• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
My showing was the same way. Nearly everyone I've talked to that's seen it has had awful theater experiences.

It sucks, theaters are the best place for me to see horror movies because you can get sucked in an immersed far more than you can at home but someone always ends up laughing at key moments

gagewood

Oct 25, 2017
From making clicking sounds throughout the film, to laughing really loud for no reason.

Same experience for me. It was a couple packs of annoying teenagers. They kept gasping then giggling at any important tense moments. It was really obnoxious.

Just implement the goddamn domes already, theater people.

0RVBmEI.png

Last edited:

HP_Wuvcraft

Oct 26, 2017
South of San Francisco
Yup.

It's common to come across huge asshole while watching horror film. If you see a big group of teenage friends come in together then you might as well just leave and ask for a refund because they're all going to act like it's MST3K.
Worst for me was Cabin in the Woods. Assholes in front of me decided that the movie was shit, so therefore the rest of the audience had to be subject to their stupidity.

Another one was during Avatar.
This entire family was eating very loudly right next to me, generally acting like they were at home. Someone told them to be quiet and the dad legit stood up and stared at the guy like he was gonna kill him.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
This entire family was eating very loudly right next to me, generally acting like they were at home. Someone told them to be quiet and the dad legit stood up and stared at the guy like he was gonna kill him.
During Solo a dad brought a bag of treats for them and 3-4 times during the movie dug through his SunChip style loud ass bag and once, after digging for a while and not finding what he wanted, turned on his phone's flashlight to find the snack he wanted. Annoying as shit.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
A quiet place was completely ruined for me because of people non stop eating, belching, and talking throughout the entire movie.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
A quiet place was completely ruined for me because of people non stop eating, belching, and talking throughout the entire movie.
One of the best theaters experiences for me has been watching A Quiet place because the audiences behaved like the family in the movie. People even ate popcorn as quiet as possible, it was crazy.

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
I had two high school girls being total dickheads and annoying. One of them climbed on top of the other near the end of the movie and they were being loud and obnoxious.

OP
OP
Armadilo

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People laugh at nudity?

What?
uncomfortably, I suppose some people don't watch GOT

One of the best theaters experiences for me has been watching A Quiet place because the audiences behaved like the family in the movie. People even ate popcorn as quiet as possible, it was crazy.

That was me, I was hella hungry so I had to eat something but it was super difficult because as soon as I grabbed popcorn it went silent and had to wait until there was some noise

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Both times that I've seen Hereditary I've had the same experience.

As someone in the industry myself, believe me, I want the death of theaters now more than ever.

OutofMana

Oct 25, 2017
California
I always tend to wait maybe a week when watching anything that might be considered a horror movie. The teens always tend to come opening day.
The theater I go to now is pretty good at stopping stuff like that. You get kicked out for using you cell phone or talking during the movie.

Malverde

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
I swore off horror movies after a similarly shitty time watching the Evil Dead remake. I made an exception for A Quiet Place which I saw in a Dolby theater and that experience was incredibly pleasant. During the quiet moments everyone was completely silent. I might as well have been watching it alone.

I pay for premium theater tickets because price is a great barrier for shitheads. I've never had a bad IMAX 3D experience.

This has been my experience with Dolby screenings of stuff. I don't know if it is because the price is a barrier or if it is because you are more likely to get kicked out if someone complains to management. I saw Deadpool and Infinity War in completely packed screenings and everyone was great.

Rei no Otaku

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Cranston RI
This is why I go to the movies at 10am. If I'm not the only one there it's just a couple of old people who never talk. Also the tickets are cheaper. It's fantastic

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm so envious. Literally after the movie ended my gf and I turned around and just saw nachos all over the place, popcorn- these people were eating like animals.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
My worst experience was in my viewing of A Quiet Place. There were three women in the same row as me who wouldn't stop spouting colour commentary of what was happening in the film and one of them kept taking their phone out. It was an absolutely miserable experience.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For me, it's one of the worst sins. I go to the movie theater to escape this miserable world for 2-3 hours. People have to ruin it.

honavery

Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Had a couple next to us obviously not enjoying Hereditary on Friday night. Laughing at weird times. Making comments, etc.

