• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

argonsmash

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, was watching The Voice and saw the commercial for Just Dance 2018 and it has a Wii version.

Didn't know software was still being released for the Wii. 11 years after the system launched.

Looked it up and the Wii Mini is still being produced in Europe. Amazing!

Oct 27, 2017
Not gonna lie some of my best Xmas memories with my fiancé's family is playing Just Dance on the Wii On Xmas eve. I think it's Just Dance 3 they have.

I'm happy the Wii lives on even if it's a game like this. Console brought people together and still does.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
That's kinda interesting. So does it not tie into any of the DLC or monetization services they do with the other versions? If so I'm kinda surprised they'd be willing to sell a version of the game that they can't keep making money off of.

OP
OP
argonsmash

argonsmash

Oct 25, 2017

From the article: "The weirdness comes with Just Dance 2017. It arrived on lots of platforms and only managed a modest 26th place in the all-format chart. Here's the story though - 44% of those copies were the Wii version...Despite lacking some of the online features in current-gen efforts, there are still a number of people picking up the Wii version of this game. It's 2016 and this is still happening."

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I guess the main audience that got the Wii still use it for these kind of games. I wonder how well a new Wii Sports would sell if they put it on the Wii now.

OP
OP
argonsmash

argonsmash

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe with the success of the Switch they won't have to release those versions? Where are they even getting cases for Wii games?

Sure, could be if Switch keeps building its user base and captures those Wii users. Might have another year or two of releases though if the sales of the Wii version don't decline too much.

Shauni

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's kinda interesting. So does it not tie into any of the DLC or monetization services they do with the other versions? If so I'm kinda surprised they'd be willing to sell a version of the game that they can't keep making money off of.

While the overall licensing is expensive, the games themselves aren't and I'm sure it takes very little effort to port. It sells so much on its own apparently that I'm sure it's worth the effort

Deleted member 2171

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Wii version is the highest selling version since basically forever. The game amounts to an enhanced DVD in complexity to deploy at this point (yeah, i'm underplaying it, but the game is essentially a video shoot + some charting) - it won't make sense to stop releasing a Wii version until people stop buying it, or Nintendo shuts down Wii cert entirely. Hell, I'm almost assuming Nintendo is letting Ubi mostly self-cert JD at this point.

Last edited:

Boze Man

Oct 27, 2017
Bozeman, MT
A part of me feels bad for those few Complete Wii Collection people, who had to track down and pay for hard to find yet horrible games like Fritz Chess and Chuck E Cheese sports games, now having to drop $40 to add another Just Dance game to re-complete their collection or have an almost complete Wii collection.