• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ry-dog

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The best times to any film are in the morning or during the week straight after 5pm. Most people are away eating dinner

Oct 30, 2017
I think I had my worst movie watching experience last week when I saw avengers again. Couple of parents let their kids run around the theater screaming during the movie and management just didn't give a shit.

Oct 26, 2017
I've never heard clicking at a movie, why do people do that? That sounds super weird.

American cinemas sounds like hell on earth.

I never really had an experience like this, people here mostly stay quiet and silent.

But what is this clicking thing? Can someone explain it?

I haven't seen the film yet, but if you watch the trailer, there's a clicking sound made by the tongue that's prevalent throughout. People are probably just making fun of that since I've heard quite a few people mimic it whenever the trailer comes on before the feature presentation.

Oct 31, 2017
That sucks OP. Historically, I've been pretty lucky with theater experiences and crowds, though I went to see IT last year for a second time and it was one of the worst experiences I'd ever had in the theater. Like, unbelievably bad.

Was a group of young teen girls who were just talking constantly and then laughing and being over-the-top loud during any scene. And when they were just generally chatting, it wasn't like they were whispering, it was like they were just straight up TALKING over the movie. Eventually, someone in the audience had enough after ~40 minutes or so and they were removed by ushers. The only time I've ever actually people removed from a theater. It felt great though, lmao.

But then in the same audience, there was also these two girls sitting dead center of the theater, and over the course of the movie, they probably took over TEN SELFIES WITH THE FLASH ON. Like, who the fuck does that? What the fuck is wrong with people? I'm the kind of person who doesn't let shit get to me/make a scene in public, but man, I almost made a scene with these two different groups of people because they were both incredibly obnoxious and inconsiderate.

So yeah, people being jackasses ruining a film people paid money for is super annoying.

plain

Oct 27, 2017
There were some old folks in my screening giggling. Kinda ruined the built up tension.

OP
OP
Armadilo

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've never heard clicking at a movie, why do people do that? That sounds super weird.

And yeah 90% of my movies I prefer tue-friday afternoon ~noon, my dolby/imax theaters around me usually have only 8-10 people then (in a 150 person theater) so its pretty gloriously quiet, the concession lines are non existent, and its nice. For a few movies (Infinity War, Star Wars) I'll go thursday opening night for the crowds which I've never had a problem in, mostly I imagine because its pretty big fans who have to buy tickets in the 2-3 weeks before the day since they sell out fast for that kind of night.
a character in the film does that and people like to copy what they see and hear sadly

Oct 27, 2017
I wish they made movies streamable sooner, make it expensive if you have to. I'll pay.

Sooner or later it's just going to be Disney movies at the cinema. I didn't think I would ever say this but I'm ready for the death of cinema :p.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
i just go to expensive theaters. moviepass ruined cheap theaters tho, I don't do regular hours for movies. either the second matinee showing of the day to avoid olds or I just wait a week when most buzz for most movies die.

I wish they made movies streamable sooner, make it expensive if you have to. I'll pay.

Sooner or later it's just going to be Disney movies at the cinema. I didn't think I would ever say this but I'm ready for the death of cinema :p.

they did. and it failed four years in.

Mikey

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was expecting phones being used, babies crying, people throwing up.

A few instances of laughter and background noise is not that big of a deal.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
[CEpro]

Prima Cinema was a pioneer in the emerging category of "day-and-date" movie releases, allowing consumers to view just-released films in the privacy of their own home theaters.

Those customers today are twiddling their thumbs, waiting for new flicks to arrive. Prima Cinema has gone dark.

"Movies that were supposed to be available in early December still aren't downloaded," says one dealer who asked not to be named.

At the hefty price of $35,000 for the server and $500 per movie (for a one-time viewing), the Prima system made its way into private cinemas of the rich and famous, as well as screening rooms of producers, directors and other Hollywood types.

Today, however, dealers tell CE Pro that they and their clients "can't get customer service or tech support" and that "nobody answers the phone."

At least one dealer who requested anonymity has a server in for repair, unable to get it returned.

"It's like they disappeared into thin air," says a Prima rep, who also asked not to be identified.

In November, CE Pro reached out to Prima CEO Shawn Yeager, who responded immediately via Linkedin, but was not ready to comment on the state of the company. Two other requests for comment went unanswered.

The company moved a few months ago into a one-room office, which was dark when this reporter stopped by. The room was filled with gear and boxes.

that article is from 2016 and their website is currently a black screen with a bit of info http://www.primacinema.com/

too high of a bar for entry and the service just wasn't there. Maybe one day when the US gets unlimited, uncapped and free bandwith and the costs are reduced substantially, it'll take off.

