• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
The "no open world game has physics like Botw" crowd should definitely check out some of the videos on youtube showing what you can do in JC4.

I didn't like Just Cause 3, but the new stuff in JC4 like calling in a ship via supply drop and transforming it into a floating balloon boat almost sold me on the game. Feels like 2 gens ahead of what you can do with physics in Botw.

Nov 14, 2017
also anybody complaining about performance issues should know that according to Jim Sterling, Square-Enix meddled excessively with Just Cause 3 to the point that it started as a F2P game (as seen in its earliest screenshot leaks) and had to be converted to a $60 game mid-development, which would explain the performance issues. Avalanche has been surprisingly upfront about the problems, even highlighting an article that calls attention to them in one of their recent bulletin videos

I'm still waiting on launch impressions before I buy, but it looks like it fixes all the issues I had with JC3.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
Why do they keep making these games without co-op? I'm never gonna buy them until they do. :|

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I dont know whats more depressing, that someone looked at that cutscene and approved it, or the thought that nobody reviewed it.

Heh, that gif uses trailer footage with the stuttering added on top. But apparently the game itself wasn't too far off at times, especially when a lot of explosions were going on.

Honestly, what I really want them to do is reskin Mercenaries and just call it Just Cause.

I've been wanting literally this for years now. Still waiting, sadly.

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
it kind of hurts me how little I care about this considering how into 2 I was.

After trying 3 and not really digging it, I think I'm done unless this gets some really positive reviews and such.

Bwooduhs

Oct 25, 2017
Curious about this, like most people I loved 2 but 3 never truly grabbed me.

Will be interesting to see how I feel about this considering it's coming right after Odyssey and Red Dead.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
Meanwhile I'm glad there isn't co-op.
I guess it's ok that you don't have anyone to play with, but for people that do, it's a glaring omission. Playing a game like this, who gives a shit about that awesome stunt you just pulled off if your friend can't witness it (or even better, help plan it)?

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
I guess it's ok that you don't have anyone to play with, but for people that do, it's a glaring omission. Playing a game like this, who gives a shit about that awesome stunt you just pulled off if your friend can't witness it (or even better, help plan it)?

True, to some degree, but some people just don't want to play with others or like co-op.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
True, to some degree, but some people just don't want to play with others or like co-op.
Drop-in co-op exists. I'm not saying make it mandatory. Almost no game does that anymore. Just having the option to plan out a series of elaborate events with a friend and then nail the payoff is just too good to ignore.

ApeEscaper

Oct 27, 2017
Bangladeshi
The "no open world game has physics like Botw" crowd should definitely check out some of the videos on youtube showing what you can do in JC4.

I didn't like Just Cause 3, but the new stuff in JC4 like calling in a ship via supply drop and transforming it into a floating balloon boat almost sold me on the game. Feels like 2 gens ahead of what you can do with physics in Botw.
Eh JC just gives more tools with physics on for you to mess with but nothing really impressive

Zelda BOTW is pretty impressive so much stuff you can do and this was all done on Wii U hardware

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not buying until I know how the upgrade system works. If it's like 3 I won't bother at all. Like 2 and I'll consider it even if this game is reminisicent of a slightly updated JC3

Fiel

Oct 30, 2017
After gigantic messed on PS4 at launch day i will just keep my eye on it and hopefully 33% sales drop like Tomb Raider come soon enough.

Nov 14, 2017
I'm not buying until I know how the upgrade system works. If it's like 3 I won't bother at all. Like 2 and I'll consider it even if this game is reminisicent of a slightly updated JC3
Supposedly it involves doing side quests for various people, including but not limited to stuff as simple as stunt jumps. It doesn't sound like it's getting obnoxiously-high scores in races and activities anymore.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
Supposedly it involves doing side quests for various people, including but not limited to stuff as simple as stunt jumps. It doesn't sound like it's getting obnoxiously-high scores in races and activities anymore.
Thank you. I don't like it as much as Just Cause 2 but that sounds faaaaaar more tolerable than the dozens of races and activity mini games. I couldn't find the info in any preview video I saw.

