• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Just Cause 2 - Marvel of an engine. Could run on a toaster A-Ok, those water graphics were amazing.
Just Cause 3 - 25 FPS just passable mess
Just Cause 4 - ? is the deal is getting worse all the time.

I don't mind much though. JC2 and Mad max has made me a fan of Avalance Studios. And Rage 2 looks equally amazing.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
Just Cause 2 - Marvel of an engine. Could run on a toaster A-Ok, those water graphics were amazing.
Just Cause 3 - 25 FPS just passable mess
Just Cause 4 - ? is the deal is getting worse all the time.

I don't mind much though. JC2 and Mad max has made me a fan of Avalance Studios. And Rage 2 looks equally amazing.
JC2, Mad Max, and Rage 2 are handled by the Sweden team. So I suppose on that information that Avalanche Sweden is the better team and Avalanche New York is the less capable team. I can't judge JC4 too much personally cause I decided to hold off. Maybe the next entry by the NY team will be better (assuming the franchise gets another entry).

Deleted member 22585

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
Artistic oversight lmao.
Anyone with functional eyesight can notice that the second you approach water.
Hell the color gradation issue is visible in the first 5 minutes when you enter a cave.
If youre in hdr its in the main menu itself.

I don't disagree, they definately fail at some stuff and the game has its rough spots. I just mean that generally speaking, we can see how limited they were due to the hardware at hand. Regarding shadow draw distance, resolution, textures etc.

Sure, games like Horizon: ZD look miles better. But I think a direct comparison is quite difficult because JC4 does so much destruction and mayhem that just isn't in other games.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
Should I post the performance threads full of issues for Hitman and AC Odyssey?

I have a gaming PC too, and that often is a headache of it's own. JC4 just seems to be a mess in every regard, I don't think consoles are really at fault
If you want an uncompromising 60fps there is literally no other option other than a PC. Even Arkham Knight eventually got brute forced to a solid 60fps. Odyssey and Hitman will also run at 60 if you throw enough money at it. This was in response to a hypothetical scenario where every non 60fps game is banned from a console. That's not going to happen next gen.

JC4 seems to be having some streaming issues. The performance doesn't seem to be the problem this time. I'm guessing they rushed it out for the holidays.

Vishmarx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't disagree, they definately fail at some stuff and the game has its rough spots. I just mean that generally speaking, we can see how limited they were due to the hardware at hand. Regarding shadow draw distance, resolution, textures etc.

Sure, games like Horizon: ZD look miles better. But I think a direct comparison is quite difficult because JC4 does so much destruction and mayhem that just isn't in other games.

Im saying they were limited more by their deadlines than hardware

Oct 27, 2017
I took the below screenie last night on my 1X playing on a 4K screen. Sorry but I don't believe this was the best they could do.

FQNe53Y.jpg

And how about those textures!

Z9OPMYM.jpg

This type of shit is so pretty. There were a metric fuckton of textures like this in Nier Automata for example, where I'd walk around a rock that looked perfectly textured on one side and a PS1 texture on the other. I don't remember some massive backlash against that, even though it was a much smaller game than Just Cause and still cost exactly the same, AA or AAA be damned.

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
I'm sorry but a game with another constant physics engine just came out and is not only the best looking game out there, runs at 4K on the X and most importantly, it, along with pretty much every other game I've played this gen, doesn't have Gen 5 textures.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry if this is already answered in this thread, the One S version is what I have. Do we know what that runs at? I might refund it...

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
lol

Get a PC mang. Even JC3 runs like butter on a high end rig.

I've got a PC, I'm running JC4 @ 1440p at above 60FPS constantly. But I don't find performance on consoles acceptable still, and this extends out to exclusives/console games (like RDR2). Using PC has made me hypersensitive to framerates below 60, and it's a shame because it makes playing Bloodborne again and getting through Red Dead Redemption 2 a chore more than anything. I couldn't imagine trying to get through JC4 with the state it's in.

