• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
I thought this was interesting enough to be a separate thread. Since, there is basically no information on the visual specs of Just Cause 4 on any console, The Sixth Axis came through with some information. Here's the kicker:
Having primarily reviewed on PC, our preliminary testing suggests that the original PS4 scales all the way down to 720p on a lot of occasions, even when not much is going on, while the PS4 Pro often only musters around 1080p.

Source Link

Your thoughts? And since this is about the PS4, anyone know the resolution of the One X version?

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
If it renders at 720p on the base PS4 it'd be interesting to know what it's like for the base Xbox One.

KoolAid

Oct 25, 2017
So in Just Cause 3 they focused on graphics, it performed like shit, and everyone was angry.
In Just Cause 4, they focused on performance, it looks like shit, and everyone is angry.

Can't please everyone I guess.

Vishmarx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
the jaggies in the xb1x are ass but the resolution surely holds up a lot better than pro.
i havent had an issue with the motion blue either.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
If the game needs to do that to keep performance at an acceptable level, then good

It's preferable to it staying at 1080 and dropping to 15-20fps

jsnepo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So in Just Cause 3 they focused on graphics, it performed like shit, and everyone was angry.
In Just Cause 4, they focused on performance, it looks like shit, and everyone is angry.

Can't please everyone I guess.

The can be a middle ground. Not everything is mutually exclusive.

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I read that reviewers had no access to the console version prior to release, anyone know if this is true?

Deleted member 22585

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
I mean... that hardware is old and weak. I believe they optimized it as much as they could after the negative feedback from JC3. It's a huge open world game with a lot of stuff going on.

Oct 27, 2017
I guess physics and destruction are to blame here, since we've already seen massively detailed overworlds like RDR2 rendering at native 4K on the X, but you can't compare the pace and level of mayhem you can create at any given point.

Vishmarx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm playing on the 1X and I swear it doesn't look any higher than 1080p. I've been hoping for a Digital Foundry article to drop so I can see for sure.

which is why im doubting pro sticks to 1080p for very long at all.

I mean... that hardware is old and weak. I believe they optimized it as much as they could after the negative feedback from JC3. It's a huge open world game with a lot of stuff going on.

the water is a flat texture without even ripple effects. consoles arent that weak.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
I've been playing the 1X version for a few hours and it is not a looker. The worst pop-in I've seen in recent years, a particularly ugly motion blur, cutscenes that look like 360-era Bink files and HDR/gamma that just seems broken. I'm no pixel counter but I'd be surprised if it went over 1080p.

I mean, to their credit they've fixed the framerate problems from JC3, but you can see what they had to sacrifice to do it.

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
So I guess this was why it was so hard to find information on the base PS4/X1 ports.

Speaking of X1 port, it must look like complete butt.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Situations like this show it really is getting time for a next generation. Thankful I'm on a Pro/X.

It's one game

Last gen we had games struggling to hit 30fps consistently in the last few years, whereas the biggest games of 2018 mostly look good and run well

I can see why next gen is coming, but we don't need it right now, and certainly not because of this one game dropping to 720 on 5 year old hardware

Next gen will usher in 2/3 years of cross gen games and rushed launch titles so I'm happy to ride the excellent 2016/2017/2018 wave for another few years before diving back into that

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
That's one way of avoiding the shitshow performance JC3 had on base consoles.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The can be a middle ground. Not everything is mutually exclusive.
What middle ground? 20fps@900p? That would be a terrible middle ground.

These consoles are very weak, with crappy outdated laptop CPUs. Shits gonna give, especially with such a main focus on physics calculations. They did what they could to get it running acceptably, and that's fine.

WhiteNovember

Aug 15, 2018

These consoles are very weak, with crappy outdated laptop CPUs. Shits gonna give, especially with such a main focus on physics calculations. They did what they could to get it running acceptably, and that's fine.
I mean, there are games out there that look good and perform well on this super shitty fucked up 90s Hardware.

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
which is why im doubting pro sticks to 1080p for very long at all.

the water is a flat texture without even ripple effects. consoles arent that weak.
Are you kidding? Resolution is only gpu relative if a gpu like the Pro can't handle it at 1080p, this engine is completely broken. By the way it's awful to hear. I don't know how 720p could help on the cpu department.

Deleted member 8408

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Well people wanted stable performance. Here you go.

Now complain about "subpar" graphics and lower resolutions.

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
Probably Square will patch it down the road to make it 640p and includes stuttering and crashes on console.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Are you kidding? Resolution is only gpu relative if a gpu like the Pro can't handle it at 1080p, this engine is completely broken. By the way it's awful to hear. I don't know how 720p could help on the cpu department.
It may be GPU specific but heavy CPU load can restrict available bandwidth to the GPU and thereby indirectly affect GPU performance. Reducing the resolution would circumvent this even if the original cause of performance stress was due to the CPU.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
People that say its the consoles fault: they might be severely underpowered, but...it doesn't look good on PC either. The cutscenes are also ridiculously low quality and the map has parts on it that just feel straight up unfinished. The Just Cause subreddit is full of screenshots and videos, but some examples:

https://www.reddit.com/r/JustCause/comments/a3agtg/are_you_fucking_kidding_me/
https://www.reddit.com/r/JustCause/comments/a35wnp/trees_growing_underwater/

I feel like this is less about consoles being underpowered and more about the developers running out of time/budget.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
I am positively shocked that a 5 year old console can't maintain a decent resolution or frame rate.

Reminds me of... The previous 2 generations?

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
It may be GPU specific but heavy CPU load can restrict available bandwidth to the GPU and thereby indirectly affect GPU performance. Reducing the resolution would circumvent this even if the original cause of performance stress was due to the CPU.
Of course but it sounds weird to me. In theory lower the resolution means more cpu stressed or I'm wrong? This engine is really bizzarre.

Vishmarx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Dont excuse garbage fire textures and ps2 quality water because console cpu's are weak. The game runs just as well when youre in an area with good textures as it runs with bad. theres no universal downgrade across the board.
And what excuse do you have for busted color grading or bike controls being identical to jc3 or how cutscenes look like low bitrate 720p ?
literally nothing in that takes extra hardware power. The people who worked on this either didnt know how to or simply didnt give a fuck.
and fyi all 3 of those exist on pc too.

Have you made a game that was a physics sandbox on a weak CPU before? I'm glad that the game is out there, but CPU limitations are what's holding back the PS4pro and Xbox One X, not to mention the base systems.
have you played the game or analysed its shortcomings to know that?