After seeing it, I did think that general audiences will have a hard time with it. They come in after reading headlines like 'Is there such a thing as too scary?', etc. and then the movie is mostly weird and sad.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Like fuck man I'm just trying to watch a movie.

Maybe because it's a horror film or more of an artistic film if that's the excuse because these people kept being distracting and just plain disrespectful to those that wanted to enjoy a film.

From making clicking sounds throughout the film, to laughing really loud for no reason. I understand that sometimes things can be a little funny but come on! that shit isn't that hilarious especially when it's 2018 and nudity is still funny because they're uncomfortable.

Hopefully you guys get a better experience or just wait until you can watch it at your own house.
A LOT of people go into movies high/drunk

ArcLyte

Nov 1, 2017
I left the theater at the beginning of A Quiet Place because the people behind me decided to open a fucking family sized bag of Ruffles and chomp away.

giphy.gif

fade

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's so weird the difference in audience etiquette I experienced between this and a quiet place. A quiet place people were so quiet I couldnt hear shit except people uncontrollably coughing here and there. This movie seemed to illicit commentary and awkward laughter at some fucked up parts of the movie. I thought this movie was a lot scarier then a quiet place too. Very interesting.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Like fuck man I'm just trying to watch a movie.

Maybe because it's a horror film or more of an artistic film if that's the excuse because these people kept being distracting and just plain disrespectful to those that wanted to enjoy a film.

From making clicking sounds throughout the film, to laughing really loud for no reason. I understand that sometimes things can be a little funny but come on! that shit isn't that hilarious especially when it's 2018 and nudity is still funny because they're uncomfortable.

Hopefully you guys get a better experience or just wait until you can watch it at your own house.
had the same experience tonight.

fortunately it didn't stop me from thoroughly enjoying this amazing movie. but holy shit, people act like 12 year olds when confronted with accepting and enjoying tension vs breaking it for themselves and everyone around them.

OP
OP
Armadilo

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For me, it's one of the worst sins. I go to the movie theater to escape this miserable world for 2-3 hours. People have to ruin it.
It's so cringe, a word that people should sometimes be afraid of but nah..

I left as soon as the credits rolled, I was like screw that bullshit, also some of the people that made noise were the ones that sat in the first row in the bottom. You would try to watch the screen and then someone in the front would just laugh so loud that it made you notice them

Last edited:

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
I saw Upgrade last weekend, and 5 minutes into the movie, a guy came and sat in the empty seat beside me. It was a reserved seating theater, so the seats are grouped in pairs, meaning he was closer to me than anyone else.

First, he smelled like cheese and decided to kick his shoes off. Then, he was shifting in his chair and brought his leg up and hit the arm rest with his knee, jutting it into my side. 10 minutes later, he starts fucking snoring. Some people are absolutely ridiculous.

Slashkice

Oct 27, 2017
Horror movie audiences are the worst. When I went to watch A Quiet Place there was a group of teens or twenty-somethings in the same row. The talking and laughing was annoying, but the strange thing was there were several times they would get up as a group and leave the theatre for a good while before coming back. Having them gone was actually a good thing, but still odd. Why even come to the theatre if you're not going to sit and watch the movie?

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
Horror movie audiences are the worst. When I went to watch A Quiet Place there was a group of teens or twenty-somethings in the same row. The talking and laughing was annoying, but the strange thing was there were several times they would get up as a group and leave the theatre for a good while before coming back. Having them gone was actually a good thing, but still odd. Why even come to the theatre if you're not going to sit and watch the movie?

People like that don't care what their seeing. As long as the room is semi dark and they can be jerks. It will do.

Fantastical

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, horrible experience for me too. There were a group of girls who talked through the whole movie and people were laughing and doing the clicking. Some of it is understandable but people were going overboard.

I generally hate seeing horror in the theater because of the audience, which is unfortunate as it would be a great experience otherwise.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Sorry to hear that OP.

I only go to the cinema to watch event movies like Marvel stuff now. No way I'm watching anything like Hereditary when modern audiences are fucking dumb, loud, smelly and stupid.