I guess the point in my comment was that people shouldn't settle for anything less than 1080p/60FPS and should stop the pursuit of graphical fidelity for the sake of game feel regardless of what platform you're on. Games are bigger and "better" than ever, but feel like they've regressed significantly on consoles. Of course, this is something that should (hopefully) be solved with next gen consoles, but we'll have to see where efforts are focused this go around.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This type of shit is so pretty. There were a metric fuckton of textures like this in Nier Automata for example, where I'd walk around a rock that looked perfectly textured on one side and a PS1 texture on the other. I don't remember some massive backlash against that, even though it was a much smaller game than Just Cause and still cost exactly the same, AA or AAA be damned.

Look at how the two games are marketed and I think you'll understand the difference in reception between the two.

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Regarding what a few people asked about base XBO performance:

OG XBO runs the jaguar cores at a minimally higher clock than base PS4 (because of better cooling I think, XBO S is even a bit higher than that), so it will likely be the same performance as on PS4... both running at 720p.

Will be interesting to watch how this develops though.

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
Situations like this show it really is getting time for a next generation. Thankful I'm on a Pro/X.
What lmao. This has to do with the developer not the consoles. Red dead literally just came out

People that say its the consoles fault: they might be severely underpowered, but...it doesn't look good on PC either. The cutscenes are also ridiculously low quality and the map has parts on it that just feel straight up unfinished. The Just Cause subreddit is full of screenshots and videos, but some examples:

https://www.reddit.com/r/JustCause/comments/a3agtg/are_you_fucking_kidding_me/
https://www.reddit.com/r/JustCause/comments/a35wnp/trees_growing_underwater/

I feel like this is less about consoles being underpowered and more about the developers running out of time/budget.
Dude lmao in a year with God of War, Spider-Man, FH4 & now RDR2 ppl are really blaming the consoles lmaooooo

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's becoming pretty clear the game was rushed out. Even the PC version has missing textures and entire effects that don't seem to be working at the moment. To be fair they did focus on performance and with the storm effects and all the stuff flying around that's a lot of physics based content putting a strain on these joke console CPUs. Something had to give if it wasn't going to be the framerate, but that being said yes I think it's clear now it could be better. There shouldn't be entire effects that flat out don't work.

TetraGenesis

Oct 27, 2017
I started playing it last night and, while it's fun to get back to the fast-flying mayhem, it's definitely the ugliest game I've played on PS4 Pro.

It's not just unimpressive, it looks, like, broken. I'm not being hyperbolic, it genuinely looks like there's some rendering issue that needs to get patched. The colors, the aliasing, the resolution, the (lack of) shaders — nothing looks... right.

I understand having an aggressive dynamic resolution and detail scaler for this game, I welcome it! But... if a lot of this stuff is dynamic, the top end is still extremely low — even on PS4 Pro. Near the beginning of the game you are walking around this environment at a slow pace (awesome environment artistically, I love it) and since it's on the underside of a bridge, apart from the limited, (relatively) geometrically simple path in front of you, everything else is in the distance and at a lower LOD. Yet still, this is where I noticed a lot of the issues.

The resolution in this segment looked like 1080p with zero AA of any kind, or perhaps sub 1080p. There is weird light shimmer and other stuff on Rico's hair and clothes in certain scenes, far more than the already prevalent pixel shimmer, this seems straight up glitchy. A lot of the colors are this weird kind of saturated as if there's not actually a light source on them, and they're just being shown whiteboxed, it's uncanny and something I don't recall seeing this generation. As if there were almost no shaders to speak of. The HDR is definitely faked and, while RDR2 does that too, the colors and lighting in this look so uncanny and unnatural no matter how I mess with gamma, HDR brightness, and HDR peak brightness, I can't get it to look okay. There is this inscrutable color banding in dark areas even in live gameplay where at a certain point, grays just jump to this blueish black, but it moves all around as you move your camera. Even the motion blur feels like it activates too early or too late or something. I can't put my finger on it because I only played an hour and a half or something, but I know it made me raise my eyebrows the first time I noticed it.

