• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Is there no 100% competition tracker or something like that to work towards? I'm personally really missing base liberation...

Defect

Oct 25, 2017
Just cause 3 has better controls and a better grappling hook/tether system.

The only good thing here so far is the performance.

Rei no Otaku

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Cranston RI
Attaching the boosters to cars is now my favorite thing.

I'm having fun with the game, but I have simple tastes. Things explode, and the different grapple mods are fun to play with it. I'm happy.

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wanna play so bad but I need to finish just cause 3 first and by that happens it will probably be like 20 bucks

Vishmarx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Clearly you've never played Elex, where waterfalls look like cascading potato chips.

I actually have. but i dont remember them being this bad. im sure the water had ...some tesselation. water in this might as well be textured reflective glass.

Yeah the water is just bad. It was great in JC3 but this is just... I have no idea what they did. Maybe to keep the performance up?

I honestly think they just found a safe break off point and didnt bother to upgrade beyond that . The water is equally shit on pc.

Btw has anyone done the first ancient relic mission with hdr on?

First it starts on a tree that has worse textures than deku tree from ocarina , then you fly to a giant rock that compliments said tree. then you jump into a ditch and the game''s color balance goes haywire.
banded grays and blues everywhere and you cant see shit in the room with the relic.
same with diving in a local channel in the middle of the night

Last edited:

phant0m

Oct 29, 2017
Waiting for the DF comparison video if should get this on One X or PC. PC will be better, but I strongly prefer JC games (and most 3rd person shooter tbh) on the couch with a controller.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Screenshot_20181204-052401.jpg

Think this explains some things. The game literally isn't fucking finished....

Raindammit

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Got this on my XB1X.

Cut scenes are a sub-HD, pixelated, stuttery mess which I hope that SE fix soon.

Game play is OKish, it's at least 1080p on the X but could be slightly higher. Aliasing could be better, but so far the frame rate has been fine. There are some below par textures here and there, pop in is fairly noticeable as well.

But, it's still the same Just Cause, explosions look fantastic and there is sooo much fun to be had with the different weapons/vehicles/grapple upgrades. Will definitely finish the missions, and have fun along the way. :)

Oct 27, 2017
Got this on my XB1X.

Cut scenes are a sub-HD, pixelated, stuttery mess which I hope that SE fix soon.

Game play is OKish, it's at least 1080p on the X but could be slightly higher. Aliasing could be better, but so far the frame rate has been fine. There are some below par textures here and there, pop in is fairly noticeable as well.

But, it's still the same Just Cause, explosions look fantastic and there is sooo much fun to be had with the different weapons/vehicles/grapple upgrades. Will definitely finish the missions, and have fun along the way. :)
Is it 30 fps?

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
I'm disappointed to hear about the cutscenes and other bugs, but think I will still enjoy it, so long as it's not as devoid of fun and repetitive as Just Cause 3 was. That game was a mess.

I'm still waiting for it to install, and have been waiting all day. Hoping to play it before I go to sleep, but may not get to.

Are you still having to cause a lot of chaos to unlock missions? Or has that been changed? (I didn't play much of Just Cause 3 because I didn't like it much at all, and don't remember if they changed the progression system in it, from 2).

JAT

Oct 27, 2017
Are unlocks still tied to side missions? I really disliked doing those.

abracadaver

Banned
Nov 30, 2017
After the first 2 hours I'm pretty dissapointed with JC4.

I'm playing in 1440p with ultra settings and so far I haven't seen anything that looks better than JC3. A lot of things look worse even. The cutscenes are a horrible low quality mess.
The water looks flat and muddy. Some particle effects are very blurry. The sparks in the first mission for example.
Shooting boxes makes them just disappear whereas in JC3 they exploded into tons of particles.

The unlock system seems overly complicated.

And I still haven't figured out how to change weapons.

I hope the game improves because so far I think JC3 was a lot better

nasirum

Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere
Avalanche...

Why is map bound to 1 on PC?

Why do 2 and 3 cycle left and right in the map subscreen?

Have yall ever used a keyboard before to play a game?

Other than that this is a great sequel to 3.

Pfroebbel

Oct 28, 2017
Played a bit yesterday on PS4 Pro and it looks rough. I dont know if there is any AA in the Game. The grass is flickering incredible.
The Framerate seems okay to me.

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
It's always hard to separate technical criticism from gameplay criticism for Just Cause games. To this day I still have no idea if JC3 is a good game aside from the technical problems. Most of the impressions I've read of this game lean on the technical side.

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's always hard to separate technical criticism from gameplay criticism for Just Cause games. To this day I still have no idea if JC3 is a good game aside from the technical problems. Most of the impressions I've read of this game lean on the technical side.
It's a tough one, as one person may have a different threshold for technical issues than another.

For JC3, it was a mess, and that is coming from someone who can usually over look some issues, but it was barely playable at times, and it got worse after the patch.

As for JC4, from the footage I've seen, at least on console, it looks very poor, but performs better, I guess YMMV depending on how much you enjoy to loop of a JC game, and how much you can overlook some iffy visuals.

