• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No no no. Do not do this. Stay in the right lanes and ONLY use the left lane for passing. It drives me crazy that people don't understand this simple concept and it affects traffic flow so much.
That is only for two lane highways. Three or more you do not want to stay in the right lane until your exitnifnitnis on the right.

MIMIC

Dec 18, 2017
-Signal any time you're turning or changing lanes.

-Don't block the intersection during heavy traffic. Pay attention to how much room you have in front of you so you don't end up sitting in the middle of the intersection.

VAD

Oct 28, 2017
Don't make not being annoying a priority. Just focus on your driving and apply what you learned at the driving school. Think before you act and check your mirrors as often as possible. Don't worry if you seem to take a long time to act, older drivers can be a little irritable and impatient but they are not the boss of you and never panic and rush things, that's when you become dangerous.

SweetVermouth

Banned
Mar 5, 2018
-Drive safely
-Don't use your phone
-Use turn signals
-Don't use your phone
-Stay calm
-Don't answer your goddamn phone

Thunder11

Oct 27, 2017
DONT drive under the speed limit or slower than flow of traffic

DONT turn out on to a road immediatley in front of people when you're going to be driving slower than the people behind you - let them go first if you're going to hold them all up

DONT slam on your brakes to not pass through a yellow light

If it's a flashing yellow left turn, and there are no cars coming, then fucking turn, don't be overly apprehensive about the car coming who's turning right, into the same place you are anyways

On the highway, get the fuck out of the left lane if you're not passing. If you're too apprehensive to pass relatively quickly, then slow the hell down and stay in the right lane

Deleted member 2595

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Always indicate. Always.

Nothing worse than assholes (on any road, motorway or residential area etc) suddenly slowing down and shifting position while you end up rushing up their ass because they aren't indicating.

I'll give you a few.

Be decisive. Don't take forever making a lane change. Signal, look, and go.

Don't use your turn signal way too early. If you are coming to an intersection or drive you are going to turn into, but there are still driveways or streets before your turn, don't use your signal until halfway through the last drive/street before your turn. Others may think you are turning there and pull out infront of you.

Don't block driveways.

Zipper merge and let others merge infront of you.

Don't be a gawker who slows down to see WTF is going on in.

If you are not sure of the speed limit keep up with traffic.

Don't use your phone at all. Regardless of what people think, even hands free is dangerous because those having discussions over the phone are too distracted even if their hands are on the wheel.

Great post except for

"If you are not sure of the speed limit keep up with traffic."

This can still technically get you in trouble. Luckily, in the UK at least, you can work out the speed of the road you're on within 10 seconds no matter where you are in the country.

Assuming you're in a normal car (not a van or anything) and you can't see any speed limit signs, then:
  • does it have regular street lights? Yes - it's 30mph
  • does it have no/rare street lights? Yes - it's 60mph
  • even if either of the above are true, does it have blue road signs? Yes - then it's a motorway, 70mph
Any exception to these three rules will have "repeater" speed limit signs every 25 yards or so.

With this quick rule of thumb, within a few seconds you can work out what speed to go no matter what.

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The signal should be such an obvious thing, but nobody uses it. So let me throw another "Use. Your. Signal." onto the pile.

Also, if you are ever about to miss your turn somewhere, do NOT try and swerve over in front of someone to make it last second. Go up the next exit/intersection and loop back/find a way to get on the road you need from there.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Can I just get some general tips that I should keep in mind while driving. I don't want to annoy anyone on the road (even though that will happen regardless). Just things that you've learned with experience.
I'm assuming you can just follow the rules laid out in the test you just passed.

My biggest pet peeve is people who don't use their blinker, especially at four way stop signs.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
If you pull out, even with plenty of room with cars coming, accelerate to the speed limit at minimum. So annoying when somebody pulls out a hundred yards ahead of me but I still end up right on top of them because they accelerate like a snail in mud.

As others have said, don't tailgate. Leave a few car lengths between you and the car in front of you.