Look, I liked Just Cause 3 so this isn't saltiness related to that. I played JC3 for the first time earlier this year and it ran fine on PS4 Pro with Boost Mode activated while looking way better than this. I expected dynamic rendering systems that traded visuals for performance when needed (especially during storms), but I can't comprehend both the performance and visuals in even the slowest moments on this supposedly much-improved engine.

Hope some of it is revealed to be patchable.

UOdOKPi.jpg

Turn up the brightness and look at the dark spots. This isnt me fiddling with settings because the game doesnt even have brightness settings outside of hdr.

And then tell me what kind of raw horsepower proper color grading wouldve needed

This becomes exponentially worse underwater and in caves where theres no localized light sources.

Yes!! This is the weird and terrible color banding I was mentioning above.

And for anyone wondering, it's not just prerendered cutscenes. It's in actual gameplay as well.

I really hope ps5 in 2019. I can't survive to stuff like this for other 2 years.

Do not blame this game's problems on the hardware. It looks really rough even on XB1X.

Ps5 will be out in Fall 2019 or more probably Spring 2020. It's not going to be 2 year, but more like just a bit more than one year of waiting.

Oh god, 2019ers even in this thread.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Ever since 2014, every time there's an unoptimized game released on consoles, y'all start jumping out with the "NEXT GEN CAN'T COME SOON ENOUGH" babble...

How easily did some of you guys forget we had games like God of War, Red Dead, Spider Man, Shadow of Tomb Raider etc come out this very year, which pushed the boundaries of visual presentation in consoles to new heights.

Don't blame the hardware for un-optimized games.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
If you want an uncompromising 60fps there is literally no other option other than a PC. Even Arkham Knight eventually got brute forced to a solid 60fps. Odyssey and Hitman will also run at 60 if you throw enough money at it. This was in response to a hypothetical scenario where every non 60fps game is banned from a console. That's not going to happen next gen.

JC4 seems to be having some streaming issues. The performance doesn't seem to be the problem this time. I'm guessing they rushed it out for the holidays.
I think some folks are having some performance issues on the PC side, but hey at least it's running better than JC3?

This NY studio has struck out twice already. It seems the major talent in that studio is all in Sweden. That Mad Max game was totally solid, and was technically stunning

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017

Yep, every game has worts. Including exclusives.

Fart Master

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
A dumpster
Just Cause games are pretty demanding and the base hardware is getting quite a bit long in the tooth. It's not that surprising imo.
No Offense but that's bullshit. Just Cause 2 released on vastly weaker hardware at the time and Avalanche was able to make the game run incredibly well by working within the confines of the hardware. Everyone in the industry understands the limitations of current hardware at this junction and even back when just cause 3 they probably did too but for some bizarre reason Avalanche decided that releasing a game that was clearly not polished enough was okay. I can only imagine that they just figured that since last gen games got away with worse they could get away with that.

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
It looks like shit on all consoles.

Why would you even think this?
Probably due to the 50% difference in rendering power between vanilla Xbox and PS4. Games kind BF4 ran at 720p and 900p respectively. In this case the lower end would likely be 576p on Xbox One, but who knows.

Ah, didn't know the game was that focused on the CPU.

Thank you!
The game is CPU bound on PC, but the dev's said it's GPU for the console versions. Of course, the specifics may be far more complicated, based on people posting here about how undercooked it seems.

