• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

eKongDiddy

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Beach City
Man I am so excited today! 2018 is starting off amazing! I got into college and am working towards my Computer Information Systems degree, and not two weeks later, I've landed at a high paying IT Support job for a semi-major company! I'm kind of freaking out, though, because I'm not as knowledgeable as everyone at the company seems. I'm gonna be doing a lot of working and adapting to this new corporate-style environment! Any veterans in the field? Any tips or anything?

Anything awesome happening today or this past week for anyone?

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
Don't do any work assigned to you. Tell them it's below you. You'll get a promotion without doing any work.

Mr Jones

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Congrats!

What do you mean IT Support? Tech support? Call center support? Is it specialized (server, switch/firewall, phone), or general (workstations, internal / external clients)?

Deleted member 4413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Congrats!

Corporate lifestyle sucks in the US imo. Much happier since they let my department start working from home.

ShaheedMalik

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Congrats, I guess?
hqdefault.jpg

OP
OP
eKongDiddy

eKongDiddy

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Beach City
Congrats!

What do you mean IT Support? Tech support? Call center support? Is it specialized (server, switch/firewall, phone), or general (workstations, internal / external clients)?

General Tech support. Working on computers and call center mix. The company deal mainly with military/government services. I have to get a Secret clearance so I guess I can't tlak too much about it haha.

MrRob

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Unless you lied on your job application or in the interview then they are probably aware that you are at a lower skill level than most of their current employees so I wouldn't stress it. Take the opportunity to learn on the job.

FiXalaS

Oct 27, 2017
Kuwait.
Unless you lied on your job application or in the interview then they are probably aware that you are at a lower skill level than most of their current employees so I wouldn't stress it. Take the opportunity to learn on the job.

Yea if they interviewed you and hired you they know what you're capable of so don't worry. ^^

Quazar

Oct 27, 2017
Congrats! Don't worry about the knowledge gap they know they will be training you. Make sure to celebrate this victory as well, you will be busy with school/work going forward.

I recently got promotion and alot more pay at my IT job. So I feel you excitement!

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
Congrats on the new job, OP!

I met someone I really clicked with this week, and our first date went really well. Hopefully things will go well with her. I haven't had luck in the past, and have never been in a relationship.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Don't do any work assigned to you. Tell them it's below you. You'll get a promotion without doing any work.

Haha. The cold hard truth. Also if you ever get put into an Infrastructure (Server/Network hybrid role) job then you're practically bulletproof in the public sector/government. Find your niche and stick to it since they'll always think your needed then, even in restructures.

Sectorseven

Oct 25, 2017
Always give them longer estimates on repair time, that way it will look like you're over delivering.

Osa15

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Congrats, surprised you were able to get such a job while still working towards the completion of your computer information system degree(or perhaps you already have years of experience in the industry?). Most big companies that I know have degree and/or years experience as a prerequisite to even be considered. Once, you are in though, things get much easier with the longer you are with company.

Xion385

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Welcome to IT. Where 90% of your problems is understanding what the user's problem. Also, welcome to the job where you sometimes fix a problem, but don't actually know how you fixed it.

Forsaken82

Oct 27, 2017
You just got into college and 2 weeks later got a high paying job in your field? Is it Full time? If you are doing school full time and a career full time position, all I can say is Goodluck!

I remember working part time 30 hours a week in addition to 16 credit hours per week each quarter and that shit was rough.

Chasex

Oct 29, 2017
Congrats! I know how exciting landing that first IT job is. It's a huge deal because once you're in and get some experience, you have basically secured a financially comfortable life. Enjoy this moment.

I worked full time at a help desk for over two years while going to school, it's possible to do but very stressful. The benefit for me was learning things in school and seeing them applied in real life. Feels like I got double the education. Do stay in school and get your degree because eventually you need to move up from help desk and need those credentials.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man I am so excited today! 2018 is starting off amazing! I got into college and am working towards my Computer Information Systems degree, and not two weeks later, I've landed at a high paying IT Support job for a semi-major company! I'm kind of freaking out, though, because I'm not as knowledgeable as everyone at the company seems. I'm gonna be doing a lot of working and adapting to this new corporate-style environment! Any veterans in the field? Any tips or anything?

