• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I use Instagram everyday and I will never get these photos.

I'm not a photographer so I probably 'dont get it' but I can't stand photos like this one because they're so fake. Its like uhh, someone was walking behind you, took a photo and you happened to be sitting right there? Am I supposed to look at the sea or your back? If so, how come there are tons of photos like this one? So many questions!
you seem to be just struggling with the concept of photos in general lol

Dinjooh

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
People treat Thailand like a giant frat party. It's stupid.

And lol at how every travel thread we get people here saying the internet exists so people don't need to travel anymore. What a sad way to view the world. I flew probably about 100 times in 2018. A lot for work but also a lot for travel. Went to Thailand 7 or 8 times this year alone. Had a great time traveling the world and looking at YouTube or photos online doesn't compare to real life.

Does my not owning a car, taking public transportation extensively, taking trains instead of flying whenever possible, and living in a small apartment offset the damage I'm doing by flying at all?

Sure, you're emitting less than if you had a car and a big house. You're still way way way above any sustainable amount no matter how minimalist a daily life you lead.

pj-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So long story short I went down to the islands in the south and found out the most famous beach Maya Bay was closed, for those who don't remember it was the location featured in the movie The Beach with Leo DiCaprio.

5000 tourists a day but the Thai government closed it off because it was completely ruined and now has returned to its natural beauty again and it will likely remain closed for another three years.

I was shocked to see so many young people from the west many of whom seem highly educated just treat these places like their own personal playground, these are the same folks who give moral lectures on the environment when they are at home but stops caring when they are abroad.

I saw so many tourist just throw trash everywhere even though there are plenty of places to dispose of bottles and trash nearby.

It just pisses me off and had to rant on it for a bit but a video was made on the topic a few days ago.

Are they really "the same people"? I hate that expression

I would call myself a lazy environmentalist (recycle, compost, mainly take public transportation, still own a car and eat meat though) at home in the US and I treat every place I've been abroad with even more respect. I stay on paths, never ever litter, never take or break things.

From what I've seen in my relatively limited travels, domestic tourists in each country seem to have the least respect out of anyone, followed by large Chinese tour groups.

OP
OP
norwegiandude86
Feb 3, 2018
A plane ticket to Thailand doesn't sound environment-friendly to begin with

Also true and one I am guilty off but I enjoy traveling and taking a cruise ship would actually pollute more given that Airplanes are becoming more fuel efficient.

So until someone invents an effective way to travel besides airplanes that is free of pollution airplanes is what we are stuck with.

What I was talking about is ruining natural areas that had very little pollution and indiscriminatly pollute while there is a way of avoiding it.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Word. When I was in Bangkok the large tour groups of Chinese tourists were, at least on my watch, the worst. Also they didn't know what personal space is apparently.

OP
OP
norwegiandude86
Feb 3, 2018
Word. When I was in Bangkok the large tour groups of Chinese tourists were, at least on my watch, the worst. Also they didn't know what personal space is apparently.

Don't even get me started on the Chinese tour groups I got pushed, showed and they tried cut in line while at customs and the border officer wanted none of it told them to go back and let me through since I was first, they did not take it well lots of Chinese expletives (i suspect).

Blackie

Oct 25, 2017
Wherever
Reconciling tourism (which I conceptually love) with environmental protection (pretty much my #1 life concern besides genetic engineering/A.I) is hard for me...

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
This isn't a tourist thing this is a human race thing. I've been all over the world and everywhere you go you see both locals and tourists not giving a shit about the environment.

Deleted member 9986

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People suck, police is ineffective because the gov needs to both regulate tourism while also not give the officers too many opportunities to rip off tourists (corruption).
Still maybe a special taskforce can hand out fines, technically the Thai laws are pretty strict on this stuff on beaches from what I've experienced.

I was implying pedo stuff. The same way these sickos would hint at it publicly but never say it out loud too clearly so you can't throw them under the bus and report them.
Most go to meet adults, not children. I don't know if you're data is anecdotal (then it is at odds with mine) or statistically, in which case I want to see those numbers.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Mass tourism is a massive problem. Its ridiculous that migration shoulders most of the negative press, when I would say in many ways mass tourism can be more destructive - including engendering a pretty problematic form of development.