Tauntaun

Oct 27, 2017
JC3 is sitting in steam backlog, I loved 2 but I haven't had a chance to try out 3 and hearing about how mixed it is I probably wont get to it for a while.

Zedelima

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Jc3 was not bad

The problem is that when you start something fun, the game would freeze/crash/drop frames.

It took away a lot of the fun. I dont know how is nowadays, but both pc and ps4 were pretty bad back in the day

Defect

Oct 25, 2017
I loved Just Cause 3 even on OG Xbone. Can't wait for more grapple hook shenanigans.

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
They dropped the ball hard on jc3 with no patches to fix anything nope not happening again. Not even an update on why they didn't do it. But they kept their promises on releasing the dlcs. Go f yourself! Never been so disappointed in paying full price for a game during launch.

Yup. Such a bad look on Avalanche's part.

I'm not touching this one for months. I'll see how it all shakes out, performance-wise. I got burned hard on Just Cause 3.

geomon

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL

Til this day, one of my favorite gaming related gifs of all time. Gold doesn't meant what it did way back when anymore. It's more a symbolic act of hey we're pressing discs and folks will get to play what we busted our tails for for the past X amount of years.
The only game I've ever owned that got worse with every patch. It was unbelievable.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
This game has one hell of an uphill battle, with Just Cause 3 having been so infamously bad on consoles and the knowledge that Square Enix games drop to half price within like two months of launch.

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
No co-op, no buy. People have been asking for it for years and it's obvious why. There's no engrossing story or anything, it's just a sandbox game with cool physics and big explosions. I liked 2, but the best parts about it were showing it to a friend or playing the ridiculous multiplayer mod. The direction of this franchise makes no sense to me.

For people who do like it the way it is, I hope you get decent performance.

Genetrik

Oct 27, 2017
To me the biggest issue with 3 were not the performance issues but the design decision to tie progression to annyoing mini challenges. That was the REAL dealbreaker. At least to me.
Really hope 4 will deliver as I loved 1 and 2.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Jc3 was not bad

The problem is that when you start something fun, the game would freeze/crash/drop frames.

It took away a lot of the fun. I dont know how is nowadays, but both pc and ps4 were pretty bad back in the day

I played through the PC version at launch and would say it was mostly fine. It was just more demanding on the CPU side than anticipated, the official minimum and recommended amounts of RAM are both 8GB despite the game demanding more than that after a while, and the implementation of SMAA leaves a lot to be desired.

Last edited:

WhiteNovember

Aug 15, 2018
Huge fan of Jc2, but Jc3 didn't catch. One of the reason was the poor technical performance. I am surprised, that the game already comes out. Barely heard anything about it and iirc, it was just recently announced..

hydruxo

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
JC3 still runs like shit on PS4 so I have no faith in it being any better in JC4

S1kkZ

Oct 27, 2017
they still have not shown a single second of console footage. after jc3, thats all i need to know.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
To me the biggest issue with 3 were not the performance issues but the design decision to tie progression to annyoing mini challenges. That was the REAL dealbreaker. At least to me.
Really hope 4 will deliver as I loved 1 and 2.

The design choices were the biggest disappointment to me as well. Even without ignoring the performance issues, I was still more bothered by choices they made for the game.

Oct 27, 2017
Eh JC just gives more tools with physics on for you to mess with but nothing really impressive

Zelda BOTW is pretty impressive so much stuff you can do and this was all done on Wii U hardware

OK, if it makes you happy. Sometimes I feel that people have a different definition of the term "physics". GTAV on 360/PS3 is a much bigger physics simulation than anything you can find in Botw.

Snkfanatic

Oct 25, 2017
I want to be hyped I really do. I loved 2 but 3 ruined it for me....one of the first and biggest digital gaming preorder regrets I have. I will wait and see what DF or impressions say about performance before considering it.

ApeEscaper

Oct 27, 2017
Bangladeshi
OK, if it makes you happy. Sometimes I feel that people have a different definition of the term "physics". GTAV on 360/PS3 is a much bigger physics simulation than anything you can find in Botw.
Nah more does not mean better, more people are impressed with BOTW physics as expected, lots of new physics and ways people have not done before or seen in a open world game. Physics in GTA, JC has been done before nothing new or impressive