1st party support. It's awesome.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
No RPGs? There are 477 games in the RPG category.
In fairness...genre categorisation on the Switch eShop is a mess. Those hundreds of RPGs seem to include pretty much everything with any kind of gameplay element that originated in an RPG. Some games that are categorised as "RPG": Neon Chrome, Letter Quest Remastered, Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2, Crypt of the Necrodancer, Punch Club and Terraria. Those games do have RPG-like elements to various extents, but I don't think anyone would classify them as RPGs if they had to pick a genre for them. If someone said they really enjoyed Final Fantasy VII and Dragon Quest XI and asked for more games like that I don't think there's a human in the world who would suggest Neon Chrome.

It seems like developers have been given complete freedom to tick whatever genre boxes they like for their games, and at least some of them are taking advantage of that by ticking any remotely relevant box to get their game to show up in more searches.

This is not to say that there aren't tons of RPGs, of course. There's hundreds of unambiguous RPGs on Switch. There just aren't quite as many as the eShop says there are (and the same is true for other genres - there's lots of everything but in some cases the classification is dubious or just wrong).