SweetVermouth

Banned
Mar 5, 2018
Another tip:
Don't insist on your priority. If it's your turn to go first but someone doesn't see you, don't risk an accident by trying to go first. Expect other driver's to make mistakes and stay calm abou it because you're eventually making mistakes yourself.

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Always indicate. Always.

Nothing worse than assholes (on any road, motorway or residential area etc) suddenly slowing down and shifting position while you end up rushing up their ass because they aren't indicating.

Great post except for

"If you are not sure of the speed limit keep up with traffic."

In the UK at least, you can work out the speed of the road you're on within 10 seconds no matter where you are in the country.

Assuming you're in a normal car (not a van or anything):
  • does it have regular street lights? It's 30mph
  • does it have no/rare street lights? It's 60mph
  • even if either of the above are true, does it have blue road signs? It's a motorway, 70mph
Any exception to these three rules will have "repeater" speed limit signs every 25 yards or so.

With this quick rule of thumb, within a few seconds you can work out what speed to go no matter what.
But the if traffic is say doing 10-15 miles over, you would be endangering yourself and others by doing the speed limit.

It similar here, neighborhood streets ar 15MPH, neighborhood main streets, 25MPH, City roads 40MPH, freeways 70MPH.

Rhomega

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Adjust your side-mirrors properly. You should not see your own car if you're sitting straight up. Remember, you're trying to see down the lane next to you, not what's directly behind you.

Thatonedice1

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Working on that also.
Make sure you always go slower then anyone else in traffic to be polite. When you need to get into the other lane make sure not move over until the person that's already in that lane is like right behind your car to show your dominance. Don't forget to text and drive, who you are talking to on the phone is definitely more important then the people's who's lives you are actively endangering. Also if you don't have a car just take one that's just sitting in a parking lot. We like to share them. And remember, if you get pull over, tell the cop to piss off and then flip him off. They won't retaliate at all.

Duck-Zilla

Feb 21, 2018
don't tailgate,
don't pass from the right lane,
don't use your high-beam when there's incoming traffic,
use your blinkers BEFORE you start changing lane,
somewhat respect speed limits,
don't use your phone,

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you pull out, even with plenty of room with cars coming, accelerate to the speed limit at minimum. So annoying when somebody pulls out a hundred yards ahead of me but I still end up right on top of them because they accelerate like a snail in mud.

As others have said, don't tailgate. Leave a few car lengths between you and the car in front of you.
4 seconds is a good distance and leaves plenty to stop or get around at most speeds.

I should add when possible hit the freeway at or near the speed limit. Can't stand fucks who hit the freeway from the ramp at 20-40 then try to accelerate to 70.

May 10, 2018
Definitely agree with speeding up if you pull out in front of people.

People act like they're fucking James Bond and make it there life's mission to get in front of you only to slow down to damn near a halt. Honestly feels like intentional trolling at this point.

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Would you go 10, 15 over in your driving test? No you wouldn't because you'd fail. It's a speed limit. You don't go over the speed limit.
I did. I kept pace when I was on the freeway. I did not fail. I was told while I exceeded the limit, I was keeping with others and not endangering others or myself. But then, this was the 1990. Different time.

Bleu

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
always use your blinkers
respect safety distances between cars
Your phone is off and in your pocket.

ghostemoji

Oct 27, 2017
Ignore the guy who says stay out of the right lane. Keep an eye on the on ramp and you can move over to let them on safely.

Stay out of the left lane unless you're going faster than the people in the right lane(s).

Turning left at a light with no left turn signal? Pull into the intersection while waiting for a break in traffic! Then proceed with your left turn after the light turns yellow (or there is a break in traffic). You'll never get a chance to turn left on a busy road if you do not do this and everyone behind you will hate you.

thefro

Oct 25, 2017
Stay ~2 seconds behind the car in front of you, 2x-3x that in snow/ice so you have time to react/stop/slow down if shit happens. Beyond being unsafe, it's annoying to get tailgated by someone.

Turn on your lights at night or when it's raining/foggy.

