• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
Glad I only rented this - really disappointed in it.

As weird as this sounds - it feels too big. From what I remember of JC3, which I enjoyed at the time, it never felt like you were far from something to blow up. Every major building or settlement seemed to have at least a couple of things decked out in red that could be destroyed. It was fun.

Here, I've blown up a couple of structures consisting of 2-3 chaos items, and now it feels like I'm parachuting round for ages before I find anything else to destroy. The game just feels boring as a result.

Plus the map doesn't do a good job of explaining what you're actually looking at. I can see plenty of villages that just say "0/2 completed" or similar. 0/2 what? I've had a look around but can see nothing to destroy, and nobody there who may give out a mission.

Likely I've missed a tutorial somewhere and that's my fault, but right now this game is a confusing, rather boring mess.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I, too, am glad I only rented this.

The story in this game is so ridiculously sparse that I can barely consider it a proper narrative. JC3's narative was dumb as shit but the characters were fun and there were plenty of story missions.

The resources on the map screen remind me of an overly complicated free to play mobile game. Spending time going around the map to unmarked bases that you've already captured looking for stuff you haven't blown up yet so you can unlock a squad reserve point is not good game design.

I rented this for 3 nights at redbox, and I'm probably not going to want to play any more than that. It's fun when you're in some crazy explosion filled fight, but mostly it just makes me want to play JC3 again.

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
The revamped chaos system definitely feels a lot worse than the previous games. Even down to the little things like no longer having a score tally for what you blow up, leaving you with barely any sense of feedback for what you're doing.

Having played this for a good amount of hours now, I can see the merit in the "more of the same" complaints. The things that they did decide to change from the previous games feels like it's either for the worse or that it doesn't really matter. The weather systems for example that are touted as one of the main hooks for the sequel. I've played for 20ish hours now doing a mixture of main story missions, side missions, and just generally screwing around which I'd say is the common and intended way of playing. So far my only encounter with the new weather has been the lightning storms which I didn't like and it just felt like it punished you for being there. Thus far the whole thing just feels like a gimmick whose novelty quickly wears off. I'm not really sure what they could do to recontextualize the series in a way that doesn't compromise the gameplay loop it is known for.

The music is pretty decent at least. Clearly synthwave influenced but not overtly so. I guess we're past the threshold now where this type of music isn't just considered an 80s throwback but rather just another cool sound and aesthetic you can make use of. I also like all the little touches in the sound design like the interference on the car radio signal when you're under tunnels, or how Rico's voice gets all gargled and bubbly if dialogue is triggered while underwater.

How do you destroy those large robot turrets? The ones with a railgun and missiles that will shock you when you get close. I had one of those multishot RPGs and I spent my entire ammo capacity on that thing with no scratch. Cables don't hold it.

Look for the yellow striped hatches on both sides of the turrets. Yank them off with the grappling hook to expose the weak spots. Front hatch for the railgun and back hatch for the missiles.

Last edited:

Deleted member 11421

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Renting this game from Redbox but how do I turn off the in game hints?

You mean you don't need to know what button to press to shoot 15 hours into the game?

I like this one better than 3, but there are a bunch of design choices that basically have already been covered in this thread by others that...well, stink.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
I'm at maybe 10 hours, and have experienced a lightning storm that wouldn't let me use my parachute and a tornado that came out of nowhere and turned the game into a laggy mess when it did. When I was out of the tornado, it was okay, but when it hit the frame rate got bad for a minute.

The last time I played, I enjoyed it more than I had been, but that's not saying a lot. I agree with people here who are mentioning how boring it is to go searching for things to blow up, which were readily available in Just Cause 2, which had a much better map.

Is this really more of the same, years later, though? Blow up a lot of stuff to open up new territory (sure, Just Cause 2 used it to open up new missions but it's similar), and open up new missions in the process? It's still all about chaos even though it's harder to find things to destroy?

I'm honestly still confused by the map and by what I'm supposed to do. I've been going to blackened areas, and completing docks and rescue and other missions in the green triangles, then trying to take over land. But I keep seeing the 0/2 settlements and not knowing what that means, and also haven't come across many story or proper missions.

RightChandMan

Oct 26, 2017
New Orleans, LA
I ended up getting the game and I'm actually enjoying it but it's crashed on me 3 times. Ugh, I see a lot of potential in the game but I'm barely 2 hours in and 3 crashes. I hope fix this game soon.

