• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Nov 14, 2017
Did they really get rid of C-4 and hand grenades entirely? Loading something up with charges and detonating from a distance is one of the simple pleasures of this series.
You can customize the grapple to place boosters that explode after a 2 second fuse runs out, which I would assume works just as well if not better since you can be more precise and do it from a distance.

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oof. It's really starting to sound like JC2 was a one-off fluke for Avalanche. As much as I adored that game, I'm glad I never jumped on any hype trains for 3 and 4.

I'm still playing RDR2 and have so many other games to keep me from impulse purchasing this. Some of the impressions in here are really unfortunate.

Wahad

Oct 26, 2017
So, they are using heavily compressed low res in-game recorded shit between every mission? What year is it?

Beside that, no quality/performance mode on X? Game feels not fluid most of the time... Not like JC3 tho but again, it's somehow.... underwhelming...

Norwegian_Imposter

Circumventing a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So, they are using heavily compressed low res in-game recorded shit between every mission? What year is it?

Beside that, no quality/performance mode on X? Game feels not fluid most of the time... Not like JC3 tho but again, it's somehow.... underwhelming...
It really does look like something from the early 2000's

Genetrik

Oct 27, 2017
Can someone confirm that upgrade points are not locked behind annoying challenges any longer like in part 3?

Genetrik

Oct 27, 2017
Can someone confirm that upgrade points are not locked behind annoying challenges any longer like in part 3?

Oct 27, 2017
You unlock vehicles and guns by liberating regions.
You unlock mods for balloons, boosters, tether by doing specific side-quest lines/ side activities.
You unlock more supply drops (up to 7= you can call in 7 cars at a time for example) with rising chaos level.
You upgrade your wing-suit jet-booster by doing the wingsuit challenges (flying through 3 rings). 10 give you an extra boost charge (up to 3). 20 another charge of missles, and so on...
You unlock certain vehicles by doing some of the small challenges with said vehicle or through story missions.

Abilities are there from the start, like air-brake for wing-suit for example and you get the three gimmicks for the grappling hook early by doing story missions.

Genetrik

Oct 27, 2017
You unlock vehicles and guns by liberating regions.
You unlock mods for balloons, boosters, tether by doing specific side-quest lines/ side activities.
You unlock more supply drops (up to 7= you can call in 7 cars at a time for example) with rising chaos level.
You upgrade your wing-suit jet-booster by doing the wingsuit challenges (flying through 3 rings). 10 give you an extra boost charge (up to 3). 20 another charge of missles, and so on...
You unlock certain vehicles by doing some of the small challenges with said vehicle or through story missions.

Abilities are there from the start, like air-brake for wing-suit for example and you get the three gimmicks for the grappling hook early by doing story missions.

Thank a lot. The wing suit challenges remind me of the super annoying parts in the previous game....

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
It seems Best Buy didn't get the memo for the 24 hours early access. Didn't get my email for the pre-order bonus either.

I guess I won't be playing this until the 6th.

Oof. It's really starting to sound like JC2 was a one-off fluke for Avalanche. As much as I adored that game, I'm glad I never jumped on any hype trains for 3 and 4.

I'm still playing RDR2 and have so many other games to keep me from impulse purchasing this. Some of the impressions in here are really unfortunate.

It's not so much a fluke but rather two different teams handling the game differently. Keep in mind that Just Cause 2 was developed by main Avalanche studio in Stockholm Sweden, and JC3 and 4 were done by a newer secondary studio in New York.

Last edited:

drewfonse

Oct 28, 2017
Has JC3 been fixed on consoles? I'd be playing it on a 1X. Should I play that instead? I haven't played anything since JC2....

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
pretty bad first impressions, playing on PC, I can't even shoot or interact with things using a keyboard/mouse for some reason.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
Has JC3 been fixed on consoles? I'd be playing it on a 1X. Should I play that instead? I haven't played anything since JC2....
I have no idea how it runs on an X1X, but on PS4 Pro the game was at least playable with boost mode, so I guess X1X can run it even better.

I would say though, don't play JC3. It's not that great, it loses the charm of JC2 and the map is the worst. The flysuit is great though.

Zelus

Oct 27, 2017
Not that I can see - it's stopping me from seeing enemies sometimes as the gun reticule is a giant mess of unnecessary shapes.