Fart Master

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
A dumpster
And not a single one of them does one tenth of what Just Cause 4 does physics wise.
This, you can't say RDR2 or GoW look good and this is lazy/poorly optimised, this game is doing back end physics chicanery and that isn't simple
Stop excusing this blatant cash grab

IO didn't release either hitman games with performance issues, what they did with crowd density in those games would have obliterated the best CPUs in the market. IO worked for years to get the desired results and then optimized for months after release even when at day 1 Hitman 2016 ran fine. Avalanche or Square or whomever just don't give a single shit. They could have taken an extra year to polish the game maybe tone down the aspects that cause issues but instead they decided that releasing in this state was okay.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
People that say its the consoles fault: they might be severely underpowered, but...it doesn't look good on PC either. The cutscenes are also ridiculously low quality and the map has parts on it that just feel straight up unfinished. The Just Cause subreddit is full of screenshots and videos, but some examples:

https://www.reddit.com/r/JustCause/comments/a3agtg/are_you_fucking_kidding_me/
https://www.reddit.com/r/JustCause/comments/a35wnp/trees_growing_underwater/

I feel like this is less about consoles being underpowered and more about the developers running out of time/budget.

Sounds like the game is a disaster all around.

chromatic9

Oct 25, 2017
Thought on JC3 it was mainly alpha effects.

Was there much of a graphical and physics leap from JC2 to JC3? Seemed more like they messed up rather than hardware being to blame. JC2 was very good on PC.

ApeEscaper

Oct 27, 2017
Bangladeshi
Nier was targeting 60fps

Oct 27, 2017
Ever since 2014, every time there's an unoptimized game released on consoles, y'all start jumping out with the "NEXT GEN CAN'T COME SOON ENOUGH" babble...

How easily did some of you guys forget we had games like God of War, Red Dead, Spider Man, Shadow of Tomb Raider etc come out this very year, which pushed the boundaries of visual presentation in consoles to new heights.

Don't blame the hardware for un-optimized games.
Visual presentation, yes - but Just Cause never was about that. All the games you've mentioned would not be able to run at that visual quality if they had explosions and physics running like in Just Cause 4.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Visual presentation, yes - but Just Cause never was about that. All the games you've mentioned would not be able to run at that visual quality if they had explosions and physics running like in Just Cause 4.

There's pictures and posts detailing the many streaming issues the game's also facing, and that seems to be happening on all platforms including PC's.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I guess it makes sense considering the physics stuff they are constantly doing on screen in an open world environment. There hasn't been any other game on that scale doing something like that offline to my knowledge.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Stop excusing this blatant cash grab

IO didn't release either hitman games with performance issues, what they did with crowd density in those games would have obliterated the best CPUs in the market. IO worked for years to get the desired results and then optimized for months after release even when at day 1 Hitman 2016 ran fine. Avalanche or Square or whomever just don't give a single shit. They could have taken an extra year to polish the game maybe tone down the aspects that cause issues but instead they decided that releasing in this state was okay.
Both HITMAN Season 1 and 2 had performance issues at launch. IOIs work is indeed phenomenal but let's not pretend it just came out perfect.
Just Cause 4 also has no performance issues. Did you miss that? They've gone to great lengths to ensure that as seen here.

Fart Master

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
A dumpster
Just Cause 2 was one of the prettiest games released back in 2010. The destruction was one aspect but whom ever was in charge back the knew that games are more than just explosions and insane physics.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
Seems both Just Cause 3 and 4 are technical disasters for totally different reasons. I guess I'd take this over JC3, which was borderline unplayable, but these are huge concessions.

SaiyanRaoh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New York
And not a single one of them does one tenth of what Just Cause 4 does physics wise.
Absolutely. Aside from the cutscenes looking bad, I'm very happy with the game. I've had so many laugh out loud moments because of the physics of the game. The background physics are equally entertaining. I saw a random helicopter crash into a mountain and I didn't even cause it. Physics everywhere. I love it. It goes a further in creating a live world for me than pretty water. Sure the game isn't a RDR 2 looker but
I've been playing on PC and I have no performance issues. I've played in 1080/60 with full effects, 1440/60 and 4k/30 with shadows/AA decreased.

Last edited:

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Did JC3 ever get into a position where it ran well on consoles? What about on the Pro and the X?