Deleted member 11421

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I ended up getting the game and I'm actually enjoying it but it's crashed on me 3 times. Ugh, I see a lot of potential in the game but I'm barely 2 hours in and 3 crashes. I hope fix this game soon.

It's full of glitches. Thankfully I found some of them amusing. I just beat it and realized I hadn't gotten any of the Operations achievements or "secure all regions," though. That's not really amusing...or maybe it is? lol

Duncan

Oct 25, 2017
So do I have to go through rings and tutorials to upgrade my shit? Because that's what ended my run with the previous one.

Deleted member 11421

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So do I have to go through rings and tutorials to upgrade my shit? Because that's what ended my run with the previous one.

If you want to unlock all of the mods for grappling tethers then yes you'll need to do a lot of side challenges.

Worst of all I encountered a glitch where purchasing one mod for the retract effect broke any tethers I used (as in it literally broke the tethers within seconds instead of anything remaining attached anymore).

I imagine if I grinded out and bought more mods I could've fixed it, but I think the game believed I bought the "time duration" mod of a few seconds and got stuck, which is a pretty awful bug to have.

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
When does the first tornado show up? Played about 2 hours or so and really just want to see these tornadoes!

For the tornado in the story campaign you need a lot of prerequisite missions done first, like the stormchaser and wind cannons. Otherwise, I don't think anything stops you from getting close to the already existing tornadoes in the world though I never tried it myself.

Oct 27, 2017
This game is definitely a gotg contender when it comes to easter eggs. I've yet to find the "Take on me" and going to the moon easter egg.
I've only found the Jurassic Park and baby car by myself. Cow gun looks also like a lot of fun.

You can fully upgrade the tethers by simply doing the side-quests. The ring challenges unlock civilian vehicles and the wing suit challenges upgrade the jet-booster that comes with the deluxe edition.

Last edited:

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
I beat the story campaign. And boy, was it disappointing. It's clearly rushed, just in different ways from JC3. The final segment is just an uninspired gauntlet of typical enemies. No boss fights. There was an area I entered thinking "This is clearly meant to be a boss arena. Finally!" but nope. The ending is basically one really extended cutscene with tons of action going on that you should clearly have been doing ingame instead.

Gabriela is a completely pointless character. In the previews they touted her as being this kind of anti-Rico, but she literally does nothing for the entire game and may as well not exist. I was expecting her to be more of an active agent out in the world making life hard for you. Maybe be could even have had a grappling hook of her own. Now that would have added some much needed flavor to the game. But instead, her and Espanosa just sit passively out of sight in their ivory tower until the very end of the game.

Nov 14, 2017
For the tornado in the story campaign you need a lot of prerequisite missions done first, like the stormchaser and wind cannons. Otherwise, I don't think anything stops you from getting close to the already existing tornadoes in the world though I never tried it myself.
Can confirm, the tornado is active very early on. If you save in the plains biome, the game will even boot with a tornado on the title screen.

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
Which is exactly why I won't spend a single red cent on it. It's one thing if the devs at least acknowledge there were some issues that will be fixed, but it's looking sort of like SE sent this out to die.
I'll just play the DLC for JC3 that I missed out on and call it a day.
But they did say they're working on patches that they'll dole out, so it's not like they're ignoring the issues.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
Nope, radio silence for 7 days now.

Which is exactly why I won't spend a single red cent on it. It's one thing if the devs at least acknowledge there were some issues that will be fixed, but it's looking sort of like SE sent this out to die.
I'll just play the DLC for JC3 that I missed out on and call it a day.

They made a statement and now they're working on the patch. It's not radio silence, they did communicate, just give them a little time to work. I'm sure the devs are doing their best. Of course, it's perfectly legitimate to wait for the game to be properly patched before buying it and to be angry about it releasing in this state again, but it's not really fair to frame things like they're not communicating and likely not doing anything about the issues.

Muffin

Oct 26, 2017
Things like vegetation etc. are still flickering for me after the patch. They need to fix that.

MaLDo

Oct 27, 2017
This game is unfinished even after the patch

justcause42018-12-1702bdjh.jpg

justcause42018-12-1708rfwd.jpg
justcause42018-12-170k3err.jpg
justcause42018-12-170xnf3z.jpg
justcause42018-12-1706qedr.jpg
justcause42018-12-170hmf86.jpg
justcause42018-12-17069i0j.jpg
justcause42018-12-17086ivy.jpg

BrutalInsane

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I don't understand why they don't just expand on the perfectness that was JC2. For me it was the closest to a modern version of Desert or Jungle Strike.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Game worth it if I enjoyed JC3 as a mindless podcast game that required no focus and found the performance fine on PS4 Pro?