Congratulations! IT has changed my life. I can almost function as a normal adult. My first IT job was miserable, but it got me in the door. It gets easier. I wish you all the best. If for some reason you have a rough time, remember that every environment is different. At least you'll know what kind of place not to pick.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
Congrats, surprised you were able to get such a job while still working towards the completion of your computer information system degree(or perhaps you already have years of experience in the industry?). Most big companies that I know have degree and/or years experience as a prerequisite to even be considered. Once, you are in though, things get much easier with the longer you are with company.

That's the issue I'm having. Currently going to school, but I can't get my foot in the door since I don't have any certs/degrees/experience. I was in the military for 12 years in a different career field and that's effecting me.

Auctopus

Self-requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not entirely sure what your "support" position is but remember nobody should think they're "better" than the helpdesk. Everyone should be able to take and resolve calls/tickets from customers.

Welcome to IT. Where 90% of your problems is understanding what the user's problem. Also, welcome to the job where you sometimes fix a problem, but don't actually know how you fixed it.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
Don't worry, you're an idiot, every one you work for is an idiot, people you'll be helping idiots, people who help you idiots. Incompetence rises upwards. Intelligence and skill is the least useful thing in our world, especially the working world. All that matters is persistence applied correctly.

Fart Master

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
A dumpster
How far are you into your degree? I'm also a CIS major.
I started school last fall but if I can start applying than I will.

Last edited:

iguanadolphin

Nov 2, 2017
Don't worry, you're an idiot, every one you work for is an idiot, people you'll be helping idiots, people who help you idiots. Incompetence rises upwards. Intelligence and skill is the least useful thing in our world, especially the working world. All that matters is persistence applied correctly.
I'm glad I don't work with you or in your work place.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
I'm glad I don't work with you or in your work place.

It's every place I've ever worked, obviously there are smart and knowledgeable people, but we don't live in a merit based society, smart people making smart decisions isn't how the world works or relies on, so all of us being constantly afraid that we are the idiots at the job, is silly.

DonShula

Oct 25, 2017
If you worked at my company, the secret to your success would be keeping your queue just full enough to make it look like you're always busy, marking half of your tickets as "waiting on vendor," escalating anything you don't like working on, and feigning ignorance when you get a call from someone who actually knows what they're talking about.

But congrats!

Fredo

Oct 30, 2017
Build up a systematic approach to how you handle issues. Wasting time by blindly trying to apply fixes or giving an issue the wrong priority are pitfalls you want to avoid.

Make sure you understand the issue before you do anything. If the information provided is unclear you go back to the user and gather the necessary information. Information like:

Steps to reproduce: what are the steps to trigger the issue. This is important for you or others to understand and reproduce the issue. Also if you can't reproduce the issue then you can't confirm if any applied fixes solved it.

Number of users affected: is it a local issue or a general issue. This is important to understand the impact of the issue, where to look for the issue and what kind of priority to give the issue. If a user says everyone at the office is having the issue then you can skip trying to poke around on that one user's machine and escalate quickly if you can't figure it out (many users impacted likely impact operations in a costly way).

Screenshots, frequency and timestamps are also very helpful bits of information, especially if you have to escalate. Also always gather this information even if you know early on that you have to escalate. Someone more experienced and skilled shouldn't waste time gathering the information when you can do that. They will also very much appreciate that you did a proper job and would be more willing to share how they solved the issue.

Contact details. Don't trust the company's people directory or details from Active Directory. Verify the phone number where you can get ahold of the user if needed.

You need to be less concerned about not knowing the answers and more concerned with acting on an issue. If you don't know how to proceed the worst you can do is freeze or go idle. Ask someone for help. But yes, many times you won't even know who to ask. Build up your own contact lists and force yourself to find out who to contact for specific systems, subjects, etc.

If you have any sort of natural excitement for IT and want to learn, then you will do fine and hopefully keep your ambition up to gain knowledge and experience that can open new doors. Good luck.

Quazar

Oct 27, 2017
That's the issue I'm having. Currently going to school, but I can't get my foot in the door since I don't have any certs/degrees/experience. I was in the military for 12 years in a different career field and that's effecting me.