Also, the below screenshot is not from a 720p YouTube video. This is actually what cutscenes in this game looks like. Worst compression I've seen this generation, genuinely hideous.

no2Rdp6.jpg

Honestly, either something is bugged with my settings (maxed out, 1440 on a GTX 1080) or this is one of the ugliest current gen titles out there - sort of looks like everything has been set to low. I mean, look at those 2D trees in the top right, something isn't right here.

prwbGWK.jpg
Someone made a post on Reddit stating something similar in regards to the PS4 Pro version. It may be one of the sacrifices they had to make to improve performance.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
So the bug where I couldn't fire my gun or interact with things is because my game is sometimes loaded in being stuck in the AR mode. Reloading fixes it.
Ok, so, first hour impressions are rough, the cutscenes are ridiculously low quality and there's a lot of them at the start. The graphics look worse than JC3 maxed out on a PC and the mission design is seemingly unchanged from JC3. I'm hoping it's not as grindy though. I remember people saying that the reason why JC3 was so grindy and repetative is because it was originally designed to be an F2P online game. I was hoping this means that JC4 would have a better flowing chain of missions but so far from what I can tell it's pretty similiar.

Oh well, it's still fun because Just Cause is just a fun series, but the game definitely isn't good at first impressions especially because of the rough presentation.

Necrocorpse

Nov 17, 2018
London, UK
If I have more money than I think I have, I'll get it for PC. No matter what people say about the technical issues I'm sure it'll be patched in few months at least. I want some Just Cause action. Of course Murphy's law and quantum physics indicate already that I will not have that extra money though in which case I will replay JC3 (could actually go for JC2 instead) and cry myself to sleep. I can't believe they somehow messed up again or released the game too early. Just Cause as a franchise has everything for a huge hit title or at least a solid seller.

Last edited:

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like another case of $29.99 in a week
I think this might be my purchase point. Maybe $39.99 but we'll see how fast it actually drops. I'm not sure how quick it'll drop at this point. At least for other games earlier this year I could wait for it to be Black Friday where they'd get a nice drop.

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
Jesus christ what the hell is up with the low res pixelated rendering going on in this game

Xoubt5H.jpg

I don't think I've ever seen a modern game have quite as many problems as this game in getting the utmost basics right when it comes to rendering/image quality.

kostacurtas

Oct 27, 2017
Bad impressions. Again technical issues.

The first two games were really fun games but after the disappointment of the third game they should try a lot harder for this one.

Sadly I don't think that a Just Cause 5 will happen.

Convasse

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA, USA
Man, I'm so hyped for this game, but these technical issues are putting me off from buying. I don't even care about the reviews, haven't read a single one, but the issues are red flags of a rushed game. I'll need to see receipts of incoming fixes before I commit.

RandomDazed

Oct 27, 2017
What is going on with this game?

I just booted it up on PC, put everything to max settings, and it looks like ASS.

Is something broken at the moment? The game looks much worse than JC3.

Is there something i can do to sort this out on my side?

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
What is going on with this game?

I just booted it up on PC, put everything to max settings, and it looks like ASS.

Is something broken at the moment? The game looks much worse than JC3.

Is there something i can do to sort this out on my side?
Is a bug where even if you put everything on max, the game resets to low

I think the fix involves changing the fullscreen settings, but im not sure

RandomDazed

Oct 27, 2017
Is a bug where even if you put everything on max, the game resets to low

I think the fix involves changing the fullscreen settings, but im not sure

I have it on Full screen as i have a g-sync monitor, but that doesn't seem to have made any difference.

I also downloaded the patch from today.

A terrible first impression.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I have decided that I am FOR SURE buying this game but I will be waiting about a month until it goes on sale, as it seems every single Square-Enix published game has done in the past two or three years. I'm betting right after Christmas or early January.

They do this with all their games, whether they're initially commercially successful or not.

Oct 27, 2017
I was so hyped for this as that Deep Dive video made the game look incredible technically/visually and gameplay wise but from what I've played thus far I'm pretty sure I'm asking Steam for a refund on this one, my goodness.

Makes me wary of Rage 2 considering the preview video of that looked great too. Might be almost a completely different studio but from recent comments it sounded like different Avalanche teams were lending a hand on both Just Cause and Rage 2 so...yikes.