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
I saw hereditary as well tonight. Definitely some obnoxious people. I laughed a few times yet kept it mostly super quiet. Some scenes got me excited, I was like seeing Hulk for the first time smashing shit like crazy in Avengers. People doing their phones and searching through their bags of skittles piss me off.

Sadly, never expect a great experience in a theater in a Saturday night. Never ever.

Lurcharound

Oct 27, 2017
UK
That's a shame OP. Idiots ruining your experience (and causing you to waste your money) are the worst.

Thank the theatre Gods I'm in London where I can see films at small chain theatres and avoid this shit. I can't inagine having to go anywhere else.

TBH if the big studios want to preotect cinema experience this is the challenge they need to solve.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Watching A Quiet Place, there was a moronic couple that arrived a minute or two late, and stood right in front of us for like two minutes, arguing with the people sitting there because supposedly they had taken their seats, but it turns out they were illiterate and couldn't figure out what their seats were.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
The correct response is to get management to kick them the hell out and then ask for a pass to make up for the time you missed.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
The cinema experience has been on sharp decline over the past few years. From seats that aren't as comfortable as they used to be, to sound systems showing their age (hissing, cracking, uneven audio), to screens are too dark to cinema lights that don't go out until at least 10/15mins into the movie.

I really hope cinema/streaming to home releases on the same day become a thing soon.

Mistle

Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Exact same thing just happened at my cinema. I imagine they couldn't handle the tension and wanted to seem cool to their friends group.. annoying as fuck though. I can excuse nervous laughter, everyone reacts to horror in different ways, but this was like sarcastic laughter to try and take back control from a challenging film.

Last edited:

Deleted member 31133

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
US I take it? Really, I've never experienced any of that shit in a UK cinema.

The US cinema experience sounds like a nightmare.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
This is why I hate watching horror movies at the cinema. I always try and go at like 11am when there's nobody there.

Friday/Saturday night is a NIGHTMARE for this genre, especially PG-13. The teens can't just let themselves be scared so they have to nervously giggle every time there's a quiet suspense sequence. It's fucking awful.

If I was more patient I'd just wait and watch them at home. The first time I saw Paranormal Activity was at home in the middle of the night and it TERRIFIED me. I guarantee the cinema experience would have been way more annoying.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
Surprisingly, A Quiet Place has a pretty respectful showing where I am. People were mostly silent throughout.

Disco Stu

Oct 27, 2017
Go up and say something to them.

I will walk up to folks during showings and ask them to shut their phones off and/or be quiet.

People are so rude.

Fruit&Nut

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Mar 16, 2018
yeah people laugh at nudity. In Watchmen, showing Doctor Manhattans blue dong was something my crowd found very amusing.

As people have said, it depends on the type of movie, when and where. I've certainly had many annoying experiences. Horror movies in particular seem to be ripe for a bad experience.

But I'll just move to another seat if I find someone close by bothersome. I find that is the best solution, instead of just sitting their and stewing in anger.

Also, tend to go those nice theaters, non multiplex places. It tends to be pretty good at those places. Multiplex can be less than a third of those prices though.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
US I take it? Really, I've never experienced any of that shit in a UK cinema.

The US cinema experience sounds like a nightmare.
I go to the movies every other week generally and haven't experienced anything like it in horror or art house films outside of midnight screening camp fair. Laughing for a second because you're uncomfortable is a pretty common thing with anything in life tho so unless it's a Santa Claus bellow it doesn't bother me.

Edit: to be fair I generally go to the first or last screenings of the day which is less ripe for teeny boppers. Who also wouldn't be seeing something like First Reformed.

Last edited:

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think people walked in to my screening yesterday high and they were making the noises the whole time.

It's like damn, you're so fucking original for doing that the whole time!

JoeNut

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I don't go to the cinema anymore as it's always ruined by idiots being noisy, playing on their phones or kicking seats. It's just not worth the entry fee

Laserdisk

Banned
May 11, 2018
UK
Horror films it's groups of young lads with me, they always laugh really loudly when scared to try and hide it.