Sean Parker also tried his hand at it in 2016:

https://deadline.com/2016/03/the-sc...stribution-exhibition-controversy-1201717454/

Essentially, $150 gets one a set-top box, with a $50 per-movie charge for a 48-hour rental. From what Deadline has learned, the concept is in the idea stage, but the whole idea has a number of executives in distribution and exhibition raising torches and pitchforks. Despite surrounding himself with former Sony distribution honcho Jeff Blake as a consultant, Parker is a Hollywood outsider — he's the guy who (with Shawn and John Fanning) appeared seemingly out of nowhere with the controversial free music service Napster before metal band Metallica led the charge against them and pushed them into a major legal battle that had implications for the entire music industry.

Said one major studio distribution executive tonight, "This news is so damaging, I can't tell you right now how unhappy I am." Another warned that if the Screening Room becomes a reality, "it would be the beginning of the end, and half of the theaters in this country would close." While the Variety report cites AMC Theatres being close to a deal, Deadline heard that Regal Entertainment Group — which has been critical of any attempt at thwarting the exhibition viewing window — has completely thumbed its nose at the idea. Parker's plan– which is said to be in its R&D phase — is to cut exhibitors in for as much $20 per movie, along with providing consumers who shell out $50 with two tickets to see the movie at a theater of their choice. That's so exhibition can make money off of concessions sales later. However, cutting theaters in on a deal that ultimately harms their existence is not being embraced. "Hopefully, this will fail," said one film buyer in exhibition.

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
Bullllllllshit!

I will take a crowd of teenagers over a crowd of old people any day of the fucking week.

Old people in a group together talk like nobody's business. The difference is that you feel worse telling a gaggle of old ladies to shut their fucking pie holes than you do teenagers.

Teenagers will usually talk due to an overabundance of enthusiasm. Old people will usually talk due to an overabundance of entitlement.

Hahaha I was just about to post something similar but lets be serious its probably mostly due to an overabundance of confusion. To my shame the most aggressive I have ever been at a theater was when a group made up of a mix of the Golden Girls and Matlock were loudly trying to play catch to the plot and after trying to whisper to them to be quiet (Which they didn't hear) I finally had to get pretty loud. They hushed up for the rest of the movie but I could feel their eyes on me like I was Biff.

Mike Works

Oct 28, 2017
When I went to see Infinity War, there was one guy in a group of friends sitting in the row in front of me that would laugh WAY louder and WAY more often than everyone else in the theater. Sometimes he was laughing at legit jokes, but sometimes at just... nothing. He made it so we legit couldn't hear any follow up lines after a joke.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
There's a part early on where it shows a diorama of the mother and grandma in the hospital after the former has given birth, and it's portrayed like a classical art piece or religious scene. The doll of the grandma's wearing clothing that leaves one of her breasts bare, and one girl at the back of the theatre very loudly yells, "OMG, is that a boob?!" and starts laughing. At one point later on someone else just started losing it and had to have someone behind them tell them to shut up.

Thankfully everyone shut the fuck up for that scene but there were definitely some shitlords in the audience tonight. It didn't ruin the movie, but I'll be glad to rewatch it alone when it comes out.

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
Hahaha I was just about to post something similar but lets be serious its probably mostly due to an overabundance of confusion. To my shame the most aggressive I have ever been at a theater was when a group made up of a mix of the Golden Girls and Matlock were loudly trying to play catch to the plot and after trying to whisper to them to be quiet (Which they didn't hear) I finally had to get pretty loud. They hushed up for the rest of the movie but I could feel their eyes on me like I was Biff.
Old people are all about the running commentary to their partners and explaining that they understood the joke.

OP
OP
Armadilo

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was expecting phones being used, babies crying, people throwing up.

A few instances of laughter and background noise is not that big of a deal.
So imagine you're trying to watch a movie and every couple of minutes someone starts making a noise and it's people in front and even behind you, they even do it when it's dead silence, it was that bad

Hokahey

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is why I love seeing movies either really late or at lunch. My own private screening.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely. Old people can be the worst. They are the type to walk in the middle and very slowly so that you can't pass them to the left or right. The ultimate trolls.
is it too much for you youngsters to walk up and say "excuse me, sir. May I pass?" it's like people are afraid to talk to one another these days.

The Shape

Nov 7, 2017
Brazil
I'm finding it harder and harder to watch a movie at the theater that's not a superhero or blockbuster film. People are extremely disrespectful nowadays.

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
nothing beats the bro behind me at ready player one who felt the need to tell his friend every reference he noticed.

"heh. the shining."