Yes, I remember I saw a fucking guy ping his cigarette into the water when we were doing a boat tour of some islands off Krabi Town. I was dumbfounded by his callousness and stupidity.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
I remember when I was at the louvre, the tour guide specifically told people the blinds were closed to protect the paintings and artifacts in the bedroom. Some asshole tourist opened the blinds to get better lighting for his photograph. I just looked at him in disgust.

Deleted member 33887

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Does my not owning a car, taking public transportation extensively, taking trains instead of flying whenever possible, and living in a small apartment offset the damage I'm doing by flying at all?

One round trip international flight in the US to Asia is almost equal to an entire year's worth of commuting by car (2-2.5 metric tons of carbon). If you live in a small apartment, you're saving maybe 4-5 international flights worth of carbon compared to a large home. You're probably in the top 5-10% of carbon footprints if you travel that much.

adamsappel

Oct 27, 2017
My home in Montgomery County, Maryland has taxed plastic bags at 5¢ each. It's the most effective tax I've ever seen. People carry their own tote bags, or forgo bags at all and carry groceries in their arms. I don't notice loose bags in the wind much anymore. In fact, for all the people complaining about trash on the streets, if you're younger than 45 you might not remember how bad it used to be. They had to invent cartoon characters and fake Native Americans to shame people into not throwing their refuse anywhere they happened to be standing. We made great strides while I was growing up. Public trashcans used to be more prevalent, but after 9/11 everybody was afraid they were holding bombs and they removed a great percentage of them. Most of the time I see trash it's piled up around a receptacle. We need to make recycling mandatory and easy, and a public utility.

boi

Nov 1, 2017
Look at this remote beach we found. Not a human for miles.
This is the worst of the worst.

I was on holidays for the past few weeks and I swear the insanity that I witnessed of taking instagram pictures on the beach has reached ridiculous levels. There was one palm tree that had people literally lining up to take pictures next to it because it was ideal to lay on top of it. This shit is getting ridiculous and its fake af. Why cant people just enjoy taking photos as they happen in the moment.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
In the past, taking vacation photos was a personal affair. At most you'd show these to your friends and relatives.

Now, it's all about accruing internet cred, even if you're just doing the same thing as thousands of other insta accounts. It's an arms race to capture as many meme moments as possible because we've developed a qualitative measure of a "worthwhile life": likes. The reduction of personal experience to numbers is the death knell of internal contentment.

mAcOdIn

Oct 27, 2017
We need to make recycling mandatory and easy, and a public utility.
While I don't disagree there's a huge educational hurdle we need to overcome regarding recycling. I work for an employer that wants to recycle , and separating materials before placing them in the correct bins is literally part of the job we're paid to do and yet 90% or so of the people are either so ignorant, stupid or plain, I dunno, spitefully rebellious(?) that we then have to pay people to go through it again and sort out their shit. It's fucking ridiculous.

I tried explaining it to one employee once and just lamented "it's recycling not fucking alchemy," I can't imagine how bad the ratio must be for public recycling bins.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Lol seriously this. People should see rivers in Indonesia (in the non-tourist spots)

The attitude is changing there too though. Especially considering plastic and that was really needed. If you did groceries there they gave you like 20 plastic bags.

citarum-river-trash-and-pollution.jpg
Yeah tourists can be bad, especially since cheap air travel has, uh, democratized the tourist destinations where the type who would previously not get off their front porch and chuck cans of beer onto the road, are now also hanging around in Thailand.

But, it's nowhere near the problem that SEA constitutes itself. I like how we don't have plastic straws anymore where I live to "combat the plastic islands in the Pacific ocean". But none of our straws would get into the ocean anyway. Those floating plastic islands are for the majority created by some SEA countries chucking all their trash in the river and calling it a day. (It's still good to use less plastic obviously so I do support it)

Last edited:

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017
shit pisses me off OP. Close the beach for good imo. If people can't treat it right, they don't deserve to go.

Reeks

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
One of my part time gigs includes cleaning. I'm always baffled at how when people miss the trash can, they just say "fuck it" and leave their trash on the floor *next* to the trash can... I guess this attitude is probably amplified when peeps are in vaca mode.