• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I'm waiting in an ER room while my mom's getting x-rays since it hurts her to move. I think most of it is whiplash and being scared.

Ive gotten everything done on my end with the cops and insurance and all that, but I'm worried about her. I have health and car insurance and it was 100% the other guy's fault, he didnt even try to fight it.

I was stopped completely behind a few cars stopped for a school bus. It was foggy and we were heading east (directly facing the sun). At the last second I heard his tires screech and saw his '89 F150 in the rear view mirror and thought, "Welp, I'm about to get wrecked."

I hit my head pretty hard on the steering wheel, I mightve broken my nose and am definitely gonna have a black eye but I'm alright.

I kind of feel bad for the other guy because he's so screwed, but it is what it is. As soon as I gathered my wits from the crash, I came out of my car screaming at the top of my lungs until I got to his window and saw how scared he was, probably a few years older than me (24). He was bumbling his words and gave me his insurance card right away. We waited till the cops came. I rode with the ambulance with my mom to the hospital since they said it wouldnt cost me anything.

Anyway, sorry for rambling, just kind of shakened up. I hope it's just whiplash but if it's anything bad that would really suck. She's a single mom raising my 8 year old sister, my step-dad's in jail for armed robbery, and she cant drive because of a couple DUI's, which is why Im visiting her before moving out to LA in October so I can take care of her and drive her around to her job and stuff like that (that's what we were on our way to).

I guess I'm sharing this because Im not really sure how to help her if this ends up being bad or how it works when the other guy is fully at fault. She's saying she has a tickling feeling going up her leg and back but I'll leave that up to the people who know what theyre doing.

Pics of the damage:
RtNXqVL.jpg

WMlK8wx.jpg

Last edited:

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
This is covered by the other person's insurance surely?

Dec 13, 2017
Lawyer up dude, your mom's stuff will be paid for. Don't feel too bad about it, the lawyer will be going after his insurance company. Pretty much happens in any crash regardless of how bad it is.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
You posted the same pic twice. Glad y'r okay. Also, damage isn't too bad. Airbags didn't deploy? I'm sure your mom will be fine. You guys are gonna be sore as hell for a while tho! Hope for a speedy recovery!

ChaosXVI

Oct 25, 2017
I work for a major insurance company in auto claims, specifically for injuries. Here's what you do: Check with your own auto insurance to see if you carry Medical Payments or Personal Injury Protection coverage (depending upon your state). That can pay bills as they are incurred up to a certain policy limit that you carry. Also depending upon your state, your auto insurance company can recover those payments from the other person's insurance company down the road.

If you do not have that coverage, then she should file a Bodily Injury claim with the other person's insurance company. This works more like a settlement. You will want to obtain proper copies of all of her medical bills, the associated records for those bills, along with any wage loss she might want to claim if she misses any work. Ideally, the other company will tally everything up and then make her an offer to settle her claim that would consist of a lump sum payment that includes: Payment for considered bills, wage loss, and something to address her pain and suffering. You would also be able to file such a claim since you yourself were also hurt.

Hopefully that helps.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
Since it's a rear-end job, the guy's insurance should cover it.

Glad you're ok though (hopefully not a broken nose!) and hope your mom is as well.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
Not sure if it's the case in your state, but in mine being rear-ended is the fault of the behind driver, no matter the extenuating circumstances.

Therefore, this should be considered the other driver's fault, so you shouldn't have to pay a dime for replacing your car and/or your medical bills.

Tapiozona

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Sorry man, never fun when this happens. How bad was the other guy's truck? I remember hitting a nissan altima back in high school with my dad's F250 and their car looked similar to this. Surprisingly my dad's truck had barely a dent in the bumper and if you didn't know to look for it you'd have never known. The trunks on these cars crumple like paper but I guess that's a good thing since it absorbs the impact quite well. In my case I think the height of my truck was above their frame which explains why there was so little damage.