Gengahrrr

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't The Alamo have staff serving drinks and shit during the movie?

It's been a while since I lived in the US. I remember only ever wanting to see movies at the Arclight.

Yeah, but this is true for any dine-in movie experience here.

It's a trade-off I'll take, if it means having staff constantly at the ready to take care of rude people.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That sucks OP. I was hoping it wouldn't have this problem being R rated. A lot of horror films nowadays are PG-13 so they can get the highschool moviegoers and because they don't think R movies can make money. My viewing of A Quiet Place had a problem because of that.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
I laughed really loud towards the end. A few other people did too. So I don't feel bad about it.

When the son jumped out the window. It was like that Dark Souls gif, he said, "NOPE".

Oct 27, 2017
Like fuck man I'm just trying to watch a movie.

Maybe because it's a horror film or more of an artistic film if that's the excuse because these people kept being distracting and just plain disrespectful to those that wanted to enjoy a film.

From making clicking sounds throughout the film, to laughing really loud for no reason. I understand that sometimes things can be a little funny but come on! that shit isn't that hilarious especially when it's 2018 and nudity is still funny because they're uncomfortable.

Hopefully you guys get a better experience or just wait until you can watch it at your own house.

I waited MONTHS for The VVitch to finally hit my local one-screen theatre...and had a woman show up halfway through, yelling to her friend, talked shit the ENTIRE time, and at the end yelled out "Well that was fucking stupid".

Absolutely ruined the experience for me, and I had been waiting ages for that film. I'm still pissed off about it.

Jam

Oct 25, 2017
Had plenty of bad experiences with horror films in cinemas.

Problem is horror films attract a certain crowd of people that go in to shit on it. 'It thinks it's scary? While I'll show them! Lololol'.

Horror films are also usually quite 'arty' or 'lowest common denominator' - so when you can get a horror film that tries something it isn't appreciated by people who want to see people getting stabbed whilst having sex.

People see horror films as a bit of a challenge, and to be honest you need to take the films at face value to like them. If you go in with a 'it's just a film made by other people with tricks to try and make you scared' of course you'll see through it and it becomes transparent.

In the last couple of years alone I've had viewings of The Babadook, It Follows, The VVitch and others kinda spoiled by people loudly laughing or shouting things like 'this is shit' in the middle of the film. I can't remember which film it was but one showing at the end someone stood up and shouted 'what a load of shit that was!' And like 30 people roared laughing and applauded him - what the fuck?

Horror films are great. Horror film fans are great. General audiences in horror screenings suck.

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
listen, there's nothing wrong with wanting to see people getting stabbed while they're having sex.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Don't go to see a horror movie on a Saturday night if you want a quiet, respectful audience.

And don't go see a PG-13 horror movie when school is out.

Just sad things I have learned.
To add a more obvious one -

always see animated kids movies at like, 10:30pm on a school night, lol. Had a few brutal Pixar screenings.

Don't watch movies on opening weekend or weekends in general..better results all around.
nah, opening weekend, especially opening night, is the absolute best way to watch a blockbuster.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
For that film the Premiere Day might be the best since the hardcore fans would most likely be the first ones to get tickets, which might lead to a greater experience
That's why me and my brother are going to see it on opening. I am lucky enough my local theater and horror crowds usually gel well when all the fans hit opening night. I saw Freddy VS. Jason like this for instance, and most of my love and nostalgia for that film is less quality related and more I saw it in a audience that were all fans too. Audience reactions were always on sync and in the right moments.

Not sure I would want to watch a serious horror film with that audience though.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I had a couple of teenagers clicking every now and then during the movie. Pretty annoying.

Deleted member 6949

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People were giggling a lot when I saw Hereditary, but it was the nervous kind where they were all paying attention to the movie and just couldn't believe what they were seeing. There are at least 2 moments that would make ANYONE either laugh or gasp.

Jam

Oct 25, 2017
listen, there's nothing wrong with wanting to see people getting stabbed while they're having sex.

RspJyHy.gif

Keyser S

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I got annoyed at a theater once and stood up and shouted at a group of 5 to be quite - they would not stop talking after multiple sushs 30 mins into a film. Some people clapped after I shouted and they group suddenly learned to whisper.

I am never usually that aggressive, but I was that one time, and it worked that one time, and I did not die afterwards walking home, so everything worked out.

Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
I got lucky with Hereditary since there were teens in the theater and I sat close to them. Only one of them did a clicking noise near the end of the movie, and I think someone told her to shut up because she didn't do it again.

It was a little annoying when the credits rolled and she kinda loudly said "Well i'm not telling anyone to see this piece of shit!" or something to that effect.

I thought it was real good ._.