• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

tmkn

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I have yet to play a Just Cause game, last one I skipped for obvious reasons, curious if this one runs better on PS4

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I understand why people are pissed at this franchise given the travesty that was JC3 but it really does seem they've taken those criticisms to heart with the development of this game.

I've got this purchased and loaded on my X but I'm going to be...decidedly unhappy if the performance isn't rock solid.

Tunahead

Oct 30, 2017
I'm not particularly worried about the performance. Mad Max ran great so Avalanche obviously still have competent coders working for them, and the development seems to have been less troubled, with the superior team working on it.

My concern is the writing, because that's the kind of downturn you don't fix quite so easily, because it's more subjective and therefore less likely to be internally recognized as a problem.

Just Cause 2 was a story about Rico Rodriguez going to a fictional Southeast Asian dictatorship on behalf of America to "liberate" them via the means of destroying all their resources, defensive capabilities, landmarks and infrastructure. It was a game about blowing everything up, and the story acknowledged this in a sardonic way without just one-dimensionally painting your actions as heroic.

Just Cause 3 was the personal story of great hero Rico Rodriguez bravely fighting against the bad men with his military grade explosives in the streets of civilian settlements. It's not even that the story is stupidly one-dimensional, it's that it's also in stark contrast to the things you actually do in the game.

And so we come to Just Cause 4, which in its marketing has so far gone "Wa-hey! Get a load of all this mayhem!" but also "It's a personal story, just like in the one you all hated. You're playing as a good guy, honest!"

I worry about Just Cause 4 becoming yet another game where Oscar Mike goes to the Semper Fi and shoots all the brown people, or whatever dumb fucking garbage all these military shooters are always going on about. I really do.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
I'm not particularly worried about the performance. Mad Max ran great so Avalanche obviously still have competent coders working for them, and the development seems to have been less troubled, with the superior team working on it.

My concern is the writing, because that's the kind of downturn you don't fix quite so easily, because it's more subjective and therefore less likely to be internally recognized as a problem.

Just Cause 2 was a story about Rico Rodriguez going to a fictional Southeast Asian dictatorship on behalf of America to "liberate" them via the means of destroying all their resources, defensive capabilities, landmarks and infrastructure. It was a game about blowing everything up, and the story acknowledged this in a sardonic way without just one-dimensionally painting your actions as heroic.

Just Cause 3 was the personal story of great hero Rico Rodriguez bravely fighting against the bad men with his military grade explosives in the streets of civilian settlements. It's not even that the story is stupidly one-dimensional, it's that it's also in stark contrast to the things you actually do in the game.

And so we come to Just Cause 4, which in its marketing has so far gone "Wa-hey! Get a load of all this mayhem!" but also "It's a personal story, just like in the one you all hated. You're playing as a good guy, honest!"

I worry about Just Cause 4 becoming yet another game where Oscar Mike goes to the Semper Fi and shoots all the brown people, or whatever dumb fucking garbage all these military shooters are always going on about. I really do.

well, Just Cause isn´t exactly the series which you play when you are looking for a deep story...

Oct 25, 2017
I played JC3 on my X and I got about 10-15 hours of fun out of it. I'm really hoping they mission design is less repetitive in this one.

BMW

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I LOVE the JC series... biggest question for this game: Is there a new game plus or anything? Running out of stuff to blow up sucks.

Karppuuna

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's good that people here are trusting the new engine, i'm one of those people how don't beleave so easily, but lets see the performance when the shit goes down!

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Fyi this is made by the exact same team that made just cause 3. The superior sweden studio is making either rage 2 or that survival game(probly rage 2)

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else order the JC4 gold digital from Best Buy when it was price error'd at $39.99 for a few hours? Still in my order history although doesn't really show what exactly I am going to get, if I am going to get an email or a physical card (like in store sometimes), and hasn't shipped out yet. Not too worried, don't really care if they cancel the thing but for $40 I'd play the full game + DLC, digitally.

Spartancarver

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Really? I'm pretty sure the PC version will look and run better because that's always the outcome of these comparisons.
Usually the case but I would take a stable 4K (with or without CB) 30FPS vs a buggy PC version.

Plus, my XB1 is hooked up to an OLED lol.

Shawcroft

Oct 29, 2017
I don't think the IGN review will be particularly stellar!

Ouch. Was afraid of that.

Pretty much got vibes of 3 with a new coat of paint and some admittedly cool tweaks like the weather, but not sure that's enough.

I thought 3 was really lackluster and straight up boring, and I was lucky enough to play on PC without too much issues.

xrnzaaas

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A positive review from Karak brings me hope, especially putting the game's performance in pros.

Acrano

Nov 2, 2017
Germany
many people selling their copies on Ebay already, this doesn´t bode well for the game tbh...
Already? The game isn´t out yet, or is it? At least the steam version comes tomorrow...

I enjoy the Just Cause Series, played all titles and Just Cause 2 multiplayer excessively ... Part 3 was badly optimized but good fun all around.

I don´t know how I feel about the changes for streamers, will wait for some reviews. I´m ok if it´s more Just Cause.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Already? The game isn´t out yet, or is it? At least the steam version comes tomorrow...

I enjoy the Just Cause Series, played all titles and Just Cause 2 multiplayer excessively ... Part 3 was badly optimized but good fun all around.

I don´t know how I feel about the changes for streamers, will wait for some reviews. I´m ok if it´s more Just Cause.

you can buy it here since the 28th, many stores broke street date. strangely enough it is around 40€ new which is low for a new game, most new games release at 60€ here

Vishmarx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Thanks. Though I didn't mean the missions, but the environments, like if all the various locations in the world map were very similar or not.

My favorite things to do in JC games aren't the missions, but just tooling around in the game world like the playground it's supposed to be, taking apart the world's infrastructure, using the toys the game gives you. This was great in JC2, as the locations were very varied, but got monotonous in JC3 since they all looked the same, and there wasn't even a "city" like in JC2, just similar villages.

The locations are pretty much jc2 point for point. I dont mean identical but the general biomes. City, Jungle, Mountains and Desert.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
bomba inbound! or at least that's how it feels like it's going to perform since there doesn't seem to be any hype surrounding it at all.

personally i find it hard to trust them after just cause 3 and prioritizing DLC over fixing the base games terrible performance.

so i might buy it when it's in the bargain bins...i'll give it 6 months

BlackLagoon

Oct 25, 2017
well, Just Cause isn´t exactly the series which you play when you are looking for a deep story...
No, but 2 gave me a fun one, filled with memorable set pieces and distinctive characters. 3 seemed to think it was telling a deep, personal story, but what I saw of it before I bailed was forgettable, bland twaddle.

Rivyn

Oct 26, 2017
Just Cause 3 was a huge clusterfuck in regards to performance on the PS4.

If that alone has been fixed I would definitely consider getting this.

Acrano

Nov 2, 2017
Germany
you can buy it here since the 28th, many stores broke street date. strangely enough it is around 40€ new which is low for a new game, most new games release at 60€ here
Ah, makes sense. 40€ seems low given the 60€ pricetag for pc and 70€ for the console versions. If they broke the steet date in Köln, I could probably get it in Berlin also but I want the pc version so gotta wait a few days.