Vas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think you sue the guy who rear-ended you, though? He or she probably doesn't have any money, which would render it fruitless. You sue the car manufacturer and people like that.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, this should be covered. Glad you went through the appropriate channels to make sure everything is documented.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Many auto insurance policies carry medical care benefits, and in some states (like Kentucky) it's required. It's often called something like "no fault" or "personal injury protection" or "med pay." This would be your policy, so be sure to check your car insurance and your mom's (and possibly even anyone that lives in your households if they have separate auto policies) for anything like that to help cover medical expenses.

Oct 30, 2017
Get a lawyer. My wife was involved in a gnarly wreck years ago. We didn't pay a dime once the other driver was found at fault. Hospital bills were covered as was a large down payment on a new car.

OP
OP
Prolepro

Prolepro

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
You posted the same pic twice. Glad y'r okay. Also, damage isn't too bad. Airbags didn't deploy?
Yeah I just noticed and thought "maybe I hit my head harder than I thought" lol. I think it's just my nerves still.

No they did not. I asked why and the cops and paramedics all said they wouldnt in that situation. I thought they would have.

Urgh

Banned
May 10, 2019
User Warned: Inappropriate commentary
I felt bad about your mother until I saw she had multiple DUIs; then i lost all sympathy.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
Oof. Sorry OP.

We actually had a terrible accident here a week or two ago...Dumptruck driver wasn't paying attention and rear-ended a bunch of stopped cars. Killed 2 or 3 people and injured like 10 others.

I can't fucking stand folks who are on their phones doing something BESIDES paying attention to the road. Glad you're OK and hope your mother makes a full recovery...But yeah, someone else is going to have to pay for all that shit you're dealing with (insurance of the other dude).

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I just noticed and thought "maybe I hit my head harder than I thought" lol. I think it's just my nerves still.

No they did not. I asked why and the cops and paramedics all said they wouldnt in that situation. I thought they would have.
I'm sure you guys are gonna be fine. Whiplash is def. gonna suck but besides that I bet some rest for a few days will do you guys well.

ExKage

Sep 9, 2019
I don't think you sue the guy who rear-ended you, though? He or she probably doesn't have any money, which would render it fruitless. You sue the car manufacturer and people like that.
No. You (or your legal representative) or your car insurance goes to the other driver's insurance and if not their insurance, the driver. They're the ones responsible for the injury. Car manufacturer is not at fault.

ChaosXVI

Oct 25, 2017
Also, while some say get a lawyer, and I get why, it's not always the best option, especially if the injuries aren't major (i.e. no broken bones). Attorneys generally take 33-40% of the total settlement, and if the insurance company he has is reputable, you'd be more likely to walk away with more if you don't use a lawyer, but feel comfortable working with the claims person (like me) yourself.

But if you aren't comfortable with that, get a lawyer. I'd say a little less than half of people in my claim files do.

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Good luck. Hopefully you have good personal injury coverage coverage through your own auto insurer, because it's unlikely that a 24 year old driving a 30 year old truck has enough.

OP
OP
Prolepro

Prolepro

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Oof. Sorry OP.

We actually had a terrible accident here a week or two ago...Dumptruck driver wasn't paying attention and rear-ended a bunch of stopped cars. Killed 2 or 3 people and injured like 10 others.

I can't fucking stand folks who are on their phones doing something BESIDES paying attention to the road. Glad you're OK and hope your mother makes a full recovery...But yeah, someone else is going to have to pay for all that shit you're dealing with (insurance of the other dude).
Im starting to think thats what it was. I remember the first thing I did when I got to his window was eyeing the interior for any containers or guns or anything like that. His phone was in his cupholder but that was about 20 seconds after the wreck so he couldve gotten it from somewhere else in that time.

Rad Bandolar

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
I know I have health insurance (carry my card with me) but Ive never used it.
These are two separate things. Your auto insurance policy may have medical coverage associated with it, and perhaps the other party's as well.

It's distinct from health insurance.

Edit: I'm older, so I have all the bells and whistles in my insurance, but I know some states require some form of medical coverage. You may have it -- check your policy. Call your insurance company to report the accident and get details on your policy and your options. The other party should have something in theirs as well to protect them in case of this scenario.