Personally, I am pleased they made it perform better, but I would wait and see if they make it look better with patch(es)

replicantUK

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Played the first mission last night on my X and the HDR looks horrible out of the gate. The actual tools to calibrate the HDR aren't that helpful either. Turned HDR off and immediately the game looked better. Playing on a XE90.

Anyone had better luck with their hdr calibration?

Volkoff

Oct 27, 2017
Yo-hio
I completed the intro mission last night and then could not progress due to graphical glitches. When attempting to meet up with Mira, I fall through the map with no way to get around that area. Half baked gaming, baby.

Vishmarx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Played the first mission last night on my X and the HDR looks horrible out of the gate. The actual tools to calibrate the HDR aren't that helpful either. Turned HDR off and immediately the game looked better. Playing on a XE90.

Anyone had better luck with their hdr calibration?

ks8000
turned gamma to 0
turned brightness to 25
and max brightness to 15.

but im only sticking to it because youll soon realize the gamma levels are fucked even without hdr. just go somewhere dark and see for yourself.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
Echoing the terrible looking cutscenes on XB1X. It genuinely looks like 360/PS3 era Bink video files. And boy there are a lot of cutscenes at the start of the game...

Framerate is solid, at least, but you can tell how they got it under control because this game is not a looker :P

Oct 27, 2017
The game is super fun to play, but yeah I'm having a hard time recommending this to anyone, because of the technical mess it is.
If you can overlook the flaws and if you like the toy-box approach this is a game for you.

I'm having such a blast with stuff like flying a big patrol ship up to a mountain with ballons and boosters and "snowboarding" it down again or attaching boosters to cows.

Driving for the first time in this series is legit fun. You can drive at Burnout-speed and drifting really works now. Your eyes will bleed from all the blur tho ( same as with Burnout).

Can the Wingsuit-Booster be unlocked during the story missions? I have the deluxe edition just because that wasn't clear, so I got the Blackhand Wingsuit after a few story missions ...if not, I already hate myself for supporting this shady practice, because the boosters are not some minor thing, they add another huge layer to the awesome traversal. It's basically Iron Man.

I'm playing on the pro: Performance is stable, haven't noticed framerate dips, had one crash in my 8 hours playtime but the graphics are last gen at times...not kidding. No AA, motion blur, low textures = worst IQ I've seen this gen. I feel Avalanche tried to play it as safe as possible regarding performance and will now start optimizing the game, LOL!
The funny thing is that this series could achieve more if Avalanche just cuts the fat - the story and characters are so bad that they should just leave them out. Rico is bland as fuck - either give us a char-editor or make him more like 90s Banderas/ 80s action hero.

Last edited:

Popetita

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
TX|PR
So I never played 3 and have always seen a ton of videos on it. Should I just get in on 4 since from reviews it seems the ssme but better looking.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Looks kinda bad on the Xbox One X. Terribly jaggy, looks really low res. The cutscenes look AWFUL. Like really low bit rate. Hate to think how this looks on the base consoles.

Frame rate seems ok so far. But a big compromise. Too early to judge the actual gameplay.

Eikemo

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 20, 2018
Just started this and the game looks sooo bad even on the Xbox one x. This is the most B-tier game I have played in a loong time

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
The speed boosters are a blast to play around with, but I feel like they're not working the way their intended too.

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
Odds of them improving the visual through an update soon?

I can wait - I already have an enormous backlog of games - ones that look good too!

Persagen

Oct 27, 2017
Did they really get rid of C-4 and hand grenades entirely? Loading something up with charges and detonating from a distance is one of the simple pleasures of this series.

Oct 27, 2017
The speed boosters are a blast to play around with, but I feel like they're not working the way their intended too.

You need to unlock mods to be able to adjust them. The default boosters only work properly on heavy gear - they are too strong for smaller objects like cars. Most cars have built-in boosters anyways.

Did they really get rid of C-4 and hand grenades entirely? Loading something up with charges and detonating from a distance is one of the simple pleasures of this series.

There's a gun that shoots C4 charges. All guns have an alt-firing mode, so you won't miss grenades, but I do miss dual wielding pistols and smgs. Who the fuck thought that this is a good idea? Add features, but take other features away...I don't get devs sometimes.

Last edited:

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
I'm really unimpressed so far. Poor graphics I can deal with, but the controls seem to have taken a step back from JC3, too. Wingsuiting feels too slow and forgiving, and it feels like there's a cooldown on the grapple now. Things I'm doing through pure muscle memory from 2 and 3 don't work, specifically grappling at something just ahead of me, opening the parachute to get some height, and then immediately grappling back down to the ground again to get over an obstacle. It just doesn't work any more, because the grapple doesn't work right after you open the parachute. Can anyone else confirm this? I don't know if I'm just misremembering, but it really feels like I'm pressing the grapple button often and just having nothing happen.

Mainly it's just disappointing to see that we're still just doing the same old "Take over these territories" gameplay all over again. Another big checklist of cookie cutter tasks to tick off. The movement and destruction mechanics in these games are so strong but they so rarely do anything interesting with them, it's always just destroying things to make a progress bar fill up and making progress bars fill up to change the colour of a map.