• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
I found the first half way better than the second.

You end up way overpowered.

The story is better in the second half but you lose all sense of danger which to be was the main appeal I put all the upgrades back to the defaults And went back to more basic weapons to get it back but was still too powerful.

My recommendation play it on hard at the minimum.

Recently started a new playthrough on survival ii. Much better. I wish the survival difficulties were available when I did my first playthrough.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did y'all mess around with the bike controls? It feels too sensitive to me on default.

Oct 26, 2017
It's a great game. This is Sony Bend's first open world (and it shows early on) but you can see the confidence grow in the developer the longer the game goes on. It's a rough start but it gets so good. The likely sequel (final secret ending) is going to be mind blowing if they have ironed out the glitches. I do understand the issues some had with the glitches day one but the multiple (and multiple) patches have made it a non factor. The hordes are crazy good.

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
I really don't get the complaints that the first blahblah hours are boring. I was totally engrossed from the very beginning and it was the first game I've ever platinumed. I played on Hard, took my time, explored and looted at every chance, and treated every encounter with the fear and caution it deserved.

In the beginning every single zombie is a major threat but as you progress you'll eventually be gunning down vast hordes with ease. Don't go in expecting to be running and gunning like an FPS from the very start and you might actually enjoy yourself. Days Gone is 3rd favorite game this year behind Ring Fit and Death Stranding.

Deleted member 30544

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
i asked which one i should get on the Black Friday Sale thread. According to all the kind responses i got , i was between this and A Plague Tale.

This thread sold me already to Days Gone, so thanks.

Now, i need to know, according to the content included in the Deluxe edition, is worth the extra $5 or i better buy the DLC for horizon or Spiderman (i just have $25, so if i buy the normal edition i will have $5 to spare LOL)

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
I just bought this game too and I have no idea what gyro assisted aiming is and a google search didn't reveal much. Can anyone elaborate a little bit or point me somewhere to find more info?
Thanks!
Motion Sensor Function Aiming

This feature allows the player to make fine adjustments to aiming by rotating the PlayStation 4 Dualshock 4 controller. It is set to '0' by default (off), but when set to values from '1' to '10', the sensitivity of the Motion Sensor Function Aiming can be adjusted.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
I'm thinking of just buying digital instead of getting a physical copy at GameStop.

Do you think with backwards compatibility hopefully being a thing going forward, that it makes more sense to go digital?

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I really don't get the complaints that the first blahblah hours are boring. I was totally engrossed from the very beginning and it was the first game I've ever platinumed. I played on Hard, took my time, explored and looted at every chance, and treated every encounter with the fear and caution it deserved.

In the beginning every single zombie is a major threat but as you progress you'll eventually be gunning down vast hordes with ease. Don't go in expecting to be running and gunning like an FPS from the very start and you might actually enjoy yourself. Days Gone is 3rd favorite game this year behind Ring Fit and Death Stranding.
The story in the first 5/6 hours or so is a little slow, but its just how they wanted to have it build up.

IvanSlavkov

Oct 27, 2017
Bulgaria
i asked which one i should get on the Black Friday Sale thread. According to all the kind responses i got , i was between this and A Plague Tale.

This thread sold me already to Days Gone, so thanks.

Now, i need to know, according to the content included in the Deluxe edition, is worth the extra $5 or i better buy the DLC for horizon or Spiderman (i just have $25, so if i buy the normal edition i will have $5 to spare LOL)
Get Frozen Wilds definitely. It is almost a seperate game. As for DG i don think the deluxe edition is worth it, you only get early access to things which you get later on and a couple of gas tank skins, i think.

As for OP, enjoy the gam man. It starts slow but once it picks its a joy to play and when you take your first horde, you will see the goods the game has to offer.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ

I think your taste line up with mine, going to get DG based on this.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
It's a fun game that really starts going once the map opens up and you get the second major area. Stealth is key. You can't really take a long of damage early on, nor can you run very fast. Do side missions. Gives you a good amount of XP, supplies, upgrades, credits, and more save points which will make it much easier to get though the game. Try not to do stuff at night if you can. Freakers are nocturnal. Watch your gas too.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017

The game's pacing is just all over the place, and the first 10 horus are the worst part of it. It tries almost immediately to give the player the "feels" without it feeling earned. TLOU did something similiar, but even ignoring the massive difference in the quality of the scripts, TLOU is a much leaner game that can be completed uner 14 hours, whereas DG is at the very least 30 hours long.

