• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Matrix XII

Oct 27, 2017
Such an awesome show. After completing it back in the day it was hard to like anything else for a while.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My favorite episodes will always be the Pierre episode and the Cowboy Andy episode.

And the one where they do drugs.

And the one where the spoiled food takes over the ship and kills them all.

And the one where they find that cult lead by the paralyzed guy.

And the last episode.

Fuck this is such a good show.

Japanmanx3

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Watanabe the God! Bebop and Champloo are essentials. I put DBZ in an untouchable realm. It supercedes all other anime's. But Bebop and Champloo are my definite top 2.

red13th

Oct 25, 2017
SĂŁo Paulo, Brazil
Cowboy Bebop is my favourite anime. I saw it was a teenager and it blew my mind.
I second the people who recommend Samurai Champloo. It's outstanding and definitely scratches the same itch. The Sara episodes...

Peacemillian

Oct 25, 2017
The GOAT episode.

1334415_1298703402082.91res_400_300.jpg

The video they find of the experiments gives me chills to this day.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yep, best anime of all time.
I saw the Seatbelts in concert in Paris, back in 2003. Half of the audience cried during a couple of songs lol

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
Incredible anime

One of my favorite episodes is ep 18 where Spike and Jet go to find a Betamax recorder to play the tape that was sent to Faye. Just an entertaining episode but then you get to the end when they play the tape. Such a great scene

Gungriffon

Oct 30, 2017
The best episode had to be Ballad of Falling Angels. That was the first episode I watched randomly on Adult Swim and after a few years I finally watched to whole series. The moment with Spike falling out of the church fighting Vicious is Top 5 Anime Moments for me.[/QUOTE
Same here. Had to watch the rest of the series after that.

RoyaleDuke

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Nowhere
Champloo is Bebop's direct successor in everyway, whereas Space Dandy is kind of a spiritual successor but still does its own thing. This show is the Bladerunner of animation.

Champloo is basically Bebop but during the age of Samurai, it has some funky things to it like Bebop did in that the shows soundtrack is inspired by Hip Hop and funk, and features work by the incredible talent of Nujabes. God Rest his soul.

It is also a story about three people going on an adventure and in a lot of ways it is lighter than bebop in tone, but there are episodes and points of the series that reach the same kind of seriousness in tone. The ending in particular is also the inverse of Cowboy Bebop's sad ending, it is a happy though, bittersweet one that reminds me of a riff on Yojimbo, where in the beginning of that film he tosses a stick in the middle of a forked road to figure out which path to take. In that same way, the ending of Samurai Champloo is very similar.

I caught Champloo and Bebop both back in the day and have rewatched them both several times, the music and animation and characters always make me go "This is art".

Oddish1

Oct 25, 2017
CzRCx.gif

Damnit, Spike.

What an amazing series. Awesome soundtrack, characters and action. There's not a ton of worldbuilding but you do get a good sense of the history of the places the series went to.

This one's been in my backlog for a while. The Super Eyepatch Wolf video is what me finally decide to jump on it. If you haven't seen it yet, get to it. Only 26 episodes and there was only one I didn't like (episode 22, with the cowboy).
Did you watch the movie? Watch the movie. It's like a longer and better animated episode of the series. It's really good.

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
Still my favourite anime series and one of the few I'm willing to recommend to people who don't watch anime. It's just that good.

Oct 25, 2017
I ordered The Complete Series last year on Amazon due to a special sale, along with OST.

I was extremely happy that I watched it, despite it was an old anime.

Oct 28, 2017
Loved this series. Ordered the Blu Ray set as soon as it was announced. Overall one of my favorite series ever in any medium, and I don't even like anime that much (nothing against anime, it has its merits imo, just not for me).

iAmPossum

Oct 29, 2017
This show is a classic and will always be one. Besides One Punch Man, I recommend this show to anyone who's casually into anime. Also I hope someday someone legit adopts this series into live action as the plot and the world could be interesting to see if handled well.

Last edited:

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
The locket song (memory) and piano bar 100% always get me.

Supreme mix of music and story - the selection of music is on point.

Chasex

Oct 29, 2017
Watch as Mai Yamane pours her soul into the ending theme of Cowboy Bebop - Blue. Gets me every time. The OST for this show is on another level.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
It's been 10 years now since I watched it for the first time and became obsessed with it. It's still my favourite anime.

leeky

Oct 27, 2017
Getting to know the crew over the course of the series was an experience unmatched by other stories in the medium. This series is timeless.

Booki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
The greatness of the series is magnified by the strong sense of nostalgia that it hits me with. Watching it on Adult Swim back in the day was an amazing experience that I've been chasing ever since (media wise).

The Ed & Ein clip was enough to make me tear up in the middle of the night, and I don't even like the Japanese VA. It's a really good show, y'all.

Eldy

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Glad you enjoyed it so much, OP! I'll add my voice to the chorus suggesting the movie next. :)

Champloo's in my backlog. Maybe I'll move it up

Samurai Champloo is a top ten anime series for me and I highly recommend it, but I'm not sure that rushing straight into it after Cowboy Bebop will do it any favors. It's similar enough that comparisons are inevitable, but it has its differences and I think is best appreciated as its own thing. I found the first half to be somewhat uneven but it's got some amazing emotional highs as well as some incredibly funny episodes. Anyway, I hope you enjoy it whenever you choose to watch it!

If you watch Space Dandy, just don't expect anything too similar to Bebop and Champloo. It's an experimental series in a lot of ways, with a wide variety of storytelling and animation techniques from episode to episode. I honestly was not its biggest fan but it's probably still worth a watch at some point (and I know plenty of people who loved it).