• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Probably, although I am not convinced sending reviewers PC versions early and holding back the console versions till release day is a particularly great one.

No that is a good one too, it's just a shitty one for the consumer if they are duped into getting the console version after seeing PC reviews

The game won't have had the biggest budget compared to other AAA games and it does a lot of stuff with destructible environments, sacrifices will have been needed

Considering that's the case, visuals suffering instead of performance was the right call

I agree it's shitty to hold back console versions from reviewers

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What middle ground? 20fps@900p? That would be a terrible middle ground.

These consoles are very weak, with crappy outdated laptop CPUs. Shits gonna give, especially with such a main focus on physics calculations. They did what they could to get it running acceptably, and that's fine.

That's the thing. This games odes stuff with physics, explosions and destructable objects that no other game does.

It's the same damn thing with people shitting on Skyrim or Fallout and don't calculate for the physics and objects in these worlds.

This gens cpus are fucking trash and nearly no big game uses physics and advanced ai stuff because of that.

Jaxar

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I took the below screenie last night on my 1X playing on a 4K screen. Sorry but I don't believe this was the best they could do.

FQNe53Y.jpg

And how about those textures!

Z9OPMYM.jpg

Vishmarx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
No that is a good one too, it's just a shitty one for the consumer if they are duped into getting the console version after seeing PC reviews

The game won't have had the biggest budget compared to other AAA games and it does a lot of stuff with destructible environments, sacrifices will have been needed

Considering that's the case, visuals suffering instead of performance was the right call

I agree it's shitty to hold back console versions from reviewers

Again, the game has "rushed out" painted all over it. 90% of these technical issues arent because of 'sacrifices'.

AllEchse

Oct 29, 2017
720p is totally fine if the performance is good.
Could be bad for Xbox One owners if its worse there.

Box

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lancashire
And not a single one of them does one tenth of what Just Cause 4 does physics wise.
Yeah even JC3 looked like a CPU test when you exploded everything. I'm not surprised this is even more demanding given what I've read.
I'm really interested in performance figures for the game. 4k max mid 40s with a 1080ti and 9900k. I'm not sure what that means for me with a better GPU but worse CPU. Also not sure how that translates to console with their stark difference in CPU.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Of course but it sounds weird to me. In theory lower the resolution means more cpu stressed or I'm wrong? This engine is really bizzarre.
Why do you think CPU stress be affected by resolution? These consoles have shared bandwidth between CPU & GPU and things like resolution, alpha transparencies etc while being GPU centric still require a set amount of bandwidth. The CPU in the other hand requires a set amount of bandwidth as well and since the game is so heavy on physics it requires a lot more of it than in other games. Yet there is only so much bandwidth that can be used so something has to give so that the performance doesn't end up being bottlenecked because you are trying to push more than the available bandwidth.

By lowering the quality of transparencies like water & fire (two things that are extremely common and found everywhere in abundance in this game) or lowering resolution these components won't take as much bandwidth, thereby allowing the CPU to keep doing its thing.

nickfrancis86

Nov 10, 2017
This is showing how clear it is that a lot of people can't see past graphics/resolution. This is why Sony and Microsoft push that they're consoles are 4K machines (even though they're not for the most part) because that is all most people see. Rather than thinking why those explosions look so good, or a particular scene looks amazing. It's generally not the resolution, its the computing and the physics going on in the background. It's takes a fair amount of CPU resources for great lighting, dynamic explosions, NCP AI to act realistically or believably, this list is almost endless. I for one am happy they have favoured performance over resolution.

The CPU on the PS4/XBone were old when the consoles actually released, they weren't able to change the CPU much for the Pro/X other than a slightly higher clockrate that some games can take advantage of, but are still limited by the base system hardware.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Again, the game has "rushed out" painted all over it. 90% of these technical issues arent because of 'sacrifices'.

Maybe so, I don't know the full development history of the game

My first comment in this thread was disagreeing with people using this game to justify a new generation being needed right now

WhiteNovember

Aug 15, 2018
And not a single one of them does one tenth of what Just Cause 4 does physics wise.
Don`t know if it is that easy. Not even complaining about the graphics. It does not have to look as good as Horizon or RDR and have all that crazy physic stuff, but it sure could look better. And it sounds like it could run better on Pcs, too.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dont excuse garbage fire textures and ps2 quality water because console cpu's are weak. The game runs just as well when youre in an area with good textures as it runs with bad. theres no universal downgrade across the board.
And what excuse do you have for busted color grading or bike controls being identical to jc3 or how cutscenes look like low bitrate 720p ?
literally nothing in that takes extra hardware power. The people who worked on this either didnt know how to or simply didnt give a fuck.
and fyi all 3 of those exist on pc too.

have you played the game or analysed its shortcomings to know that?
Bike controls in JC3 were fine, I don't see why they would change them . The issue was with the cars, which got fixed in 4.
I'll agree with the cutscenes being a weird kind of trash. It's puzzling why they didn't make them real time cutscenes since there's really nothing in them that justifies prerendered. On the other hand, I don't give a shit about cutscenes in a Just Cause game

danmaku

Nov 5, 2017
PC version has lot's of pop-in issues as well tho. It's not about weak hardware here. Avalanche are not that good at optimising their games.