It's really the 3rd camp where the game feels like it actually begins. The storytelling finally becomes much more straightforward, which results in a lot less clunky & jarring moments. The game finally trusts the player to go on longer, more complex missions.

But then towards the end... it breaks again. By the time you finally actually end up liking Deacon and having a good time with the mechanics, the game slows to a crawl right before the final couple of hours. What bothers me the most as well, is how absurdly late the hordes are "officially" unlocked to the player - by the time it became an "activity" logged in my quest menu, I cleared at least 3 hordes, but of course they didn't count because the game didn't consider them an activity yet. Because of that, and the fatigue from the poor pacing, I ended up only doing the hordes needed by the story. Which is a shame, because clearing hordes IS actually fucking fun as hell, and shows DG at its absolute best. But again, it takes like 25 hours to get there. Which is pretty crazy.

Deleted member 19767

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So I heard the first half of the game is a bit of a slog...what should I know before jumping in to this?

Go into witg middling expectations and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.
The story is quite good but has pacing issues.
Gameplay is quite good but has repetition/wear-out issues.

The worst part of the game is Deacon.

Personally, I really enjoyed it and it will no doubt get a position on my GOTY list. But it's far from perfect.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017

Personally, I really enjoyed it and it will no doubt get a position on my GOTY list. But it's far from perfect.
Yeahhhh that isnt true at all.

Oct 31, 2017
First hours are just slow and secondary characters are not that interesting
After that, the game is really cool and fun with good characters and story

I'd agree with this. It was a little slow at the start, but you start to get into the gameplay loop of destroying nests, finding outposts, upgrading your bike, and it quickly gets to the point that you don't really want to fast travel because traversing on the bike is fun and nets you good items to find on the way. Plus, it's great when you're driving around at night and all of a sudden stumble on a horde and haul ass out of there.

It's a very fun game, a great game despite having some rough edges, and a game I wanted to plat despite how much time I had already spent with it.

I found the first half way better than the second.

You end up way overpowered.

The story is better in the second half but you lose all sense of danger which to be was the main appeal I put all the upgrades back to the defaults And went back to more basic weapons to get it back but was still too powerful.

My recommendation play it on hard at the minimum.

Recently started a new playthrough on survival ii. Much better. I wish the survival difficulties were available when I did my first playthrough.

I can see someone having issue with that, but I also think that there's a real sense of progression through that. You're underpowered considerably at the beginning, but the upgrades really will help and make you more versatile and powerful throughout the game. So it does pay off to explore, do side missions (and credit where it's due: if you're the kind of person who feels like side missions, even when fun, can feel superfluous to the main story, this makes all side missions feel necessary to the main story of the game), establish trust with camps, etc.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds good. I like to get creative and avoid direct combat, I just find it more fun to 'game' the enemies.

Im playing on Survivor difficulty my first time, and early in I had to clear out a bandit camp. Using rocks, I was able to force confrontations between zombies and the bandits, while I was moving between hidey-spots and would stealth takedown the remainders. It was tense and had me thinking, "this is great!" the entire time.

TheOnlyJ

Oct 29, 2019
I bought the game, too. Seems pretty o.k. at 3 hours in but Deacon St. John may be the most generic protag I have seen since Watchdogs. Hopefully he gets interesting because "biker guy" is not a personality.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Story isn't good and the game is extremely long, the beginning is also a bit of the mess and the main attraction of the game came pretty late into it.

There's some fun to be had but it's not particularly a great game, at least for me.

iamandy

Nov 6, 2017
Brasil

Deacon is the best part of the game.

Deleted member 10908

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Great game, loved it. Its the only game I platinumed. Everything gets better after the first couple of hours, even cutscene quality for some reason. If you like story driven games then youre probably going to like this game

Oct 25, 2017
58328v7cp1w21.gif

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Im playing on Survivor difficulty my first time, and early in I had to clear out a bandit camp. Using rocks, I was able to force confrontations between zombies and the bandits, while I was moving between hidey-spots and would stealth takedown the remainders. It was tense and had me thinking, "this is great!" the entire time.
Love it!

I'll probably go for Days Gone since it sounds like it will scratch an itch, just waiting for a BF deal now, twenty quid will be my sweet spot.

Aug 15, 2019
yeah...for sure will pick this up this week due to the sale price. I will finish death stranding first then give this puppy a go, thanks ERA.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017