Vitor711

Oct 28, 2017
UK
OK, please tell me the game is genuinely resetting settings to low for people because look at this - maxed out on PC, in-engine cutscene at 1440p:

D8oT5AC.jpg

oNNKBBp.jpg

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
JC3 was my biggest disappointment this generation, so seeing how poorly this runs isn't a massive surprise. Still, I hoped I would be wrong as I love the series......well, JC2.

I still haven't seen a single video, screenshot or impression of it running on a base PS4 or X1. Not one. It's bizarre. Did SE/Avalanche not send out review copies of these versions or what? Has an Era member played it on a base console? Anyone?

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone on PC with an SSD, can you speak to load times, particularly the initial load? Was one of the biggest hangups for me in 3.

Nov 14, 2017
Anyone on PC with an SSD, can you speak to load times, particularly the initial load? Was one of the biggest hangups for me in 3.
For me, loading times between cutscenes and gameplay were maybe 2 seconds tops. So quick I couldn't even read the loading screen tips. Dunno how fast they are when respawning upon death, but based on a NerdCubed stream I watched this last weekend, it's probably about the same.

The performance was definitely my biggest issue with JC3, so this is a huge improvement for me.

OrionCelsius

Oct 27, 2017

The initial load is much quicker on my ssd system. I booted it twice and it was anywhere from 10-15 seconds, not long. The loads from deaths or into / out of missions is so fast I can't read the hints.

Oct 27, 2017
Technical issues aside, the game is the most fun sandbox I've ever played. I laughed so many times just messing around with the mods.
Just found a funny glitch:
if you put 8-10 retractors on the ground with impulse enabled, then jump above them instantly activating impulse via d-pad it launches you high up in the air. If you press L1 quick enough you'll enter free fall mode and you can go into wing-suit immediately.

This games beats Botw in terms of experimentation quite easily.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
It finally finished downloading early this morning, so I played as soon as I could and hoped it was worth the wait. It looked great in trailers, and some of the reviews have been really good. But...man...did those reviewers play the same game?

I know I'm only two or three hours in, but so far it's not been very impressive. The cutscenes are ugly and have weird effects, the controls aren't that player friendly, the menus are ugly, the grappling hook loadout idea is just annoying and it feels very dated. Rico ragdolls all over the place, I run out of ammo quickly during missions when I'm supposed to be riding on vehicles and protecting people, and the whole idea of taking over territory is not for me or well done so far.

It also takes forever to get places sometimes, and doesn't make its missions or mission types clear enough.

I was so hyped for this as that Deep Dive video made the game look incredible technically/visually and gameplay wise but from what I've played thus far...my goodness.

Makes me wary of Rage 2 considering the preview video of that looked great too. Might be almost a completely different studio but from recent comments it sounded like different Avalanche teams were lending a hand on both Just Cause and Rage 2 so...yikes.

You and me both

Someone else mentioned what I was thinking this morning: That Just Cause 2 seems like a one-off or a fluke for Avalanche. That game had some flaws, but it was great fun and one of the most enjoyable video games I've played in some time. It was much better than the first game, which was just alright, but the two that have followed (based on what I've played, given that I quit Just Cause 3 because of how bad it is and am only a couple or a few hours into Just Cause 4) have felt like steps backwards and been messes. Even Mad Max, which I was looking forward to, disappointed me. It was the same shit over and over and over again for 35 hours, and got really tedious, nor did it play as well as it looked like it would.

This is really disappointing, and I hope they won't fuck up RAGE 2, because I adored the first.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
I did a legit double take today when I saw a JC4 ad on the side of a bus. How does a game with a "posters on buses" marketing budget end up with a "cutscenes look like a 360 game" development budget?

I mean, as a pure sandbox, goof-around-simulator it's wonderful. This series has a habit of adding such great new basic mechanics with each new entry that I can never go back to the previous one. I still think JC2 is by far the best, but I feel naked without the Wingsuit now, and JC4's hot-swappable loadouts and balloons are such great ideas that I don't think I could go back to JC3, either. But JC3 was such a widely-publicized technical mess that Square really needed to knock it out of the park with this one to restore some faith, and they just haven't. I just can't recommend the game to anyone right now knowing that it's going to crater in price within months (if not weeks) and it'll be better to wait until it's had a few patches anyway.