• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
So funny to see this. Just watched Mando when a friend was like "we should watch the Gravity Falls Weirdmageddon again". And now we're at the apocalyptic mall scene.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
It was great - but so short.

I also recommend the modern Ducktales, which has a similar feel to it (so far, I'm only partway through the first season).

Nelo Ice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
One of my favorite shows ever. Even went ahead and bought the blu ray collection which I never do. Also going to echo many others here and say watch the new DuckTales.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
OP has seen the light.

tenor.gif

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I think that was purposeful.

Partly in case the creator ever feels like revisiting the series again. And partly because a lot of what makes Gravity Falls unique is how much mystery is left unsolved in the background.
I just want to know if Gravity Falls was weird because of Bill, or Bill was attracted to that place because it was weird

Antoo

May 1, 2019
Watch the new Ducktales. It's spectacular and better than the original. It has season long story arcs as well as more traditional episodes that have an adventure wrapped up by the end.

Oct 26, 2017
I just want to know if Gravity Falls was weird because of Bill, or Bill was attracted to that place because it was weird
I definitely think it wasn't Bill that caused all the weirdness. Gravity Falls is more a less a magnet for weird stuff and it just so happened to be the perfect place for Bill to enact his plan.

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Random good modern cartoon suggestion: Trollhunters

It also has a sci-fi sequel/spinoff, 3Below. And an upcoming fantasy spinoff, Wizards.

I definitely think it wasn't Bill that caused all the weirdness. Gravity Falls is more a less a magnet for weird stuff and it just so happened to be the perfect place for Bill to enact his plan.
Ford mentioned in his flashback episode, he was weird, so he decided to study weirdness, and then he discovered that Gravity Falls was ground zero for weirdness so he went there, and then after studying the weird things in Gravity Falls for a while he started to wonder where all the weirdness was coming from, so he postulated that there was "a dimension of weirdness" that was leaking into his normal dimension. So, to better understand the weirdness he was studying, he built the portal to "punch a hole" through the weakest point between the two dimensions.

And then it was revealed that Bill was the one who taught Ford how to make the portal.

I don't think Bill was attracted to Gravity Falls as part of the normal weirdness of Gravity Falls, Bill (and his weird dimension) was the source of the weirdness.

Of course, then Ford tells Dipper about the crashed UFO, and ponders whether the UFO crash caused the weirdness, or whether the UFO crashed because of the weirdness. I would take that as Ford questioning whether the UFO crash damaged the dimensional walls, or whether the thin dimensional walls messed with the UFO and caused it to crash. But that would require a forensic investigation of the UFO crash, and a deep understanding of UFO technology and how it interacts with dimensions.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I like it better that way. I like that that Gravity Falls is a weirdness blackhole that makes the rest of the world less weird because it sucks it all in

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
All I can say is...

I vehemently disagree with every opinion that Gravity Falls is > Adventure Time. They're both really great shows but Adventure Time's music and the overall adventure and lesson... it's just leagues beyond Gravity Falls.

I can't speak on Steven Universe because I haven't seen it all. What I have seen is great though.

Kivvi

Jun 25, 2018
Gravity Fall, Infinity Train, Gumball (save for season one) are fucking great.
Steven Universe after the great first season finally and excellent second season went down hill for me tho.
Lots of great cartoons in the last decade.

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
Not What He Seems is bar-none one of the greatest half-hours of TV animation to grace the screen.

tumblr_nkp3mh0pqb1u25f20o1_1280.png

It took an entire first season and some change to set the plot for this going in, and the payoff was absolute perfection. I still get goosebumps thinking about the tense stand-off that bookends the episode.

In a perfect world it would have made the perfect capstone for Season 2, leaving all of theoretical Season 3 to deal with the aftermath instead of the (too) few episodes we had left in S2.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Not What He Seems is bar-none one of the greatest half-hours of TV animation to grace the screen.

It took an entire first season and some change to set the plot for this going in, and the payoff was absolute perfection. I still get goosebumps thinking about the tense stand-off that bookends the episode.

100% with you. That final scene was one of those moments where I thought to myself "This isn't just an amazing cartoon; this is amazing television, period."

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017

In a perfect world it would have made the perfect capstone for Season 2, leaving all of theoretical Season 3 to deal with the aftermath instead of the (too) few episodes we had left in S2.
The wait between this episode and the next almost drove me mad with anticipation. Some of those Gravity Fall waits were crazy. Animation takes time but boy was I excited.

OP
OP

Deleted member 4292

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All I can say is...

I vehemently disagree with every opinion that Gravity Falls is > Adventure Time. They're both really great shows but Adventure Time's music and the overall adventure and lesson... it's just leagues beyond Gravity Falls.

I can't speak on Steven Universe because I haven't seen it all. What I have seen is great though.
Overall I think Adventure Time is better, but I'm still feeling that Gravity Falls ending is better.

Deleted member 4353

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wanted to bump this. Just watched this again for the first time since 2017 and my god is it still so great. The finale was fantastic man. I think I'll do adventure time next as I've always wanted to do that.

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017
Watched it for the first time a few months ago and I loved it. Probably my second favourite cartoon after ATLA.

Think I need to watch Over the Garden Wall next. Maybe Hilda too.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Random good modern cartoon suggestion: Trollhunters

It also has a sci-fi sequel/spinoff, 3Below. And an upcoming fantasy spinoff, Wizards.

Ford mentioned in his flashback episode, he was weird, so he decided to study weirdness, and then he discovered that Gravity Falls was ground zero for weirdness so he went there, and then after studying the weird things in Gravity Falls for a while he started to wonder where all the weirdness was coming from, so he postulated that there was "a dimension of weirdness" that was leaking into his normal dimension. So, to better understand the weirdness he was studying, he built the portal to "punch a hole" through the weakest point between the two dimensions.

And then it was revealed that Bill was the one who taught Ford how to make the portal.

I don't think Bill was attracted to Gravity Falls as part of the normal weirdness of Gravity Falls, Bill (and his weird dimension) was the source of the weirdness.

Of course, then Ford tells Dipper about the crashed UFO, and ponders whether the UFO crash caused the weirdness, or whether the UFO crashed because of the weirdness. I would take that as Ford questioning whether the UFO crash damaged the dimensional walls, or whether the thin dimensional walls messed with the UFO and caused it to crash. But that would require a forensic investigation of the UFO crash, and a deep understanding of UFO technology and how it interacts with dimensions.

I double for Trollhunters. It only kept getting better and better. Characters are all wonderfully written. No one is a one-off character.

I'm not a fan of the alien sequel it got. But I am excited for the upcoming wizards show set in the same town.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
I got into OK KO shortly before it ended and now it's one of my favorite cartoons of all time.