You should get checked by a doctor as well. Also, consult with an attorney. First consults are always free to at least go over your options.

Last edited:

Carl2282

Oct 25, 2017
I work for a major insurance company in auto claims, specifically for injuries. Here's what you do: Check with your own auto insurance to see if you carry Medical Payments or Personal Injury Protection coverage (depending upon your state). That can pay bills as they are incurred up to a certain policy limit that you carry. Also depending upon your state, your auto insurance company can recover those payments from the other person's insurance company down the road.

If you do not have that coverage, then she should file a Bodily Injury claim with the other person's insurance company. This works more like a settlement. You will want to obtain proper copies of all of her medical bills, the associated records for those bills, along with any wage loss she might want to claim if she misses any work. Ideally, the other company will tally everything up and then make her an offer to settle her claim that would consist of a lump sum payment that includes: Payment for considered bills, wage loss, and something to address her pain and suffering. You would also be able to file such a claim since you yourself were also hurt.

Hopefully that helps.
I just wanted to say that this could be the best approach if you guys want the issued resolved quickly. You should also look over your household uninsured / underinsured motorist coverage. Hope your mom gets back on her feet soon.

Vas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not unless the cars both exploded for no reason at all

No. You (or your legal representative) or your car insurance goes to the other driver's insurance and if not their insurance, the driver. They're the ones responsible for the injury. Car manufacturer is not at fault.

Well, it's not a hard no like that. I know from first-hand experience that I can't go into to much detail because of an NDA. But I can say, I think (hope, at least lol), that in my experience, even though the other driver was at fault in the wreck, the offended party went after the car manufacturer and got a big settlement. It depends on the situation. Basically, despite being a wreck, the offended party shouldn't have been as injured as they were. Lo and behold, they found that it was the result of a known defect.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, it's not a hard no like that. I know from first-hand experience that I can't go into to much detail because of an NDA. But I can say, I think (hope, at least lol), that in my experience, even though a driver was at fault in a wreck, the offended party went after the car manufacturer and got a big settlement. It depends on the situation.
i mean before we go after insurance

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If your mom ends up being ok; don't sue the guy like many of the people suggested here. Obviously, if your mom is indeed injured and will need assistance in the future, that's a different story.

it was obviously an accident and he is already pretty fucked because of this for the foreseeable future.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Correct me if I'm wrong someone, but your mom's hospital bills (and yours) are covered by the person who hit you by their auto insurance policy. You and your mom will not have to pay anything, maybe a nominal out of pocket co-pay or something but probably not and itll be reimbursed if so. If you get a bill in the mail like from an ambulance company or the hospital or something, call your auto-insurance company and tell them that you got a bill and they negotiate with the at-fault driver's insurance (normally, your auto insurance company pays it and then they get that money refunded from the ijnsurance company for the at-fault driver)

And no, no don't go to an attorney. Call your auto insurance company and file a claim, they ask you "is anybody hurt?" Work with your auto insurance company first, if you have an agent who represents you that's easiest, but if not, your auto insurance company will take care of the paper work and negotiating for you. Only after then, if that person's insurance does not cover or cannot, or if they're uninsured to a certain amount, is when you should go to a lawyer... but lawyering up is a long and expensive process, and it's best to work with your insurance company first.

Most states have mandatory auto-insurance for driving. Sounds like the other guy is insured, this should be routine. Well, as routine as accidents can be.

This is what auto insurance is for, don't lawyer up.

Last edited:

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone texting while driving should have their license revoked for at least a year.

The stakes are way too high, look at that damage holy shit.

o Tesseract

Oct 28, 2017
Adrenaline, realization your car is busted, and your mom was injured. Maybe because he's a fucking human and human's react in certain ways when unexpectedly rear-ended with a loved one right next to them. Have some perspective ffs.
Yeah seriously. I don't know a single person that wouldn't freak out in that situation. People freak out in different ways. Maybe they shouldn't, but, human nature.