That's crazy though, JC2 and Mad Max ran like a dream even on weak hardware. Seems to me that they're trying to cram too much fancy graphics tech for a game that asks you to destroy stuff, not look at it.

Vishmarx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Bike controls in JC3 were fine, I don't see why they would change them . The issue was with the cars, which got fixed in 4.
I'll agree with the cutscenes being a weird kind of trash. It's puzzling why they didn't make them real time cutscenes since there's really nothing in them that justifies prerendered. On the other hand, I don't give a shit about cutscenes in a Just Cause game

what about the busted color gradation?

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I took the below screenie last night on my 1X playing on a 4K screen. Sorry but I don't believe this was the best they could do.

FQNe53Y.jpg

And how about those textures!

Z9OPMYM.jpg
WTH ,,, this looks like last gen games.uncharted 3 on ps3 was better looking than this lol.yea yea , i know physics and open world and stuff but this type of graphics is not really the norm this gen .

VG Aficionado

Nov 6, 2017
That awful tree texture has to be a streaming bug, an oversight or any other technical issue. I know the game does a lot of things but that can't be right.

Not surprising that it's bad on consoles again. Perhaps they're overly ambitious with their engine scaling properly on the base consoles and it just doesn't in its current state.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
So in Just Cause 3 they focused on graphics, it performed like shit, and everyone was angry.
In Just Cause 4, they focused on performance, it looks like shit, and everyone is angry.

Can't please everyone I guess.

yeah, basically
There's only so much you can do to optimize.
As long as gameplay's intact i guess ?
Still can't wait to read DF findings

also cant compare the respective development budgets

also cant compare the respective development budgets

And not just that. JC4 is very different in structure.
RDR2 doesn't allow you to hop on a plane and zoom a dozen miles into the sky anytime and still see the landmass below.
Everything in RDR2 is very carefully crafted and placed around draw in. Saint Denis doesn't have mountains near it for a reason; it can never be seen from a distance.
JC4 has to brute force its way so that tech doesn't come in the way of freedom.
I don't know if they could do better because again, there's nothing quite like it to compare

Last edited:

KratosEnergyDrink

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If that means a stable 30fps then that's fine

Yet there's many graphically impressive games on these 'very weak' consoles

But these games are not very ambitious on the CPU side. All graphically impressive PS4/XOne games out there focus on detailed models and effects. AI or physic calculations play almost no role they focus lies on eye candy.

Its characteristic that one of the most impressive physic engines this gen runs on a Switch game, despite the fact that even the CPU of the base PS4 has more power, but for BotW the developer had been willing to sacrifice eye candy for other things.

Vishmarx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
UOdOKPi.jpg

Turn up the brightness and look at the dark spots. This isnt me fiddling with settings because the game doesnt even have brightness settings outside of hdr.

And then tell me what kind of raw horsepower proper color grading wouldve needed

This becomes exponentially worse underwater and in caves where theres no localized light sources.

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Why do you think CPU stress be affected by resolution? These consoles have shared bandwidth between CPU & GPU and things like resolution, alpha transparencies etc while being GPU centric still require a set amount of bandwidth. The CPU in the other hand requires a set amount of bandwidth as well and since the game is so heavy on physics it requires a lot more of it than in other games. Yet there is only so much bandwidth that can be used so something has to give so that the performance doesn't end up being bottlenecked because you are trying to push more than the available bandwidth.

By lowering the quality of transparencies like water & fire (two things that are extremely common and found everywhere in abundance in this game) or lowering resolution these components won't take as much bandwidth, thereby allowing the CPU to keep doing its thing.
Considered the bandwidth on the X I'm not so sure how solely the bandwidth was the issue. Even in the case they could opted of a sort of reconstruction or CBR like Ubisoft. It's not like on pc has no issue neither. Honestly I don't think was the best possible port. And by the way, I thought ps4 has dedicate gpu resources for the physics.

Last edited:

Lucifonz

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Said this a few days ago just seeing that early footage from IGN - it seemed to me that the PS4 Pro version was dipping under 1080p at times which is insane. Looked like the X was hitting around 1080p and slightly above just from eyeballing Youtube footage. Just a guess though.

Really interested to see DF's breakdown on this one, it seems to ensure smooth performance they've had to crank things right down, which feels like a somewhat scrappy way to solve things.

Shoshi

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
This is a good thing everyone! Good Bless Avalance!
We need lower resolution and better framerate!

Kapten

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
Yet they have the most powerful console now.

Regardless, those posts were hyperbolic fanboyism

Yes they do.

The question was regarding the original One, not the X, and since there used to be quite a big resolution difference before on PS4 and One, I imagine it was an honest question.
Hyperbolic of course, but honest.

Edward

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Well people wanted stable performance. Here you go.

Now complain about "subpar" graphics and lower resolutions.
I'm 100% fine with the lower resolution. But this also just shows how we need to adapt the mobile method of releasing consoles more often. Base consoles every 4 years with a "Pro" or "S" model in-between. We're at a point where there shouldn't be problems running PS4 games on PS7.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Do what you gotta do. Physics aside, it has that look of Far Cry on the last two gens. If it's stable then they did well I guess. Sure there will be a definite edition for next gen.

xrnzaaas

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Performance should always be the priority, but it's still sad to see it go down so much.