What about internships? I was making 20/hr doing one. Are you near any major city?

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Enjoy. Been IT forever and it never gets boring, everyday is different, and you never ever stop learning. If this is your passion you'll love it.

Go in guns blazing. Out work everyone else and soak in everything. Offer help to everyone that wants it.

WildZero

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Aberdeen, Scotland

Google. Seriously, that website will be your best friend for any tech support issues.

OP
OP
eKongDiddy

eKongDiddy

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Beach City

Yea if they interviewed you and hired you they know what you're capable of so don't worry. ^^

I literally said, "If I'm unsure how to resolve it, I would research and learn!" So many times haha
They asked questions like 'How would you open the command prompt?" "In this scenario the clients computer won't display anything on a monitor. What would you do?" "What is needed for a computer to run?"

You just got into college and 2 weeks later got a high paying job in your field? Is it Full time? If you are doing school full time and a career full time position, all I can say is Goodluck!

I remember working part time 30 hours a week in addition to 16 credit hours per week each quarter and that shit was rough.

Yea I started January 18th. I have a passion for computers but I'm no expert, you know? I know my way around windows and have tinkered with PCs. I've alwts wanted to go into the CIS field, and was finally able to go to college! They said they will work around my schedule, but he job comes first so next semester I'll have to do majority online and some on campus.

How far are you into your degree? I'm also a CIS major.
I started school last fall but if I can start applying than I will.

I literally just started on Jan 18th! I'm actually kind of terrified that I'm advancing so fast. I'm definitely researching and asking questions from people who have been at the company for a while. I do training this Monday. Some of he posts here are helpful too!

Fart Master

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
A dumpster
I literally said, "If I'm unsure how to resolve it, I would research and learn!" So many times haha
They asked questions like 'How would you open the command prompt?" "In this scenario the clients computer won't display anything on a monitor. What would you do?" "What is needed for a computer to run?"

Yea I started January 18th. I have a passion for computers but I'm no expert, you know? I know my way around windows and have tinkered with PCs. I've alwts wanted to go into the CIS field, and was finally able to go to college! They said they will work around my schedule, but he job comes first so next semester I'll have to do majority online and some on campus.

I literally just started on Jan 18th! I'm actually kind of terrified that I'm advancing so fast. I'm definitely researching and asking questions from people who have been at the company for a while. I do training this Monday. Some of he posts here are helpful too!
wow well I'm gonna start applying, wish me luck homie
Edit: what's the name of your position

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Build up a systematic approach to how you handle issues. Wasting time by blindly trying to apply fixes or giving an issue the wrong priority are pitfalls you want to avoid.

Make sure you understand the issue before you do anything. If the information provided is unclear you go back to the user and gather the necessary information. Information like:

Steps to reproduce: what are the steps to trigger the issue. This is important for you or others to understand and reproduce the issue. Also if you can't reproduce the issue then you can't confirm if any applied fixes solved it.

Number of users affected: is it a local issue or a general issue. This is important to understand the impact of the issue, where to look for the issue and what kind of priority to give the issue. If a user says everyone at the office is having the issue then you can skip trying to poke around on that one user's machine and escalate quickly if you can't figure it out (many users impacted likely impact operations in a costly way).

Screenshots, frequency and timestamps are also very helpful bits of information, especially if you have to escalate. Also always gather this information even if you know early on that you have to escalate. Someone more experienced and skilled shouldn't waste time gathering the information when you can do that. They will also very much appreciate that you did a proper job and would be more willing to share how they solved the issue.

Contact details. Don't trust the company's people directory or details from Active Directory. Verify the phone number where you can get ahold of the user if needed.

You need to be less concerned about not knowing the answers and more concerned with acting on an issue. If you don't know how to proceed the worst you can do is freeze or go idle. Ask someone for help. But yes, many times you won't even know who to ask. Build up your own contact lists and force yourself to find out who to contact for specific systems, subjects, etc.

If you have any sort of natural excitement for IT and want to learn, then you will do fine and hopefully keep your ambition up to gain knowledge and experience that can open new doors. Good luck.
Dude seriously? Fuck all that the first thing you do is Google the problem.

Congrats to you. You managed to do what Soldier can't.