• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Flagship

Nov 6, 2017
720p in 2018 is ridiculous...

Sooo... you think the NSwitch is ridiculous? 🤔

As a slim PS4 and base XB1 owner: I get what i pay for at this point in the generation if I'm unwilling to upgrade or wait, I've accepted that. Doesn't mean they're off the hook, consistency in performance should always be prioritised (esp. for this franchise) as JC3 legitimately gave me a headache with it's slowdowns (I tried it for both consoles too).
It's just that I'd rather not get it at all or just wait for next gen if it were something I genuinely wanted to play. Just accepted it.

Folks make a big deal here about performance (and rightfully so) but I genuinely don't mind lower fidelity consistent 30fps and lower resolutions with great anti-aliasing and the like for now, I'd rather just be patient for a next gen console for titles that struggle and then return to them (much like I've done with OGX/360 backwards compatibility).

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018
This is just a piss poor optimized game. First JC3 and now JC4. The bottleneck of the ps4 cpu is a problem for sure, but here are many many games which look significantly better when develeopers know how to use their tools. Detroit, Horizon, Spiderman, GoW, BFV5, Assassins Creed Odyssey, Shadow of the Tomb Raider etc.

The consoles are not the problem why this game looks terrible on almost every platform.

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I could be wrong but I don't find excusable such show because you know shitty cpu on console. Even the resolution, I mean, there are tons of rendering tech available, reconstruction, CBR, temporal injection and so on, I remember a rainbow six title of Ubisoft used a very low resolution but thanks to their CBR or sort of, doesn't look that bad.
In my opinion is another SE disaster which seems completely incompetent to lead the project in the right hands giving, again, the free pass to the same team which isnt it comfortable with the console hardware environment. And they even rushed the release.

Last edited:

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is just a piss poor optimized game. First JC3 and now JC4. The bottleneck of the ps4 cpu is a problem for sure, but here are many many games which look significantly better when develeopers know how to use their tools. Detroit, Horizon, Spiderman, GoW, BFV5, Assassins Creed Odyssey, Shadow of the Tomb Raider etc.

The consoles are not the problem why this game looks terrible on almost every platform.

Those games are not a comparison to what JC4 is doing. The game is an open world with extremely physics heavy playgrounds, which taxes the CPU.

Im not defending the game. But it was expected after the disaster that was JC3 on consoles.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017

Not a single one of those games has any focus at all on calculating huge amounts of real-time-physics, which is extremely CPU-heavy, in a huge open world. In contrast, it's Just Cause 4's entire deal. A gigantic open world you can fly around in with other 400 km/h with no loading times and thousands of destructible objects everywhere. Comparing it to linear games like Detroit, Open-World-Games without destructible environments or any focus at all on physics simulation like Horizon or Spiderman or game swith relatively small maps and few destructible objects like Battlefield is nonsense.

You can't get a game that does what Just Cause does AND have it look like God of War AND have it run at 4K. That's just not how this works. It would be hilarious to compare the Just Cause 3 threads and their constant criticism about the terrible performance back in the day to this Just Cause 4 thread though, where Avalanche (rightfully) decided to scale down other parts of the presentation to make sure the game runs at a baseline 30fps...if it wasn't so depressing. Add to that that we don't have any actual footage to compare the different versions to but just a single sentence that vaguely states how some resolutions are reached on some occasions without being specific - with that being the only reason for this 5-page-thread of people shitting on the developer.

Last edited:

Deleted member 14927

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thinking of refunding this and getting hitman 2 instead.

Hopefully I'm under 2 hours.

Might buy it on pc in the future instead

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
Did JC3 ever get into a position where it ran well on consoles? What about on the Pro and the X?

I booted it up on my base PS4 yesterday after not playing it for years. The game's performance is.......really bad. Even worse than I remember. The big skyscraper-filled coastal city is the worst-performing piece of gaming this generation. I can't think of another game that comes close to running as poorly; the dips in to low double digits (think 15 fps or lower) is constant, weird shadow flicking everywhere, slow down, screen-tearing. It's unplayable.

I've really got to wonder what Avalanche New York/SE were thinking when developing these games. The player base is largest with the OG consoles, yet they release games that are clearly too ambitious for the amount of talent and time this studio has. I love the concept of Just Cause, but I was burned so badly by JC3, that it was going to take something really special to get me back on board. JC4 doesn't look like it is that thing.

Last edited:

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
I rented it on PS4 and it ran like DOGSHIT.

I then tried it on PC at 4k maxed. It was better, but still pretty embarrassing for a AAA title.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Artistic oversight lmao.
Anyone with functional eyesight can notice that the second you approach water.
Hell the color gradation issue is visible in the first 5 minutes when you enter a cave.
If youre in hdr its in the main menu itself.
Artistic Oversight when it's not a priority is indeed a thing though. Consider the water in Horizone Zero Dawn. Why do you think a game like that known for its technical prowess, is missing ripples and proper splashes then even though its so easily noticeable?