Muffin

Oct 26, 2017
All I want is the game not to be a graphical mess on PC.

Oh and C4. That being removed after JC3 is a crime.

Would be a very good game with these two things.

Vaelic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i thought avalanche studios was a good development studio? jc3 was bad and now #4 again?

Cheesy

Oct 30, 2017
Man even after the latest patch the game is still an unplayable mess for me on PC. I really wish I could refund it. I found a fix which seemed to help the code 34 error, but now the game crashes with a different error.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
This game feels really unfinished to me. If I get into one more helicopter, or hang off the edge of a cliff only to have the camera start going nuts again, I'm going to lose my mind. Also, the graphics look terrible to me. I'm just not having as much fun with this one as I did the first 3 games.

warcrow

Oct 30, 2017
Patches are hitting today--just got mine on XB1 (5.23 GB)!

PC Patch
  • Numerous stability fixes
  • Improvements and fixes to menu navigation for mouse and keyboard users
  • Support for remapping of movement keys
  • Improved vegetation rendering and asset updates
  • Fixes to some texture mapping issues
  • Increased mouse sensitivity range
  • Corrected specialized vehicle support for mouse and keyboard players
  • Fixed issue with steering flying vehicles with keyboard
  • Fixed the disabling SSAO option in Graphics menu, which resulted in broken Ambient Occlusion
Please note that this patch will also enable automatic crash reporting to ensure Avalanche can roll out fixes ASAP for any crashes that still happen to occur.
Xbox One & PS4 Patch
For Xbox One & PlayStation 4 we understand that motion blur is a big issue for some of you. We are therefore adding the ability to either alter the amount of blur, and the option to toggle the blur on or off. We have also made an important improvement to the resolution of the game on every platform. The full list of updates to expect are below:
  • Improvements to resolution on both Xbox One and PS4
  • Added a motion blur toggle to the options menu (following user requests)
  • Added the ability to alter the amount of motion blur
  • Fixes to some motion blur rendering issues
  • Fixes to some texture mapping issues
  • Other graphical improvements, such as smoother vegetation transitions
  • Various stability fixes
  • Lighting updates to some cut scenes

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah after 10 hours I stopped. It's nice to see that it's getting patched but I honestly dunno if I'll come back to it. I really thought JC was gonna be a pillar franchise of this gen after how JC2 turned out and all the dev time between 2 and 3..

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So the patch is out on PS4 too? I know better than to expect all the graphical issues to be completely fixed but can anyone say if it's at least better and doesn't hurt performance at all? I haven't played the game at all yet as I was waiting for a patch.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I finally started this today after the patch and I'm not sure what it did because in the first hour I experienced:

- The worst pop in I've seen in an open world game in many years.

- Image quality that's so poor that I had trouble seeing things at a reasonable distance because of how blurry or jaggy it was.

- The overall graphics looking so bad that it almost seemed slightly cell shaded at times. Kind of like how xenoblade 2 looks if you play it in handheld mode.

- Several glitches including the tank I was in launching a mile into the sky when I bumped into the corner of a barrier. Would have been funny if it didn't kill me.

I know the game isn't *that* much better on PC but I really think if I'm going to get anything out of this at all it'll have to be on there. I can tolerate a pretty high level of jank but this was too much (on ps4 pro). Really wish sony had a refund system.

unknownspectator

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah after 10 hours I stopped. It's nice to see that it's getting patched but I honestly dunno if I'll come back to it. I really thought JC was gonna be a pillar franchise of this gen after how JC2 turned out and all the dev time between 2 and 3..

I only played 4 hours longer than you did and I came to the same conclusion. Honestly, there are things that even the patches can't fix like the gameplay. It's a step down from JC2 and even JC3. I don't think there will be a JC5 and honestly I don't want a JC 5 from these guys.

Jaxar

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Glad I only rented this - really disappointed in it.

As weird as this sounds - it feels too big. From what I remember of JC3, which I enjoyed at the time, it never felt like you were far from something to blow up. Every major building or settlement seemed to have at least a couple of things decked out in red that could be destroyed. It was fun.

Yeah I agree. I actually returned my copy of JC4 back to EB in Australia and went back to playing JC3 on the 1X (which plays pretty great btw) and it become even more clear how much was removed for the fourth game.

I was really pumped for JC4 leading up to launch but I found it completely underwhelming.