Use turn signals in a timely manner (i.e. don't leave them on for 30 seconds or 2 seconds before you turn)

Stay out of the left lane unless you're passing and if there's someone going faster than you, get over to the right lane to let them through.

If there's construction on an Interstate and it goes down to one lane, merge before the last second.

Generally you should try to go in the speed of traffic, even if that's above the posted speed limit.

Try to be considerate and not cut people off, etc, but you have to strike a balance between being confident and tentative.

Kivvi

Jun 25, 2018
Do not feel intimidated by drivers who drive right behind your ass, you are not driving to slow they are just dicks. Not worth a ticket and points for just ignore them.

Venatio

Oct 25, 2017
S.M.O.G.

When changing lanes,
1)Signal
2)Mirror
3)Over Your Shoulder
4)Go

Step 3, checking Over Your Shoulder before changing lanes, has saved my ass several times. Don't change lanes unless you're positive it's clear to change lanes.

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Don't drink and drive. That one's easy to say but sometimes people make bad decisions or get in situations where you feel like you have to drive especially when you're young. No shame if you start to drive and need to pull over; be smart and think of everyone else out there too. Leave it over night and Uber.

I live in the northeast and it's fucking scary how many nips are all over the road (airplane bottles/one shot). I walk to the grocery store near work when I take a break and there's a ton thrown everywhere all along my walk in a heavily trafficked area.

Also be careful smoking and driving too for that matter.

Slipknot666

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
So you got a driving license and you are asking about driving tips?

No wonder driving culture is the US is terrible

Anyway. Don't ever cross an interception if you are not 100% sure cars are coming. Fuck the people in the back who start honking

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maintain a safe following distance and get the hell out of the left lane if you're not passing the surrounding traffic.

neon_dream

Dec 18, 2017
Lane Changes

Check your mirrors
Turn on your blinkers
Wait at least 1 second
Check your blind spot
Change lanes

I don't know when it happened, but in the past 10 years or so I've seen so many self-centered shitheads just changing lanes without signalling or even looking. Idiots are going to cause a major accident some day. Also fuck you for being so selfish and thoughtless.

Last edited:

Deleted member 11822

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Do not tailgate.
If you live somewhere with snow clean off your roof.
Stay off you phone (yes even at stop lights).

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
Stay in your lane when turning. As in, don't turn left from the right side lane and end up in the left side lane before your turn is complete.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
Use your turn signals is the biggest one.

A more local one that may or may not be applicable is learning how to use a roundabout properly. You yield to traffic already in the roundabout you don't be a jackass and just charge in hoping for the best. Also on the subject a yield sign is not a stop sign if there is no one in the roundabout you don't have to come to a complete stop.

DiceHands

Oct 27, 2017
Dont blare your shitty music as loud as possible with the windows down and bass up through neighborhoods, apartment complexes or public spaces in general.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Do not check people out while driving.

If you are Black don't get a luxury car until your skills have improved. 5-0 already got their eye on you due to the car and you'll naturally make rookie driving mistakes.

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017
Use your blinkers.
Use the left lane for passing on hwys.
Don't tailgate.
Don't use your phone while driving.

Lys Skygge

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
You'll have to check your local driving laws, but at least here in Arizona, bus-lanes can be used as right turning lanes. Sometimes assholes here will slow to a stop on a 45mph road to make a right turn from the main road when there's an open bus-lane they could merge into and turn from.

I'm sure this is allowed in a lot of places, but again, I'd check your local laws first.

Kivvi

Jun 25, 2018
So you got a driving license and you are asking about driving tips?

No wonder driving culture is the US is terrible

Anyway. Don't ever cross an interception if you are not 100% sure cars are coming. Fuck the people in the back who start honking
Be angry at the people who drive horrible not at OP who is trying to better himself at it.

Quick

Oct 25, 2017
Certain places adhere to a fast lane in their highways. Don't go to that lane if you're not comfortable driving so fast. People get really aggressive on it sometimes.

LilWayneSuckz

Oct 25, 2017
If you're in a lane to the left and you're driving slower than the person behind you or to the right of you, move over to the furthest lane to the right.